Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Poking fun at TV Tropes is most entertaining when it's going after stuff that's on the site rather than the people on its forum. The notoriously small reference pools, for instance. I remember there was a TV Tropes page about feminism, for instance, which very earnestly said something like (probably long since changed, obviously), "Famous feminists include Joss Whedon, Linkara and Dr Eggman from Sonic the Hedgehog".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Don't you mean Small Reference Pools?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I must say, after reading that article I am goddamn petrified of someone presenting me with poetry and asking my opinion of it; I'd not recognize something good if it bit me on the nose. I'll just be reading my schlock over here thank you, leave the philistine alone...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Don't you mean Small Reference Pools?

Please don't press my Berserk Button.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

[quote="“Wheat Loaf”" post="“477109695”"]
“Famous feminists include Joss Whedon, Linkara and Dr Eggman from Sonic the Hedgehog”.
[/quote]

I don't know about Linkara, but I think Eggman is safely the most feminist of the bunch.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Serephina posted:

I must say, after reading that article I am goddamn petrified of someone presenting me with poetry and asking my opinion of it; I'd not recognize something good if it bit me on the nose. I'll just be reading my schlock over here thank you, leave the philistine alone...

I mean, I'm sort of in the same boat - rhyme/meter/phonetics aside, poetry largely comes down to personal taste. I like Stephen Crane and T.S. Eliot along with more recent/unpolished authors like Denis Johnson, Joshua Beckman and Bukowski, but at the minimum all those people at least had something to say (though in Bukowski's case that something was "I am angry and drunk, often simultaneously"). Like many privileged college-educated writers, Kaur has absolutely nothing to say, but has spent years carefully positioning herself to convince people that her lack of talent or message is indicative of some universality of the human experience. Vapidity as virtue.

She exists mostly on social media, she writes entirely in vagaries that let people impress whatever personal message they want onto her little tweet-sized poems, she cadges off others' tragedies while insisting she shares their oppression, and her little hands are covered in shiny, shiny gold. She's the Donald Trump of authors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

She's the Eat Pray Love Sign Sold at Target of poetry.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I mean, I'm sort of in the same boat - rhyme/meter/phonetics aside, poetry largely comes down to personal taste. I like Stephen Crane and T.S. Eliot along with more recent/unpolished authors like Denis Johnson, Joshua Beckman and Bukowski, but at the minimum all those people at least had something to say (though in Bukowski's case that something was "I am angry and drunk, often simultaneously"). Like many privileged college-educated writers, Kaur has absolutely nothing to say, but has spent years carefully positioning herself to convince people that her lack of talent or message is indicative of some universality of the human experience. Vapidity as virtue.

She exists mostly on social media, she writes entirely in vagaries that let people impress whatever personal message they want onto her little tweet-sized poems, she cadges off others' tragedies while insisting she shares their oppression, and her little hands are covered in shiny, shiny gold. She's the Donald Trump of authors.

drat, you're making me really like Rupi Kaur

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
She is truly a remarkable author.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Anyway, for content, let me say that Iain M. Banks's Culture books are absolute tripe. The idea of an all-powerful liberal utopia is fairly interesting, but Banks is mostly interested in recounting various perversities in very dull prose. There's an evil empire - and they make musical instruments out of people! The action scenes are the most revealing part - namely, that despite all these mind-bending technologies and scientific phenomena, people still throw punches and shoot at each other. It's such a relief to read Jack Vance afterwards.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 16:18 on Oct 6, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

people still throw punches and shoot at each other. It's such a relief to read Jack Vance afterwards.

The first book has a dude make poo poo go terribly sideways by not thinking through the consequences of using a laser rifle in a monastery made of crystals, and the book that has a bug up your rear end ends with (Player of Games spoilers) a person that was quite possibly set up from birth by Special Circumstances to topple a backwards empire nearly dying when his opponent decides to rig up the board game they're playing against each other to be a trap to kill the protagonist in a sea of fire. The series literally has weapons made to pull the quantum energy field underlying reality they use for hyperspace into reality. I'm not really sure where that complaint came from.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

His ship and robot action is vastly more interesting than his human stuff - the opening of Excession has a drone escaping from a hacked ship, bouncing of pressure waves, rerouting forcefields, jettisoning memory cores, all takes place over a matter of seconds. It's pretty great.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Botl tried this argument about Banks in the Book Barn and didn't really pan out so I guess he's trying it here.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833655&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is "genre" just science-fiction and fantasy or is stuff like detective novels and thrillers "genre" as well?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is "genre" just science-fiction and fantasy or is stuff like detective novels and thrillers "genre" as well?
"Genre" is everything that's not "literary" - SF, Fantasy, Horror, Romance, Mystery, Thriller, Western, Historical Fiction, Chick Lit, etc.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The first book has a dude make poo poo go terribly sideways by not thinking through the consequences of using a laser rifle in a monastery made of crystals, and the book that has a bug up your rear end ends with (Player of Games spoilers) a person that was quite possibly set up from birth by Special Circumstances to topple a backwards empire nearly dying when his opponent decides to rig up the board game they're playing against each other to be a trap to kill the protagonist in a sea of fire. The series literally has weapons made to pull the quantum energy field underlying reality they use for hyperspace into reality. I'm not really sure where that complaint came from.

You seem to be the easily impressed by Yu-Gi-Oh! tier antics. Banks presents none of that in any interesting form because his prose is utterly forgettable. His writing has a hint of Vancian ambition, but none of Vance's lightness, buoyancy, and cleverness. The last part is important, because Banks simply could not write anything truly clever (his ending twists are just shlock). The likely reason why the game of Azad is so vague in The Player of Games is that it freed him from the burden of describing some intelligent strategies. Vance in contrast managed to produce pop picaresques because he is actually able to write about clever things, and make stories where the heroes in the end have no refuge but their wits and force of will. Like in his Killing Machine, where the protagonist uses a handicrafts centre and avant-garde photography to simultaneously free himself from prison, rescue a princess, humiliate a crime lord of mythic stature, and con an interstellar blackmail organization to the point of bankruptcy.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Oct 6, 2017

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

FMguru posted:

"Genre" is everything that's not "literary" - SF, Fantasy, Horror, Romance, Mystery, Thriller, Western, Historical Fiction, Chick Lit, etc.
Basically, literature that follows genre conventions. Science fiction involves speculation about science and technology. Mysteries revolve around the solution of mysteries. Westerns take place in the Old West. The idea is that there's a type that you're specifically writing to. Of course, "literary" fiction always develops its own insipid genre conventions (there's a hilarious takedown of Jonathan Safran Foer's Here I Am that's just a list of all the things you have to include in your 21st-century Great American Novel; I wish to God that I could find it right now), but following them is a mark of redundancy in a way that, say, including spies in a thriller isn't.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Basically, literature that follows genre conventions. Science fiction involves speculation about science and technology. Mysteries revolve around the solution of mysteries. Westerns take place in the Old West. The idea is that there's a type that you're specifically writing to. Of course, "literary" fiction always develops its own insipid genre conventions (there's a hilarious takedown of Jonathan Safran Foer's Here I Am that's just a list of all the things you have to include in your 21st-century Great American Novel; I wish to God that I could find it right now), but following them is a mark of redundancy in a way that, say, including spies in a thriller isn't.

This one from Washington Post?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Yes, thank you!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

You seem to be the easily impressed by Yu-Gi-Oh! tier antics. Banks presents none of that in any interesting form because his prose is utterly forgettable. His writing has a hint of Vancian ambition, but none of Vance's lightness, buoyancy, and cleverness. The last part is important, because Banks simply could not write anything truly clever (his ending twists are just shlock). The likely reason why the game of Azad is so vague in The Player of Games is that it freed him from the burden of actually describing some intelligent strategies. Vance in contrast managed to produce pop picaresques because he is actually able to write about clever things, and make stories where the heroes in the end have no refuge but their wits and force of will. Like in his Killing Machine, where the protagonist uses a handicrafts centre and avant-garde photography to simultaneously free himself from prison, rescue a princess, humiliate a crime lord of mythic stature, and con an interstellar blackmail organization to the point of bankruptcy.

FYI, I appreciate you balancing your posts by talking about more poo poo you Ike and why it works. It makes them significantly more interesting and pleasant.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

You seem to be the easily impressed by Yu-Gi-Oh! tier antics. Banks presents none of that in any interesting form because his prose is utterly forgettable. His writing has a hint of Vancian ambition, but none of Vance's lightness, buoyancy, and cleverness. The last part is important, because Banks simply could not write anything truly clever (his ending twists are just shlock). The likely reason why the game of Azad is so vague in The Player of Games is that it freed him from the burden of describing some intelligent strategies. Vance in contrast managed to produce pop picaresques because he is actually able to write about clever things, and make stories where the heroes in the end have no refuge but their wits and force of will. Like in his Killing Machine, where the protagonist uses a handicrafts centre and avant-garde photography to simultaneously free himself from prison, rescue a princess, humiliate a crime lord of mythic stature, and con an interstellar blackmail organization to the point of bankruptcy.

What would you recommend as a good starting point for someone interested in Vance?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What would you recommend as a good starting point for someone interested in Vance?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

A Dying Earth omnibus is a good start, but Demon Princes is good if you want a more straight-forwardly heroic but still uniquely off-kilter adventure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Saw Blade Runner 2049, had a trailer for Ready Player One before it. I just realized why it bugs me even more than the previous discussion about the book. The trailer looks like those Playstation commercials. That's literally all this movie will be about.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Having read nothing of RPO except this thread and a few internet takedowns, I suspect that the move will be better than the book, or at least less obnoxious. 'Cause the book seems to go "This was a Firelfly class spaceship, based on the design of the Serenity from hit TV series Firefly by cult director Joss Whedon (who, did I mention, also happens to be president of the world)" at every other turn, but in the move it's just gonna be a spaceship unless you know where it's from.

...unless of course they're gonna have the protagonist go "This is a Firefly blahrgablaa etc ad infinitum" every time some piece of nerd culture shows up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Having read nothing of RPO except this thread and a few internet takedowns, I suspect that the move will be better than the book, or at least less obnoxious. 'Cause the book seems to go "This was a Firelfly class spaceship, based on the design of the Serenity from hit TV series Firefly by cult director Joss Whedon (who, did I mention, also happens to be president of the world)" at every other turn, but in the move it's just gonna be a spaceship unless you know where it's from.

...unless of course they're gonna have the protagonist go "This is a Firefly blahrgablaa etc ad infinitum" every time some piece of nerd culture shows up.

Spielberg's best days are behind him, but he's a fundamentally competent, experienced director with a solid track record of improving on shaky source material (hi, Jurassic Park). I would be extremely surprised if he can match the original book's ineptitude, although he may well manage the greater crime of taking it from 'interestingly terrible' to 'tediously mediocre'.

Darth Walrus has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Oct 7, 2017

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

Spielberg's best days are behind him, but he's a fundamentally competent, experienced director with a solid track record of improving on shaky source material (hi, Jurassic Park). I would be extremely surprised if he can match the original book's ineptitude, although he may well manage the greater crime of taking it from 'interestingly terrible' to 'tediously mediocre'.

There's only so much polish you can put on a turd, though.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

When I read RPO (the first third or so) Cline's lifeless prose was one of the most egregious things to me. So the movie, if it's competently directed, probably won't be as painful as the book solely on that merit--even if the plot and characters and setting are still garbage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, going by the trailer, there's going to be another protagonist voiceover to narrate things. So Cline's awful prose may still show up.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

He's paying bills, figures enough incels will shuffle into RPO showings to turn a profit.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ryonguy posted:

He's paying bills, figures enough incels will shuffle into RPO showings to turn a profit.

Oh poo poo, a bad movie retroactively takes away all the xp points you get from making good movies, poo poo I need to factor this into my calculations for which director has the highest power level

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ryonguy posted:

I don't recognise the screenshot, but I don't think I've seen or heard of a Spielberg movie that totally discards even the most basic elements of cinematography, which you'd need to do to reach the visual equivalent of Ernest Cline's writing. Like, the guy can make a bad Hollywood movie sonetimes, but it remains a bad Hollywood movie. Not, like, The Room.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't recognise the screenshot, but I don't think I've seen or heard of a Spielberg movie that totally discards even the most basic elements of cinematography, which you'd need to do to reach the visual equivalent of Ernest Cline's writing. Like, the guy can make a bad Hollywood movie sonetimes, but it remains a bad Hollywood movie. Not, like, The Room.

Have you not seen Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Dienes posted:

I chose to forget it, does that count?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dienes posted:

I have, yeah, and it was at least functional as a movie. The writing was bad and disjointed, but they mostly knew what to do with a camera and soundtrack. You could at least generally parse what the point was supposed to be, both to individual scenes and to the movie as a whole.

What I'm saying is that there's a pretty vast gap between Spielberg bad and Cline bad - one misapplied his tools, and the other doesn't even know they exist.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haven't all the movies he's done since Kingdom of the Crystal Skull been reasonably good anyway? Maybe there's nothing groundbreaking about, say, Lincoln or Bridge of Spies or even that Tintin movie he did but I thought they were fine.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The nerdrage over Crystal Skull being "Not My Indiana Jones" is pretty overblown too. It isn't a good movie, but it also really isn't a terrible one either.

Its a goofy cash-in sequel that goes for a very different aesthetic and feel than the earlier movies deliberately (50s pulp vs 30s pulp). It doesn't pull it off as well as it could, but its mostly just a mediocre blockbuster.

Which is about what I expect RPO to end up as.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

You seem to be the easily impressed by Yu-Gi-Oh! tier antics. Banks presents none of that in any interesting form because his prose is utterly forgettable.

Or I enjoy seeing the way someone from that super-advanced, hyper lefty culture adapts to being dumped into a rigid empire. The game itself isn't a focus, because the scenes where he's playing are about how he thinks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull but I like all the Indiana Jones movies and also the tv series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Gurgeh stared at the space chess. He considered moving the space king over to the space rook, but then he didn't. Instead, he moved it to the right. He nodded. The robot flew over, and said something bitchy. Gurgeh chuckled, then sighed. "Robot," he said, "please fly away." The robot made a light from his head and then he flew away.

Gurgeh stared at the board. He reflected that the best games were the games that were so hard. And that what this game was. Where would he move the space piece next?

"Well, Gurgeh!" harrumphed the space alien. "Perhaps now you see that the game is so hard?" Gurgeh nodded. The game was so hard. That night, he thought about the space board. He glanded a drug that made the game less hard, but even then, it was still so hard. Gurgeh was immortal and rich, but still he didn't want to lose, because it would be better to win. But the game was so hard.

The robot flew over. "Gurgeh!" said the robot. If you don't win, there will be a space murder, and maybe a space rape!" Gurgeh was appalled. "I must win the space game," he said. He sighed.

The next day, the alien bragged: "I will win the space game! I am the best at winning the space game!" Gurgeh sighed. But then Gurgeh saw what he would do: instead of moving the space piece to the left, he would move it forward. The alien was so surprised. "But... but the game is supposed to be so hard!" But Gurgeh was very smart. He moved the piece again, and in a way that was so smart.

"NOOOOO," shouted the space alien. Gurgeh had made the best move. He had made the best space move. The robot congratulated him, and the girl wanted to have sex with him. "Well," thought Gurgeh, "I will have sex with her. I am, after all... THE PLAYER OF GAMES."

the culture novels are good