Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I liked it! Probably because yeah, it was already finished when I read it the first time. I'm slowly rereading it now, but I lose momentum massively when it's focusing on any of the Alpha kids except Roxy, who is cool and good.

Edit: I'm also listening to the Hiveswap soundtrack at work and some of the tracks are excellent and some are merely okay, but overall I am glad that I bought it.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I mean, freakfuta's not wrong. 'Fun' is a buzzword. Some people have fun hammering nails into their dicks, that doesn't make it mechanically sound or engaging gameplay.

'I had fun', though, is about the nicest thing I can say about Hiveswap. I did somewhat enjoy it, and I did think Cohen did better writing his own character rather than writing existing ones poorly. However, it's too short, got stale too quick. All throughout playing I kept thinking that this would actually be better formatted if it wasn't a game, and instead each gag was presented in a Homestuck comic-style gag, where pointless directions are input and then we go to the next panel. It was WAY too short for the time it's had to be put together.

I think this will begin to take a bit of a downturn once the cast inevitably enters Sgrub/burb somehow, as there's no way that they are going to kill them all off with meteors, and Homestuck's mythos is all tangled up in that game. Especially as I doubt that Cohen can resist the siren call of including them interacting with the original cast in some way, which is one of the biggest dangers of making prequels. I wish Cherubs weren't going to play a key role, but it's completely unsurprising given Shelby's involvement and terrible taste.

6/10

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What's the steamspy #s on hiveswap?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tunicate posted:

What's the steamspy #s on hiveswap?

Pretty decent. About 50,000 owners, 44,000 players, 95% positive userscore, 92% positive reviews. It's not a runaway success or anything but it isn't a flop either. Average playtime is more than three hours, which means most of those people actually finished the game and didn't just dip in for a second before closing it.

Also, more than two million views on Youtube videos with "Hiveswap" in the title since release. A couple of big deal Youtubers have done videos on it. All in all, pretty much as big a success as the team could reasonably have hoped for, I think.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 26, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So is it looking like it'll be financially viable enough to make the other game or at least the other chapters?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So is it looking like it'll be financially viable enough to make the other game or at least the other chapters?

In a bizarre twist of fate, What Pumpkin accidentally sends all their profits to The Odd Gentlemen, who proceed to make another King's Quest, which releases to critical acclaim

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hard to say. There's no way it made back its costs, it's been years and multiple studio restructures, and a lot of those owners will be Kickstarter backers who already paid for the game. It might attract the attention of a publisher who could help to fund a sequel though?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Rough, back of the envelope, assuming absolutely every KS backer opted for the drm free version so that every copy owned on steam was paid for full price, and assuming a standardish 30% cut from steam, the game would have taken in 280k. I dunno, it doesn't seem high enough to me. I imagine they have enough to do act 2 (hopefully it is already significantly started), but the post-TOG funds have apparently been spent and the game was already being funded out of pocket.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It really depends on what budget the sequels might require now that the studio and overall process is established. For all we know they might be able to go on with What Pumpkin's regular Homestuck-related income. They certainly won't need to make another two million.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Was the theft by The Odd Gentleman ever actually confirmed or was that basically anonymous post just taken for gospel?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Malpais Legate posted:

Was the theft by The Odd Gentleman ever actually confirmed or was that basically anonymous post just taken for gospel?

The Odd Gentlemen gave an interview talking about King's Quest that said they were "working on another project" when they got offered that one and jumped at the chance.

It's not too hard to put the pieces together with everything else.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also they've pulled this poo poo before with Neil Gaiman.

Literally the same exact thing.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also the person who posted the account in the first place is an actual friend of Hussie's, and so is likely a good source.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

It really depends on what budget the sequels might require now that the studio and overall process is established. For all we know they might be able to go on with What Pumpkin's regular Homestuck-related income. They certainly won't need to make another two million.

That's true, but even just keeping staff on board for game dev is costly. I guess it helps that this is at least to a degree a passion project for a lot of the people working on it. Maybe they can run on a really small team now that they have the engine down.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Burkion posted:

Also they've pulled this poo poo before with Neil Gaiman.

Literally the same exact thing.

Also this happens in the gaming industry alot, the guys who made Borderlands did a similar thing and got off scot-free.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I think I even said somewhere "Oh, they pulled a Randy Pitchford, but with an indie comic kickstarter and a massive game publisher" when this was fresh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wait, what exactly happened? They took the money and then quit to work on another game? Isn't it possible to prevent that sort of thing contractually?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We don't know how it played out. There was some kind of settlement involved so presumably they could have been sued but Andrew probably wouldn't have had the money or time to go through a protracted legal battle. The truth is we'll never know all the details.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

We don't know how it played out. There was some kind of settlement involved so presumably they could have been sued but Andrew probably wouldn't have had the money or time to go through a protracted legal battle. The truth is we'll never know all the details.

With so many fingers in the pie I'm frankly surprised everyone is as tight-lipped as they are. I know that one person who got canned posted some 3D assets of the sloth lusus but to think that's all you can see after so long.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Dean of Swing posted:

With so many fingers in the pie I'm frankly surprised everyone is as tight-lipped as they are. I know that one person who got canned posted some 3D assets of the sloth lusus but to think that's all you can see after so long.

The 3d assets we've seen are probably all that was done, honestly
and legal repercussions have a way of keeping people tight-lipped

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, the account given of what went down is pretty plausible on its own, especially based on the outcome (settlement to staunch the bleeding but can't talk about it). I'm real skeptical with the numbers they've put up they'll be able to finish their pretty ambitious episode plans, those seem to exist more to keep an optimistic face on the project than anything else. Not to mention at least the remaining episode of "Hiveswap" are meant to be free to people who bought that game, I think? So even if they finish episode 2, they're not getting much fresh revenue for episodes 3 and 4.

I know we don't have much in the way of data on this but my guess is the only way the whole 8-game series gets made is if they manage to crank out a second episode in some plausible timespan to prove they're not completely moribund as a team then attract someone willing to fund episodes 3 and 4 on the assumption that if they can keep their modest playerbase they'll mostly re-up to buy the "second half" of the series.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dolash posted:

Not to mention at least the remaining episode of "Hiveswap" are meant to be free to people who bought that game, I think?
No, each episode is 8 dollars. Backers get all 4 at least, possibly/probably not hauntswitch.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Right, that was it. Which still means a pretty big chunk of their audience for the next three episodes have already paid - I assumed that ~50k number floated earlier already includes those players, there were 24k backers and the majority of those are probably Steam owners now. Probably not everyone who bought the first episode will carry on to buy the second if it comes out, although a little renewed hype over a second episode release might also bring in a few new customers too. Overall not a lot of revenue growth potential to fund ongoing development on their own.

Successful episodic development looks pretty tough for indie developers in the best of times. If your game doesn't take off with that first episode to fund the rest of the season then you're sort of writing checks you don't know you'll be able to cash and with what little reputation you've got so far on the line. Telltale's been successful enough (last I heard) to bank enough to get them through any one season's development regardless of if it's a commercial hit or not but that's not a business model that barely-solvent beginners can copy.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
This all assumes that Hiveswap is What Pumpkin's sole revenue stream. If the WLF merch is still turning a decent profit (and there's no reason to assume that it isn't, given how consistently new items are added) and if the Viz deal works out, that could be enough to bankroll future episodes.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i bought the cat plush, i'm part of the problem

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I'm rewatching Lost and it reminds me a lot of HS, which I read a long time ago on Hussie's blog as something that he referenced as a comparison to the style of storytelling he was doing: several concurrent mysteries and the story acting as a puzzle with things for you to figure out over its span

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Intercepting the Lost ended lovely joke now

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

"You" turning out to be the writers in both cases

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Nikki and Paulo, we hardly knew you

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Created by Andrew Hussie, HOMESTUCK BOOK 1: ACT 1 & ACT 2 is rated ‘T+’ for Older Teens and will be published in April 2018. Future books in the series will be released by VIZ Media on a quarterly basis. Each volume will be a deluxe hardcover, full-color edition of roughly 400 pages in length and will feature new cover art and other exclusive content. Animated content in the web comic will be rendered as frames on the print page, and every page will feature commentary from Andrew Hussie. Digital editions of each volume will also be available through partner storefronts.

VIZ Media’s HOMESTUCK publishing acquisition complements the recent announcement of thelong-awaited release of HIVESWAP: ACT 1 by game development studio What Pumpkin Games (WPG). WPG and Homestuck, Inc. (Homestuck) also announced a strategic partnership with VIZ Media to develop a comprehensive array of additional entertainment content and licensed merchandise based on the HOMESTUCK universe, including both the original web comic and the HIVESWAP game series.

In the HOMESTUCK comic, on his 13th birthday, John Egbert starts playing a mysterious videogame called Sburb. Unfortunately, this triggers the apocalypse. Fortunately, he and his friends can create the universe anew – if they can beat the game. But there’s another group of players trolling them to unknown ends, and a big bad who might be impossible to defeat. They’ll need a lot of teamwork, a little luck, and some inspired shenanigans along the way to make it through this mind-bending, genre-defying adventure.

“We’re very much looking forward to publishing these deluxe compilations of HOMESTUCK. These books are not replacements for the web comic (unfortunately, we couldn’t devise a way to embed the music in paper) but rather companions to it. We hope that they’ll provide both existing fans with an opportunity to re-appreciate the work—especially guided by Andrew’s commentary—and new readers with another gateway to enter this rich universe,” says Leyla Aker, Executive Vice President and Publisher.

Written, illustrated and animated by creator Andrew Hussie, HOMESTUCK is one of the most spectacular pop-culture phenomena of the past decade, a unique and massive internet-based hybrid work consisting of web comics, chat logs, gifs, video games, animation and music. Launched in 2009, HOMESTUCK comprises over 8,000 pages encompassing such diverse genres such as action/adventure, sci-fi and fantasy, comedy, romance, and drama. Beloved by legions of devoted fans for its extensive world-building and engaging characters, it’s a coming-of-age story about a group of friends who start playing a mysterious new videogame that triggers the apocalypse. They can’t save the world, but they can work together to create a new universe–if they can beat the game. Additional information on HOMESTUCK is available at: Homestuck.com.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/viz-to-publish-webcomics-phenomena-homestuck-in-annotated-editions/

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the original print edition had 'author commentary on every page' and 'animated content rendered as frames on the print page'

anyway, this is interesting:

quote:

Digital editions of each volume will also be available through partner storefronts.

i wonder if it'll be a digital conversion of the print conversion of the webcomic or if they'll try do something more with porting over the animation and sound
as flash breathes it's last it'd be nice to see something done to future-proof things

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Homestuck Inc.

Huh.

Hussie's going all in on this being His Life Now.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

So I guess we know where some of the funding for future Hiveswap releases is coming from.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
hussie deserves this tbh

in the sense that this will forever be his life and despite the fact he has clearly lost interest he cannot unshackle himself

its like poetry

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Clawtopsy posted:

hussie deserves this tbh

in the sense that this will forever be his life and despite the fact he has clearly lost interest he cannot unshackle himself

its like poetry

Out of curiosity, whose idea do you think it was to incorporate the Homestuck brand name?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

hussie deserves this tbh

its like poetry

Why does he deserve this, in your opinion?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Plom Bar posted:

Out of curiosity, whose idea do you think it was to incorporate the Homestuck brand name?
I think it was probably their legal counsel suggesting that it would be difficult to trademark MSPaint Adventures for some reason.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Scarodactyl posted:

I think it was probably their legal counsel suggesting that it would be difficult to trademark MSPaint Adventures for some reason.

Pretty sure that reason is because "MSpaint" is already a trademark of Microsoft.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

Probably someone pointing out you can't trademark MSPaint and Homestuck already has a lot of brand recognition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

All y'all are missing the point, and that point is that I'm reasonably certain the decision wasn't made under duress.

Pretty sure that reason is because "MSpaint" is already a trademark of Microsoft.

Gosh, you think so?