Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

magic didn't guard 1s either and had to be played next to Norm Nixon for the first half of his career and Byron Scott for the latter half. They usually started two "other" guards next to him (Nixon or Scott and Michael Cooper). It's exactly the same setup Philly is planning to use.

That's all true, but saying he could be the modern day equivalent to Magic Johnson is stretching things alot. Teams in the 90's and early 2000's were all trying out tall point guards, and even the guys who had successful careers (Steve Smith for instance), didn't end up playing much at all like Magic, despite being compared to him initially.

NotWearingPants posted:

"Not as good as Magic Johnson" is a pretty safe argument to make against someone who has yet to play an NBA game. Let's revisit it in 5 years.

Yeah, this is the point I was trying to make. Not all tall "PG's" are Magic Johnson, it's unfair to everyone to compare a promising rookie who's approximately the same size as Magic and sort of plays similarly to him, before he's played a game.

TBH, I don't think it's possible to have a modern day Magic Johnson with how the game is currently being played. Not one that is successful at least. Tall, slow, unathletic, no defense PG's who can't shoot just don't work in this day and age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
RIP to the best Curry, Seth Curry. Terrance Ferguson has great measurables but played like Terrence Ross, ie shooting and straight line drives when there's not a soul in his path and no defense. That's not an awful thing for his place in the draft, but hopefully he'll be better

DeimosRising posted:

Not sure what I was thinking, I remember him having several monster rebounding games in college. Obviously end of the day Ben Simmons is Ben Simmons and historical player comps are inexact at best and misleading at worst, but that clip of him flying down court looks like nothing so much as a showtime highlight. His speed while dribbling is impressive

Yeah lots of guys are trying it now, but the other key element is getting that extreme arc on the shot, which requires a different form than just doing a Kobe style turnaround with extended leg. All the other imitations I've seen were Dirk's move but with a normal shot.

Fair point, I'll concede

Dante Exum... RIP

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
in Spurs news & preseason observations...LMA clearly bought a billboard ad for himself. still somehow less neurotic and needy than KD
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Lamarcus-Aldridge-speaks-out-about-mysterious-12257991.php

quote:

"I've seen it, but I don't know where it came from," said Aldridge before the Spurs played the Sacramento Kings in a preseason game Friday evening. "I have nothing to do with it. ... But it was cool."
"I would like to meet the person, whoever did it," Aldridge said.

also if Icy Hot Danny Green decides this is a year where he shoots from beyond the arc pretty consistently the league can RIP tbh
Brandon Paul may work out replacing some of Jonathon SImmons' value too, until he also gets paid + poached somewhere else.
yay for year two Bertans. My Latvian son is ready. does he get a ring first or does King Zing? legitimate thought. also good nickname for him "Electric Saw". take it back, man.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

The B_36 posted:

That's all true, but saying he could be the modern day equivalent to Magic Johnson is stretching things alot. Teams in the 90's and early 2000's were all trying out tall point guards, and even the guys who had successful careers (Steve Smith for instance), didn't end up playing much at all like Magic, despite being compared to him initially.

Yeah, this is the point I was trying to make. Not all tall "PG's" are Magic Johnson, it's unfair to everyone to compare a promising rookie who's approximately the same size as Magic and sort of plays similarly to him, before he's played a game.

TBH, I don't think it's possible to have a modern day Magic Johnson with how the game is currently being played. Not one that is successful at least. Tall, slow, unathletic, no defense PG's who can't shoot just don't work in this day and age.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't that mean that a guy with 0 NBA minutes is going to be a hall of famer. I just meant that he is maybe the first in the long line of giant PGs who actually plays like Johnson. No intimation of effectiveness intended

Let us mourn today the final passing of something even cooler, the Next Penny Hardaway. Requiescat in pace, Dante

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

DeimosRising posted:

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't that mean that a guy with 0 NBA minutes is going to be a hall of famer. I just meant that he is maybe the first in the long line of giant PGs who actually plays like Johnson. No intimation of effectiveness intended

Exactly.

But, that said, Ben Simmons is probably going to be a Hall of Famer.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

There is a new NBA beef, but look a little closer and it’s not really all that new. Former Rockets coach Kevin McHale, fired by Houston 11 games into the 2015-2016 season, made news Friday when he said the Rockets’ franchise player and perennial MVP candidate James Harden was “not a leader.” On Saturday, Harden fired back, saying of the Hall of Famer, “He’s a clown, honestly.”

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

agreed, jimbo

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

DeimosRising posted:

Let us mourn today the final passing of something even cooler, the Next Penny Hardaway. Requiescat in pace, Dante

Shaun Livingston was the Next Penny.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I just read Harden's full comments and I'd say he comes out looking like the much better person. The clown quote will be the headline, but I thought overall he made a very reasonable and convincing argument that Kevin McHale is an rear end in a top hat.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Not really fair - he got hurt. He might have been! Who knows?

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 8, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

NotWearingPants posted:

Not really fair - he got hurt. He might have been! Who knows?

If anything the freak injury derailing/ruining his entire career makes the comparison more appropriate in a very unfortunate way

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Also, Livingston totally wasn't, he didn't have anywhere near Penny's speed or agility in general

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Livingston never played anything like Penny even before the injury. He was a floor running break guy and had no jumper and (unlike his later skill set) no real half court PG skills and no post moves. Penny played like Jordan in the year he played PG, only not as good. Huge hops, impeccable handle, tons of back to the basket moves, great 2 point jumper, Kyrie like body control around the basket.

Didn't Lebron used to say Penny was his favorite player and the guy he modeled his game on as a kid?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

McHale never got over that or Harden getting him fired.

And, :rip: Connie the Hawk Hawkins. That was a Big Hands People.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
:lol: Lacob wanted to lowball Steph on his new contract: https://sports.yahoo.com/report-warriors-gm-bob-myers-kept-owner-joe-lacob-lowballing-stephen-curry-165936380.html

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
penny was so goddamn good and also cursed

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao kris dunn is already injured

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Light years ahead

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

On one hand, like most super rich owners Lacob overestimates his impact on the team being a dynasty and probably thinks he can catch lightning in a bottle again if the labor starts getting unruly and expensive. On the other, it's a team full of betas who would skip a company happy hour celebration because their manager complained that there already was a team lunch the previous week and that's a lot of time missed

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 8, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

in Spurs news & preseason observations...LMA clearly bought a billboard ad for himself. still somehow less neurotic and needy than KD
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Lamarcus-Aldridge-speaks-out-about-mysterious-12257991.php

The idea of a famous multi-million basketball player buying himself a billboard is just hilarious to me for some reason. A hearty sunday morning laugh.

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao kris dunn is already injured

Saw that notification when I woke up and my first thought was "Yay, Bulls might get a higher draft pick for it" but realised that actually it might not make a lick of difference.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
harden generally talks like a PR robot so he must have been pretty pissed off to say mchale was a clown.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Gary Harris, 4 years and $84 million.

MV you were absolutely correct about him; he's turned out to be really good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Gary Harris, 4 years and $84 million.

holy loving poo poo

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Anytime someone compares a player to Magic, show them a Magic pass highlight video. His passing was just absurd. There have been other bigger guys that can pass for sure, but not that I've seen that make my jaw drop like Magic highlights.

The B_36 posted:

I think if Magic came up now, he would be able to shoot slightly better since he would have grown up attempting 3s instead of them simply not existing. I think a team could have Magic with his exact skillset and still be a contender. I know it's been almost 10 years and the game has changed to emphasize 3 point shooting even more since then but the 08 Celtics won a title with a PG that could not shoot.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 8, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

10 years is a lot

Also magic would start at pf in today's nba.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
There's more to shooting than just 3PT, imo Magic's career 83.8% FT is representative of his mid-range
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLRoEuCSIhw

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
there was a cool post on ~reddit~ about kareem's '85 finals mvp bid with links to highlights of his and magic's (and worthy's, who, god drat, was awesome).

i'll post it here because it offers some fun context for the series and because of how radically different those games were from today. the players looks physically very different, though the uniforms surely have something to do with that, and they all pack the paint like whoa.

the lakers were running an almost d'antoni like fast break offense against the celtics' halfcourt game, though you won't see the celtics too much because the highlights are lakers centric.

anyway, magic, kareem, and worthy were really cool.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/74vo1s/a_look_at_kareem_abduljabbars_1985_nba_final/

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

ragle posted:

There's more to shooting than just 3PT, imo Magic's career 83.8% FT is representative of his mid-range
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLRoEuCSIhw

I definitely subscribe to the idea that good FT shooters can be good 3pt shooters simply due to consistency of mechanics.

I think players with high FT percentages in earlier decades are portable into this era of "pace and space" if they were to focus on their 3pt shooting etc.

I don't know any off the top of my head, but are there any modern players who are good at the FT line but terrible from distance?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I don't know any off the top of my head, but are there any modern players who are good at the FT line but terrible from distance?

Ricky Rubio, Derrick Rose

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Kyle Lowry is a guy who had good FT shooting and eventually built a jumper out of it.

I thought I could recall one or two oddball role players who were decent-to-good three point shooters and 60-70% free throw guys but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

chunkles posted:

Kyle Lowry is a guy who had good FT shooting and eventually built a jumper out of it.

I thought I could recall one or two oddball role players who were decent-to-good three point shooters and 60-70% free throw guys but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Bruce Bowen.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Jr Smith

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

chunkles posted:

Bruce Bowen. But that's probably why you're drawing a blank.

E:f,b

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/mrmichaellee/status/916879069538594816

China Klay is crazy. shoutout to his divine comedy Satan inspired logo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Spacebump posted:

Anytime someone compares a player to Magic, show them a Magic pass highlight video. His passing was just absurd. There have been other bigger guys that can pass for sure, but not that I've seen that make my jaw drop like Magic highlights.

I think if Magic came up now, he would be able to shoot slightly better since he would have grown up attempting 3s instead of them simply not existing. I think a team could have Magic with his exact skillset and still be a contender. I know it's been almost 10 years and the game has changed to emphasize 3 point shooting even more since then but the 08 Celtics won a title with a PG that could not shoot.

Rondo was bailed out by having three HoFers around him and teams being fooled by his passing stats

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lmfao I miss you Jae

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Is that Rose's HS girlfriend?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

NickRoweFillea posted:

https://twitter.com/mrmichaellee/status/916879069538594816

China Klay is crazy. shoutout to his divine comedy Satan inspired logo

goddamnit Klay give me some of that weed you got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Is that Rose's HS girlfriend?

http://nypost.com/2017/08/25/derrick-roses-new-cavaliers-teammate-is-dating-his-ex/

yes

• Locked thread