Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

exmarx posted:

i crunched some numbers

Where does the Maori party fall on that graph?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Somfin posted:

What Mario party? :thejoke:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Somfin posted:

They're the blue dot.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

They're the blue dot.

Huh, I was assuming they'd fallen off the graph on the 'anti-immigrant' axis due to their plan of actual slavery

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

So in, like, an hour we find out whether Winston goes with National or if it is actually anyone's game?

Or is that just when the results start coming out?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
That's when the special votes are in, and Winston's decision is going to be heavily informed by how that shakes out.

At the same time, Winston's decision still isn't due for ages so don't get your hopes up.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I meant that if Lab/Green doesn't gain any seats after the specials I don't think there's any chance Winnie would go with them. A one seat majority is too tenuous.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

He said he would announce by the 12th. Real negotiations won't start until specials are in.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

bike tory posted:

So in, like, an hour we find out whether Winston goes with National or if it is actually anyone's game?

Or is that just when the results start coming out?

We get the whole lot at once afaik (worth remembering that they've also spent the past couple of weeks re-counting all the votes too)

the more seats labour/greens get, the stronger winston's position to negotiate with national.

at least Golriz is guaranteed to get in :toot:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nats lose two seats, Lab/Green gain one each

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/final-election-results-special-votes-give-labour-and-greens-another-seat-each-national-loses-two

e: :argh:

that's quite the swing

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 7, 2017

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

nice

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

One be each for Labour and Green National down 2

Edit beaten like TOP

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Turnout up 2% on last election, only down slightly on althe recent high in 2005

e: looks like Labour were only ~5000 votes away from picking up a second seat from National. If labour do form a government they need to change the electoral act to allow same day registration

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 7, 2017

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Also Act got 10k votes and get a seat in parliament and maori and TOP got 3-4 times that amount and get none that should be addressed too

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Absolutely, but an overhaul of MMP is a lot more contentious than simply allowing people to register to vote on election day, and probably would've allowed about as many people to vote as voted for TOP.

e: does anyone have a link to actual numbers on the special vote? I cbf reverse engineering it from the final total

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 7, 2017

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am happy to have MMP in the first place. Not oppose to tweaks but you got to be hella careful about it. Allowing registration on election day is pretty harmless given you can do this up to the day before.

The biggest thing I want from MMP is massively increased education on know how MMP works so everyone can mock people arguing MMP is FPTP. Everyone who tries to argue the biggest party has the "Moral mandate" should be told "That is not how MMP works you stupid gently caress head" repeatedly and nothing else because every single one of them are doing it in bad faith.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/newzealand/comments/74rwjz/comment/do0of83
This reddit comment has some numbers for specials. NZFirst and National did worse in specials everyone else looks like they did better.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
gently caress Duncan Garner

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/97625919/duncan-garner-dear-nz-how-do-we-want-to-look-in-20-years

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Holy poo poo that's probably the worst thing I've seen him write, and he's written some pretty egregious poo poo

"None of what I say here in this column is intended to be racist or anti-foreigner."

*Proceeds to be explicitly racist and anti-foreigber*

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bike tory posted:

Holy poo poo that's probably the worst thing I've seen him write, and he's written some pretty egregious poo poo

"None of what I say here in this column is intended to be racist or anti-foreigner."

*Proceeds to be explicitly racist and anti-foreigber*

The first half of the article is near Trump like rambling I can't make heads or tails of barely related to the rest.

It's a bit nationalistic and he constantly flies off on tangents. I can't disagree with the need for planning and should include immigration.

But then he goes full on racist about Chinese out numbering Maori but I hate mainlanders and their BS so I don't want more of them. Yes, yes I bloody know this is a discriminatory thought crime but like hell am I going to base any vote or action based on this unless I am in Hong Kong or they gently caress with me which happen with a far higher rate than everyone else.

It is a shockingly poorly written article for someone who should have far better than average command of the English language.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mmm, "securing our future," huh? For "your" great-grandchildren? Who's great-grandchildren are you talking about there, Duncan? Because it sure isn't the great-grandchildren of any refugees. Why do you think that, Duncan Garner? Why should I be concerned about the future of my great-grandchildren, Duncan Garner? Why are you bringing them up in the same article where you're expressing very explicitly vague worries about non-white people? Do you think I'm a white person, Duncan Garner?

Look, I'm not saying that those words are always a cryptofascist signifier. I'm just saying that when you're writing an anti-non-white diatribe you should probably make sure that there aren't any easy phrases that shitheads like me can pick out to say that you're throwing up a little over half of the 14 words.

Because that's exactly what Duncan is doing.

E:

Duncan Garner, Stuff.co.nz commentator posted:

Let's design our country to make it better for us. Bring in the people by all means but send them to where we need them. Let's not give them what they need from us so easily.

What the gently caress is Duncan Garner referring to here

Somfin fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 7, 2017

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

oohhboy posted:

It is a shockingly poorly written article for someone who should have far better than average command of the English language.

He's quite thick.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I for one am shocked that a white male nz newsreader is racist

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Marvellous

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What a tool.

The important thing though is that when we have more "South Asians" than Māori (remind me when you have ever cared for their presence before, Duncan) is will they have the moral right to form a government??

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
He's having a meltdown on twitter about it.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Duncan Garner posted:

None of what I say here in this column is intended to be racist or anti-foreigner.

But...

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Robo Captain posted:

He's having a meltdown on twitter about it.

What are the rules on twitter for bullying and abuse exactly? Asking for a friend.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What are the rules on twitter for bullying and abuse exactly? Asking for a friend.

I think it is covered under Judith Collins' harmful digital communications act.

Actually we need a test case for the courts so go hog wild!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

None of what I say here in this column is intended to be racist or anti-foreigner.
But it most definitely should come across as being outwardly pro-NZ.

Look, I'm not anti-foreigner, I'm just pro-Aryan.

quote:

The question is, where's the affordable homes? Answer, um we forgot to plan and build them. Sorry. Next time maybe.
Do we have a Minister of Population and Planning? Of course not. The incoming prime minister should make this a priority. It should be a senior job.

It would signal a new Government is serious about securing our future in a rapidly changing world.
Labour is planning a new Minister for Pike River. Populist and smart, sure, but hardly a game-changer. Who has our collective backs in the battle for the best quality of life in the future? I'm not sure yet.

Oh things have gone to poo poo because for the last decade the government failed to do their literal job correctly. Instead of placing blame where it's due better pre-emptively blame labour for not creating a new senior position to fix everything.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Link the tweets or screenshots at least for those of us who aren't on Twitter.

Also I'm glad my vote was finally counted and it made a difference!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

NZAmoeba posted:

Link the tweets or screenshots at least for those of us who aren't on Twitter.

Also I'm glad my vote was finally counted and it made a difference!

Yeah, those special votes were loving wreckage. Blissful silence from so many of the usual mouthbreathers. NZ Young Nats have gone radio silent.

I was anticipating maybe 1 flip from National into like NZ First or whatever, but 2 flips from National to both of the parties I wanted to win is pretty exciting stuff.

And yeah, all I could dig up in his twitter were some increasingly frustrated "google it"s so links to the meltdown proper would be appreciated

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Goodbye twitter haters.

The putrid vile smell of twitter bile is laid out at the very bottom.

Just a few examples of the intolerance, hatred and madness when a very small bunch of permanently aggrieved groupies start violently punching their keyboard.

It's an awfully angry, abusive and ultimately sad little hangout from hell.

And it's got angrier. And more feral. I've been told to 'suck a dick, that I'm a 'c @"& and a f@ukwjt.

I usually genuinely enjoy interaction online and it's good that journos and the public can reach out and talk and get conversations going. That's who I am. I pride myself on accessibility and being approachable and genuine unlike so many who simply couldn't give a toss.

Calling me a racist bitch is lazy and lame and clearly it shows people don't know me at all. Nor do they have any idea about my life. Twitter here is an angry child full of self-appointed wana-be intellectuals that believe they're truly superior. But many of these people hide cowardly behind anonymity. Gutless. These people are abusers, verbal abusers. So I am out. I will use the extra time on myself and kids. No problem there. I have no intention of hanging around and will leave twitter as soon as I hit the dump button.

Facebook comments recently have been nasty too. Last week a truly horrid man on FB attacked Ingrid Hipkiss's ankles. What a prick. The list goes on. I'd never welcome that into my house so why should I let it into my life at all.

Immigration, population and planning is crucial and we have to get it right. I stand by all that. This week is mental health week and online bullying is rife in NZ but seriously some people on twitter need to review how they engage before they do some serious damage.

The totally inaccurate assumptions on twitter today were just hopeless and when you point that out they point to something else.

Twitter lost me today because twitter and its people have no idea about me and my bi-lingual kohanga and Kura kids, the immigrant neighbourhood I live in and my boy's school where 55 languages are spoken and my wife is dedicated to the mainly immigrant community as a teacher aide - she treats and loves all those kids and new arrivals with total love and warmth.

And they are my son's friends. Good bye twitter and the angry aliens that populate your echo chamber. I suggest you book yourself in for anger management counselling. I've done it. I hope you're humble enough to look in the mirror and think about your approach. Are you being the best version of yourself? Bye.

I refuse to post the c-bomb one.

Twitter hate: This below is from the @selfcarebastard (so bravely and cowardly anonymous)

oh hello @DuncanGarnerNZ you racist little bitch

This serial offender - Giovanni Tiso

While I'm here, and I know it's been touched upon, but speaking as an immigrant, and with all due respect: @DuncanGarnerNZ, go gently caress yourself

@snarkymcsnarkface (another gutless anonymous tough guy) calls me a white supremacist

Really running the white supremacy lines strong today Tat

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Someone needs a safe space

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
https://twitter.com/DuncanGarnerNZ/status/916691277470560256

snowflakes

altright garner confirmed

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
yeah apparently there's a ton of nz neo-nazis, cool cool cool.

including this guy, who's a friend of Mike Sabin: https://twitter.com/Methcon

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The best part of the twitter harrassment are the Asian people tweeting selfies to Duncan Garner of them in lines at shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://thespinoff.co.nz/media/08-10-2017/duncan-garner-went-buy-undies-at-k-mart-and-came-back-in-agony-for-nzs-soul/

• Locked thread