Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well yeah but you cannot call an award that has gone to Kawabata, Morrison, Saramago, Marquez, Naipaul and Walcott a failure to execute

It's also not gone to Joyce, Nabokov, Borges, Woolf, Tolstoy, or Rushdie, and has gone to more Scandinavians than Africans. But yeah the last few decades are a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Rupi Kaur, a trending poetess of Instagram, has recently gained critical acclaim online for her newly published poetry collection milk and honey which is a stunning depiction of trauma, survival, love, womanhood, and friendship. Identifying as a first-generation Canadian, Punjabi-Sikh, woman of color, Kaur works visually in her book and on Instagram to portray and subvert how space functions to produce the gendered, diasporic subject as a body that is “unhomed.” Through the complex interplay of illustrated imagery and verse, Kaur contests the violent spatial (and bordering) practices of nationalism by positioning her poems’ personae in new and different ways to occupy, produce, and claim space off and online—performances of celebration, reclamation, resistance, and ultimately, acts of (de)colonial self-love. Kaur’s art and cyberspatial narration adds an important dimension to considering the colonial project of space. Occupying space on Instagram, Kaur supplants the place where women have traditionally been relegated. It is exactly the embodied telling of Kaur’s artwork that she attributes to the importance of its public nature: the Instagram becomes the home—rehomed by her art—whereas the nation becomes the network. Through Kaur’s narratives shared online, Kaur connects to a cyberspatial sisterhood and demonstrates that healing through narrative is necessarily collective.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

Her nose is seriously impressive.

How come you've never said anything about Mitch Albom's nose

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

“This guy is the best,” she says, noticing an edition of Kafka’s complete stories; she’s referring to Peter Mendelsund, the book’s designer.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

tbf a good book cover is really nice

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Peel posted:

tbf a good book cover is really nice

If my disposable income were, like, an order of magnitude higher I would literally buy everything the Folio Society has made. Don't get me wrong: they're absolutely overpriced based on the relatively few number of illustrations and so forth. But they are gorgeous.

Man, looking at the page, they have a printing of The Exorcist now. Goddamnit, they're so hard to order from (my bank rejects the overseas purchase, then I have to call them, then they say to try again, it fails again, then they put me through to someone high up who has to push the purchase through manually).

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

There's a worse phenomenon than Rupi Kaur which I find really funny and it's the very horny typewriter men of Instagram

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

As discussed before, you shouldn't read a book unless the cover is either a bunch of floating geometric shapes or a male silhouette running down an abstract hallway

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 25, 2022

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

How come you've never said anything about Mitch Albom's nose

I've not seen a picture of him until just now, and I can't find any that really allow for a good evaluation of his schnozz, so I will have to remain agnostic with respect to the Albom nose for the moment.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I think WIlliam Vollman's remarkably ugly.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

J_RBG posted:

There's a worse phenomenon than Rupi Kaur which I find really funny and it's the very horny typewriter men of Instagram

cosmic brain: they're the same

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

I think WIlliam Vollman's remarkably ugly.

he looks like beebee880

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Malone Dies was the poo poo

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

WatermelonGun posted:

Malone Dies was the poo poo

I should read the trilogy again.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I read The Trial for the first time and it rules, now I want to read more Kafka. I've just read that and Metamorphosis, what would you consider essential by him? Or should I just read it all?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The Castle is one of my best books 5 eva

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
just read it all, maybe leave Amerikkka last

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Ya, reading all of Kafka isn't an insurmountable task.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I bought Tristram Shandy and after reading a sermon and being asked for his opinion on it Trim and Toby are just endlessly talking about fortifications again, for like the 3rd time, good book.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

smug n stuff posted:

I read The Trial for the first time and it rules, now I want to read more Kafka. I've just read that and Metamorphosis, what would you consider essential by him? Or should I just read it all?

Penal Colony, Country Doctor, Hunter Gracchus + the one where an orangutan explains why he's upset that he revaled he could talk are top tier Kafka shorts. The Castle is amazing. Read it all everything he wrote is great I'm probably forgetting loads of short stories that are amazing he was good at writing

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

I bought Tristram Shandy and after reading a sermon and being asked for his opinion on it Trim and Toby are just endlessly talking about fortifications again, for like the 3rd time, good book.

Tristram Shandy is myt favourite book where multiple penises get crushed

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

CestMoi posted:

Penal Colony, Country Doctor, Hunter Gracchus + the one where an orangutan explains why he's upset that he revaled he could talk are top tier Kafka shorts. The Castle is amazing. Read it all everything he wrote is great I'm probably forgetting loads of short stories that are amazing he was good at writing

I like the one where a mole is worried.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Would Eco's fiction be considered serious fiction? I liked In the Name of the Rose, but found Foucalt's Pendulum too... up itself. Currently reading Baudolino.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Samovar posted:

Would Eco's fiction be considered serious fiction? I liked In the Name of the Rose, but found Foucalt's Pendulum too... up itself. Currently reading Baudolino.

I'm currently reading Pendulum for the SHAMEFUL thread and it's totally way up itself

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I got just the opposite impression. I mean, Eco obviously did his research, but overall Pendulum is playful, an old-fashioned erudite prank like the Anatomy of Melancholy or something.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

smug n stuff posted:

Just get the complete short stories, after that you'll only have two novels left (unless you REALLY care about reading letters he wrote to other people)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

smug n stuff posted:

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Just get the complete short stories, after that you'll only have two novels left (unless you REALLY care about reading letters he wrote to other people)

Don't forget this.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

drat now we just need a volume of all the ad copy Vonnegut wrote for GE

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Samovar posted:

Eco is good because he's way up himself

Baudolino is also good but I feel only for medievalists

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Oh man, this sounds amazing.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

whats it mean for a book written by an academic smart man to be 'up itself'

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

at the date posted:

I got just the opposite impression. I mean, Eco obviously did his research, but overall Pendulum is playful, an old-fashioned erudite prank like the Anatomy of Melancholy or something.

Well yeah, but there comes a time where you have to end a joke.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Samovar posted:

Well yeah, but there comes a time where you have to end a joke.

wrong-o

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
pendulum good, eco good. i will not brook disagreement on this point

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tree Goat posted:

pendulum good, eco good. i will not brook disagreement on this point

There needs to be healthy disagreement lest this become an eco chamber

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Samovar posted:

Well yeah, but there comes a time where you have to end a joke..
Literally the point of the book: they tried, but the joke won and ended them instead.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There needs to be healthy disagreement lest this become an eco chamber
Didn't you make this same joke when you started the Eco pun derail earlier in this thread?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Didn't you make this same joke when you started the Eco pun derail earlier in this thread?

I guess there must be an eco in here

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
get out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Pendulum is extremely good because I myself am a self-righteous globetrotting rear end in a top hat