Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
God they really blew the implementation of Dark Arks. Instead of being terrifying fortresses of death and destruction they are a huge PITA special army that needs an insane amount of extra babysitting and that is always one reinforcement range miscalculation away from being obliterated by some level 5 lord with a mediocre 3/4 stack. I've had to reload my current Malekith game several times because my MAX level Dark Ark with a full stack of tier 1 troops as a garrison was out of reinforcement range and it got killed by some garbage high elf stack. The only way I have found to keep them secure to have both of my arks next to each other at all times, with 4k worth of garrison troops lest some random 5 dragon HE stack obliterate 50 turns of hard work.

They need to be mobile settlements with legit garrisons. Implementing them as regular armies always in boat stance just highlights the games terrible naval combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Pendent posted:

Is there a way to make your units do an attack move like when you alt-left click a target with a locked formation without having to, you know, have an actual locked formation?

I'm about 95% sure shift+Rclick will do that, but I almost always use locked formations so I can't commit all of the way to that answer.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

cheese posted:

God they really blew the implementation of Dark Arks. Instead of being terrifying fortresses of death and destruction they are a huge PITA special army that needs an insane amount of extra babysitting and that is always one reinforcement range miscalculation away from being obliterated by some level 5 lord with a mediocre 3/4 stack. I've had to reload my current Malekith game several times because my MAX level Dark Ark with a full stack of tier 1 troops as a garrison was out of reinforcement range and it got killed by some garbage high elf stack. The only way I have found to keep them secure to have both of my arks next to each other at all times, with 4k worth of garrison troops lest some random 5 dragon HE stack obliterate 50 turns of hard work.

They need to be mobile settlements with legit garrisons. Implementing them as regular armies always in boat stance just highlights the games terrible naval combat.

Surely it wouldn't be too much work to make a Black Ark specific map, they're giant floating castles. A simple siege map would do, then the standard "closest applicable terrain" map for fights the Black Ark instigated like in 1.

Man I hope the mod scene gets to it. At the very least let them engage coastal cities.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

cheese posted:

It really emphasizes that the nonexistent naval combat is bullshit in a game with so many islands and sea crossings. Since the AI perfectly knows how far to travel to murder your guys, it makes sea travel much more un fun than it should be.

The Heroes of Might and Magic games had special maps for sea battles, along with various Lord skills that affected them- I don't see why we can't just have a generic map with ships lashed together with a myriad of choke points. Then you could have the more naval-oriented units (like Black Arks, or Corsairs) get inherent advantages in these battles.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Kinda - first you have to put them in a group and formation then you have to hit that lock button

Then when you shift click they will kinda path into stuff. I don't think they remember to charge not sure

It's not as useful as you'd like

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i dont like how my soldiers just disengage and stand around sometimes, I thought maybe it was guard mode so I've been leaving it off, but nope they'll still do it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Anyone else having problems exchanging units between armies. Sometimes they don't even open the menu.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ask yourself, how is the menace below going to work in naval battles, or carnosaurs, or anything really?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Bilge Rats.

Give 'em little pirate hats and hooks.

There's canon Skaven Pirate Clans, c'mon CA.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Ask yourself, how is the menace below going to work in naval battles, or carnosaurs, or anything really?

You're saying you don't want dinosaurs boarding wooden aircraft carriers

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

nopantsjack posted:

any word on when the blood dlc drops?
Same time as Mortal Engines I heard, apparently a couple of weeks.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Skaven submarines are a thing. You'd just need a slightly different animation for when they appear

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hell, they should just do a ship/naval DLC. WH1 was mostly landlocked so it made sense not to bother with real naval combat, but the WH2 map is a lot more water-based and if they're going to make naval supremacy one of the faction's features, they should just go all the way with it. They've got tons of options for how to implement it and even though the naval combat has never been super great in TW, the Warhammer setting allows for some interesting complications that might shake up formula a bit, like flying units, or how magic might be used to affect the "terrain". Plus aside from ships, you could also have sea monster units, and that would be awesome.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
a quick and dirty fix is just to have naval battles take place on islands in the middle of the ocean. Does it make all that much sense? no. Would it be much more fun? yes

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I tried that dragon prince build

It's still really fucky against DE because of how broken witch elves are and if you get a forest map or something

(seriously who thought it good to give a unit an auto proc that is as good as a net - like wtf were they thinking - witch elves are basically the best spearmen to ever exist in any total war game ever + a game genie code)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

you already have cinematic showing how skaven might show up

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo Kroxigors are rad. I didn't really like Mazdamundi's start but the Saurus guy is way more fun given that he gets giant angry alligator people. They've been consistently killing 150+ Skaven in basically every battle.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Hell, they should just do a ship/naval DLC. WH1 was mostly landlocked so it made sense not to bother with real naval combat, but the WH2 map is a lot more water-based and if they're going to make naval supremacy one of the faction's features, they should just go all the way with it. They've got tons of options for how to implement it and even though the naval combat has never been super great in TW, the Warhammer setting allows for some interesting complications that might shake up formula a bit, like flying units, or how magic might be used to affect the "terrain". Plus aside from ships, you could also have sea monster units, and that would be awesome.

It could be awesome, but holy gently caress could it go wrong badly. Balancing ships that range from Age of Sail and Medieval wooden ships to WW1 cruisers, giant sea serpents with castles on their backs and paddle steamers from Mad Max on the Mississippi would be an unholy nightmare.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Pendent posted:

Holy poo poo Kroxigors are rad. I didn't really like Mazdamundi's start but the Saurus guy is way more fun given that he gets giant angry alligator people. They've been consistently killing 150+ Skaven in basically every battle.

Even better, if you get a skink heavens priest and cast harmonic convergence on them they will do to elite Elf infantry what they do to skavenslaves

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

420 Gank Mid posted:

Even better, if you get a skink heavens priest and cast harmonic convergence on them they will do to elite Elf infantry what they do to skavenslaves

My skink heavens priest has a higher kill count than Kroq because the Skaven took over most of my continent and chain lightning did some loving work.

Also dropping an overcharged comet on a bunch of skaven is exactly as fun as it sounds.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Mazdamundi dropping an overcast comet of cassondora on 3 clumped up units of stormvermin at full health ends with them all at ~30-40% hp and less than 50 models standing on ultra

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

CA should introduce naval battles but only if they bring in all the ridiculous poo poo from Dreadfleet like

A frankensteined sea monster corpse filled with skaven and guns

A dwarf ironclad aircraft carrier

An Arabian djinni-propelled ship

A zombie boat made up of shipwrecked boats gathered around a small mountain with a castle on it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

420 Gank Mid posted:

Harmonic Convergence on any early game feral dinosaur turns it into an absolute death machine

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Raygereio posted:

Also people weren't kidding when they said the final battle was easy. I wonder if it would been better if they had taken advantage of the free-for-all mechanic and have the opposing armies spawn in together and also be hostile to eachother. Getting the AI right so that it doesn't ignore the player completely and only go for the other AI factions probably would probably be a bit tricky though.

Given how much FFA battles were talked up and how they clearly feature in the original trailer, I'd bet cash money that the final battle was originally intended to be a FFA until it got removed from the campaign.

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal
Anyone else notice that menace below is bugged? I just watched a spawned unit of clanrats melt my ancient stegadon :negative:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
The icing on the bullshit cake that is Black Arks is that since they are an army, you can't put your Lord in the Ark. You end up with this stupid bullshit where you Ark rides around with 19 units in it and your Lord has to go all alone in his own boat, as if there isn't room on the Ark for him lol.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I've gone down a wormwhole of warhammer total war mechanics that are hidden from the player.

But one thing I couldn't find a concrete answer on was whether spears/halberds can attack from a second rank. They've got more reach than your big standard sword, but I can't find info on whether that let's them get more attacks off as a unit, or if it just lets them get the first hit in. Or maybe it let's them hit big ol' monsters from further away?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

QuintessenceX posted:

Anyone else notice that menace below is bugged? I just watched a spawned unit of clanrats melt my ancient stegadon :negative:

Yeah it's a know issue, they can take down full health lords and heroes in about 10 seconds

It's kinda cool but yeah bad

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Does the AI suffer attrition from Morathi's chaos corruption? It seems to not do anything to defend my lands.

QuintessenceX posted:

They have no-clip on so the can all stand inside each others models and attack what they're fighting. It's so they can properly spawn from the ground and tunnel.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 8, 2017

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I've gone down a wormwhole of warhammer total war mechanics that are hidden from the player.

But one thing I couldn't find a concrete answer on was whether spears/halberds can attack from a second rank. They've got more reach than your big standard sword, but I can't find info on whether that let's them get more attacks off as a unit, or if it just lets them get the first hit in. Or maybe it let's them hit big ol' monsters from further away?

It definitely was this way in older TW games. Now I'm not sure if they scrapped that level of complexity in exchange for spear type units just having more defense and having anti-cav/anti-large bonuses.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Does the AI suffer attrition from Morathi's chaos corruption? It seems to not do anything to defend my lands.

On every difficulty the AI receives significant immunity to most forms of attrition. You can mod it out.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

CA should introduce naval battles but only if they bring in all the ridiculous poo poo from Dreadfleet like

A frankensteined sea monster corpse filled with skaven and guns

An Arabian djinni-propelled ship

A zombie boat made up of shipwrecked boats gathered around a small mountain with a castle on it

You forgot the Chaos Dwarf Mechasquid.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I mean, it's not impossible!

https://totalwarwarhammer.gamepedia.com/Ironclad

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Constantine XI posted:

It definitely was this way in older TW games. Now I'm not sure if they scrapped that level of complexity in exchange for spear type units just having more defense and having anti-cav/anti-large bonuses.

I could probably test this myself. Just by looking at a sword unit and a spear unit fighting each other in slow motion. I suspect it might be just further reach, and the second rank just twiddles their thumbs. But if the models just attack a certain radius around them as long as there's no ally in the way and there's a valid target, as gaps open up in the front rank when models move/die, maybe the second row of a unit of spearman can sneak an attack through the gaps with their longer range before it's filled again.

I think I have to grab a mod to fight individual units against each other without bringing in a Lord for each side though. Weird that it's a requirement.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think I have to grab a mod to fight individual units against each other without bringing in a Lord for each side though. Weird that it's a requirement.

That's kind of how it was in the tabletop, the Lord mechanic was pretty important to the balance of certain factions, so every army had to have one.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

I could probably test this myself. Just by looking at a sword unit and a spear unit fighting each other in slow motion. I suspect it might be just further reach, and the second rank just twiddles their thumbs. But if the models just attack a certain radius around them as long as there's no ally in the way and there's a valid target, as gaps open up in the front rank when models move/die, maybe the second row of a unit of spearman can sneak an attack through the gaps with their longer range before it's filled again.

IIRC, spear units don't have extra reach in Warhammer, but Halberds do.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

That's kind of how it was in the tabletop, the Lord mechanic was pretty important to the balance of certain factions, so every army had to have one.

CA started structuring that way in Rome 2.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pretty sure it's been that way in custom battles since uh Empire?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Found High Elf stacks that work pretty well but drat at 7k upkeep each they are nuts to field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

oswald ownenstein posted:

If you like MP just stay away from playing HE until there's a balance patch

Lizardmen with solar engine spam and DE...anything just destroy them

You can't even counter build DE because they can do lots of different builds. With Elf rampage poison is beyond dumb, Death Hag is OP as poo poo, both HE legendary lords are bleh (Teclis would probably be good if HE could field a competent wide army but you're stuck going elite infantry), HE missiles are garbage but DE missiles have AP

It's just a mess now that the meta is shaking out

It's not that bad. I win most of my matches and literally all my MP games are as HE.