Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I saw Archspire and I know I'm old now because I was bummed it was so goddamn loud I couldn't pick out a lot of the melodies. I still love the poo poo out of this new album though. They're coming back through in a little over a month with Origin but if I thought *Archspire* was an indecipherable wall of sound live, well....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is that the same artist for Swallowed's "Lunarterial"?

If so, all his stuff loving owns.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Different guy. Behemoth's "The Satanist" has a similar look too but that's a third guy.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I saw Archspire and I know I'm old now because I was bummed it was so goddamn loud I couldn't pick out a lot of the melodies. I still love the poo poo out of this new album though. They're coming back through in a little over a month with Origin but if I thought *Archspire* was an indecipherable wall of sound live, well....
Wear earplugs. It's not babby stuff. They improve everything.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

Wear earplugs. It's not babby stuff. They improve everything.

I believe in earplugs but they also mostly block out the treble and mid, in my experience, and I was already struggling to pick that poo poo out amid the insanely loud low end.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I believe in earplugs but they also mostly block out the treble and mid, in my experience, and I was already struggling to pick that poo poo out amid the insanely loud low end.
Personally, my ears turn loud highs and mids into an indecipherable, hissy mess and that makes it much harder to discern anything when the low end gets loud.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Highs being loud cause discomfort after a few minutes for me because I went to too many shows as a dumb kid without earplugs and gave myself permanent damage, so music that is all mids and lows is hugely preferable to me.

Like, say, bolt thrower.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

Like, say, bolt thrower.

Brave opinions coming out in the metal thread.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I got a pair of fender musician earplugs and I really, really wish I had got a pair 10 years ago

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I keep meaning to spring for a molded pair for comfort's sake but I'm afraid that'll still leave me with a lovely 'house sound so bass heavy that all I can hear are my bones rattle' experience just like etymotics do.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So, I can't vouch for more expensive molded plugs, but the quality does get better as you spend a little more. I have a pair of Earasers and not only are they very comfortable, but they let more of the highs and mids through, and you can hear conversations more easily too.

I can also suggest using more aggressive, cheaper ear plugs but pulling them out slightly until you achieve a better mix without letting all that hiss back in. Understand you're compromising their protective value but it's still way better than nothing. The adjustments will be very slight, and you'll likely have to keep adjusting them since they're no longer fully inserted.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
ahh earplug chat again

wear earplugs you loving retards.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Weaponized Cum posted:

wear earplugs you loving retards.

No offense to Bolt Thrower, but I think this should be the title of the thread.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Etymotics are cheap and good earplugs and I keep them on my keychain now. Tinnitus sucks.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
New Keldian track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah2HkjFrBGM

The generic heavy metal riffing at the start is.... not a good fit for them, honestly, but other than that it's definitely Keldian. I.e. smooth, catchy and pleasant to listen to.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nordick posted:

New Keldian track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah2HkjFrBGM

The generic heavy metal riffing at the start is.... not a good fit for them, honestly, but other than that it's definitely Keldian. I.e. smooth, catchy and pleasant to listen to.

This is difficult to enjoy even on an ironic level.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

They finally added the entire Blind Guardian discography to Apple Music yesssss!!!! I just made a Facebook post about how 10 years or so ago I got really obsessed with them out of nowhere and bought their entire discog at the local record store in one go. They still make me just as happy listening to them today.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

New Dreadnought album is streaming on No Clean Singing. Highly recommended for fans of esoteric prog stuff like In the Woods... and Dødheimsgard.

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2017/10/05/an-ncs-album-premiere-and-review-dreadnought-a-wake-in-sacred-waves/

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
I wish they would release an album but here is some new Plague Widow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oceb5UBUy4

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I lost my very OG Plague Widow shirt from 2012 to an ex and I'm still bummed about it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

dont even fink about it posted:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Listening to some classic cuts by Vintersorg today at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuWMwvBxRE8

I wish I knew Swedish but drat that chorus is good.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

HOLY SHET MOTHERFUCKERS LISTEN UP

https://tubeunblock.me/watch?v=lrcZC3qDChs

e: morbid angel

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Mr. Pickles posted:

This has already exceeded my expectations.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Detective Thompson posted:

I would agree. I'm done with all the cycles of grief, Bolt Thrower is dead.

BOLT THROWER!

Also wtf, Khorne is not spelled like that, this title sucks

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

This has already exceeded my expectations.

yes its exceptionally good, I'm very very aroused

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 6, 2017

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

They finally added the entire Blind Guardian discography to Apple Music yesssss!!!! I just made a Facebook post about how 10 years or so ago I got really obsessed with them out of nowhere and bought their entire discog at the local record store in one go. They still make me just as happy listening to them today.

The new remasters for Battalions of Fear and Follow the Blind are pretty good, but Night at the Opera sounds like poo poo. I have no idea why they couldn't have used the original or the 2012 version.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Listening to some classic cuts by Vintersorg today at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuWMwvBxRE8

I wish I knew Swedish but drat that chorus is good.

Put it like this, it is probably better if you don't know. Also rather bad vocals for singing in Swedish, sounds like a worse version of the singer in Dia Psalma or some other punk band.
But hey, better than Sabaton.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

dont even fink about it posted:

Earplugs are cool and all but honestly we should just make this the thread title.

pospysyl posted:

The new remasters for Battalions of Fear and Follow the Blind are pretty good, but Night at the Opera sounds like poo poo. I have no idea why they couldn't have used the original or the 2012 version.
Uh the original sounds absolutely awful though? I mean even back in the day when I knew even less about this poo poo I was like "God, this album sounds like a boiling kettle of porridge".

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pickles posted:

apart from the production sounds like something off of formulas

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Cardiac posted:

Put it like this, it is probably better if you don't know. Also rather bad vocals for singing in Swedish, sounds like a worse version of the singer in Dia Psalma or some other punk band.
But hey, better than Sabaton.

:colbert: Now Mr. V is a good singer!

Also it's all about elves and poo poo, I used google translate. Still better than most of the poo poo I listen to.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Just started listening to the new Black Dahlia album on spotify and it's pretty rad.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Mr. Pickles posted:

good to hear them ripping again

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Detective Thompson posted:

Metal Thread #19862017 - Wear earplugs, listen to Bolt Thrower

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spirit Adrift - Starless Age

Holy poo poo I love this.

pospysyl posted:

I don't remember what the original sounded like honestly so I should probably avoiding comparing them huh?

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

The new Black Dahlia is really good, plus there's a new Haemorrhage out.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't remember what the original sounded like honestly so I should probably avoiding comparing them huh?

There's almost no guitar in the mix on the original. It's pretty poo poo. Hearing the songs live and on the live albums was kind of a revelation.

Also yeah new Black Dahlia fuckin slays.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

New BDM is full of killer riffs but it's all blending together for me. That's how they have been for me for years though. It's not bad but I don't know.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

New BDM is full of killer riffs but it's all blending together for me. That's how they have been for me for years though. It's not bad but I don't know.

That's how they've been since the beginning

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How are the metal groups J Mascis did, Witch and Heavy Blanket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How are the metal groups J Mascis did, Witch and Heavy Blanket?

Witch is pretty good. Especially their first album.

Haven't heard Heavy Blanket though.