Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
The Thousand Sons don't really have that much wack poo poo. Tzeentch doesn't support them the way Grandpappy Nurgle loves his little Death Guard. Their entire existence is a troll and he continues to troll Ahriman ten thousand years later. I agree that a Dreadnought model would look great but rules-wise it would just be a Helbrute with All is Dust, a 5++, and a heavy soulreaper cannon weapon option.

Death Guard have had these models ready for a while now. Reliable rumors were popping up about them YEARS ago. They are a starter set faction and I personally think it was smart for GW to "flesh" them out (huhu) rather than just doing generic CSM again. Chosen don't need a separate kit from CSM and I also have been complaining about that ancient CSM kit for a while now. They're dumb and kind of ugly but not the absolute worst thing. They need to be replaced asap.

Right now they're busy rushing out Codexes so that they can replace the Indexes. AM and AM were rushed af and it shows. I'm not optimistic about Craftworlds at the moment, I doubt that their major issues will be addressed properly. Falcons haven't been good for several editions. They also don't seem to be nerfing units that really could use a point hike but I wouldn't be surprised if Wave Serpents did get a slight adjustment. Right now their priority is getting the books out, DG and Primaris were Big Deal showcase starter factions so they got all the love but I wouldn't expect to see many new model kits (or any really) until every army is up-to-date. Apparently GW can't win either way here; either ppl will complain that they didn't get new models or they'll complain that the 8th edition Codex for their pet army is taking too long to come out because of the new model waves. I prefer that the books come out asap, personally. After that they'll be able to add new units to factions easily since they include new datasheets in the boxes. They could release a new Necron infantry unit, a Tyranid monster, and even a 1KS Helbrute all in the same month, not that I think they'll do anything like that.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
If there is one thing Warhams players are good at, it is complaining at full volume, no matter what happens. We loving kick rear end at it.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I'd rather not asap books that break the game. Also yes seperate chosen vs CSM kits. I don't want basic dudes with so much crap all over them they're hideous. Thats just my opinion an my taste. At that point I'd get basic imperium marines an add details.

An yeah there isn't a no complaint situation for GW. Nature of the business they are in.

Even if a psyker dread was a brute plus dust its nice for the 1k son players to have an only if they use 1k sons. So why not. We have loving DG engines spraying possibly literal crap everywhere why not give them stuff?

A normal brute in 1k sons makes less sense since they're all psykers. All of them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

7 is the sacred number of Nurgle so 2017 is going to have all the Death Guard releases

8 is the sacred number of Khorne so 2018 is going to have all the World Eaters releases

9 is the sacred number of Tzeentch so 2019 is going to have all the Thousand Sons releases

Slaanesh is going to get squatted :ssh:

Lmao

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, I imagine 1kSons sculpts would basically just be demon engines and special characters. Maybe a special cultist as a troop option but Tzaangors kinda have that niche covered.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Death Guard got padded out with a bunch of redundant bad terminators and stuff. I don't really understand the model range tbqh and the pricing and lack of included special weapon bits are a huge turnoff. This is the new normal, I guess. People will continue to throw absurd amounts of money at them for ugly models

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I like em :shrug:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
New Death Guard stuff is pretty rad, can't wait to have a play with the multi-part Plague Marines when they arrive.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

see what i mean

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Surely the entire point of the Death Guard is that they're ugly as sin :v:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I take it you don't play xenos then. :v:

I play necrons and tyranids actually.. so I'm getting a codex at least soon.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Ugly is fine those are just way too busy. A mouth here a nurgling there. Now they are a mess. Hell the nurglings distract from the entire marine.

I just like DG better as a bunch if tenacious assholes drowning poo poo in poison an bullets not Ghostbusters slime. Thats all I see with bile spewers.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Two Tazangors, one on the others shoulders stuffed into rubric power armour like a panto donkey

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really really dig the style of the new DG sculpts. But I do think they're a bit over the top in how busy they are.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Won't deny they feel too busy at points. More than a couple of times I've sighed and put a model down 'coz oh oh I've missed a detail and I'm gonna have to start that tiny bit before I can get everything around it done.

In general I like the new aesthetic for them however. The Mark 2/3 armour, the ramshackle repairs to their weapons, the belly plates all appeal to me.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

death guard are truly the gooniest marines

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I do like the old looking armor, battle damaged stuff an the plague flails an knives an stuff.

Just not covered in mouths an nurglings. I am waiting for the DG swinging flails that are just nurglings on chains.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

For_Great_Justice posted:

I am waiting for the DG swinging flails that are just nurglings on chains.

I'm sorry but is this supposed to be a bad idea?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Give me the Nurgling Fanatics

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm sorry but is this supposed to be a bad idea?

I don't know anymore. What is Chaos?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

For_Great_Justice posted:

I don't know anymore. What is Chaos?

We just don't know.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I wrote some bullshit for my severely sub optimal 65 Power Level army that I'm taking to a Narrative Tourney weekend after next. I've popped my Fan Fic cherry. Also needs more gay.

quote:

After fighting for their very existence against the
Hivefleet Leviathan the Blood Angels 3rd company
was in tatters, a mere a shadow of its former self.
As his warriors licked their bloody wounds Dante
hurried about the rebuilding of his chapter. Promoting
Lucuis Vorenus as the new Captain of the 3rd
Company, Dante set him to the task of touring the
star systems in the immediate vicinity to repopulate
BaaL, both with the geneseed of Sanguinus the flocks
of mortal men. Along with the Marines in his
command, the Chapter Master sent with him a Librarian
to weave the tales of Glory won by the Blood Angels
and a Sanguinary Priest to administer the gene seed to
the mortals who thought themselves worthy to accept the
blood of Sanguinus.

The 3rd Company gathered their banners and equipment and embarked
upon the Light Cruiser Locus Delecti. Yet a dark finger was laid across
their path them as they braved the perils of warp-space. Materializing at the
distant world of Taros admits a hot, frothing battle for control of the planet,
Lucius faced a difficult decision. Having only a minimal supply of ammunition
and enough weapons to show off their arsenal to aspiring neophytes, Vorenus
was ill-equiped to fight in open battle. Yet lo, brought his small host down
upon the traitorus guard and filthy xenos threat with great fire and fury.

For Tycho!
For the Emperor!
For Sanguinius!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Got the Imperial Guard codex today and played my first game with it tonight, against my mate's new Death Guard codex. Absolutely trounced him. 24-5 when we called it at the top of the 6th round. Bit of a mismatch, he relied on a load of poxwalkers to almost passively protect his Plaguecrawler artillery-tanks, which we agreed was a poor idea by the end - they just got worn down with lasgun shots as I scored more objectives than him. Plaguecrawlers are tough, heavily armed and versatile as all balls. Fortunately new-codex leman russes are similarly awesome, although lacking that sweet sweet 5++, 5+ disgustingly resilient series of saves.

I used the Catachan regimental doctrine. I really like their vehicle bonus for the traditional-style leman russes. Infantry bonus was useful in this game, as it might not be in most. But really I just think they are the coolest approximation of my regiment's idea (feral/feudal world badasses) while their rules encourage you to play in a fun way. Playing Cadians, you'd just be tempted to sit still and fire every turn. This is no fun for anyone if it works, and it may also be completely counter-productive if you need to move to objectives.

Thoughts on the new codex anyone? There are lot of niggling things I would have liked to see addressed (rifles for sgts? No power weapons beyond swords? Autocannons massively outclassed by lascannons? Conscripts really too good? Chimeras?) but they made tanks really good, lots of fun relics and stratagems, even if unevenly balanced as ever. IG are probably confirmed as strongest army in the game, which makes me a little uncomfortable, but whatever, I don't run out and buy loads of the new hotness and no-one I know plays uber-competitive soup lists or gets upset about them, so I take internet hysteria with a pinch of salt.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Genghis Cohen posted:

Thoughts on the new codex anyone? There are lot of niggling things I would have liked to see addressed (rifles for sgts? No power weapons beyond swords? Autocannons massively outclassed by lascannons? Conscripts really too good? Chimeras?) but they made tanks really good, lots of fun relics and stratagems, even if unevenly balanced as ever. IG are probably confirmed as strongest army in the game, which makes me a little uncomfortable, but whatever, I don't run out and buy loads of the new hotness and no-one I know plays uber-competitive soup lists or gets upset about them, so I take internet hysteria with a pinch of salt.

I just want to run a bunch of Russes and big blobs of cannon fodder Guardsmen so I'm glad that the Codex supports that playstyle. I love the fact that all sorts of fluffy lists look to be viable to some degree or another. Now I just need a few hundred dollars to spend on tiny plastic normal men.

Conscripts really were too good and they still are.

Chimeras got shafted so that they can move more Taurox kits.

Autocannons kind of suck this edition. They don't double out T4 and they don't have great AP, but they're decent against Terminators and other 2 Wound models, I guess.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Do codex still have a fair bit of lore in them, or are they mostly taken up by rules? I am feeling like a super nerd and am interested in learning more about the setting (than I can read in a wiki) now that things are being changed up a bit!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Do codex still have a fair bit of lore in them, or are they mostly taken up by rules? I am feeling like a super nerd and am interested in learning more about the setting (than I can read in a wiki) now that things are being changed up a bit!

The books are full of lore.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Codexes yes, indexes no.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Are you a bad enough dude to keep the floors clean?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

DiHK posted:

I wrote some bullshit for my severely sub optimal 65 Power Level army that I'm taking to a Narrative Tourney weekend after next. I've popped my Fan Fic cherry. Also needs more gay.

I can only hope Pullo is leading the Death Company and Vorenus wants/has to rescue him repeatedly.

Rome is great as is the usage of "hot,frothing battle" in lore post. Good stuff!

Phyresis posted:

Autocannons kind of suck this edition. They don't double out T4 and they don't have great AP, but they're decent against Terminators and other 2 Wound models, I guess.

I've had really good experiences with my autocannons. I've been running two guard squads with flamers, autocannons as the first speed bump/objective grabbers to good effect. Decent range, two shots, and the 2 DMG is usually pretty useful. Use the Str 7 is a bit of a bummer against Marines I agree, but it will threaten just about everything and the 2 dmg is gold against the rise of Primaris. Its also handy to start working on vehicle degradation.

It is a solid all around weapon that I really like with basic Guard squads that tend to move. I save my Heavy Bolters for weapons teams and the Lascannons go on squads in the back.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

If you go to the right wikis you can learn far far far more about 40k than any single book or codex will ever tell you.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Yeast posted:

Are you a bad enough dude to keep the floors clean?
Are you a bad enough dude not to end a sentence in your classified ad in a preposition?

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Got a game in with Morty and the boys against some of my mates sisters today. Morty and the bloat drones carried the match, holy poo poo his scythe is crazy, he murdered so many nuns and nun tanks! Like the chat in this thread has been saying the drones are MVP every time I bring them out. I even managed to down a wounded Celestine by baiting her into changing a drone and drowning her in overwatch acid :barf:

Here are some pics from my half finished army, I gotta pull my finger out and completely paint it all before the end of the month for and event hah!

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Picked up the IG codex and scored 3rd overall in a tourney today. Normal guard that I play got better, and leman russes got SWOLE. I need to get me more of them because they are fun as hell now.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Crazy Ferret posted:

I can only hope Pullo is leading the Death Company and Vorenus wants/has to rescue him repeatedly.

Rome is great as is the usage of "hot,frothing battle" in lore post. Good stuff!

Pullo is the Company Champion. :colbert:

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I played a NidCult vs. Necrons game against a stranger from the Internet today who turned out to be pretty cool. We're in a local nominally competitive group, but it's mostly chill adults with lives. He's also a teacher, so that was funny to BS about over beers while our plastic mans murdered each other. Like myself, he pretty much has sworn off the morass of tragically goony motherfuckers at game stores.

I ran a gimmick tank list of Russes and Carnifexes. He designed a melee-centric Necron list with only one blob of 20 warriors, some Flayed Ones, Immortals, the Deceiver, 1 squad of Wraiths, Vargard Obyron, and Nemesor Zandrekh, who loving turns off aura abilities of your characters that start your turn within 12", so that was awesome. Away we went on random objectives. I learned a few things:

Wraiths can't kill poo poo anymore, but also can't be moved off an objective--just like Warriors.
Bio-flails on Stonecrushers own, and really bring pain to hordes.
Old One Eye is an absolute rear end in a top hat. His Deceiver should have aced him, but he rolled 3 1's on his first round, and only successfully wounded once on his second round of melee. It was highly disorienting for an alpha predator to try to eat a guy only to find he's full of star radiation instead of meat-bits.
Even with doubled turret attacks, my tanks didn't earn back their points. I rolled like absolute poo poo on shooting with my Leman Russes, with the exception being a Vanquisher hit that should have cleaned his Ghost Ark's clock but for :hb: Quantum Shielding :hb:, which cockblocked the only decent shot that made it through.
Carnifexes are not top-tier, but still awesome. They really need OOE as a force multiplier.
My 3 throwaway minimum Acolyte Hybrid squads ended up doing almost as much damage on Ambush charges as the big bugs did--each one deleted the squad assigned to do it, so cleared some Immortals off objectives. So I guess...yay? The Cultists were as effective as their gods.

He was a cool guy and I look forward to slamming more hams.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

How did the Penitent Engines do? Thinking of picking some up for my Sisters. Oh and holy poo poo that is a beautiful flying rot monster dude.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Cainer posted:

How did the Penitent Engines do? Thinking of picking some up for my Sisters. Oh and holy poo poo that is a beautiful flying rot monster dude.

I boxed them in so they could only charge my 30 man Plague Bearers squad and I smote one to death before they got into combat, but god drat those engines killed a lot of guys before they went down, especially when they attack twice! That said I was prepped for dealing with them and drowning them in chaff works especially well with resilient DG chaff. I happily absorbed their charge and damage while my good stuff murdered the rest of the convent.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Rad! I just need some melee in my army. Canoness backed up with Celestians and a priest can only go so far.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So Neophyte Hybrids come in two kits: one completely unique and one of Cadian bodies with GSC heads.

No one will have an issue with me using the latter at IG infantry squads as long as my actual Neophytes are all the unique bodies, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

No, they'll probably think you just kitbashed more thematic Guardsmen.