Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the ending of rakugaki showtime, an arena brawler by treasure, is everyone teaming up to beat the poo poo out of god, who is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CJacobs posted:

You only should be relying on melee if you're totally out of ammo, and even then you'll wanna upgrade it a little first. There's a reason melee upgrades are so cheap though, you can kill enemies in like 2 or 3 swings when it's maxed out. But I only really recommend doing it if you're not that great of a shot.
Hmm alright. I might pump some cash into it then.

I thought I was supposed to have been relying on it more since I was having some trouble in the first two chapters, but having finished 4 now I think I'm getting the hang of it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I have to say that Evil Within feels a bit rougher than I was expecting from the guy who directed RE4, even with warnings going into it that it was a flawed game.

Is there any reason to ever be punching things in this game? Or are we back to original RE1 knife levels for melee?

The game changes completely each chapter. First couple are strictly stealth but eventually you reach a point where you never really run dry.

But the basic gameplay involves knee-capping an enemy then burning them quickly. Sometimes you'll catch multiple guys together. Upgrade your matches ASAP, it will save you ammo.

Lessons learned from my run, the 5th upgrade is never worth it on the first run. 15 matches is great but I never had that many, let alone 30 that the final upgrade allows.

Best upgrades early game are sprint (critical by mid-game), matches, and agony ammo. Critical chance is handy for instant kills. I'd say melee is the least useful.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Sir_Fowler/status/916470292821798912

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Olive! posted:

The combat system is just kind of rock-paper-scissors except you can't tell your party member (monster) what attack to use.

Hmm that's a bummer. I haven't gotten to try it yet. Caretaking was actually kinda busy today.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

al-azad posted:

Not quite. His missiles are unpredictable but you can shake a missile to blow through them all. And you can grab his charged shot and he'll wait until you throw it at him.

I'll say he's just long. Dude takes more hits than any other boss so there's less room to gently caress up. Like first thing I do is hop on a missile and I'm good after that.

The second phase, when his bike's in the background, was always the trickiest for me

Mr.Kattykat posted:

Tried playing a bit of Smash Bros Brawl again since I haven't touched it in like five years. When you're doing well in a battle the crowd starts chanting the character's name, and if you play as Snake they go, 'Snake, Snake, Snakeeeee!'; it's a neat touch that I hadn't noticed before

There are no bad smash bros

Help Im Alive posted:

The B button should be a little Samus helmet

Samus in morph ball!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

Just bad smash bros characters and bad smash bros mechanics :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Looper posted:

PlayStation All-Stars

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

:iit:

I tried to watch a vlp of this and

No. Just no.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-10-worst-and-most-wtf-puzzles-in-adventure-gaming/

quote:

Mystery of the Druids: Change! Change!

A little like Gabriel Knight's moustache puzzle, this is a case where a dreadful puzzle is amplified by being in an otherwise serious game that's trying to be at least passingly realistic; in this case, a Scotland Yard detective called Halligan learning about a group of evil druids with designs on world domination.

Well, I did say 'passingly' realistic.

Mystery of the Druids is a staggeringly awful game that escaped being in Crap Shoot solely because of its length. To fix that, I finally got around to taking it on in my own time and you can see the stupidity in this here video.

One puzzle though stands out above all others. Fairly early in the game, Halligan has to contact a professor at a museum in Oxford, but being a man for whom the description 'colossal arse' was invented to describe, has no wallet, and so no money to make a phonecall from the nearby phone booth.

No problem! Well, no problem for a sane person, who could solve this in about five ways even without being, and this begs repeating, a Scotland Yard detective. Halligan's solution however is to notice that there's a beggar sitting a couple of screens over with a few measly silvers in his begging bowl. Does he borrow a few and come back later to repay the man his kindness? Give the beggar something he needs in exchange for it? Anything remotely sane?

Haha, no. He drives back to London and raids Scotland Yard's forensic department for alcohol so strong that it literally knocks him unconscious after just a sip. He then mixes this with apple juice, drives back to Oxford... we're now at a two hour round-trip minimum here... and slips it to the beggar on the grounds that he'll probably be okay. When the guy falls unconscious, Halligan steals his money to make his phonecall. To add final insult to injury, the guy he's trying to get through to isn't even in. A complete waste of time!

Oh, but wait - it gets worse! First, Halligan is called on this when the beggar not surprisingly complains, and opts to deny it entirely. More importantly however, he has a desk phone. To cover this up, there's a line about how he keeps making expensive calls and so isn't allowed to dial out of the precinct, but that's bullshit on a par with a character popping their head through the door and going "By the way, humans can fly now." As one final cherry on the poo poo-pie that is this man's life, the same detective willing to take two hour round trips to steal from a beggar later has no issue whatsoever doing things like hopping on a ferry to visit France in search of druidic artefacts he's not even sure exist.

The terrifying thing is that while this is easily the game's worst puzzle, it has competition. And even then, it has nothing on some of the terrible, terrible things that Halligan himself ends up doing on the adventure, with the final puzzle especially establishing him as probably the worst hero of all time. Check out the video for the whole sordid story. Goddamn, what a terrible game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the mystery of the druids, the game where you save the world by stabbing your girlfriend and screaming "WHY DID YOU STAB MY GIRLFRIEND BAD GUY"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Retsupurae fellas commented over a Long Play of it, check it out if you like funny guys making fun of the dumbest game

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What if I prefer dumb guys making fun of the funniest game?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You want Men Drinking Coffee's playthrough of Ride to Hell Retribution

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

chumbler posted:

What if I prefer dumb guys making fun of the funniest game?

Goant bombs deadly premonition

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

CJacobs posted:

I'm gonna second this. That playthrough was art.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The final boss is a xenomorph on the statue of liberty.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

al-azad posted:

The final boss is a xenomorph on the statue of liberty.

it's awesome

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Also their playthrough of Raven's Cry.

lets hang out posted:

it's awesome

Wow this game seems like it owns from what I've seen.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

just an fyi I watched this for an embarrassing number of loops before realizing it wasn't the full scene. Which means it's just as effective in gif form as it is in the real film!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Hat in time: Short, but very good for what there is. Stupid cosmetic unlockable system.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

:laffo: I wasn't the only one thinking about it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Atomic Runner Chelnov FTW

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The final challenge at the Nintendo World Championships was a speedrun through an unrevealed Super Mario Odyssey level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLLszlAeXpw&t=421s

Now this is esports

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Colonel posted:

a hat in time is one of the best 3d platformers i've played in years and felt like a blast the whole way through, though world 1 and 4 are rockier than 2 and 3 and the clock tower level in world 3 is a really weird addition. i got kinda weird vibes from the last boss, not cause it was a bad fight, but cause i felt the message the game was going with was cause kinda hosed up given some of the weirder context of the game's development, but that might've just been me overanalyzing stuff. ignoring that though the actual boss and level design was shockingly great and i'd rec the game to anyone looking for a good 3d platformer that takes a lot more cues from mario sunshine than it does banjo-kazooie, and actually does it all really drat well

Its kinda weird. If by clock tower level you mean the Queen Vanessa level, I think it was more of an Amnesia thing than a CT.

Also having played the alphas and beta:

Mafia Town is mostly the same though the market actually starts in one act and one of the mafia pays you for killing everyone. Also the warps are immediately available

Subcon forest was only two levels in the demo - the well and Queen Vanessa. There was no woods hub in the demo, The well is largely unchanged.

Queen Vanessa is actually interesting in that the game is almost identical except the demo had one more floor. That floor involved you chasing a shadow doppelganger of yourself, timing camera flashes and lights to damage it. It was absolutely the worst bit of the demo, so I can't say that I miss it in the final game. Weird that they didn't replace it rather than just remove it.

I mean I only beat it when Vanessa glitched out of existence:spooky:

The Colonel posted:

the finales to world 2 and 3 are two of the best moments in any platforming game i've ever played

tell me your thoughts on the last boss when you get there, cause i feel very weird about it and i wanna get some other perspectives to see if i'm just reading too much into it based on the stuff with jontron and the lead dev

Apparently there are at least 2 different finales to world 2.

There's a lot of weird subtext in that final boss now, but I'm not sure how much actually changed in the course of development, it seems to fit with some of the earlier stuff...but really goddamned weird now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Should I play Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exploded mummy posted:

There's a lot of weird subtext in that final boss now, but I'm not sure how much actually changed in the course of development, it seems to fit with some of the earlier stuff...but really goddamned weird now.

yeah, i hadn't seen anyone else mention it so i thought it might just be me but i really can't shake how loving weird it feels. it was hard to get hyped up for actually beating it because the entire sequence had me questioning what the gently caress they were trying to say and whether i should be really pissed off for it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tag yourself im j.s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Absolutely not lol

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

It is all coming together.

I got real lucky with the Ramsus and Opiomorph fights. Ramsus kept skipping turns after dropping a Fallen One on everyone and the rodent kept healing. The Ether Doubler doesn't improve her healing, so it easily made Emeralda even more of a destroyer. A few turns avoiding a quick game over and he fell down. Opiomorph's buffing ended up doing nothing to lessen all the damage I was flinging at it. Then the hour long cutscene started with fake difficulty bosses in between. Damage caps were reached.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If it's already yours, go ahead.

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BETHEASDA!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The final challenge at the Nintendo World Championships was a speedrun through an unrevealed Super Mario Odyssey level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLLszlAeXpw&t=421s

Now this is esports

Yeah this was rad as hell. And its just like The Wizard :allears:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

It is all coming together.

I got real lucky with the Ramsus and Opiomorph fights. Ramsus kept skipping turns after dropping a Fallen One on everyone and the rodent kept healing. The Ether Doubler doesn't improve her healing, so it easily made Emeralda even more of a destroyer. A few turns avoiding a quick game over and he fell down. Opiomorph's buffing ended up doing nothing to lessen all the damage I was flinging at it. Then the hour long cutscene started with fake difficulty bosses in between. Damage caps were reached.

Aw, they changed the spelling in later versions. In the PS1 version it's zenogias which is is literally Xenogears' katakana and everything wrong with that game's localization.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat the metroid robot. Tooka while cause circle pad is bad but at least it was a unique encounter for a game with painfully bad enemy variety

Gonna finish the game soon but right now i think its a really weak metroid game. And a really uncomfortable game to play in general

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I beat the metroid robot. Tooka while cause circle pad is bad but at least it was a unique encounter for a game with painfully bad enemy variety

Gonna finish the game soon but right now i think its a really weak metroid game. And a really uncomfortable game to play in general

The 3DS is uncomfortable in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
My favorite part of NWC was the surprise Super Mario Bros. Deuxe round. I love that mystery tournaments showcase all these half-forgotten head-to-head modes that are fun on their own but wouldn't necessarily support a full tournament.

• Locked thread