Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

thelazyblank posted:

Kicktrak just needs to not do any projections until like 1/4th or something through the project date. That's about when things seem to normalize to avoid the spike effect of the first few days.
I feel like, much like KS itself, kicktraq did the bare minimum years ago and now just coasts along.

I could be wrong but I swear it uses the same math as it did when I started buying into KSes two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Spiderdrake posted:

I feel like, much like KS itself, kicktraq did the bare minimum years ago and now just coasts along.

I could be wrong but I swear it uses the same math as it did when I started buying into KSes two years ago.

Why not? People pay them money to fudge numbers a little, or feature them on the sidebars and/or ads, and they keep the ball rolling at the bare minimum.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thejacks/monster-dice-the-exquisite-collection-metal-crafts/description

So these look wildly unusable. Though I do dig the D4 design.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Some Frenchmen are making a game based on Jack Vance's Tschai novels (or, rather, their comicbook adaptations?):

https://www.ulule.com/tschai/

It's already funded several times over, Jack Vance is awesome and the art is kinda dope, but it *is* based on Dungeon World, which I am rather tired of.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

7th Continent is bumming me out because it sounds loving amazing on a conceptual level, and choose your own adventure is extremely my poo poo, but it's obviously expensive even without any of the additional content, and the whole now or never aspect of it makes me nervous about getting the base game and then realizing I should have gotten more. Given the mixed reviews actual gameplay seems to be getting, I guess I'd almost definitely be better off buying multiple other games that don't take 15 hours to play instead, but there's still a crazy urge I have to drop 200+ to buy the game and every add-on. Fear of missing out is a hell of a thing.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Fear of missing out is a hell of a thing.

I think that is exactly what many Kickstarter creators are banking on to get people to pledge at higher levels. No one wants to buy a new game and have it be "incomplete" .

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Lightning Lord posted:

I just saw this. EotB is like, a 1e purist or something and feels Mentzer ruined D&D. At least that's the sense I got from skimming the Foot

Oh, that's the Frank they've been talking about. Ugh, just call him Mentzer, the actual memorable name. Yeah, Mentzer made some rather threatening private messages or something and got banned from Dragonsfoot sometime in the past few weeks.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

That's loving absurd.

I'm backing the hell out of this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ShannaGermain/status/916815817337061376

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I hope people get legit value for their ridiculous $300 handbox.

they won't

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

gently caress, do I need a loving statement necklace to play this thing? BRB, Etsyin'

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Why does the d6 design have an 8 and 9 on it?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Jimmeeee posted:

Why does the d6 design have an 8 and 9 on it?

Probably an issue with the prototype/mockup.

Then again it did take them 4 updates to figure out the whole opposites = sides + 1 thing that has been standard for dice for a long time... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thejacks/monster-dice-the-exquisite-collection-metal-crafts/posts/2007765

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Then again it did take them 4 updates to figure out the whole opposites = sides + 1 thing that has been standard for dice for a long time... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thejacks/monster-dice-the-exquisite-collection-metal-crafts/posts/2007765

I'm not a dice scientist. Does this actually matter, or is this another pebble on the mountain of "nerds hate change"?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

homullus posted:

I'm not a dice scientist. Does this actually matter, or is this another pebble on the mountain of "nerds hate change"?

Not evenly distributing the pips on a d6 makes it uneven

This largely doesn't matter nowadays with how different dice are, but it's traditional

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

homullus posted:

It is exactly such a pebble.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think that is exactly what many Kickstarter creators are banking on to get people to pledge at higher levels. No one wants to buy a new game and have it be "incomplete" .

Confession time: I would've bought into gold-plated KS exclusive ships for container had they done this and asked $500. But, well, Container's actually a good game. I actually am kinda disappointed Mercury didn't try to build the usual KS hype with huge stretchgoals for a heavy economic game. It's worked for Gallerist and Lisboa and people happen to like those despite being heavy games and not the usual KS minis-infused schlock.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

homullus posted:

Putting all the high numbers on one side makes it easier to cheat if you practice rolling them a certain way, which is why a lot of people don't like using the MtG spin-down dice in D&D. Rolling them in a cup or not being a turd would remove that risk. If there's flaws in the die that would naturally unbalance it, then you could get favoritism to higher/lower numbers, too.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 8, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Hey wargamers, did you ever feel the need to spend lots of money on a bunch of largely featureless panels to clip together for your battlefield? Well have I got a KS for you: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/259883516/bastion-wars-next-level-wargames-terrain?ref=nav_search

In other news these guys actually look pretty cool: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diehardminiatures/201328040?ref=363366&token=7809ad0b

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Sinteres posted:

7th Continent is bumming me out because it sounds loving amazing on a conceptual level, and choose your own adventure is extremely my poo poo, but it's obviously expensive even without any of the additional content, and the whole now or never aspect of it makes me nervous about getting the base game and then realizing I should have gotten more. Given the mixed reviews actual gameplay seems to be getting, I guess I'd almost definitely be better off buying multiple other games that don't take 15 hours to play instead, but there's still a crazy urge I have to drop 200+ to buy the game and every add-on. Fear of missing out is a hell of a thing.

Mixed reviews?? It's got a 9.0 average score on BoardGameGeek, and is ranked 59th overall, of all board games ever. I would say you're pretty safe in viewing it as a great game. And it is. I can't wait to get it back on the table.

Any one looking at Coma Ward (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/everythingepicgames/coma-ward-the-horror-board-game)? I think this has just about the greatest mix of theme into boardgame that I've seen recently. I really dig the story involving the mentally unstable people as well. The presentation looks wonderful, and I want it to do really well, so that more of the Phenomenon packs are unlocked.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Putting all the high numbers on one side makes it easier to cheat if you practice rolling them a certain way, which is why a lot of people don't like using the MtG spin-down dice in D&D. Rolling them in a cup or not being a turd would remove that risk. If there's flaws in the die that would naturally unbalance it, then you could get favoritism to higher/lower numbers, too.

Yeah, there's good reasons for avoiding all high numbers on one side. The particular issue of "opposite sides all total the same" I think comes from when d6's numbers were just dots carved out of a cube. I know Vegas dice counter-fill those divots with an identical density resin so everything's uniform, and I'm having a hard time picturing it in my head were the pips arranged differently on a die without them, but I *think* it would affect how they tumble. Probably negligibly particularly by modern manufacturing standards, and when the numbers are in numeral form or just painted on this all goes out the window. So it's definitely only by convention now, and if I (personally) were to make note of a die that broke that convention it would only be to ask "what else may they have done wrong if they couldn't even get this right".

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

yegods posted:

Mixed reviews?? It's got a 9.0 average score on BoardGameGeek, and is ranked 59th overall, of all board games ever. I would say you're pretty safe in viewing it as a great game. And it is. I can't wait to get it back on the table.

Maybe I didn't phrase it right, but the impression I got from reading reviews was that people loved the ambition of the game, and exploring the continent, but that the actual mechanics were a bit shaky. I'd love to play the game, but given my all or nothing attitude about it, it seems easier to pass and buy multiple other games than to spend 200+ buying everything for one game I might not like and probably won't find people to spend a dozen hours playing even once.

I think the fact that I'm still waiting on Gloomhaven is making me less willing to spend on another big money game than I might otherwise be. Yeah, I wouldn't receive it until late next year, so that would be plenty of time to do what I'm going to do with Gloomhaven, but it's not like there won't be other quality games to buy before then anyway.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 8, 2017

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Maybe I didn't phrase it right, but the impression I got from reading reviews was that people loved the ambition of the game, and exploring the continent, but that the actual mechanics were a bit shaky. I'd love to play the game, but given my all or nothing attitude about it, it seems easier to pass and buy multiple other games than to spend 200+ buying everything for one game I might not like and probably won't find people to spend a dozen hours playing even once.

I think the fact that I'm still waiting on Gloomhaven is making me less willing to spend on another big money game than I might otherwise be. Yeah, I wouldn't receive it until late next year, so that would be plenty of time to do what I'm going to do with Gloomhaven, but it's not like there won't be other quality games to buy before then anyway.

Fair enough. FWIW, my group enjoyed 7th Continent more than Gloomhaven, although both were successful and good games.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

yegods posted:

Mixed reviews?? It's got a 9.0 average score on BoardGameGeek, and is ranked 59th overall, of all board games ever. I would say you're pretty safe in viewing it as a great game.

Most of those ratings were up before anyone ever received their copy of the game.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Jedit posted:

Most of those ratings were up before anyone ever received their copy of the game.

How much effort would it take to just create accounts to vote up a new game?

I'm not saying that's what happened, but I do often wonder about places like BGG or Rotten Tomatoes, or awards with public voting like the ENnies. What can/do places like that do to prevent ballot stuffing?

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Jedit posted:

That's a pretty bold statement. While I do believe some people put 10 ratings before receiving it... the bulk of the thousands of ratings came in after the game has been available. Anyhow, doesn't matter, you're missing a quite amazing experience of survival and exploration if you blindly pass on this game due to preconceptions and conspiracy theories.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Seems like a comparable situation to Seafall, right? And Seafall's score is garbage.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

yegods posted:

That's a pretty bold statement. While I do believe some people put 10 ratings before receiving it... the bulk of the thousands of ratings came in after the game has been available. Anyhow, doesn't matter, you're missing a quite amazing experience of survival and exploration if you blindly pass on this game due to preconceptions and conspiracy theories.

BGG also has Dead of Winter and TIME Stories scored around an 8 apiece which even going off of the video game journalism school of numerical weight is sufficient to cast doubt on the usefulness of BGG scores for determining a game's quality.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

BGG also has Dead of Winter and TIME Stories scored around an 8 apiece which even going off of the video game journalism school of numerical weight is sufficient to cast doubt on the usefulness of BGG scores for determining a game's quality.

Yeah - TIME Stories is a great cautionary tale on leaning too hard on BGG ratings (or game awards/reviewers). Everyone I've talked to that played it was excited going in, and were excited for the first hour... and then blown away by how poorly it went from there. It went from "hard to find gem" to "Facebook group hot potato" in the course of a couple weeks. The fact that it (or, perhaps even worse, Pandante) still has a reasonable score on BGG says either nobody updates their ratings, or they don't play the games they buy.

I'd wager 70% of newish BGG reviews - and a depressing percentage of boardgame journalism - are based on 0-1 hours of actual play.

Right now, despite finding the idea interesting, I'm certainly getting a fishy vibe off 7th Continent; think I'll wait.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean there's no such thing as a perfect review outlet, you have to pick and choose what works best for you in terms of finding something that lines up with your tastes, but BGG has never once struck me as having an especially discriminating palette in terms of what the community will vote favorable on. Is Star Wars: Rebellion really "fifth highest rated board game" material? Kemet clocks in at number 69 (nice) while Dead of Winter, TIME Stories, Robinson Crusoe and probably some other poo poo I'm overlooking rank higher than it?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

22 hours left on Consentacle

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/990619951/consentacle-a-card-game-of-human-alien-intimacy?ref=user_menu

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There are a bunch of actual reviews of 7th Continent out there and they range from glowing to somewhat disappointed.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I wish BGG would not allow reviews of unreleased games.... Seems that would be an easy fix.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I wish BGG would not allow reviews of unreleased games.... Seems that would be an easy fix.

Personally it should be like a month after ratings come out.

Or better yet ask people how many times they've played the game when they rate it and use that as a soft weighting factor in the back end.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jimbozig posted:

How much effort would it take to just create accounts to vote up a new game?

I'm not saying that's what happened, but I do often wonder about places like BGG or Rotten Tomatoes, or awards with public voting like the ENnies. What can/do places like that do to prevent ballot stuffing?

It’s not that. If you join the BGG and “the boardgame Group” Facebook groups, you’ll see that a LOT of people have really lovely taste. Even now there’s people who are posting about their evening playing monopoly gamer.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

jmzero posted:

Yeah - TIME Stories is a great cautionary tale on leaning too hard on BGG ratings (or game awards/reviewers). Everyone I've talked to that played it was excited going in, and were excited for the first hour... and then blown away by how poorly it went from there. It went from "hard to find gem" to "Facebook group hot potato" in the course of a couple weeks. The fact that it (or, perhaps even worse, Pandante) still has a reasonable score on BGG says either nobody updates their ratings, or they don't play the games they buy.

I'd wager 70% of newish BGG reviews - and a depressing percentage of boardgame journalism - are based on 0-1 hours of actual play.

Right now, despite finding the idea interesting, I'm certainly getting a fishy vibe off 7th Continent; think I'll wait.

I will say - one of the recent updates indicated they're not planning to sell the game at retail due to the high production costs (so many cards!) so while they are printing extra copies to cover replacements and may have some stock at increased price after that, don't count on being able to pick it up later. Unless they do another Kickstarter, I suppose.

I mean, if you're not sold, there's no harm in not having it, but FYI.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

malkav11 posted:

I will say - one of the recent updates indicated they're not planning to sell the game at retail due to the high production costs (so many cards!) so while they are printing extra copies to cover replacements and may have some stock at increased price after that, don't count on being able to pick it up later. Unless they do another Kickstarter, I suppose.

I mean, if you're not sold, there's no harm in not having it, but FYI.

That's the sticking point for me. I'm sold, but not 'buy all the expansions now because they may never be available again!' sold, and feel weird enough about buying a game that might be forever "incomplete" that I'm planning to just bail on it. I noticed that the base game ships in March though, so I might shoot them a message to ask if it would be possible to add expansions on the pledge manager for the October shipment after then.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Chill la Chill posted:

It’s not that. If you join the BGG and “the boardgame Group” Facebook groups, you’ll see that a LOT of people have really lovely taste. Even now there’s people who are posting about their evening playing monopoly gamer.

Yeah, fair enough. But I am still curious what measures are in place or could be put in place. I'm sure nearly everyone is acting in good faith and those who aren't probably don't have enough clout or talent in the boardgame design space to create a popular game.

In RPGs, though, there is a certain author who has been caught sockpuppeting accounts to promote his games and impersonating the RPG equivalent of public figures. This author has won an Ennie. Since the sockpuppeting came to light, I've started wondering how hard it would be to do some good old fashioned ballot stuffing for something like the Ennies. Sure, it could easily just be bad taste in this case, too. But the distance between using fake accounts to promote your game and using fake accounts to win an Ennie is very small morally, though the difference in effort is probably huge. In a fairly split category, to swing a third or worse finish into a first place finish would require at least 1000 accounts.

Creating 1000 email accounts to register 1000 forums accounts would take at least 30+ hours of solid clicking, even if you were making one account every 2 minutes or so (which seems very fast - hard to imagine you could do it much faster than that). I suppose that alone might be deterrent enough.

Probably more efficient by far to go the propaganda route and AstroTurf yourself a fake groundswell and use divisiveness to get people to vote for you out of their misplaced idealism than to actually stuff the ballot box.

So I guess I just answered my own question, sort of. Is there any other technical barrier to stuffing the ballot box other than "nobody wants to spend that many hours on cheating?"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AFAIK there are two ratings for BGG games. One is the geek rating from registered accounts and there is the general rating. General rating includes all votes from visitors. I don’t know what the formula between geek and anonymous ratings are, if there’s any weight attached, or how it figures into their Bayesian system but I can imagine if someone really wanted to you can probably run some sort of script for it can you not?

In any case, the ratings kinda lost meaning wrt quality when the huge influx of new boardgamers who have no idea what games exist and only know about the recent KS hotness started coming in the past couple years. I remember when that happened with me. The day when twilight struggle, Agricola, etc fell off the top of the charts, whenever that is, started signifying that it was a popularity rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, fair enough. But I am still curious what measures are in place or could be put in place. I'm sure nearly everyone is acting in good faith and those who aren't probably don't have enough clout or talent in the boardgame design space to create a popular game.

In RPGs, though, there is a certain author who has been caught sockpuppeting accounts to promote his games and impersonating the RPG equivalent of public figures. This author has won an Ennie. Since the sockpuppeting came to light, I've started wondering how hard it would be to do some good old fashioned ballot stuffing for something like the Ennies. Sure, it could easily just be bad taste in this case, too. But the distance between using fake accounts to promote your game and using fake accounts to win an Ennie is very small morally, though the difference in effort is probably huge. In a fairly split category, to swing a third or worse finish into a first place finish would require at least 1000 accounts.

Creating 1000 email accounts to register 1000 forums accounts would take at least 30+ hours of solid clicking, even if you were making one account every 2 minutes or so (which seems very fast - hard to imagine you could do it much faster than that). I suppose that alone might be deterrent enough.

Probably more efficient by far to go the propaganda route and AstroTurf yourself a fake groundswell and use divisiveness to get people to vote for you out of their misplaced idealism than to actually stuff the ballot box.

So I guess I just answered my own question, sort of. Is there any other technical barrier to stuffing the ballot box other than "nobody wants to spend that many hours on cheating?"

Not really, but it's also not really a problem that's serious enough to merit more stringent measures. Someone who buys a lovely board game because BGG says that it's actually super good isn't buying, like, a box of shredded asbestos and live brown recluse spiders, they're just wasting some money. And yeah, that always sucks, but bear in mind a lot of folks really do like games like that. Some dude at my FLGS was so fuckin stoked to sit down and play his brand new copy of Exploding Kittens, a game that ownership of should qualify as a form of mental illness. Guy loved it. What are you gonna do?