Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I'm not sure if there's really much to his statement beyond a paraphrase of what was already in Humanae Vitae. Which is to say, another article shocked to discover that Pope Francis is, in fact, the head of the Catholic Church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Great podcast Thirteen and Senju. I think we had the aliens discussion in one of these threads.

I disagree with Thirteen about the question of pirated DVDs. Theft is an injustice and requires restitution, and knowingly buying stolen goods constitutes theft as well. But theft admits of parvity of matter. If I steal a cookie, it is wrong, but not as wrong as stealing a car. Generally the line between grave matter and light matter has been drawn according to the value of a day's wages. Now, at least in the US, a DVD has less value than a day's wages, so it would be light matter and venial sin.

Senju Kannon posted:

"oh my god the church is stuck in the sixties"

It is! Just look at the architecture and music! Chesterton said that if the Church ever gets married to an age she would be a widow in the next.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

does greed factor into the gravity of theft? like a poor man robbing a bank seems less bad than a rich one

(also in that scale of theft putting others in danger is something to be concerned about)

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

StashAugustine posted:

does greed factor into the gravity of theft? like a poor man robbing a bank seems less bad than a rich one

(also in that scale of theft putting others in danger is something to be concerned about)

Yes, as well as where it is taken from. If I take $20 from Bill Gates, it does not hurt him that much but is still sinful. If I take $20 from a homeless man who needs that money for lunch, then it can be gravely sinful. If I take $20 from the collection plate at Church, it takes on the character of sacrilege.

One of the great things the Church teaches about theft, is that if you are starving, stealing food is not theft. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36190557

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Senju Kannon posted:

my man francis taking a hard stance against 80s style radical feminism

i can understand how contemporary activists could miss that, they were expecting the church to be dialoguing with people who haven't already been discredited or improved on in the past three decades. nearly four for some radfem thinkers.

I've noticed this even from members of the clergy who are amenable to the progressive stance on LGBT issues (like the St Gallens Group.) Everyone seems stuck in the 80s; which, I guess would make sense since the bishops and cardinals themselves are about in their 80s :P But we're not really going to have constructive dialogue in the Church on LGBT issues while this generation is still in power. I wouldn't expect the average millenial to know about TERFers or second wave feminism or whatever much less a 70 year old bishop.

e: also re: piracy I don't think it's a mortal sin. While theft is a grave matter I would hesitate to call piracy theft since you are not depriving anyone of access to that resource and that historically has been the defining line of what constitutes theft in moral theology.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Worthleast posted:

I disagree with Thirteen about the question of pirated DVDs. Theft is an injustice and requires restitution, and knowingly buying stolen goods constitutes theft as well. But theft admits of parvity of matter. If I steal a cookie, it is wrong, but not as wrong as stealing a car. Generally the line between grave matter and light matter has been drawn according to the value of a day's wages. Now, at least in the US, a DVD has less value than a day's wages, so it would be light matter and venial sin.

This is a very good point, and something I need to consider seriously.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Worthleast posted:

Great podcast Thirteen and Senju. I think we had the aliens discussion in one of these threads.

It is! Just look at the architecture and music! Chesterton said that if the Church ever gets married to an age she would be a widow in the next.

someone tell constantine

The Phlegmatist posted:

I've noticed this even from members of the clergy who are amenable to the progressive stance on LGBT issues (like the St Gallens Group.) Everyone seems stuck in the 80s; which, I guess would make sense since the bishops and cardinals themselves are about in their 80s :P But we're not really going to have constructive dialogue in the Church on LGBT issues while this generation is still in power. I wouldn't expect the average millenial to know about TERFers or second wave feminism or whatever much less a 70 year old bishop.

e: also re: piracy I don't think it's a mortal sin. While theft is a grave matter I would hesitate to call piracy theft since you are not depriving anyone of access to that resource and that historically has been the defining line of what constitutes theft in moral theology.

don't count out the tumblr/twitter generation, people are getting woke

also becoming nazis. but woke, too

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

chernobyl kinsman posted:

also it is sincerely okay if not every religious institution adheres to progressive ideas about sexuality

people are dying because of christianity's teachings on sexuality so no, it is not okay

unless you think lynched gays in africa, the ukraine, and pretty much everywhere people were forced at gunpoint to convert is simply an agree to disagree thing, which is as morally repugnant as the belief that murdering lgbt people is god's will

you cannot convince me that people who say even the most gladhanding "god doesn't like men to have sex with men" position doesn't have blood on its hands

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i also think that every religion should teach only my personal beliefs

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

i also think that every religion should teach only my personal beliefs

i think religions shouldn't support murdering people but scoreboard says i'm not in great company historically speaking

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the Church doesn't support murdering anyone, that's why it opposes abortion ;)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

hey i like this thread when its readable, please dont pick shitfights

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT ABORTION PLEASE DON'T GET OUR THREAD GASSED.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Thirteen Orphans posted:

you guys don't let me have any fun

real answer then: if people die because the church says what the church believes is true, the church should seek to put an end to that. the church should not stop saying what the church believes to be true, nor is it any way morally obligated to do so.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

the Church doesn't support murdering anyone, that's why it opposes abortion ;)

but opposes ENDA, which would allow lgbt people to have workplace anti discrimination laws put in place. considering the fact that the majority of lgbt people are impoverished (also people of color) and considering trans women in particular have difficulty accessing documentation that could help prevent them from being outed during the job search process, it's almost like the church is implicitly condoning the economic subjugation of american lgbt people.

not to mention their rhetoric which supports conversion therapy, an outdated and thoroughly debunked therapy that essentially tortures gay and trans children until they most likely kill themselves

it's almost like there's structures in society that perpetuate violence upon vulnerable people and that the church condones these structures either through silence or support. if only there were people, preferably people of color, who outlined systematically these issues and addressed them to the church in some kind of theology of liberation

StashAugustine posted:

hey i like this thread when its readable, please dont pick shitfights

sorry but these issues are kinda Important and i hate it when people avoid addressing the elephant in the room out of politeness. peace that's the absence of conflict and not the peace of justice martin luther king jr something something

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Senju Kannon posted:

but opposes ENDA, which would allow lgbt people to have workplace anti discrimination laws put in place. considering the fact that the majority of lgbt people are impoverished (also people of color) and considering trans women in particular have difficulty accessing documentation that could help prevent them from being outed during the job search process, it's almost like the church is implicitly condoning the economic subjugation of american lgbt people.

crazy, almost like the church doesn't see the liberation and normalization of lgbt people as a desirable goal in the way that you do

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

you guys don't let me have any fun

real answer then: if people die because the church says what the church believes is true, the church should seek to put an end to that. the church should not stop saying what the church believes to be true, nor is it any way morally obligated to do so.

...do you like, not care that people have killed themselves because they thought they were going to hell for being gay? or are you like... okay with that? with children being told they're going to hell unless they change, who upon finding that they can't kill themselves?

the church teaches that people have same sex urges that can be subdued. this is empirically false. the church believes that according to natural law, same sex sexual behavior is unnatural. this is also empirically false. church teachings about sexuality are fundamentally flawed and lead people to kill themselves or others, or to sanctify the slow death that is systemic oppression. no amount of "well we should stop that" will change this. it is a feature, and has been since the biblical "man who lies with man should be put to death." full stop.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

crazy, almost like the church doesn't see the liberation and normalization of lgbt people as a desirable goal in the way that you do

yeah almost like they want us to die in the street like the aids ridden fags we are

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i'm sorry i just don't find "the church should stop teaching that x is a sin because it causes emotional distress to people who believe themselves guilty of committing x sin" to be a compelling argument. it's not even an argument two people on opposite sides of the issue can really have, because you're presuming that the church's teaching on lgbt issues isn't intrinsically good, and someone defending those teachings would uh not agree with that.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Thirteen Orphans posted:

nah get a mod to change the thread background music to the Mortal Kombat theme and let's have at it imo

i'm trans-positive cathleft raiden, extraordinary form only

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

i'm sorry i just don't find "the church should stop teaching that x is a sin because it causes emotional distress to people who believe themselves guilty of committing x sin" to be a compelling argument. it's not even an argument two people on opposite sides of the issue can really have, because you're presuming that the church's teaching on lgbt issues isn't intrinsically good, and someone defending those teachings would uh not agree with that.

something intrinsically good wouldn't cause LITERAL CHILDREN TO BE TORTURED AND CAUSE THEM TO COMMIT SUICIDE

my argument is "your beliefs kill people" and so far your argument is "it's worth it"

you oppose abortion but don't oppose tormenting children into killing themselves. hope that fetus doesn't turn out gay, in the catholic church's ideal society they'd see some bad poo poo

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Senju Kannon posted:

something intrinsically good wouldn't cause LITERAL CHILDREN TO BE TORTURED AND CAUSE THEM TO COMMIT SUICIDE

my argument is "your beliefs kill people" and so far your argument is "it's worth it"

you oppose abortion but don't oppose tormenting children into killing themselves. hope that fetus doesn't turn out gay, in the catholic church's ideal society they'd see some bad poo poo

1) we aren't consequentialists.

2) we're also not utilitarians.

3) those things are bad; no one should be tortured or commit suicide. however:

if people die because the church says what the church believes is true, the church should seek to put an end to that. the church should not stop saying what the church believes to be true, nor is it any way morally obligated to do so.

4) again, you're begging the question by presuming the validity of your own ethical and meta-ethical framework, which brings us back to:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

It causes a hell of a lot more than emotional distress, that's the point.

Christian groups (I'm speaking about more than just Roman Catholics here) should preach love compassion and understanding of LGBT people as loudly (our louder, preferably) as they espouse their specific beliefs on LGBT issues.

I respect the beliefs of churches and individuals, but the health and well-being of fellow humans and children of God should always come first.

It's a matter of priorities, imo. If your first move is to defend the teachings and doctrine of your church instead of the lives, health, and dignity of human beings... that strikes me as deeply un-Christian.

Note that I'm not accusing you or the Catholic Church of anything in particular here; I'm much more familiar with American Evangelicals in an LGBT context.

LGBT people are victims of discrimination and violence around the world. Let's focus on that first?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Phlegmatist posted:

nah get a mod to change the thread background music to the Mortal Kombat theme and let's have at it imo

i'm trans-positive cathleft raiden, extraordinary form only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM4IE2rOHHw

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pellisworth posted:

Christian groups (I'm speaking about more than just Roman Catholics here) should preach love compassion and understanding of LGBT people as loudly (our louder, preferably) as they espouse their specific beliefs on LGBT issues.

sure, I agree. I'm just pushing the matter a bit hard here because I have no patience for arguments that the church ought to change its stance on x, y or z issue because of [consequentialist argument], and because senju is easy to get worked up.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
i've read one million edward fesers and now i'm rd to fight

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

i've read one million edward fesers and now i'm rd to fight

i dunno who that is but it doesn't matter because SOLA SCRIPTURA baby

i've got some theses and a printing press don't make me use em

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i also don't know who that is

Pellisworth posted:

i dunno who that is but it doesn't matter because SOLA SCRIPTURA baby

speaking of, it's with a heavy heart that i announce that the prots are at it again

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
How do you not know who Edward Feser is. Reading Feser is like the first step for arguing about Natural Law on the internet.

Also "Pastor Mark Driscoll" lol his actual real twitter name should be "shamefully kicked out of two churches, so creepy even the Calvinists don't like me Pastor Mark Driscoll"

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

oh boy, there's a lot going on there (in addition to arguments over the nature of Mary):

1) Jesus turned out "okay"
2) implicit comparison of himself to Jesus

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Phlegmatist posted:

arguing about Natural Law

i haven't been doing that, though. i haven't even referenced the actual doctrinal defenses for the church's position. all i've been saying is that the church isn't morally obligated to adopt progressive sexual politics. hell, i haven't even condemned progressive sexual politics.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

actual serial philanderer Pastor Mark Driscoll posted:

The first thing to know about your penis is, that despite the way it may see, it is not your penis. Ultimately, God created you and it is his penis. You are simply borrowing it for a while.

While His penis is on loan you must admit that it is sort of just hanging out there very lonely as if it needed a home, sort of like a man wondering the streets looking for a house to live in. Knowing that His penis would need a home, God created a woman to be your wife and when you marry her and look down you will notice that your wife is shaped differently than you and makes a very nice home.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i changed my mind im whatever kind of protestant this weirdo is now

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger
Traveling through this world of woe
But there's no sickness, toil nor danger
In that fair land to which I go
I'm going there to see my father
I'm going there no more to roam
I am just going over Jordan
I am just going over home

I know dark clouds will gather round me
I know my way is rough and steep
But beau-teous fields lie just before me
Where God's redeemed their vigils keep
I'm going home to see my mother
She said she'd meet me when I come
I'm only going over Jordan
I'm only going over home
I'm just a going over home

:barf:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byDiILrNbM4

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Mark Driscoll's book Real Marriage is a trip.

God gives him a vision of his wife, who is now pregnant with his child, being sexually assaulted in high school and he threatens to leave her and his wife says it's okay if he wants to and then it about a hundred pages later he's talking about the exciting butt stuff they do.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I believe there is sexual morality, much of which like the unlawfulness of rape is broadly accepted. But I also have many questions in my prayers. On the dilemmas of sexual morality, I am happy to listen to as many perspectives as there are people.

But personally, I cannot think I'm being open to life if I am ever on the other side of someone who is losing hope because of what someone else condemns in them. There is no need for the human heart to be as cold and as lifeless as stone. There is already plenty of that.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Holy gently caress chernobyl, there's a world of difference between "my church does not agree with your 'lifestyle' and reality, which is that your church has murdered millions of people through cultural propaganda, organized harassment and withholding health care.

I guess it's cool that you have a time machine and got here from the thirties, but try to keep up.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

“When I'm jerking off I'm actually giving God a hand job“ is one of the weirder takes I've read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll, uh, just drop this here. (I guess for the first time, I thought I'd posted it before but that was probably another thread.)

It's an open letter from a former Mennonite pastor in his 90s, and the reason he's a former pastor is because he performed a wedding ceremony for his son and another man. He doesn't bear the church any ill will at all that I can see, but he's very clear that he doesn't see the rejection of (in this case) gay people as being compatible with the example set by Christ and by that set by leaders of the early church. It's one of the more inspiring things I've read in some time.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 8, 2017

• Locked thread