Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AceClown posted:

So how do players get on the World Championship? I don't understand how this isn't just Pro Tour 2: Ether Hub Boogaloo

Pro Tour winners, winning the MTGO event, and top pro point winners in different regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AceClown posted:

So how do players get on the World Championship? I don't understand how this isn't just Pro Tour 2: Ether Hub Boogaloo

https://magic.wizards.com/en/content/world-championship-event-types-events

The season's top twenty-four players will be invited to compete in the World Championship. To be invited, you must do one of the following:

Win a Pro Tour during the current season
Be one of the Pro Points leaders of your region
Win the Magic Online Championship of that year
Finish the season with the most Constructed match points from Swiss rounds at Pro Tours
Finish the season with the most Limited match points from Swiss rounds at Pro Tours
Earn one of the top-ranked slots awarded to players with the highest Pro Point totals of the season who did not already receive an invitation to the World Championship

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AceClown posted:

This is a 24 man event that has highest pro point people and pt champions and stuff

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

Search for Azcanta is an amazingly dumb card and I love it.

It's kind of like a JVP for the right deck

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

So it's going to shoot up in price and then stay at levels that are probably too high despite becoming unplayable or borderline unplayable in every format but vintage?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Elyv posted:

So it's going to shoot up in price and then stay at levels that are probably too high despite becoming unplayable or borderline unplayable in every format but vintage?

Being rare I think it'll get into the $20+ range but not anywhere near JVP, at least it's not a mythic so that will help.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't really, no. I watch some streams and screw around with janky decks but I'm not really an eternal format player which is why I'm asking. I'm trying to figure it out.

Not every legacy deck list looks like this but https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-grixis-delver-24421#paper

This is already an example of a very common deck (also see elves) in terms of speed, other decks are generally either cheating by reanimating or ramping, and some just get a little extra value out of very good 2 and 3 drops.

I don't think there's a deck that doesn't play any 1 drops, and there's enough that play a lot. That list above is nearly half 1 drops. In a format with that kind of efficiency and power at 1 mana, every deck plays 4 copies of misstep, either accepting that they're gonna get hit by it or specifically building a deck that doesn't have any 1 drops... Aside from their own playset to hit delver and elves and whatever else :v:

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Death Bot posted:

I don't think there's a deck that doesn't play any 1 drops, and there's enough that play a lot.

Some Chalice of the Void decks(e.g. Stompy, MUD, Tezzerator) play very few or no 1-drops, but Chalice is a card that's actively trying to exploit that asymmetry.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Went through a dozen iterations of "Jacob Van... Poonen????" until I realized you were talking about flip Jace.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Won my FNM with Second Sun last night, feels good, I got to counter a Scarab God with Jace's Defeat, aw yeah.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I am going to HAVE to get two new art horizon canopies when iconic masters hits. I need to add to my mismatched card sets for trolling.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Modern FNM, ran more or less stock Affinity but with Lightning Bolts. I'm really not sure why people haven't tried Bolt already, it's amazing. 3-1, lost to Bant Spirits. Spirits is such a bullshit deck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I am going to HAVE to get two new art horizon canopies when iconic masters hits. I need to add to my mismatched card sets for trolling.

I'm someone who prefers his cards to be uniform, but who on earth gets bent out of shape over someone else having mixed editions of cards?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Tubgoat posted:

Modern FNM, ran more or less stock Affinity but with Lightning Bolts. I'm really not sure why people haven't tried Bolt already, it's amazing. 3-1, lost to Bant Spirits. Spirits is such a bullshit deck.

Affinity doesn't run Lightning Bolts because Galvanic Blast exists.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tubgoat posted:

Modern FNM, ran more or less stock Affinity

Spirits is such a bullshit deck.

:what:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tubgoat posted:

How many time do you find yourself in a situation where Bolt is noticeably better than Galvanic Blast?

Efb;

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am downloading Xmage, friends, since I didn't get into Arena. :smith:

I should not have let myself get back into magic. I'm starting to slide from "I'll just play limited" to "I'll just get some standard-legal duals, since those would be good in anything..."

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tubgoat posted:

loving lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So Ramunap red isn't dominating the tournament?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Pretty sure lightning bolt is only better than galvanic blast in games that you could never, ever win.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

AceClown posted:

I don't get this Worlds tournament at all, say I watch the World Cup for soccer, I can get behind my national team and watch them play all the way to the end (of the group stages GG England) but this is all single players not team based so I don't get it.

Worlds was like a Pro Tour but better until 2012, when it became a weird tiny tournament. Winning a Pro Tour is way more impressive at this point, even if all the players are top tier.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tubgoat posted:

1. gently caress Affinity

2. I really want to build Spirits but there's like three or four other Modern decks that I want to build right now lol. I'll see where I am once I finish my Hierarch and Company playset.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

uninverted posted:

Pretty sure lightning bolt is only better than galvanic blast in games that you could never, ever win.

AlternateNu posted:

How many time do you find yourself in a situation where Bolt is noticeably better than Galvanic Blast?
Efb;

ThePeavstenator posted:

Affinity doesn't run Lightning Bolts because Galvanic Blast exists.

Hold onto your loving asses. Y'all ready for this poo poo?
I run both. :unsmigghh:

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

if I splash green stompy with white, what would be some good cards besides path to add? I'm running loxodon smiter on xmage and path but the rest I added was just some meh enchants I stole from bogles and I don't think they're doing the deck any good

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

if I splash green stompy with white, what would be some good cards besides path to add? I'm running loxodon smiter on xmage and path but the rest I added was just some meh enchants I stole from bogles and I don't think they're doing the deck any good

Voice of Resurgence and Qasali Pridemage are options. Though I don't play modern, so others can determine how valuable they are in main/sb/at all.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Omar al-Bishie posted:

If you want to build a G/W Stompy style deck look into stuff like Watchwolf, Fleecemane Lion, Qasali Pridemage, Voice of Resurgance, Polukranos, and Advent of the Wurm.

You could also check out G/W Hatebears. There's about a thousand different ways to build it and it's always fun IMO.

Either way be prepared to look longingly at Horizon Canopy and wish you had some. Even though it's getting a reprint in Iconic Masters you can almost guarantee it won't drop much in price because the demand for them will far outstrip the print run of the set just like it does every reprint set.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Omar al-Bishie posted:

MTGGoldfish runs a Budget Deck series for Modern and one of the decks they did was Little Kid GW, it looks like a good starting point. That whole series is worth browsing through IMO, at least for FNM-level play.

Cernunnos posted:

Either way be prepared to look longingly at Horizon Canopy and wish you had some. Even though it's getting a reprint in Iconic Masters you can almost guarantee it won't drop much in price because the demand for them will far outstrip the print run of the set just like it does every reprint set.

It's down to nearly half of what it was before it was designated for reprint. Granted it's still pretty expensive at ~$50 but that's way better than $100. If you ever wanted some then now is as good a time as any to get them.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 8, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tubgoat posted:

Hold onto your loving asses. Y'all ready for this poo poo?
I run both. :unsmigghh:

That's a whooooooooole lot of non-artifact slots.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

AlternateNu posted:

That's a whooooooooole lot of non-artifact slots.

Nearly twice the regulation amount, in fact! I could only find 3 last night so I only ran 3, but when I find the last one, I'll make room for it too! I'm not using the set that's in Skred.

4 Arcbound Ravager
3 Master of Etherium
3 Memnite
4 Ornithopter
4 Signal Pest
4 Steel Overseer
4 Vault Skirge
4 Cranial Plating
4 Mox Opal
3 Springleaf Drum
4 Galvanic Blast
3 Lightning Bolt
4 Blinkmoth Nexus
4 Darksteel Citadel
2 Glimmervoid
4 Inkmoth Nexus
1 Mountain
1 Spire of Industry
-
1 Ancient Grudge
1 Back to Nature
2 Etched Champion
1 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Ghirapur Aether Grid
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Nullmage Shepherd
2 Spellskite
1 Walking Ballista
1 Wear // Tear
1 Whipflare
1 more thing

Sideboard needs to get retooled a little, and I may not run the 4th copy after all, but that's what FNM is for; a low-stakes testing ground for completely bonkers builds.
One fellow piloted a Shared Fate deck to a 2-2 finish. :3:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Who loves massive amounts of errata?

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/166162774138/what-planeswalker-redirection-rule-change

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

This is going to break MTGO in half.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Star Man posted:

I'm someone who prefers his cards to be uniform, but who on earth gets bent out of shape over someone else having mixed editions of cards?
Usually, it's the people who tend to card-flick and call the judge claiming you passed priority when you only meant to glance at them.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

If this lets me use Earthquake to take out more than one opposing planeswalker and still damage my opponent, I'm really quite fond of this change. Also they need to release some promo foil Alpha Lightning Bolts to celebrate, since the text will then be correct.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

This is fine as long as they never, ever print a card that deals damage to target player but not planeswalkers.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

im guessing only the few exceptions will receive errata and everything else will be covered in the rules change

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

uPen posted:

This is fine as long as they never, ever print a card that deals damage to target player but not planeswalkers.
Making a card like that seems like one of the main perks of this kind of change? (After Arena, natch)

Tainen posted:

im guessing only the few exceptions will receive errata and everything else will be covered in the rules change
What do you mean only the few exceptions? It literally says 'All of the old relevant cards will have “player” changed to “player or planeswalker”.'

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

uPen posted:

that's the entire point of the change, which is gonna super confuse anyone playing with...well any burn spell printed before champs of ixalan it sounds like

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Hopefully they slap reminder text on everything then because I sure as gently caress can't be bothered to remember if this or that burn spell was printed before 2018.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mandatory lesbian posted:

that's the entire point of the change

No it's not. It's to eliminate a dumb rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

No it's not. It's to eliminate a dumb rule.

a dumb rule you seem to have forgot makes it so you can't target players without also being able to target planewalkers with damage spells