Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

There's a Ramunap deck in Modern?

5 Forest
1 Gavony Township
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Horizon Canopy
2 Misty Rainforest
2 Plains
2 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
3 Birds of Paradise
4 Collected Company
4 Courser of Kruphix
1 Eternal Witness
2 Kitchen Finks
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Path to Exile
2 Ramunap Excavator
2 Scavenging Ooze
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Tireless Tracker
4 Voice of Resurgence

Sideboard:
1 Aven Mindcensor
1 Blessed Alliance
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Stony Silence
1 Surgical Extraction
1 Whisperwood Elemental

It's been popping up here and there, the last time I went to Modern FNM the winner was running this or something very close to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

How were the matches against Tron and the Ramunap deck? I thought Spirits was a dog to big mana decks, and I'm about to finish that Ramunap deck and need to know what to watch for when I play our local Spirits guy.

E: No Kira either?

Spirits is good against classic tron variants but less good against eldrazi tron. Just remember to not over commit to the board while maintaining a clock.

I’ve seen the all in on herald lists before and it has potential but I’m still on the 3 Geist 1 Kira plan.

Added worship and 2x eidolon to the board.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

It's been popping up here and there, the last time I went to Modern FNM the winner was running this or something very close to it.

I may have completely forgotten about Ramunap Excavator and was thinking there was some kind of Ramunap Red deck in Modern now.

God I need to move to a place with a Modern scene.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

How were the matches against Tron and the Ramunap deck? I thought Spirits was a dog to big mana decks, and I'm about to finish that Ramunap deck and need to know what to watch for when I play our local Spirits guy.

E: No Kira either?

I expected the tron matchup to be bad but it turns out that you have a good enough clock to pressure them, and you can dance around a lot of their sorcery speed haymakers with your flash creatures. You also have a lot of nice sideboard options against them: stony silence is great, and a fast curve of creatures followed by hitting their first payoff card with unified will wins a lot of games.

The GW value/ghost quarter company match is all about getting damage in with fliers while protecting your creatures from path. They gain a lot of life and gum up the ground really hard, but you can still expect to kill them pretty quickly if things are going according to plan. Double captain almost wins on the spot. Nebelghast herald made it hard for them to either race or block with birds of paradise. Spell queller hitting their company is a blowout, but my opponent played around that really well. Hope the opponent doesn't blow up all your lands early on, that's how I lost one of the games. Voice of resurgence is good against you, that's probably your highest priority path target after a big knight of the reliquary.

I might try to fit in a copy of Kira, it's definitely a good card.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 7, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Star Man posted:

I may have completely forgotten about Ramunap Excavator and was thinking there was some kind of Ramunap Red deck in Modern now.

God I need to move to a place with a Modern scene.

8 Whack should be able to run 4 Ramunap Ruins.

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013
If any of our wonderful legacy players would like to give me worthwhile advice on a list I would greatly appreciate it. I have been trying to get ready for DC and for some more local events in my area and just finished my list

https://deckstats.net/decks/77592/825627-4c-loam.

Thanks in advance

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

wiskibubbles posted:

If any of our wonderful legacy players would like to give me worthwhile advice on a list I would greatly appreciate it. I have been trying to get ready for DC and for some more local events in my area and just finished my list

https://deckstats.net/decks/77592/825627-4c-loam.

Thanks in advance

I think only 3 bob is a mistake, should be playing 4. I also really like sylvan safekeeper as a zenith target to save your guys. I like more canonists and priests in the board to fight sneak and show/storm. I wouldnt play kaya, she is too slow and bad, even though I love the card.

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013

L0cke17 posted:

I think only 3 bob is a mistake, should be playing 4. I also really like sylvan safekeeper as a zenith target to save your guys. I like more canonists and priests in the board to fight sneak and show/storm. I wouldnt play kaya, she is too slow and bad, even though I love the card.

The reason its 3 is i only own 3 currently I guess if I do pull the kaya I could probably try to get my hands on another bob or turn her into a Lili been toying with the idea of a last hope in the kaya slot

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't really know anything about 4c Loam, but a GSZ deck without Deathrite feels strange.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Elyv posted:

I don't really know anything about 4c Loam, but a GSZ deck without Deathrite feels strange.

Its actually not that good in the deck. Plus youre a 4 chalice deck with diamonds. Also the mana effect and damage effect is pretty mediocre when you want to be loaming all your lands and all your spells can be recurred, so youre dependent on your opponents graveyard only.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

L0cke17 posted:

Its actually not that good in the deck. Plus youre a 4 chalice deck with diamonds. Also the mana effect and damage effect is pretty mediocre when you want to be loaming all your lands and all your spells can be recurred, so youre dependent on your opponents graveyard only.

I've seen a lot of versions of the deck run a singleton to GSZ for but idk if Scooze isn't close to better for that purpose

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013

L0cke17 posted:

There are some versions that run a 1 of DRS but I bypassed that for an excavator due to the fact that once you chalice the DRS is a dead card in your hand. The deck is basically chalice of the void or DRS

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
On a scale of 0 to -10, how good is Dredge in Vintage in October of 2017?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Dredge is always -10. Friends don't let friends play dredge.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

EvilBeard posted:

Dredge is always -10. Friends don't let friends play dredge.

But it's ~*~ChEaP~*~

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dredge is good.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Star Man posted:

On a scale of 0 to -10, how good is Dredge in Vintage in October of 2017?

I just got beaten by dredge in the top 2 of a 21 man vintage event a couple weeks ago. It's real. Hollow one boosted the decks playability.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

L0cke17 posted:

I just got beaten by dredge in the top 2 of a 21 man vintage event a couple weeks ago. It's real. Hollow one boosted the decks playability.

I just ask because I think of it as the "budget" deck for Vintage. You spend around $2,500 for a set of Bazaar of Baghdad and the rest of the deck costs something like $300.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Star Man posted:

I just ask because I think of it as the "budget" deck for Vintage. You spend around $2,500 for a set of Bazaar of Baghdad and the rest of the deck costs something like $300.

I would not buy in unless you really like it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Tried mono-white eldrazi taxes at a small pptq this weekend, only 5 rounds. Only went 3-2, but each of my losses were in game 3 and both were literally topdeck "draw card x or die" situations- the burn player had to draw exactly boros charm to not lose next turn and did, and the grixis control player had to draw exactly snapcaster mage for a k-command to both have a blocker and kill both parts of blade splicer or die the next turn. Feels bad, but thems the beats. Did feel nice knowing that the deck was solid enough to have won any of those games.

I did play storm twice, and that matchup is always such a joke that it's worth playing the deck at comp events. I've never lost to storm at a comp event while playing taxes and there's always a decent number of storm players around.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

L0cke17 posted:

I would not buy in unless you really like it.

I would never buy into any Vintage deck without a decent job to fund it and a Vintage scene to play in. And I have neither of those things.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Can I suggest option C: Don't spend $2,500 on 4 magic cards.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

Unless it's 3x Drop of Honey, and a Tabernacle.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Star Man posted:

as a newcomer to the thread I am suddenly relieved I play modern

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I doubt that I'll ever be able to get back into Legacy since the price of dual lands is loving outrageous and the reserved list will never be abolishes. But I can't even get Modern to fire here despite the fact that people poured a ton of cash into MM3 drafts.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Omar al-Bishie posted:

The extra money is absolutely worth it for how much more fun and interesting the format is, especially compared to modern.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

uPen posted:

Option D: Play at a place that allows some proxies. Most every shop I know that runs legacy tournaments allow 5 - 10 proxies.

And dredge is super fun in every format its legal in. :getin:

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Option D: Play at a place that allows some proxies. Most every shop I know that runs legacy tournaments allow 5 - 10 proxies.

And dredge is super fun in every format its legal in. :getin:

As Long as your dredge deck runs mana sources its fun

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the old Hollywood manaless dredge that ground people out with nether spirits and ashen ghouls and poo poo was really cool and fun

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just like turning Ichorid sideways.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Meeting a friend for FNM this week and letting him borrow Mill since he wants to build it too, which means it's time to experiment with my RG Breach deck!

Deck: RG Breach 171010

//Lands
2 Cinder Glade
2 Forest
6 Mountain
4 Stomping Ground
4 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
3 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
4 Farseek
2 Hour of Promise
3 Lightning Bolt
4 Search for Tomorrow
3 Summoner's Pact
1 Sweltering Suns
4 Through the Breach

//Creatures
1 Courser of Kruphix
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Primeval Titan
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
3 Simian Spirit Guide
1 Woodfall Primus

//Sideboard
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Chameleon Colossus
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Obstinate Baloth
2 Reclamation Sage
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Sudden Shock
2 Summoning Trap
1 Tireless Tracker

Display deck statistics

The biggest changes are taking out two Emrakul and leaning more into the Valakut combo with Hour of Promise, and trying out SSG (which I've seen in some builds of the deck) in place of some other ramp. I could go either way on Bolt, it's still relevant at my usual store but I'm going to a new store this week and don't know what to expect. I miss having extra Baloths or Emrakuls maindeck which could take the place of Bolts, as well as Relic of Progenitus which a lot of Valakut builds run maindeck. I'm also not married to a few of the SB cards, and also want to try out a couple copies of Hour of Devastation which I think will be the new hotness if people start running with the new planeswalker rule. Thoughts on the deck?

E: Also I really want to turn a single Mountain into a Blood Crypt so I can run Slaughter Games in the board, someone talk me out of this.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 12, 2017

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is what I'm currently cooking with:

Deck: Breach Titan

//Lands
3 Bloodstained Mire
4 Cinder Glade
2 Forest
4 Mountain
4 Stomping Ground
4 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
4 Farseek
2 Hour of Promise
4 Search for Tomorrow
4 Summoner's Pact
3 Sweltering Suns
4 Through the Breach

//Creatures
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
2 Obstinate Baloth
4 Primeval Titan
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
2 Wood Elves
1 Woodfall Primus

//Sideboard
2 Ancient Grudge
1 Destructive Revelry
2 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Pithing Needle
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Shatterstorm
2 Spellskite
3 Summoning Trap
2 Thragtusk

Display deck statistics

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Should I hold off on getting a playset of Future Sight edition Horizon Canopies until next month or just get them now for ~$60 each?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Star Man posted:

Should I hold off on getting a playset of Future Sight edition Horizon Canopies until next month or just get them now for ~$60 each?

It ought to drop a good amount; they're printing it at rare. I also want a copy and I'm going to wait.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

2 weeks after whatever it's called Masters releases. That's when everyone will have opened their boxes and stores will have sold out.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

2 weeks after whatever it's called Masters releases. That's when everyone will have opened their boxes and stores will have sold out.

My FLGS owner in my little town isn't a scumbag, so we'll be drafting the set for a good month or two at $30 per draft.

But I want the Future Sight edition, not the Iconic Masters edition, of Horizon Canopy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

This is what I'm currently cooking with:

Deck: Breach Titan

If I don't like the SSGs I'll probably go back to something close to this. I really like Baloth and thinking about it now I'm kind of tempted to go -1 Courser -1 SSG and bring 2x Baloth back in. That would also give me room in the SB for those two Slaughter Games I mentioned earlier :getin:

I had Destructive Revelry as artifact/enchantment hate in the past but switched to RecSages at one point, do you like the Revelry a lot?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just need it for Blood Moon mainly. I have Primus now too. It's fine. It could be a Grip, but I find being cheaper to be relevant sometimes.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

what sort of power differential is there between tier 1 and tier 2 decks, and what places them in those categories anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Omar al-Bishie posted:

what sort of power differential is there between tier 1 and tier 2 decks, and what places them in those categories anyway?

Vague opinion and the consistency/popularity to show up in top 8s regularly