Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A-Wings are just too expensive without that -2 from the refit in the rocket slot. Proton Rockets are effectively +5 points on A-Wings, which is a pretty lousy deal on all but aces that are already expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

I've had some fun with this:

Triple X (T-70) (99)

•"Red Ace" (35) - T-70 X-Wing
•R2-D6 (1), Comm Relay (3), Integrated Astromech (0), Juke (2)

Red Squadron Veteran (32) - T-70 X-Wing
Predator (3), Targeting Astromech (2), Hyperwave Comm Scanner (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Red Squadron Veteran (32) - T-70 X-Wing
Predator (3), Targeting Astromech (2), Hyperwave Comm Scanner (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Deploy Red Ace last to get that evade token from the Hyperwave Comm Scanner, hold on to it with the Comm Relay, and Juke that Imperial scum all the way to the afterlife :getin:

What is the bonus to having 2 hyperwave comm scanners? I thought comm relay was only 1 evade token at a time?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

A-Wings are just too expensive without that -2 from the refit in the rocket slot. Proton Rockets are effectively +5 points on A-Wings, which is a pretty lousy deal on all but aces that are already expensive.

Yeah I guess the only way to play them is to put on autothrusters and juke and just chip away.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Presented without additional comment:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Some Numbers posted:

Presented without additional comment:

Cloaked Phantom, R3 obstructed?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Cloaked Phantom, R3 obstructed?

Correct!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Excellent. Death to all all cloaking tie scum

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
My worst was having an interceptor, Range 3, obstructed, stealth device and autothrusters, meaning I threw those six greens plus could turn one blank to an evade.... and rolling six eyeballs. With no focus, of course.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cobaltshift posted:

What is the bonus to having 2 hyperwave comm scanners? I thought comm relay was only 1 evade token at a time?

Realistically you could drop 1, but a 2-point bid at PS6 (max) just seems out of place. I haven't revised this with some of the newer wave stuff that's come out, so there may be more shenanigans lurking out there yet. The Hyperwave Comm Scanners have done more for me playing First Order, with something like this:

Exp2 (100)

•Lieutenant Dormitz (39) - Upsilon-class Shuttle
Sensor Jammer (4), •Kylo Ren (3), Hyperwave Comm Scanner (1)

•"Quickdraw" (31) - TIE/SF Fighter
Collision Detector (0), Hyperwave Comm Scanner (1), Special Ops Training (0), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

•"Backdraft" (30) - TIE/SF Fighter
Veteran Instincts (1), Collision Detector (0), Hyperwave Comm Scanner (1), Special Ops Training (0), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Deploy everyone at PS12? Check
Double stack focus on one of the TIE/SF? Check
Guarantee a first-round engagement with Backdraft and Quickdraw via extended deployment area (courtesy lieutenant Dormitz)? Check
Show people The Dark Side with Backdraft's auto-crit from his back arc? Check

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Frankly I'd drop the Sensor Jammer for Fire Control System on Backdraft. Put Collision Detector on Dormitz instead.

Then add Rage/Electronic Baffle on Quickdraw. I normally don't like that version of QD, but on this list, it'd be hilarious.

I'd also consider dropping both TIE Mk II modifications in favor of lightweight frame on one of the TIEs, or pattern analyzer on Dormitz (yes, it's really loving awesome to STOP and still get your Kylo off.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I also flew this without realizing it was 101 points. :(

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...ain%20Aces&obs=

Not that anyone really cared at a casual night. But still, I was plugging it into Aurora after the match and went "gently caress guys, that was 101 points"

Which is really sad, because it was even more fun than the OL/QD list above.

I forgot how much I like playing arc dodgers.

Ditch the prockets for intensity on Vader.

Played with Nym for the first time last night. He sure gets work done. Played him with Fenn and an ion cannon scyk. List has decent legs, slow play with ion carrier, he's pretty good at range 3 pinging scurgs and kwings. Ready for guns for hire to land.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I assume B-Wings aren't exactly a meta-choice, but has anyone experience with E2 B-Wings that use crew for extra survivability? How do C-3PO, Jan Ors or Chewbacca work out for them?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hannibal Rex posted:

I assume B-Wings aren't exactly a meta-choice, but has anyone experience with E2 B-Wings that use crew for extra survivability? How do C-3PO, Jan Ors or Chewbacca work out for them?

Rarely worth it.

3PO would be viable if the BWing had a better dial or a large base, and could one of those to ensure bumps to reduce the number of incoming shots. But it doesn't.

Jan is most effective if you can stack her evade and other tokens all on a single ship, so you kinda have to build around her. Not worth it to try to keep a B-Wing alive, but I've seen it work on Biggs and some aces.

Chewwy is just too expensive.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hoiyes posted:

Ditch the prockets for intensity on Vader.

Played with Nym for the first time last night. He sure gets work done. Played him with Fenn and an ion cannon scyk. List has decent legs, slow play with ion carrier, he's pretty good at range 3 pinging scurgs and kwings. Ready for guns for hire to land.

But I really love prockets Inquisitor! It's the one thing that keeps people from dive-bombing him into oblivion.

(You're probably right)

Nym + Fenn + Something is pretty good. I've been testing Cruise Missile N'Dru, but an ion cannon Syck is probably a better idea to help control Fenn's big weakness: other bomb carriers.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Frankly I'd drop the Sensor Jammer for Fire Control System on Backdraft. Put Collision Detector on Dormitz instead.

Then add Rage/Electronic Baffle on Quickdraw. I normally don't like that version of QD, but on this list, it'd be hilarious.

I'd also consider dropping both TIE Mk II modifications in favor of lightweight frame on one of the TIEs, or pattern analyzer on Dormitz (yes, it's really loving awesome to STOP and still get your Kylo off.

I like where this is going. We'll see how it works next week!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I like where this is going. We'll see how it works next week!

Let me know how it goes.

The epic version of this list (Dormitz + as many Deadeye/Assault Missile/Chips TIE/sf generics as you can fit, all with Hyperwave) is straight up broken.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The only crew id use on a bwing in this meta is Hera on a fcs bwing.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I like using Ezra on Keyan Farlander. :shobon:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Some Numbers posted:

Wow, I'm realizing that Intensity might just be better than PtL on Jake. That's actually fantastic.

The real issue with it is it either costs you PS9 or the ability to get focus/tl in a single turn, both of which are HUGE costs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

The real issue with it is it either costs you PS9 or the ability to get focus/tl in a single turn, both of which are HUGE costs.

Yeah, but you can Boost and Barrel Roll and get 2 Focus!

Or Boost or Barrel Roll and get a Focus and an Evade!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

thespaceinvader posted:

But you can take 4 actions (BR/Boost/Focus/Evade) in one turn and not end up stressed, which is neat.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

But you can take 4 actions (BR/Boost/Focus/Evade) in one turn and not end up stressed, which is neat.

Only at PS7 tho

Which sucks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

thespaceinvader posted:

Only at PS7 tho

Which sucks.

What? No, you can get four actions with VI and Intensity. Focus->Boost->Intensity Focus->Barrel Roll.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

thespaceinvader posted:

Only at PS7 tho

Which sucks.

It's expensive, but you're just forgetting that the A-Wing Test Pilot title gives you another EPT slot.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You can only get four actions one of which is evade (or TL), if you use Intensity PTL.

You can get four actions which are focus focus boost barrel roll with VI Intensity, but you can't get TL or Evade into the bargain.

Intensity, VI, and PTL are Jake's 3 best EPTs, but Intensity is probably the least useful of the three at the moment.

If at some point the PS war stops enough for 7 to be a useful number, Intensity PTL will be great.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

thespaceinvader posted:

You can only get four actions one of which is evade (or TL), if you use Intensity PTL.

You can get four actions which are focus focus boost barrel roll with VI Intensity, but you can't get TL or Evade into the bargain.

Intensity, VI, and PTL are Jake's 3 best EPTs, but Intensity is probably the least useful of the three at the moment.

If at some point the PS war stops enough for 7 to be a useful number, Intensity PTL will be great.
I'm pretty sure with PtL/Intensity you can get more than 4 actions:

- Do a focus
- Perform a barrel roll/boost
- Get a focus from Intensity
- Perform a barrel roll/boost (whichever you didn't do before)
- PtL off the barrel roll/boost, and perform Evade/TL.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

quote:

Horton Salm (25)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R2-D6 (1)
Expertise (4)
Vectored Thrusters (2)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)

Captain Rex (14)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

How likely is this to work? I really enjoyed this Horton build paired with Rey for how easily he can chew through tokens, but I'm not sure if I can keep him alive long enough to make his points back. I figured Biggs and Rex might give him some time to work with.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

I'm pretty sure with PtL/Intensity you can get more than 4 actions:

- Do a focus
- Perform a barrel roll/boost
- Get a focus from Intensity
- Perform a barrel roll/boost (whichever you didn't do before)
- PtL off the barrel roll/boost, and perform Evade/TL.
Yup.

But only at PS7.

Like I said, Jake now has 3 EPTs he adores, and whichever 2 he picks, there's always something he could do better with the third.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I just played a semifinal game in a store's tourney and after a winning streak with Dengar/Nym, it seems like my luck ran out completely. I mean, I dropped a bomblet four times on at least two ships and didn't do any damage at all. And of course, my opponent did five damage with Fenn in turn three.

How do you rebound after being hosed by dice for the first time?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

thespaceinvader posted:

Yup.

But only at PS7.

Like I said, Jake now has 3 EPTs he adores, and whichever 2 he picks, there's always something he could do better with the third.

That means they've designed something well. :ssh:

Side-grade options for list diversity are always welcome.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

That means they've designed something well. :ssh:

Side-grade options for list diversity are always welcome.

Well, now it just need to be playable to be regarded as well designed.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Talas posted:

I just played a semifinal game in a store's tourney and after a winning streak with Dengar/Nym, it seems like my luck ran out completely. I mean, I dropped a bomblet four times on at least two ships and didn't do any damage at all. And of course, my opponent did five damage with Fenn in turn three.

How do you rebound after being hosed by dice for the first time?

It's a dice game it happens. However good play and prep will go a long way to help counteract bad dice.

I finally had time to get a few games this weekend after about a month away. In one game my dice were horrid, but I kept moving my ships in a way that my opponent could not focus on the same target for more than one turn. I was flying Nym, Ndru and a scout against 2 mangler sycks a cruise missile z95 and Fenn. I lost my scout and Ndru just as I got Fenn to one hull. It was pretty much the only damage I had been able to do that game. Eventually the dice will turn and good flying will hopefully give you the time needed for that.

In the end I was able to put on a Nym masterclass and won with one hull left. If I had given up early I would have surely lost. Always play like you have a chance at winning.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Raged posted:

In the end I was able to put on a Nym masterclass and won with one hull left. If I had given up early I would have surely lost. Always play like you have a chance at winning.
Nice! I did last more rounds than I first thought after losing Dengar, but well, I was not making any damage...

Anyway, that's the fickle finger of fate. Thanks, man!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

gently caress this thing has been a bear to get done but it's done so screw it. IN time for UKTC next weekend, anyone going?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

thespaceinvader posted:

gently caress this thing has been a bear to get done but it's done so screw it. IN time for UKTC next weekend, anyone going?
Yep. Gonna try to improve from last year :v:

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Looks like Y-Wing reprints are starting to show up in stores. My FLGS had 5 earlier today.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

LanceKing2200 posted:

Looks like Y-Wing reprints are starting to show up in stores. My FLGS had 5 earlier today.

FFFFFFFFFinally! Been hankering for some Y's for a while now.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm growing tired of tank Rey + Ghost, and wanted to give something Imperial a shot. Some months back I was experimenting with Vader + Whisper + Bomber shuttle with Kylo.

Whisper is completely non-viable right now, but turns out that ion is a really good answer to bomb bullshit. So I dropped Whisper and added TIE/D Vessery.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...%2FWhisper&obs=

There are six points left there for your choice of EPTs. If you go with the cheap options, you can put a cruise missile or proton rockets on Vader.

I like VI, Lone Wolf, or Intensity on Vader. VI gets him above nearly everyone. Lone Wolf makes him much harder to kill (it's great against TLTs). Intensity is good to increase your action economy: you still get focus or evade even if you have to reposition.

I like VI, A Score to Settle, or Expertise on Vessery. VI gets him even with Miranda and ahead of Dash. A Score to Settle helps proc Kylo against a key target, and Expertise gives him perfect offensive mods, plus he can still keep the focus for defense.

Against Miranda or Nym, I aim to give them the PS0 crit ASAP. This prevents most of their arc-dodging and bomblet shenanigans, especially Nym. Just watch out for Action: bombs with Miranda. Against most other meta ships, I aim to give them Blinded Pilots.

Ion cannon on Vessery is a nightmare for Miranda and Nym: if you tag them once, they're going slow, until they die.

I haven't decided which combination I like best, but early testing with double VI + Cruise Missiles is promising.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
What kind of bid do you try for with ps11 Vader? I guess it's mostly just Han, Quickdraw and other Vader's at 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

canyonero posted:

What kind of bid do you try for with ps11 Vader? I guess it's mostly just Han, Quickdraw and other Vader's at 11

Occasional Dengars too.

Running VI Dengar VI Nym I've mostly found it's more useful to fill all the points. I won't be for UKTC for the sake of the team bid though.

• Locked thread