Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Do any of you use software to help create documents? I'm an estate planning attorney, so we use a lot of form documents where everything stays the same except for the names. Right now, I draft a memo and my assistant types the names into a form word document and saves it to the client's file. This is wildly inefficient. For example, I have to double check that she hasn't misspelled JOHN DOE as JON DOE, each time it appears in the document. I would love to have a form where I could type in JOHN DOE once and it would populate the entire suite of documents we are doing for a client, and if the client shows up and wants to change their name to JOHN H. DOE, it is a simple process. I feel like mail merge could probably do this, if I spent some time to figure it out, but I was wondering if there is any software (particularly software that older non-technologically prone attorneys can figure out) that would make this an easy task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Staryberry posted:

Do any of you use software to help create documents? I'm an estate planning attorney, so we use a lot of form documents where everything stays the same except for the names. Right now, I draft a memo and my assistant types the names into a form word document and saves it to the client's file. This is wildly inefficient. For example, I have to double check that she hasn't misspelled JOHN DOE as JON DOE, each time it appears in the document. I would love to have a form where I could type in JOHN DOE once and it would populate the entire suite of documents we are doing for a client, and if the client shows up and wants to change their name to JOHN H. DOE, it is a simple process. I feel like mail merge could probably do this, if I spent some time to figure it out, but I was wondering if there is any software (particularly software that older non-technologically prone attorneys can figure out) that would make this an easy task.

Yes this software is known as "associates"

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Get a better assistant

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

joat mon posted:

Like HDD91 said.

F/K/A Baruch Obamawitz?

that's me

Kalman posted:

TEAPP expires in December so that's going to be hilarious.

POPA is saying that all TEAPP does is have the workers waive a demand that the agency pay for mandatory travel, and that actual mandatory travel requirements are so rare that even if the agency had to pay for mandatory travel it wouldn't be a real budgetary effect.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
[quote="“Staryberry”" post="“477130604”"]
Do any of you use software to help create documents? I’m an estate planning attorney, so we use a lot of form documents where everything stays the same except for the names. Right now, I draft a memo and my assistant types the names into a form word document and saves it to the client’s file. This is wildly inefficient. For example, I have to double check that she hasn’t misspelled JOHN DOE as JON DOE, each time it appears in the document. I would love to have a form where I could type in JOHN DOE once and it would populate the entire suite of documents we are doing for a client, and if the client shows up and wants to change their name to JOHN H. DOE, it is a simple process. I feel like mail merge could probably do this, if I spent some time to figure it out, but I was wondering if there is any software (particularly software that older non-technologically prone attorneys can figure out) that would make this an easy task.
[/quote]

There's a way you can do this in word. The template i use to comply with all the batshit 9th circuit pleading requirements has a few of these forms, but I've never bothered to figure out how to do it

Something with fields and properties

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 7, 2017

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Have you heard of mail merge?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phil Moscowitz posted:

EDUCATION

Hamburger University | Juris Doctor, May 1982

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

POPA is saying that all TEAPP does is have the workers waive a demand that the agency pay for mandatory travel, and that actual mandatory travel requirements are so rare that even if the agency had to pay for mandatory travel it wouldn't be a real budgetary effect.

POPA is half right on that. TEAPP allows the agency to waive payment - but the PTO is already tight on budget and fee setting authority expires next year too. And the mandatory travel in this case is the biweek reporting requirement - TEAPP is how they've waived that. So it'd have some budgetary impact, paying for 20+ flights per examiner per year.

(PTO might decide to just ignore the reporting requirement, or process official worksite changes for all the 50+ mile hotellers though. I guess.)

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Staryberry posted:

We do. It's hilariously bad because the assistants absolutely refuse to agree on a consistent input scheme, the lawyers refuse to agree on the format of common documents, and our old system with years of DOS data was randomly combined into it so it's very very cluttered. It's so much more of a gigantic waste of time than writing a note to my assistant.

My assistant knows how I like things, I know how she likes things, that's as far as I need to go because it's a huge pain in the dick to find a perfect universal scheme. At least it was for us, but i suspect that was the fault of the product we bought and the nature of our office. It'd probably work great in a small office or one run by a benevolent dictator.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 7, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
we use automatic document generation for things that don't really matter like instructions to outside counsel. if a name is wrong or something they're not gonna be offended since we're paying them.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Law school starts today :kiddo:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm sorry

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Your username is going to be so fitting so soon.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Bad username/post combo.

E: well that's what I get for not refreshing the page

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Whitlam posted:

Your username is going to be so fitting so soon.

It's already fitting from a career in software, can't wait to see what I end up as once broken down twice.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
My favorite thing to see with failed engineers is to see them fail at a career in patent law, and then go design the lovely legal software that is used by everyone.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Meatbag Esq. posted:

failed engineers

Hey! I'll have you know I'm quite successful, I just hate everything and everyone.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

lovely legal software that is used by everyone.

Sounds profitable.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah legal software sounds like a great career, because holy hell is that poo poo pricey

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
The best thing is that even if you make something good, it'll be lovely anyway, because everything legal is by definition lovely

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I suspect it's like financial software in that respect.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK so I posted a thing in here for the UK people but having read through some more of this thread, well, you sure do lean into the "no, do not go to law school" thing.

So I'm going to post my situation for the rest of you and see if it makes it through the ringer.

I'm a quite senior website toucher, paid well via my single-person company. But my username is not a coincidence.

My reasons for taking the law school route are:
1. I dislike being ignorant about various aspects of the law and its process in general
2. I dislike seeing imposing organisations use people's ignorance of the law and its process (including mine, see #1) to intimidate
3. The brief forays I've had into dealing with legal situations (contract negotiations, corporate and personal tax law, mandatory licensing disputes) I've found fun and compelling because I'm a logic-and-rules oriented person. I enjoy looking at a set of rules and figuring out how to work them to my advantage.
4. Deep down I like having a wide range of qualifications and skills. This is a bad reason to do anything big but I can't deny it as a contributing factor.

I've signed on to the Open University's remote LLB, skipping the first year since I have a non-law BSc from my previous life. It's a common approach for "mature students" and is reasonably well respected in the UK but I've not heard from a law horse's mouth about whether that carries weight there.

I've paid for my first module, which represents the first of four years. Would be 2 years, but I'm doing it part time so I can keep working.

Since I'll be working throughout the cost is negligible. The time is significant but if I'm really not digging it I can drop out without any real pain. I'm only going to start the next stage if I'm still fully on board at each point, I've not laid my livelihood on this yet and the career will always be there for me to go back to.

I know legal pay in every country is massively variable, but I've bought most everything I've ever really wanted now and I'd be content with a living wage for a while.

Is an attitude of "I guess we'll see how it goes and pull the ripcord if it sucks" going to save me?

Just dredging this up so my fellow lawgoons can enjoy some context re: the fresh meat.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah baby that's me. The US goons were of the opinion "that's dumb don't do that" while some UK ones felt that UK law school is different enough to (and cheaper enough than) the US version to make it worthwhile.

I decided to go ahead with the first quarter of it that I'd paid for (not nearly as much money as you might be imagining) and see how it goes.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah baby that's me. The US goons were of the opinion "that's dumb don't do that" while some UK ones felt that UK law school is different enough to (and cheaper enough than) the US version to make it worthwhile.

I decided to go ahead with the first quarter of it that I'd paid for (not nearly as much money as you might be imagining) and see how it goes.

UK? Doesn't it take, like, 4 years after law school to be eligible for becoming qualified?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They might have invented common law, but they sure as poo poo haven't invented common sense.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alexeythegreat posted:

UK? Doesn't it take, like, 4 years after law school to be eligible for becoming qualified?

It varies and is changing right now, but yeah. Maybe I do that, maybe I don't.

FrozenVent posted:

They might have invented common law, but they sure as poo poo haven't invented common sense.

:rimshot:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

It varies and is changing right now, but yeah. Maybe I do that, maybe I don't.

:rimshot:

I considered doing that for a bit (applicable law to any kind of money in my country is the law of England and Wales), because being a common-law qualified lawyer makes me win against any competition by default and ensures that the money I earn is slightly above my current equivalent of 25k/year, but then I saw how many years that takes and gently caress that

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

If you hate the first term, walk away.

Sunk cost fallacies are dangerous.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alexeythegreat; yeah I have no idea whether I'll take this beyond the initial schooling, or even beyond the initial semester; I'm taking it one step at a time.

It helps that a semester's tuition costs about a week or two's work for me right now.

TheMadMilkman; indeed

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just letting it be known that law school is a universally bad decision, except in the case of joat mon, whose original username is transcribed in Etruscan.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Wait, you're not just doing law school, but you're doing online law school through a correspondence program? loving lol.

Fake Edit: And it's because "I don't like seeing the little guy get taken advantage of"? That's like, 90% of what lawyers who actually get paid do. Figure out how to most efficiently screw the little guy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm not really interested in having this conversation over and over, it's kinda boring. If you want you can read my previous posts and pretend I'm answering you.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Fair enough, sorry man. Good luck with the start of the program!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 13, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Has anyone made the post/username joke yet?

Yep.

But please raise the point again in 2-5 years when he bails.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Associate brain disease: get asked to do some work on the weekend, feel some sense of accomplishment at logging hours. :shepicide:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I roasted a chicken and took my kid to a pumpkin patch/fair.

What are you doing with your life vox?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Associate brain disease: get asked to do some work on the weekend, feel some sense of accomplishment at logging hours. :shepicide:

Self-rationalization: hey, it'll take the edge off of Monday.

Reality: You get rewarded on Monday with more work

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I almost cut my finger off doing yard work

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I worked a tailgate and flirted with coeds all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I roasted a chicken and took my kid to a pumpkin patch/fair.

What are you doing with your life vox?

We rewatched the old Blade Runner, next we're going to get some Afghan food and watch the new one at the theater.