Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Chard posted:

Apartment hunting in/around Sacramento right now. poo poo is getting pretty brutal with expanding Bay Area influence :( For real if anyone has a lead on studio/1br within 20-30 miles hit me up.

I hate my life.
Suburb or city? And yeah, bay area is loving Sacramento up pretty badly, and it's only getting worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is it common to ask for re-homing within the same building? My roommate's making noises about moving out, and while I don't want a 2-br to myself I don't want to leave this location. Would it put up any red flags with the landlord if I explained the situation and asked him to notify me of any studio or 1-br vacancies in the complex?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Suburb or city? And yeah, bay area is loving Sacramento up pretty badly, and it's only getting worse.

At this point, whatever. I haven't had to move in the last two years and it's amazing how much things have changed. But, I have a showing on Tuesday for a sweet upstairs 1 br in an old farmhouse-looking thing, hopefully that comes together.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Depends on how far out you want to go, and in which direction.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Is it common to ask for re-homing within the same building? My roommate's making noises about moving out, and while I don't want a 2-br to myself I don't want to leave this location. Would it put up any red flags with the landlord if I explained the situation and asked him to notify me of any studio or 1-br vacancies in the complex?

Not uncommon at all. Are you month-to-month?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Unload My Head posted:

Not uncommon at all. Are you month-to-month?

Yeah, been that way for about a year now.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Nope, totally normal. If you are a regular, on-time payer with no lease violations and no complaints and I know that for a fact because you're already my tenant, you are far and away #1 on the list above anyone else. People with twice your credit rating and twice your income would go on the list below you.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Depends on how far out you want to go, and in which direction.

sent you a PM

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
So think I finally got my new place figured out, but it comes with no furniture. I can probably muddle my way through most of it but the big ticket item I worry about is the mattress and a little on the bed frame.

Any good recommendations for either? I can always do an IKEA everything but want to see my other options.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

21 days later... No deposit returned. I sent my landlord a text asking if he sent it or not but haven't gotten a response.

Next step I'm required to do is send him a certified letter requesting again that my deposit be returned.

Since I still don't have his real address (I mailed the keys to a non-existent apartment in the building as he requested) and obtain his legal identity if I have to take him to small claims court (apparently a requirement on the claim form) I will have to walk into the country assessors office to search the database for the owner of the building. They don't have an online database by law around here.

What will really suck is if this goes to small claims court I have to fly back for it and get time off from work.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

What are the penalties for it? Around here if a landlord doesn't handle the return properly you are entitled to 3x the deposit, so you can often find a lawyer to help you for a cut of that extra money. Don't know if that applies but it's worth considering.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Chillyrabbit posted:

So think I finally got my new place figured out, but it comes with no furniture. I can probably muddle my way through most of it but the big ticket item I worry about is the mattress and a little on the bed frame.

Any good recommendations for either? I can always do an IKEA everything but want to see my other options.

Don't give your money to Big Mattress, just get a mat of some kind and sleep on the floor. Spinal health and better sleep awaits you.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ashcans posted:

What are the penalties for it? Around here if a landlord doesn't handle the return properly you are entitled to 3x the deposit, so you can often find a lawyer to help you for a cut of that extra money. Don't know if that applies but it's worth considering.

In my area it's double the deposit if they find the landlord acted in bad faith. You don't have to file for it to be awarded that amount by the judge. Also after the 21 days he loses any right to make deductions to the deposit, because he would be required to provide me with notification why it would be late and only if it's for work that couldn't be completed in that time. Aside from the floor thing I have texts from him about when he did work on the apartments without getting permits (the reason the city had to come in inspect the inside of my walls) and how he had an illegal apartment in the basement if they want to know what kind of character he has as a landlord so I think it wouldn't be too far a leap for the judge to say he was loving with me.

I actually got a reply from him late tonight. He said he mailed my deposit last week (I'm supposed to believe the post office is that slow?) But he was thoughtful enough to take a picture of the envelope before mailing it which he sent me. Upside is I now have his actual address now. He said he figured I should give it at least another 2 days to show up. I'm going to be interested to see what the post date is on it, but I'd just be happy for this to be over so I can be done.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
What's the usual procedure for someone parking in your reserved spot? I feel like a petty as whole but I'm being charged for a parking pass, and the dude's been parked there since Thursday afternoon.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
If you know whose car it is, try to knock on their door and contact them, otherwise call the tow company that痴 associated with your complex.

Disclaimer: I live in an area where parking is pretty difficult and private parking is expensive. It would really piss me off if someone was in my spot when I wanted to use it.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Chillyrabbit posted:

Here's an entire thread just for you!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333

Blackchamber posted:

I actually got a reply from him late tonight. He said he mailed my deposit last week (I'm supposed to believe the post office is that slow?) But he was thoughtful enough to take a picture of the envelope before mailing it which he sent me. Upside is I now have his actual address now. He said he figured I should give it at least another 2 days to show up. I'm going to be interested to see what the post date is on it, but I'd just be happy for this to be over so I can be done.

Did he send it signature required?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Unload My Head posted:

Did he send it signature required?

No he sent it next day apparently. Got the cheque, in full and I rushed to the bank to deposit it. The hassle is over.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Thanks!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm getting mixed messages on Google about this: Is it generally expected to tip mattress / furniture delivery guys? What about the internet technician from the telcom company who sets up your internet?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

If you feel they did a good job and you want to tip the furniture delivery guys, then go ahead, but you're not obligated to. It could vary by region, but as far as I'm aware it's not generally expected to tip them because they make higher than minimum wage and aren't paying for the maintenance/gas for the truck. However, it is just a nice thing to do, especially if they haul heavy things up a couple flights of stairs and are respectful of your items/space. If this is a store that you order or expect to order from frequently then tipping is a good idea, if only so they remember you as the tipping guy and will bend over backwards to give you great service.

There's no expectation to tip an internet tech either, and I've never heard of one being tipped.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

I'm getting mixed messages on Google about this: Is it generally expected to tip mattress / furniture delivery guys?
It's generally expected to have a couple of ice cold water bottles for these guys. Tip if they go out of their way. 3 flights of stairs or something. Sometimes they will remove a door to get a couch inside. That's tip stuff.

Magnetic North posted:

What about the internet technician from the telcom company who sets up your internet?
They switched to IP based equipment 15 years ago and it's impossible to get the hookup from these guys anymore, it used to be a well-placed $20 would get you a bunch of pay channels and faster internet, but now they just do their jobs. The guys from the cable company make good money with great bennies. The independent contractors are hacks. Request an O&O installer. If a contractor shows up, turn them away.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Magnetic North posted:

What about the internet technician from the telcom company who sets up your internet?
The real question here is which one do you tip? Do you have to tip the guy who shows up half an hour after the five-hour block of time they gave you, knocks once while you're in the shower, then leaves? What about the one who shows up without the equipment he needs, or says he can't do it because somehow what was described to him isn't what's actually happening? Or do you only have to tip the guy who gets it done after the third or fourth appointment?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Or didn't bring a ladder and braces his hands and feet against a couple of walls to climb up into your attic.

Didn't happen to me but someone I know.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Suggestions for a a good, small vacuum used just for area rugs? We're getting rid of all the carpet in our house, and so I don't want some big expensive machine. Right now, I have a car vacuum that I use but it doesn't work all that well.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Here's a fun question. I recently bugged out of my old apartment after I couldn't deal with my ex using our agreement to suffer through the rest of the lease as leverage to continue abusing me. My landlord gave me the out of moving into another of her units, and I took it. The short version is, she finally moved out of there herself like a month later, but she left the place like a disaster area. I did what I could last night, spent about 4 hours hauling out junk and attempting to clean with what supplies I had, but the kitchen and bathroom are gonna need help for sure.

Now, the wording in the chart from my landlord about cleaning fees out of the deposit is:
Each Bathroom: $25
Kitchen/Stove/Oven/Refrigerator: $65
Paint (per room): $50

I fully expect to get hit for the bathroom and kitchen, but my issue is that those numbers seem really low? I inquired to a maid service and those two rooms got estimated at like $200 to me. Like, the bathroom especially is hecked. I can tell that my ex just like gave up on doing housework at all after I got out. Like I'm pretty sure the dishes that were in the sink when I went over to pick up last night were the ones that were there when I moved out at the end of September. There's hair dye stains on the bathroom counters and tiles. I had to like gag my way through half-assedly cleaning the toilet with gloves and clorox wipes because she had already thrown out the brush. She didn't even make a token attempt to clean up messes that were clearly accumulating for weeks.

Should I expect to lose a much bigger chunk/all of my deposit from this? I want to work with them to not jeopardize my current housing, because they put me on month-to-month until this situation finished shaking out.

I can't even reasonably afford to move until like January, after this recent general disruption.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It sounds like you have a reasonable landlord from the fact that they gave you an out on the lease to switch away from living with your Ex. And that means that they presumably know something about the situation. I think in your shoes I would contact them and explain what's going on: she finally moved out, you have tried to clean up after her but there was a lot of mess and you're concerned it needs more work thank you can really do. You can make it clear that you don't want to turn over the old unit as a wreck and that you are ok with paying for professional cleaning at a reasonable rate, and ask to confirm if the fees from the chart are correct. You could also offer to hire cleaners yourself, on the understanding that those things won't be held against you for the deposit (I would prefer to pay the landlord for their choice of cleaning service, because then they're not going to possibly complain about the job done).

My experience is that a lot of landlords are happy when a tenant comes to them with a problem offering a reasonable compromise and they should be willing to settle it amicably. Because you're still going to be renting from them, you may want to pay out more than the strictest interpretation on that chart in order to keep goodwill, especially if you think you'll stick around longer than your minimum. Make sure you have whatever you agree with them in writing though, even if that's just email or texts so that its clear what is going to be your responsibility.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ashcans posted:

It sounds like you have a reasonable landlord from the fact that they gave you an out on the lease to switch away from living with your Ex. And that means that they presumably know something about the situation. I think in your shoes I would contact them and explain what's going on: she finally moved out, you have tried to clean up after her but there was a lot of mess and you're concerned it needs more work thank you can really do. You can make it clear that you don't want to turn over the old unit as a wreck and that you are ok with paying for professional cleaning at a reasonable rate, and ask to confirm if the fees from the chart are correct. You could also offer to hire cleaners yourself, on the understanding that those things won't be held against you for the deposit (I would prefer to pay the landlord for their choice of cleaning service, because then they're not going to possibly complain about the job done).

My experience is that a lot of landlords are happy when a tenant comes to them with a problem offering a reasonable compromise and they should be willing to settle it amicably. Because you're still going to be renting from them, you may want to pay out more than the strictest interpretation on that chart in order to keep goodwill, especially if you think you'll stick around longer than your minimum. Make sure you have whatever you agree with them in writing though, even if that's just email or texts so that its clear what is going to be your responsibility.

Yeah, I'll be meeting with them tonight to hand in all the keys for the old place, and I plan to explain that the place will need cleaning. My main goal is to find out what the costs are as soon as possible, because if I need to beg my family for money, it's gotta be before I go to visit for Thanksgiving. My budget is tight this month because I'm gonna have to be ready to put down the deposit on my new place at some point when they put me back on a proper lease. This whole process got stretched out like 3 weeks longer than it was originally supposed to, so I think it's mostly just the suspense of not knowing the number that's affecting me.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Fucken hell that's cheap.

Depends entirely on the LL. No way to tell until you do the walkthrough. Sounds like they want to play ball though. Is this a mom & pop operation?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Unload My Head posted:

Fucken hell that's cheap.

Depends entirely on the LL. No way to tell until you do the walkthrough. Sounds like they want to play ball though. Is this a mom & pop operation?

Yeah, it's a family that owns like a half dozen different properties around the city. Their standards seem fairly lax- like they don't care about holes in the wall from hanging pictures and stuff, but I worry about things adding up where the bathroom seems to me like it needs a much deeper clean than $25 affords.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's possible that they're not used to real ruined rooms, but it's also possible that if they have multiple properties they have some sort of contract for general cleaning with a service and they only charge the additional fee for big messes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ashcans posted:

It's possible that they're not used to real ruined rooms, but it's also possible that if they have multiple properties they have some sort of contract for general cleaning with a service and they only charge the additional fee for big messes.

Yeah, it's probably fine. I explained that the bathroom and kitchen were too much for me to deal with in one night, and my landlord was just like "okay". She didn't seem mad or anything. There's no physical damage, it's just like, embarrassingly unhygienic in there. I paid the back rent that my ex didn't, so I'm square on that front.

I guess I'll find out later what the damage is after a walkthrough.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I知 looking at a place this evening that seems just this side of too good to be true. What are some things I should make sure to check on? I know a few things from mistakes I made in the past (making sure we have our own thermostat and lights rather than switchable outlets, double pane windows rather than single), but I知 worried about missing other important stuff.

What do you look for? It痴 a side by side duplex. I値l probably ask for a copy of the lease so so I can see if there are any terms I知 not okay with before applying.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I知 looking at a place this evening that seems just this side of too good to be true. What are some things I should make sure to check on? I know a few things from mistakes I made in the past (making sure we have our own thermostat and lights rather than switchable outlets, double pane windows rather than single), but I知 worried about missing other important stuff.

What do you look for? It痴 a side by side duplex. I値l probably ask for a copy of the lease so so I can see if there are any terms I知 not okay with before applying.

- Try the hot water faucets to make sure you have decent water pressure and hot water in a reasonable amount of time
- Look in/under low cabinets to see if there is evidence of pests (mouse droppings, roaches)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Who lives on the other side of the duplex?

Check the PD website for crime statistics in that neighborhood.

What's your gut feel when you get there? Did you see the landlord open the door or was it unlocked when you get there? Can you pull the title from the county and see if the person on the title matches the person that you are dealing with?

Central heat? Central air? Dishwasher? W/D? What appliances are included? Is it move-in ready (i.e. carpets clean and walls painted)? Don't trust any work that will be done after you sign on the dotted line. Anything you can't live with needs to be fixed before you hand over a check.

I am a landlord and there is no foolproof way to sniff out a good tenant; the direct approach doesn't work. I take the indirect approach. "So, you work near here?" "Oh, that's interesting... how long you been doing that?". If they can keep the story going, it's legit. If they are giving one word answers, it's bogus.

I suggest the same approach with the landlord. "I love this property. Do you have other properties on this side of town?" "Oh, that's interesting. How long have you been in the landlord biz?" "In a maintenance scenario, would it be you doing the work, or do you have a maintenance man?". Just general stuff. The answers don't really matter, but they should *have* answers. And their answers should draw you into a conversation about what it would be like to be their tenant. Do you like the picture they are painting?

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
I know it's been a bit since anyone posted in here, but I have a question about my lease renewal.

In November, I received a letter from the management company saying that if I wanted to renew for 2018, my rent would increase from $985 a month to $1033. I said sure, give me the new contract and I'll sign it. They gave me a new contract, but mistakenly wrote that my rent would remain $985. I signed it and sent it in. Now they are telling me they made a "typo" and are asking me sign a revised lease with the price of $1033.

Here is my question: Do I have to sign this new lease? Can I tell my landlord no, I want to stay with the first agreement I signed? I plan to remain in this apartment regardless of the outcome, I just wanted to know if I can save some cash. I live in Arizona if that would affect the answer at all.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Did you keep a copy? Did they sign the copy you kept?

If you have a countersigned copy, it's a good lease. Your breaking the spirit of the agreement is kind of a dirty move, but you are technically following the agreement and it's not illegal. Depending on how pissed they are and how much that dies down over the period of your lease, I'd expect either a huge rent increase at the end of this lease, or to just be not renewed.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

tentawesome posted:

Do I have to sign this new lease?

Probably not. Depends on your answer to Mikey's questions.

tentawesome posted:

I plan to remain in this apartment regardless of the outcome,

lmao.

Basically you need to decide if saving $600 is worth moving in January 2019.

I would not do it, but it's your life.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

photomikey posted:

Who lives on the other side of the duplex?

Check the PD website for crime statistics in that neighborhood.

What's your gut feel when you get there? Did you see the landlord open the door or was it unlocked when you get there? Can you pull the title from the county and see if the person on the title matches the person that you are dealing with?

Central heat? Central air? Dishwasher? W/D? What appliances are included? Is it move-in ready (i.e. carpets clean and walls painted)? Don't trust any work that will be done after you sign on the dotted line. Anything you can't live with needs to be fixed before you hand over a check.

I am a landlord and there is no foolproof way to sniff out a good tenant; the direct approach doesn't work. I take the indirect approach. "So, you work near here?" "Oh, that's interesting... how long you been doing that?". If they can keep the story going, it's legit. If they are giving one word answers, it's bogus.

I suggest the same approach with the landlord. "I love this property. Do you have other properties on this side of town?" "Oh, that's interesting. How long have you been in the landlord biz?" "In a maintenance scenario, would it be you doing the work, or do you have a maintenance man?". Just general stuff. The answers don't really matter, but they should *have* answers. And their answers should draw you into a conversation about what it would be like to be their tenant. Do you like the picture they are painting?

The "too good to be true" part ended up being that when they said "1000 feet" they meant that the two units together were 1000 square feet. The "bedroom" opened to the back yard and I'm not sure you would even be able to squeeze a full sized bed in between the walls. cown the block there was a trailer park that looked like everyone living there was involved in some part of the methamphetamine industry.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
Thanks for the answers, ya'll. I'll just bite the bullet and take the rate increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

CA tenant here.

My shower has no hot water. The rest of the apartment has heat and heated water as it should, only the shower is affected. I reported the issue on 12/13 and a maintenance worker came but did not resolve the problem. I informed management that there was still an issue and they dragged their feet for a week, then the holiday weekend came and went and long story short I've been bathing out of a bucket for about two weeks now still with no maintenance scheduled to my knowledge.

Do I have any recourse?

I live month-to-month and don't want to rock the boat too much, but this is absurd and I need this fixed but I don't know how to best light a fire under their rear end. I've had about 5+ points of contact with the property manager already.