Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Did... did they lose their microphones when they went to color? I'm only like ten minutes into Spearhead from Space, but it feels like the whole thing was filmed in a gymnasium with a huge echo.

I mean

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Spearhead was shot entirely on film and almost entirely on location because of a strike at the studios.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Look, it's colour or microphones, the Beeb isn't made of money.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

she, Patrick and Frazer goofed off on set so much that they lost a lot of takes to laughter

One of my favorite scenes from The Seeds of Death. Keep a close eye on Zoe :3:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

BF did a three audios which had 7 with Jo, 6 with Jamie & Zoe, and 5 with Steven & Vicki.

Yeah, and I've heard some of those. I'm thinking more history altering, like the Doctor is shot by a Kaled in the middle of Genesis of the Daleks and turns into Peter Davison, who has to finish out the episode, confront Davros, and decide if he has that right, while hanging with Harry Sullivan. Then meeting up with Sarah Jane at the end and they go off for new adventures together.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I love that in interviews and such Wendy Padbury is every bit as bright eyed and enthusiastic as she was as Zoe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

And a mouthy Australian became Paul McGann's agent when he was cast as the 8th!

I can't remember the exact quote, but I think it was something like after she got the call offering McGann the role, she put down the phone and said,"I can't get away from this loving show!" :3:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bicyclops posted:

On a rewatch, the more subtle way of portraying the Time Lords as xenophobic, detached traditionalists in The War Games is unquestionably the better way to do it, and the Silly Hats Cartoonish Moron Squad of literally every other depiction of them afterward is just regrettable.

I quite liked how they show up in Terror of the Autons. Just a dapper chap in a bowler hat blithely informing the Doctor his nemesis has arrived before disappearing.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I haven't seen much of classic who, but i have seen some of the serials with 2, jamie and zoe and it's usually good stuff. Makes it extra annoying how modern who is always doctor & girl from modern england.
Allthough season 10 was pretty good with nardol thrown into the mix.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My favourite TARDIS composition is one relatively 'normal' companion (a human from the present or past, like Bill, Ace, Jamie) and one who is either from the far future or an alien and isn't all that impressed with the Doctor in general (Nardole, Captain Jack, Zoe).

I think I will watch Tomb of the Cybermen again today.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

HopperUK posted:

My favourite TARDIS composition is one relatively 'normal' companion (a human from the present or past, like Bill, Ace, Jamie) and one who is either from the far future or an alien and isn't all that impressed with the Doctor in general (Nardole, Captain Jack, Zoe).

I think I will watch Tomb of the Cybermen again today.

Tomb doesn't have that combination :ssh:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tomb doesn't have that combination :ssh:

I know! But I like it, despite it not conforming to my very exacting standards.

(I don't really have standards)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tomb has one of my favorite exchanges of dialogue in the entire series, original and revival:

Klieg: He's fortunate, I spared him

Jamie: You mean you missed him

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Let's not forget:

Doctor: Now there is a distinct element of risk in what I'm asking you all to do, so if anyone wishes to leave they must do so at once.
Jamie starts to leave
Doctor: Not you, Jamie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I love the stories of how insane of a director Morris Berry was. He had a layout of where he wanted the cameras in relation to the sets, and when he got there, and they didn't match, instead of moving his cameras, he kept the cameras in the same place and had the crew rearrange the set.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

Let's not forget:

Doctor: Now there is a distinct element of risk in what I'm asking you all to do, so if anyone wishes to leave they must do so at once.
Jamie starts to leave
Doctor: Not you, Jamie.

I can't get any closer, my todger's on the table!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I can't get any closer, my todger's on the table!

Mine too

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Watching the original Doctor Who and the Silurians. Early Pertwee era is really good so far.

I was trying to place where I had seen Geoffrey Palmer's bullfrog cheeks before, and it was like "Oh, yeah, James Bond, A Fish Called Wanda, Inspector Morse... no, none of those feel right..." Of course it's that he's the captain in on the Space Titanic episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Watching the original Doctor Who and the Silurians. Early Pertwee era is really good so far.

That Silurians episode was so good they decided to just do the same thing again every single time they did another Silurians episode!

In British TV Writing they call this "The Nation Gambit"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

That Silurians episode was so good they decided to just do the same thing again every single time they did another Silurians episode!

Unlike with Nation though, no one's managed to actually do it better than the some what bloated 1970s version.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

See, Blake's 7 etc.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

I quite liked how they show up in Terror of the Autons. Just a dapper chap in a bowler hat blithely informing the Doctor his nemesis has arrived before disappearing.

I just got to this again. It's pretty hilarious. "He'll certainly try to kill you. Anyway, bye forever."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine if all the Doctors had been cast in different orders after Hartnell and the Fourth Doctor was played between 1980 and 1985 by beardy Patrick Troughton from The Box of Delights.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Holy poo poo, that latest short trip with Susan :smith:

She's basically living by herself in Coal Hill school, which has since been converted into flats, working as a techie converting all the Dalek technology after their invasion to be able to be used by humans.

Strange poo poo goes downs with some of the tech, there's a world-destroying asteroid inbound, and the world is invaded by giant spiders.

It's set up by the Doctor, to distract her, because she's getting call-up papers from Gallifrey to fight in the Time War, and he's stealing them when they arrive so she doesn't recieve them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's set up by the Doctor, to distract her, because she's getting call-up papers from Gallifrey to fight in the Time War, and he's stealing them when they arrive so she doesn't recieve them.

Fuccccckkkkkkk..... :gonk:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Pesky Splinter posted:

Holy poo poo, that latest short trip with Susan :smith:

She's basically living by herself in Coal Hill school, which has since been converted into flats, working as a techie converting all the Dalek technology after their invasion to be able to be used by humans.

Strange poo poo goes downs with some of the tech, there's a world-destroying asteroid inbound, and the world is invaded by giant spiders.

Yeah, I really enjoyed this. The ending does make me wonder if Susan will be popping up in any of the other full cast Time War stuff, either Eight's series or the Gallifrey set.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Day of the Daleks is always going to suffer from every second of Aubrey Woods's appearance leading to the question, "When is he finally going to sing Who can take the sunshiiiiiiiiiiiiine..."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bicyclops posted:

I was trying to place where I had seen Geoffrey Palmer's bullfrog cheeks before, and it was like "Oh, yeah, James Bond, A Fish Called Wanda, Inspector Morse... no, none of those feel right..." Of course it's that he's the captain in on the Space Titanic episode.

Pertwee owns because he's just Quatermass with a fancy car

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

Pertwee owns because he's just Quatermass with a fancy car

As a kid I loved The Daemons because I'd never seen anything like it. Then I found it is basically cribbing from Quatermass and the Pit and somehow that makes me like it even more :allears:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jerusalem posted:

As a kid I loved The Daemons because I'd never seen anything like it. Then I found it is basically cribbing from Quatermass and the Pit and somehow that makes me like it even more :allears:

He's probably my favorite of the classic doctors. Venusian akido!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He was my first Doctor, so I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for his era. It doesn't hurt that a lot of his era loving ruled too!

Yeah there were too many 6-parters (and at least one 8-parter from memory?) and if you watch them back-to-back the plotting issues and recycled scenarios become more obvious, but it's still a really charming and fun time in the show's history.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"We need to find a new direction for the Doctor."
"It's 1970 and we're stuck in the 60s. We need something up to date, something modern."
"What are Grade and his lot doing?"

"Brilliant!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

It also gives us the Brig's second finest moment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And Benton's finest: Being outsmarted by the Master's cape.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The 1980 Japanese translation of the David Whitaker 'The Daleks' novelisation has some interesting takes on artwork.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah there were too many 6-parters (and at least one 8-parter from memory?) and if you watch them back-to-back the plotting issues and recycled scenarios become more obvious, but it's still a really charming and fun time in the show's history.

Inferno was seven, can't recall an eight.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

The 1980 Japanese translation of the David Whitaker 'The Daleks' novelisation has some interesting takes on artwork.

These are adorable :allears:

The_Doctor posted:

あなたのレースの死につながる極端な痛みに苦しんでください!*
/

For the curious it reads: Doctor Who Series: Space-time Great Battle!
And it has a middle illustration depicting thte Chasm scene.

[e]: And there's a few more!

オートン軍団の襲来! (Auton Army Attack!)

(AKA Spearhead from Space)

And it has a inner picture of the Nestene Consciousness:

戦慄! 地底モンスター! (Horror! Underground Monsters!)

(AKA Doctor Who and the Silurians)
I can't find the inner picture.

恐るべき最終兵器! (The Terrible Ultimate Weapon!)

(AKA Colony in Space novelised as The Doomsday Weapon)

I haven't actually seen this story, so don't know what's happening.

ダレク族の逆襲! (The Dalek Counterattack!)

(AKA The Dalek Invasion of Earth whoops - it's Day of the Daleks)
It looks like fake-Nyssa is gonna waste a motherfucker.

I honestly don't remember anything that this could be in the story.

The info I was reading while stumbling across more says that they were printed in the 80s.
They're neat, nice find, The Doctor - it's always fun to see the familiar filtered through an unfamiliar lens.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 8, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

These are really cool. I want more Doctor Who design by telephone.

Rewatching The Curse of Peladon is kind of interesting right now in the context of all the Brexit stuff. It's weird to see echoes of the arguments from forty-five years ago suddenly resonate again. Well, weird and a little depressing.

Plus it's always good for David Troughton to show up. The menagerie of aliens feel like the muppet version of the crew who watch the sun explode early in Nine's run. I like that they bring the Ice Warriors back to sort of make us not trust them, and then have the Doctor win them over in the end.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please tell me more images from that exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Rewatching The Curse of Peladon is kind of interesting right now in the context of all the Brexit stuff. It's weird to see echoes of the arguments from forty-five years ago suddenly resonate again. Well, weird and a little depressing.

It wasn't exactly the same, granted:

• Locked thread