Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

theres a will theres moe posted:

Those wing sung 3008s are really cool looking. Wish I worked as an artist so I could carry flamboyant stuff like that.

I work in healthcare, it's not a super outspoken pen IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

VelociBacon posted:

I work in healthcare, it's not a super outspoken pen IMO.

No offense intended. 'flamboyant' was probably too strong. I work for the govt and everybody just uses standard skilcraft pens and stuff. People are always asking me about my 'fancy' graphgear mechanical pencil.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

No offense intended. 'flamboyant' was probably too strong. I work for the govt and everybody just uses standard skilcraft pens and stuff. People are always asking me about my 'fancy' graphgear mechanical pencil.

Do we work together?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Speaking of flamboyant and super outspoken pens, the biggest pen I have is a Hero 590. It is 158 mm long.

Not my photo for scale.

On the other end of the price spectrum there’s the 172 mm Namiki Emperor:

Nibbus Maximus takes the cake.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hmm..
I also just ran across the Muji

Which I would probably buy if it were refillable.

Word, thanks for the advice. Yeah they offer a satin finish on the ball point, but not the fountain.

Maybe I'll buy a milling machine and make my own pens.

You want a 80s/90s Sheaffer Sentinel.

They're a cartridge converter so refilling isn't an issue, I used mine as an eye dropper actually. Shouldn't be very expensive if you track one down.

This version of the Sentinel was designed by Sailor so the nibs run a more Japanese line width.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 8, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That Muji pen is apparently picky about converters but some do fit.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

I think I clicked that same link earlier. Wound up ordering a faber castell converter and some bernanke ink to go with it. I can report back on how it goes.

Megabound posted:

You want a 80s/90s Sheaffer Sentinel.

They're a cartridge converter so refilling isn't an issue, I used mine as an eye dropper actually. Shouldn't be very expensive if you track one down.

This version of the Sentinel was designed by Sailor so the nibs run a more Japanese line width.

That is pretty close to what I was looking for. A lot of those pens look very familiar, in a nostalgic way. Someone around me must have had a bunch of them when I was a kid.

I am a disgusting piece of poo poo, and I have a tendency to chew my pens, which is part of the reason I want it to be metal. I would avoid a used pen for this reason. I'm trying to break the habit.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 8, 2017

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I still chew the poo poo out of ballpoints if one ends up in my hands somehow. My brain at least stops me from chewing on pens I spent hundreds of dollars on though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Always chew on ballpoints, one fewer ballpoint piece of poo poo in the world is always a Good Thing.

Anyone here have a medium nib Lamy Safari? Thinking about grabbing one but I'm curious about the several recent reviews on Amazon that claim the nibs are finicky and you frequently have to shake/squeeze/prematurely refill them. Not sure if that's a real issue or just people who are bad at fountain pens and don't realize you can't just leave one sitting unused for 2 weeks and expect it to work perfectly.

Could go with the pilot metro but I really prefer a slightly wider nib.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've got a Medium Safari, and compared to my Medium Metropolitan it is a wider line, but comparably smooth. If anything it is slightly wetter.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
My medium safari is incredibly smooth. I like it alot

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Platystemon posted:

Speaking of flamboyant and super outspoken pens, the biggest pen I have is a Hero 590. It is 158 mm long.

Y'all call that "flamboyant"?

That ain't flamboyant.

This is flamboyant

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
My Lamys are my most trouble-free pens. Don't believe the reviews on Amazon. They always work, and I've never had to shake them down. Sometimes with an especially viscous ink I have to advance the converter a bit when it gets low, but that's it.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

effika posted:

My Lamys are my most trouble-free pens. Don't believe the reviews on Amazon. They always work, and I've never had to shake them down. Sometimes with an especially viscous ink I have to advance the converter a bit when it gets low, but that's it.

There are issues with counterfeit Lamy stuff which may be why there are bad reviews. Some sellers might be authentic and others counterfeit for the same listing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What is everyone’s favourite model of international converter?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Velius posted:

There are issues with counterfeit Lamy stuff which may be why there are bad reviews. Some sellers might be authentic and others counterfeit for the same listing.

I forgot about those! That's a good point, though, to be wary of counterfeits and choose your retailer wisely. Amazon is usually cheaper, but can be a lottery.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Platystemon posted:

What is everyone’s favourite model of international converter?

I like the Schmidt ones. They have a little metal band reinforcing the lip and the plastic of the piston screw doesn't feel chintzy at all. I'm not a fan of their nib units, but the converters are pretty sweet.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Always chew on ballpoints, one fewer ballpoint piece of poo poo in the world is always a Good Thing.

Anyone here have a medium nib Lamy Safari? Thinking about grabbing one but I'm curious about the several recent reviews on Amazon that claim the nibs are finicky and you frequently have to shake/squeeze/prematurely refill them. Not sure if that's a real issue or just people who are bad at fountain pens and don't realize you can't just leave one sitting unused for 2 weeks and expect it to work perfectly.

Could go with the pilot metro but I really prefer a slightly wider nib.

My medium nib Lamy Safari is my favorite pen.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I routinely leave my safari (f) sitting for weeks and it works fine, incidentally. It does write quite dry for a stroke or two, but it's fine.

The only international converters I own are Schmidts, and they've done me just fine.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

I want to buy a fountain pen, but I want one with a thin body that is made of metal, preferably a satin finish with a uniform color (silver, please) and a sturdy pocket-clip.

The cross century line appears to be the closest I can get. Do they suck? Are they refillable with a converter?

Are there better options that meet my preference?

E: oh, yeah, I'm a lefty and I want lines as fine as are practical for writing

E2: as close as I can get to a graphgear 1000, aesthetically. A knurled grip, as seen, would be perfect, but I doubt I'll find it.

Have you considered a Lamy Logo?

It seems to have most of what you want and fits their standard cartridges and converter.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

unzealous posted:

Have you considered a Lamy Logo?

It seems to have most of what you want and fits their standard cartridges and converter.

Wow, awesome. That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

On the other end of the price spectrum there’s the 172 mm Namiki Emperor:

Update: I found a bigger pen:

That is not The Orange One’s hand.

https://imgur.com/a/3Q4hz

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
6 freaking mL are you kidding me

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is it impossible to get a Lamy converter clean or am I having some kind of nightmare where the ink just never stops coming out of it

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

unkle77 posted:

6 freaking mL are you kidding me

Best place to hide booze yet.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I bought a lamy Al star, a lamy safari, and a Muji.

My favorite pen so far is the Muji. It is beautifully built. It could be a piece of art , IMO. It has a nice weight and the knurling is subtle but effective. It feels like a serious instrument in the hand, like a scalpel. The faber Castell converter does work with it. Downside: can't really swap nibs, AFAIK. Some redditor put an Edison nib on his but it doesn't really fit and it ruins the clean lines of the pen.

I could take or leave the Lamys. They're a bit busy-looking and they feature relatively premium materials in places but the grips are glossy plastic. However, my Favorite nib so far is the lamy medium or 1.1. I'd put that on everything. Makes everything you write look smarter. Like a British accent for your hand.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You can absolutely swap nibs with the Muji. Anything made by Bock will fit, so among others, Bock, Faber-Castell, Schmidt and Levenger nibs will all work.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

grack posted:

You can absolutely swap nibs with the Muji. Anything made by Bock will fit, so among others, Bock, Faber-Castell, Schmidt and Levenger nibs will all work.

Niiiice. I love these forums.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
A Muji opened in Vancouver and I stood in line for 20 minutes just to get a chance at that stupid pen.

They were out, but I ended up with a bunch of neat pencils and some super weird candy. It's like Ikea but Japanese.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Muni is one of my most favourite brands in all the world and I own an absurd amount of stuff from them. They started out as a no-name house brand for one of Japan’s largest department stores and quickly evolved into their own unique lineup of utterly brandless clothing and housewares and god knows what else. Think Target but a couple steps up in terms of quality and obsessiveness, and a bit more ethical.

Only bugbear I have is that foreign Mujis are really overpriced. That notebook you’re getting for four or five bucks is something like ninety cents in Japan.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
eBay.com has a 20% off promo code right now, PROMONYCC.

It appears to apply to everything in the Collectibles category, which includes most fountain pens and accessories, new or used, from any seller.

It expires in ten hours.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pixelante posted:

A Muji opened in Vancouver and I stood in line for 20 minutes just to get a chance at that stupid pen.

They were out, but I ended up with a bunch of neat pencils and some super weird candy. It's like Ikea but Japanese.

I'm in Vancouver also - let me know if you want to sell any interesting pens.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pixelante posted:

VelociBacon posted:

Y'all should come to the Vancouver pen club meetings if you don't already.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

VelociBacon posted:

I live in Victoria, a tedious couple hours away by ferry. I'll be over there on Saturday, though. I thought I might go check out Paper-Ya in Granville.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

grack posted:

Y'all should come to the Vancouver pen club meetings if you don't already.

I really am just new to it and barely have the information to be entertained at this stage. I wonder if they fight over who gets to take the minutes at the meetings.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kessel posted:

I use a VP stub as a daily writer. There is no line variation to speak of but it’s firm on the page and enjoyable to write for long periods with.

Well I didn’t get a stock stub, but I did get a good deal on a broad nib unit that I will send to a nibmeister to be ground to cursive italic.

That is Richard Binder’s work (now retired), 0.7 mm on a medium.

I don’t care that much about the line variation, but my handwriting does look better with it and I trust that an experienced nibmeister will get the feeling right.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

I really am just new to it and barely have the information to be entertained at this stage. I wonder if they fight over who gets to take the minutes at the meetings.

Well, if you decide to try it out info is here: http://www.vancouverpenclub.com/

It is pen and ink swap night, so if you're looking for something new it might be a good chance to try a bunch of pens.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Turns out we'll be at the LA show in February. See you California goons there. We'll have something very, very special to show - more special than baby notebooks.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any goons have an Edison? They're relatively local to me and I'm wondering if they're any good. Some of them look quite lovely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

[quote="“grack”" post="“477233418”"]
Well, if you decide to try it out info is here: http://www.vancouverpenclub.com/

It is pen and ink swap night, so if you’re looking for something new it might be a good chance to try a bunch of pens.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll look at this.

E: I've only got a metro and noodler's black right now but I'm making a leather sheath for someone who is in turn going to make me some sort of fountain pen so that should be more interesting.