Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

bull3964 posted:

I'm not claiming anyone is irresponsible.

I am saying that I have gigantic Velcro hands and I spend 90% of my time either at home (where my phone is sitting on a table) or at work where I'm sitting at my desk. So, I don't feel the need to wrap my phone up to withstand the coming nuclear apocalypse.

I lead a very boring life so there's very little opportunity for a phone to get damaged.

The only phone I did kill the screen on was my Moto Razr after I leaned over a foozball table. The screen wasn't facing outward, but it didn't matter. The phone was too thin and flexed too easily. Glass wasn't even broken, just the OLED substrate. Moto fixed it for free.

Me too dude
But then I dropped my phone on concrete
I've owned 7 different phones in like 11 years and I never dropped/cracked one until I did last summer and I know I'll drop another eventually so that's why I always get a good case now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dude I'm with you on a lot of your posts, but this is a real stupid thing to say. No one wants or plans to drop their phone. You won't intend to drop it when you do, and you will. If you don't want a case, that's fine, just say you accept the risk, rather than dumb poo poo like this.

No, you don't understand, he once deliberately let go of his phone, palm down... and nothing happened.

It just stayed touching his hand.

It's how he knew the phone had accepted him as its master.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

drat skippy!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And to the people who say they'll never drop their phone because they would never drop and break something worth $650, that's exactly why you should get a case because you will eventually drop and break those $650

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I treat my phone like something that costs $650 so I don't drop them.

I treat my phone like it's the Nokia I had in 2002 and use it as a throwing weapon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If my luck runs out, it's only about $150 to get a screen replaced through official channels. That's something I can live with.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
[quote="“Calaveron”" post="“477165372”"]
And to the people who say they’ll never drop their phone because they would never drop and break something worth $650, that’s exactly why you should get a case because you will eventually drop and break those $650
[/quote]

You realize there are several protection plans and carrier insurance, right? Or do you forgo insurance since you use a case? If so you should really get insurance because eventually you will lose your phone or have it stolen and then you lose those $650

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

comper posted:

You realize there are several protection plans and carrier insurance, right? Or do you forgo insurance since you use a case? If so you should really get insurance because eventually you will lose your phone or have it stolen and then you lose those $650

I do have insurance because a case can only protect so much but it can protect more than nothing and you still have to pay the deductible and go without for a couple of days for a fall that would've been harmless with a case

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
It's almost like we're having a pedantic argument about what is ultimately a subjective, personal decision.

I put my current waterproof phone in a layer of secondary plastic armor with a screen protector because I don't care what my mostly-glass rectangle looks like. Given that, there's no good reason not to.

Hell, my Spigen case has a nifty kickstand that holds the phone at a decent viewing angle that I use every now and then.

I ran my Droid Turbo and MXP without cases because the former was entirely plastic and kevlar, the latter was cheap enough and decently grippy.

My wife can't seem to operate an electronic device without occasionally chucking it at the ground so hers always live in Nerf style idiot-proof cases.

If you actually read all of that, the point is who loving cares?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

comper posted:

It's okay, I don't lose phones or let them get stolen. That'd just be careless.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Shere posted:

decently grippy.

bruh

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

i've never broken a smartphone in 7 years of using them ama

I have dropped them but it just made dents (or popped the back off on phones with removable batteries)

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

100% Dundee posted:

It's okay, I don't lose phones or let them get stolen. That'd just be careless.

Also most insurance plans I've looked into don't cover lost or stolen phones anyways.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Do you case guys also wrap your kids and/or cars in bubble wrap because you know those things tend to get scratches and dents too. And they are much more expensive than a phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bronin posted:

Do you case guys also wrap your kids and/or cars in bubble wrap because you know those things tend to get scratches and dents too. And they are much more expensive than a phone.

you're god drat right I do

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
kids heal :smugdog:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I really missed a post about griptape :allears:

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

I'm ready for anything

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'd unironically buy a Caterpillar phone so I can go caseless:
https://www.catphones.com/shop/cat-s41-smartphone/

The S60 has a FLIR camera wich sounds stupid but being in the army is a loving cool feature

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
This is just a phone with a case you can't take off.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Would be neat if a case could let your phone do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ThFmTiz4Ss

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
lol at you guys that can't use magnetic car mounts because you don't use cases :smuggo:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

lol at you guys that can't use magnetic car mounts because you don't use cases :smuggo:

I've always been curious, do those mess with the phone's built-in compass?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Maybe a little, but Maps generally goes by the direction of travel anyway.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

For me, it's a small price to pay. Made even smaller by my using an iOttie car mount which because of the size of the mount and size of my phone basically just grips the phone as I push it in, and lets go when I pull it out. No loving around adjusting the arms each time.

(full disclosure, I'm using a case on my Pixel XL now until I decide if I'm going to sell it or trade it in or keep it. If I decide to keep it, I'm taking the case off)

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I got a Pixel at a solid price ($350 - just right if I want to trade it in/sell it) and am considering switching back to Android/Fi.

I've been using iPhones for the last three years, and I'm having lots of issues going back to Android. The UI feels too small and fiddly, I am one of the few people who actually prefer LCD screens it seems, the soft navigation buttons are annoying, and while of the apps/functionality seems to be finally there, and apps don't tend to release early for iOS anymore, the polish is still lacking.

It works so much better with casting though, and with Google Homes and Chromecasts that is really nice. The UX on the Pixel is also super, super smooth - it is easily as nice as my iPhone 7 was on iOS10, and way better than iOS11. This combined with the increased amounts of clutter and head-scratching UI decisions on iOS is confusing me. Apple pricing becoming increasingly divorced from reality doesn't help, and is making a bit resentful of the company in general too.

I guess the real question is - has anyone switched from iPhone to Android and had a bad case of iOS Stockholm syndrome? It feels like I am pushing back against the switch because its different, not because its worse.

edit: Also, cases are fine. No case is fine. I have a cheap TPU case I use when I go out in the field at work or am at the gym, and just pull it off the rest of the time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Android auto so I don't need a phone mount in the car :smuggo:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

IuniusBrutus posted:

I guess the real question is - has anyone switched from iPhone to Android and had a bad case of iOS Stockholm syndrome? It feels like I am pushing back against the switch because its different, not because its worse.

I am interested in this too. I have a Pixel 2 preordered, coming from an iPhone 6S. I'm so used to iOS, and my only exposure to Android is friends' terrible bloated poorly maintained phones. So I am very curious how I will react to a "proper" Android experience.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's like...yeah it's different from iOS. Are you willing to adjust or not?

You're going to get different reactions on the experience from different people.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I switched to Android after having had iPhones since the 3G. The last one was the 5s before it broke and I got a second-hand Nexus 5. Then the 5X two years ago. I'll never look back. The Google integration, responsiveness and cleaner UI sold me, plus not being locked into the Apple ecosystem and getting a slower phone with every OS update. Still have my early 2011 MBP as a main computer because I'm a poor, but the next one will is not be a Mac.

The Nexus 5 is still quite snappy with Nougat. Great spare phone. And Oreo made my 5X seen faster, even.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

I've always been curious, do those mess with the phone's built-in compass?

Yes they do :( I may get rid of mine because of that tbh

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also, for all of Samsung issues and despite this enormous screen, I'm getting 6hrs screen on time on this Note 8. Also no typical Samsung UI lag and even Snapchat is snappy, thanks to the SD835. Makes me more excited for the Pixel 2 XL.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also, for all of Samsung issues and despite this enormous screen, I'm getting 6hrs screen on time on this Note 8. Also no typical Samsung UI lag and even Snapchat is snappy, thanks to the SD835. Makes me more excited for the Pixel 2 XL.

FWIW, these tests show the Note 8 dropping frames more than the Pixel 1 XL.

https://www.xda-developers.com/note-8-real-world-performance-analysis/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, these tests show the Note 8 dropping frames more than the Pixel 1 XL.

https://www.xda-developers.com/note-8-real-world-performance-analysis/

Yeah, it does feel at a lower frame rate than the Pixel XL. I'm trying to compare it more to previous Samsung phones, I'll always be a Pixel Warrior. It's faster than the Pixel but less smooth, if that makes sense.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, it does feel at a lower frame rate than the Pixel XL. I'm trying to compare it more to previous Samsung phones, I'll always be a Pixel Warrior. It's faster than the Pixel but less smooth, if that makes sense.

Yes, those same tests show it being faster at opening apps than the XL.

(though, hilariously the OnePlus 5 is the fastest)

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

A lot of people get this in both directions. I think the biggest fundamental difference would probably be how the back button works; since it's always available apps are designed to keep track of your "navigation path" and send you back to where you accessed the app from. For example, if you open a link in an IM and it pulls up the browser hitting Back will send you back to the IM, while accessing the browser directly will make it navigate back one page.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I was on the fence about the pixel 2, but I'm switching to tmobile anyway so their half off + the trade in half off is too good to pass up. I'm chatting with support now to see if my remaining year of the device protection plan can transfer.

Edit: not transferrable, but they're going to mail me a check for (remaining time / total time)*device protection plan cost.

Neat!

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 8, 2017

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of T-Mobile, are they running anything currently that would cover or reduce an ETF if you switch to them?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This is a dumb question but didn't T-Mobile always offer $325 to bring a Pixel to them? I know I got $650 off my bill when my Pixels came in. Did they stop doing that at some point? I thought it had been there the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
[quote="“Thermopyle”" post="“477175153”"]
It’s like...yeah it’s different from iOS. Are you willing to adjust or not?

You’re going to get different reactions on the experience from different people.
[/quote]

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Like if there's any minor quibbles people had to learn or iOS habits to unlearn. Definitely willing to adapt, just curious what others have gone through