Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

R.D. Mangles posted:

northwestern is the worst team in the big ten and i struggle to see where they'll actually get another win

Next year, when you host Wisconsin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Washington only allowed 93 yards :eyepop:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I hate when people that haven't been up close and personal to the offense try to weigh in on the issues......oh wait.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The only points we gave up were on a scoop n score which was more than a little embarrassing.

We had a couple rough patches on offense too, but fortunately weren't an issue with the way the defense played.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

After making slow, deliberate love to a sixer of Jai Alai during that abortion of a game I'd like to acknowledge that I still want to die.

Let me be clear: the sweet release of death is preferable to watching another down of McElwain football.

UF flew to the mountains, engaged in a dog-and-pony show for the honor of buying out a 10M contract of an offensive 'guru.' He transformed CSU from 3-9 to 10-3 with an explosive offense, and it seemed like a good fit.

3 years of middling success later, I'm not sure it's workable. He has hitched his UF career to Doug loving Nussmeier, a man run out of Michigan for lovely offense. The team has regressed in every phase other than special teams, and even that is inconsistent.

Each of these "successful" seasons have closed with big losses to FSU and Bama in Atlanta. Year One had the bonus of a completely noncompetitive blowout loss to Michigan and their also-first year head coach.

Our OL was pushed around by the front 7 that was mauled by Troy a week ago. I just....

Our remaining schedule:
Texas A&M Probable Loss.
Georgia Definite Loss
Missouri Probable Win
South Carolina Probable Loss
UAB Win
Florida State Almost Definite Loss

A 5-6 record this year feels really loving likely, actually.

I'm not sure where we go from here. I don't know why the program is so broken. The playcalling is poo poo. Our players are made of glass. Our defense is talented but profoundly undisciplined.

A record that bad would likely torpedo our next recruiting class or two.

I'm at a total loss. What a loving unwatchable mess.

JonathonSpectre posted:

I'm not 100% sure we will win a single game from here on out.

You definitely have at least one more.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol if you think FSU is beating those jort wearing fucks this year.

:smithicide:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

Our remaining schedule:

UAB Win

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Randaconda posted:

lol if you think FSU is beating those jort wearing fucks this year.

:smithicide:

Our defense is the perfect Rx for ailing offenses.

Oh, and also Franks just runs backwards when the pocket closes. Or slowly cross steps to the sideline for a big loss.

Alaois posted:

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I actually agonized on that one but talent gap is too big. Might be reflexive almost, but I wouldn't be surprised if we drop that one. More likely to drop Mizzou though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Crotch Bat posted:

So if I'm the Big 12, I'm taking all my refs into a room and saying "do whatever it takes to keep TCU perfect" because if they drop a game the Big 12 is going to miss on the CFP for a 4th year.

I wouldn't bury OU or Ok State yet, if either runs the table all they probably need is an upset in the Pac 12 or Big Ten championship games.

That said, OU looks deeply flawed and doesn't seem likely to run the table. TCU ain't making it through unscathed either, though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Florida fans are the biggest babies on earth.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

General Dog posted:

Please don't sign your posts.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
lol @ anyone believing Florida will "definitely" lose to Georgia this, or any, year. that's what I thought in 2014 and then lmao. just lmao.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I wish I hadn't made that "Michigan's offense is bad enough to turn the ball over 4 times and lose to anyone" post and then they had to one up me by turning it over 5 times.

I feel bad for the defense, because this is probably going to be every game the rest of the season.

0 experienced WRs and a bad o-line is not a good combination

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
just think

if Florida hadn't of missed that XP, they'd of gone to overtime and we'd probably still be watching those two lovely offense try to score.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I wish I hadn't made that "Michigan's offense is bad enough to turn the ball over 4 times and lose to anyone" post and then they had to one up me by turning it over 5 times.

I feel bad for the defense, because this is probably going to be every game the rest of the season.

0 experienced WRs and a bad o-line is not a good combination

Same thing happened to us in 2012. Sad to see a championship caliber defense get wasted on a shitawful offense.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

-40 rushing yards. 5th fewest yards given up in UW history.

Didn't stop ESPN from calling us soft though!

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

So I just want to throw out how garbage the refs were yesterday.

https://twitter.com/matthewbabula/status/916802948436582400

That play should have at least been looked at. He's out and running well before the whistle blows, and he'd broken through a few scrums like that they didn't whistle dead. Refs didn't review what should have been targeting on Matthew Thomas. Refs allowed massive holds for a large part of the game, though they finally called a couple in the second half. Bunch of uncalled PI calls.

Also, they took like a 10 minute break to review a catch that Richards made for 25 yards to take away 3 yards. It didn't change the down, and had no bearing on the game. Gave FSU defense a chance to get back on their feet.

We had some bad calls go our way as well I think, but that crew was just complete poo poo.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

On paper, UGA should only maybe lose to Auburn, and Alabama if we get that far, but this is UGA and we will probably be ranked top 4 after yesterday's Xort pleasing football, and I can't shake the feeling that we are going to drop to a team we have no business, like Florida or Mizzou.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C-Euro posted:

Has Michigan been relevant since Bo died? Someone give me some outside perspective here.

I guess I don't know how you want to define relevant but they've been really good the last two years. They lost by 4 against a good team while playing in a monsoon and having terrible luck with turnovers, it's not the end of the world

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

General Dog posted:

Despite top 10 recruiting classes, the Gators are about even with Vanderbilt.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

PostNouveau posted:

Tom Herman needs to stop chasing points early in the game when we don't know if we'll need to chase points yet or not. This was the second of five games that went to OT when he didn't take a chip shot FG early in the game and we turned over on downs going for a TD.

Also the offense is way better for reasons I can't comprehend.

Last week some smart posters explained to me why the offense was so bad and why it might not be Tim Beck's fault. I need those posters to explain to me what the gently caress happened today that made everything click against a good D.

UT tied for the lead in the Big 12. Just us and TCU at the top of the heap.

This was my exact post from last week's thread

TheGreyGhost posted:

I've watched a lot of Texas football this year (what's wrong with me), and it's really just the same story as what Ohio State did last year with slightly worse talent. Beck as a playcaller loves these really slow-developing crossing plays and sweep/zone runs, which makes sense when you consider he's traditionally from Big 12 country where it's been all about speed/space to move the ball. He was a Mangino assistant who brought a slightly more option-oriented look to Nebraska as well but kept the same dogshit passing game. He hasn't changed at all for OSU and Texas.

For Beck's offense to work, you absolutely have to have a primary running threat at QB. Sweep/Veer/Outside zone style option plays rely on either guy being fast enough to get past the blockers into space in the intended direction. This is a huge huge huge problem when you have a JT Barrett or Shane Buchele who generously run in the 4.7s, which adds to the time that the keep read has to hold their blocks and leads to a poo poo ton of holding calls and plays where the correct read is made but it goes for 1 yard. It can work if you let the QB take on the inside running which takes less distance to cover, like Florida did with Tebow and the inverted reads they would run, but that requires you to have a wealth of speed threats that can handle taking hits, and it can still be stopped by defenses just overloading the edges and letting your QB walk 3 yards into a LB every time. You just can't realistically threaten the other guys with an offense that asks 9 guys to block 4-5 seconds every play and then runs a passing game oriented around either waiting for your receiver to beat his man in crossing space or waiting for the receiver to sit down in a soft spot in the zone after recognizing it. Most modern offenses have realized that to get around the athletically limited QB in the read game, you need the pass option to keep a defense from crashing on a slow QB making reads, no matter who the RB is. gently caress, it's a testament to Zeke that he put up the 2015 he did with the options that we ran.

I guarantee, if you had a playcaller/offensive scheme guy that recognized that deficiency, we wouldn't be talking about how bad the Texas line is.

Basically, you can summarize as, "It's kind of Beck's fault" but in a personnel sense more than anything. It's an offense that needs a certain set of personnel to work, and if it gets them, it can be super potent.

Some Ohio State Thoughts:

- Barrett looks like he has a level of confidence he hasn't had since his freshman year. Watching him push the ball out and take risks is a welcome change. The only thing I'm still worrying about is deep accuracy, but it's less important if he's willing to unleash the dragon from 10-20 yards now since that alone keeps guys out of the box.

- The receivers look much better, and I think it's a product of the rotation being a little more controlled. Victor and Mack are finally living up to their rankings and looks really really good matched up one-on-one which is what the offense needs to create space for Campbell. Campbell and Dixon are completely freakish in terms of what they can do from an underneath route. KJ Hill needs to work on his blocking because he missed a lot of blocks from the slot, and McLaurin needs to learn how to run a route instead of just being an amazing perimeter blocker. That said, very happy we've been slinging the ball the last few weeks to get some chemistry in this group and get them developing/confident.

- Dobbins looks a little run-down right now, which makes sense considering he's a 19 year old starter playing his first full season in 2 years. Should probably be using Weber/McCall/Williams more to keep him healthy for the stretch. Weber looks so much better as a power back rather than an all-rounder. McCall still looks about 85% but is nasty as hell.

- I feel very bad for Tanner Lee next week, because he's probably good for 3-4 turnovers with the D-Line doing what it is and the corners finally getting their act together. Again, Nick Bosa doesn't even start for this team and had like 3 TFL playing 1/3 of the snaps.

- LBs are looking better. I'm in favor of burying Worley on the depth chart at this point with Browning and Borland stepping up so well in his place. Booker and Baker are men among boys and finally covering/moving the way they're supposed to. They should dominate down the stretch with all the bad pro-style offenses remaining in the conference.

- Denzel Ward is maybe the best technical corner OSU has had in a decade but is 5'10" and could be taken away by a stiff breeze. Watching him of all people get a BS targeting call is proof that technique solves a lot of issues though. Arnette's was completely deserved, but the rotation is getting better anyways. Sheffield managed to not get embarassed, and Okudah looks like a future all-star, so I'm happy there.

- Safety play finally was good with solid tackling. Send Erick Smith to the bench and let Fuller keep the job.

- Thank you Kevin Wilson for abusing downfield passes the last few weeks to build some confidence. Thank you Greg Schiano for being a reckless nutjob with those blitz calls. This team is as fun as that 2014 team right now.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
That O'Korn flop would be a hilarious meme if the loving refs hadn't fallen for it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Are we doomed to PSU being in the playoff? Is there any hope of the Buckeyes or Michigan saving us from such a fate?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Zwabu posted:

Are we doomed to PSU being in the playoff? Is there any hope of the Buckeyes or Michigan saving us from such a fate?

score doesn't reflect it, but PSU looked like garbage for most of the game yesterday, Northwestern's awful defense shut down Barkley and the non-existent offense kept giving Penn State the ball on the 50 for the entire second half until the defense gassed out. An actual Big Ten team can beat them.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah I actually just now was editing that post because I completely spaced on that. That injury sucks :(

Do you know if he has a shot at a medical redshirt? Although he might not stay long enough to use it anyway I guess.

He would definitely be eligible for one, but it sounds like he's still trying to make it back at some point this season, so that's obviously off the table if he does. No one's really sure what the plan is at the moment, but I'm in favor of not trying to rush him back.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dilber posted:

So I just want to throw out how garbage the refs were yesterday.

https://twitter.com/matthewbabula/status/916802948436582400

That play should have at least been looked at. He's out and running well before the whistle blows, and he'd broken through a few scrums like that they didn't whistle dead. Refs didn't review what should have been targeting on Matthew Thomas. Refs allowed massive holds for a large part of the game, though they finally called a couple in the second half. Bunch of uncalled PI calls.

Also, they took like a 10 minute break to review a catch that Richards made for 25 yards to take away 3 yards. It didn't change the down, and had no bearing on the game. Gave FSU defense a chance to get back on their feet.

We had some bad calls go our way as well I think, but that crew was just complete poo poo.
Refs have been loving us since NCState, but god drat are we eating poo poo as a team independant of that

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Zwabu posted:

There are no good teams except Alabama, so probably?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Zwabu posted:

Bucky has a 5 bulldozers blocking for a majestic Pegasus.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

Sky Shadowing posted:

That O'Korn flop would be a hilarious meme if the loving refs hadn't fallen for it.

How dare anyone suggest a Michigan man act in a way that doesn't demonstrate anything but the utmost integrity

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Coco13 posted:

Bucky has a 5 bulldozers blocking for a majestic Pegasus.

Same as it ever was.

:getin:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

HannibalBarca posted:

lol @ anyone believing Florida will "definitely" lose to Georgia this, or any, year. that's what I thought in 2014 and then lmao. just lmao.

Normally I'd agree, but we couldn't push around a team that was gouged between the tackles by Troy—we sure as gently caress aren't running on y'all.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

score doesn't reflect it, but PSU looked like garbage for most of the game yesterday, Northwestern's awful defense shut down Barkley and the non-existent offense kept giving Penn State the ball on the 50 for the entire second half until the defense gassed out. An actual Big Ten team can beat them.

I was very frustrated that everything seemed to be "Barkley can't run? TRACE DRAW PLAY!!!!" instead of unleashing the dragon, which worked a ton last year.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

lmao Jimbo running with that "just needed one more play" bullshit

Nah man, the team is horribly coached, players aren't where they're supposed to be, the defense is abysmal, there's no leadership at all, former players on the sidelines had to get in our current players' faces about doing their jobs well and picking themselves up.

Boosters are coming down on him hard today

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

northwestern is the worst team in the big ten and i struggle to see where they'll actually get another win

preparing for a beatdown from Illinois I see

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Trace McSorely has been exposed to be incredibly rear end when his Rex Grossman impression regresses to Bad Rex Grossman, which teams like Iowa have already taken advantage of. Even if they do make it, Penn State, the school that facilitated the rape of children, will be embarrassed by either Clemson or Alabama

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Enjoy this gem from the shaggy game thread:

"The crowd was lacking big time. Thought I was tuning into a high school game. Austin Millennials should be rounded up via pickup trucks with beer drinking rednecks and forced to scrub the guano poo poo from the stadium. I'm so tired of the "me" generation that my 17 year old son isn't allowed to look at his loving phone when he's at home. He has no Facebook account and I don't put up with any GD whining. It's their helicopter fag parents and liberals that created this touchy feely mess we have in Austin. A good war would change all of this imho."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

buddhanc posted:

"The crowd was lacking big time. Thought I was tuning into a high school game. Austin Millennials should be rounded up via pickup trucks with beer drinking rednecks and forced to scrub the guano poo poo from the stadium. I'm so tired of the "me" generation that my 17 year old son isn't allowed to look at his loving phone when he's at home. He has no Facebook account and I don't put up with any GD whining. It's their helicopter fag parents and liberals that created this touchy feely mess we have in Austin. A good war would change all of this imho."

ultimately the death of football is going to drive these people to suck-start a shotgun

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

buddhanc posted:

helicopter fag parent. so what.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

buddhanc posted:

There's a lot to unpack here, but I think my favorite is right at the beginning.

"Ugh, there wasn't a crowd!" said the man watching the game on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

"Guano poo poo"

• Locked thread