Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
they've mentioned that the achievement is gonna include livestock when the patch hits.

all I can think of is anything as the Ottomans, not that their achievements are particularly hard normally. maybe if you were planning on getting a world conquest with them or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Allyn posted:

The one to own 200 grain provinces as a horde. Next patch half the steppes are getting changed to livestock.
I had been worried about this, but then I saw what Koramei said somewhere so I decided to wait on it. I've exhausted my patience for trying to poo poo on Muscovy as the Great Horde so I would have had a hard time motivating myself to do that one right now anyway.

Regarding the Ottomans: I've already unified Islam and got the one about Rome and Moscow so I think I am good in that regard. And I have no patience to do a WC, heh, so I guess I'll wait.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
The way AI offensive wars works is so loving stupid, AI Pomerania keeps starting suicidal wars and if I turn them down I will get the same malus as if I abandoned an ally on the defense? Stop loving attacking the PLC and Muscovy you stupid poo poo. They should at least make the "Don't call me into offensive wars" an option to set as the default.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It would be a lot better if offensive CTAs weren't all of a sudden, and your allies actually gave you some time to prepare.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

The way AI offensive wars works is so loving stupid, AI Pomerania keeps starting suicidal wars and if I turn them down I will get the same malus as if I abandoned an ally on the defense? Stop loving attacking the PLC and Muscovy you stupid poo poo. They should at least make the "Don't call me into offensive wars" an option to set as the default.

It'd be neat if it was a Checkbox when you first make the Alliance.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Or just make defensive alliances a thing.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Yeah. Why aren't Defensive Alliances a thing?

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 10, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

You can set a checkbox so the ai won't call you in offensive wars, in the window where you also spend your favors for trust... I think it is a Cossacks feature?

Anyway if you do that they're going to consider whether you're useful to them despite your unwillingness to be their attack dog, so any comparable sized power to yourself will probably break a defensive-only alliance

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

TorakFade posted:

You can set a checkbox so the ai won't call you in offensive wars, in the window where you also spend your favors for trust... I think it is a Cossacks feature?

Anyway if you do that they're going to consider whether you're useful to them despite your unwillingness to be their attack dog, so any comparable sized power to yourself will probably break a defensive-only alliance

If you have high favor/trust with the ally, trust starts to tick down towards 50 and I think favors also ticks down toward 0. But most ai nation will keep the alliance for a long time even when it's set to defensive only. I use it a lot when I want to avoid getting dragged into the ai's sometimes insane offensive wars and I've never had the ai break an alliance with me over that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Here is this week's DD: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-10th-of-october-2017.1049703/

Changes to Mamluk government, advisors now have a culture and religion which affects events, Iqta government changes, Timurids start as an Empire rank Iqta.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Here is this week's DD: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-10th-of-october-2017.1049703/

Changes to Mamluk government, advisors now have a culture and religion which affects events, Iqta government changes, Timurids start as an Empire rank Iqta.

So glad I managed to form Mughals before the Timurid change! Now I get to be a bitter old coot and rant at newbies for having it easy!

"In my time I had to start stupid wars just to quell my Unrest, and then suffer -more- unrest due to war exhaustion and overextension! You guys are just not hardcore enough!"

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I was listening to a podcast yesterday which mentioned the Imperium mod, which was a surprise to me since for some reason I never thought of EU4 having any big conversion mods other than M&T. Are there any other significant overhaul mods out there worth checking out besides M&T and Imperium?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So... is the the new Mamluk strategy to grab some Chinese culture provinces ASAP? I assume they have the highest total development in the world...

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

So... is the the new Mamluk strategy to grab some Chinese culture provinces ASAP? I assume they have the highest total development in the world...

i imagine it's total development you own

and if you own china and egypt at the same time you're doing p. well regardless.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

man I'm not looking forward to Professionalism. Is it also a paid feature, like army drilling? because otherwise it's really going to suck. And I think it's really dumb that Professionalism is lowered by hiring mercenaries and destroying army buildings, because man the ai loves to build Regimental camps. So i'm crossing my fingers here, but fear it's like absolutism. You get the absolutism free, but have to pay for features actually involving it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Atreiden posted:

man I'm not looking forward to Professionalism. Is it also a paid feature, like army drilling? because otherwise it's really going to suck. And I think it's really dumb that Professionalism is lowered by hiring mercenaries and destroying army buildings, because man the ai loves to build Regimental camps. So i'm crossing my fingers here, but fear it's like absolutism. You get the absolutism free, but have to pay for features actually involving it.

Professionalism is a paid feature.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

AnoHito posted:

Professionalism is a paid feature.

Super. As far as I could see in the dev dairy on professionalism, it wasn't mentioned specifically as a paid feature. But I might just have missed it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, you can totally avoid professionalism/drilling by not buying the expansion. Or buying it later when it's discounted to try it out, then just deactivating it, I guess.

EDIT: I don't think they mentioned in the diary if it was a paid feature; I just asked and they told me it was.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Prav posted:

and if you own china and egypt at the same time you're doing p. well regardless.

Hmmm...yeah, that makes much more sense.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Prav posted:

It's also based on single cultures rather than culture groups, the top would be Turkish and Manchu.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Also, I hope the next expansion goes back and enhances a bunch of the generic feudal/republican tiers of government that remain in Europe with cool mechanics and fun stuff like they're doing all around the rest of the world. Catholicism could probably use some more love too.

I'd also like another colonialism DLC. Maybe one focused around playing a colonial nation. Like as soon as one forms you can switch to it (even in ironman) and it has a bunch more cool events/interactions with natives/fun stuff. This DLC could also intro the option to randomize the entire world, instead of just the New World.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Also, I hope the next expansion goes back and enhances a bunch of the generic feudal/republican tiers of government that remain in Europe with cool mechanics and fun stuff like they're doing all around the rest of the world. Catholicism could probably use some more love too.

I'd also like another colonialism DLC. Maybe one focused around playing a colonial nation. Like as soon as one forms you can switch to it (even in ironman) and it has a bunch more cool events/interactions with natives/fun stuff. This DLC could also intro the option to randomize the entire world, instead of just the New World.

I just want a new game that ties all the current mechanisms together, and brings some balance.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

OperaMouse posted:

I just want a new game that ties all the current mechanisms together, and brings some balance.

Well, sure, at this point me too. But barring that.... :lol:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

OperaMouse posted:

This would appear to be like wishing for a golden unicorn that shits ice cream

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It'll probably happen pretty soon, honestly. It's starting to look like they can't really milk the DLC much longer. Third Rome seems to have been pretty unsuccessful, and there's really only so many new mechanics they can add. I'd give it 1-3 DLCs more before they stop development on EU4 and presumably start EU5.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
What makes you say Third Rome was unsuccessful? We don't know the actual sales figures (as far as I know? Paradox games aren't on steamspy), and it hasn't got all that many fewer reviews than the full fledged expansions. Plus they're doubling down on the style of mechanics added. It got review bombed but a lot of that was down to it getting released alongside the whole pricing fiasco thing.

I expect (and hope) they'll start thinking about EU5 before too long but I expect we'll keep seeing expansions for the next couple of years even while it's in development. I think up through Rights of Man, Johan was mentioning that every expansion had more sales than the last one. I know there's a lot of doomsaying on these forums but it's mostly coming from the same half dozen people, I don't think it's all that representative of the general attitudes towards how EU4 is developing.

I do agree the game needs a time out to consolidate poo poo though, it's been nearly a year since we've gotten one of the proper-with-beta-and-everything major balance patches.

nessin posted:

I was listening to a podcast yesterday which mentioned the Imperium mod, which was a surprise to me since for some reason I never thought of EU4 having any big conversion mods other than M&T. Are there any other significant overhaul mods out there worth checking out besides M&T and Imperium?

mine, when i actually release it like 6 months from now or whatever :smug:

e: real answer: there's none that redo the whole map like those, but for big conversion mods with a tighter focus there's Mesoamerica Universalis set entirely in Mesoamerica, Iaponia Universalis set entirely in Japan, and Voltaire's Nightmare set entirely in the HRE. The latter is also being converted into one that covers all of Europe in mega-detail, but I dunno how stable that is yet. Worth keeping an eye on though.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 11, 2017

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Koramei posted:

What makes you say Third Rome was unsuccessful? We don't know the actual sales figures (as far as I know? Paradox games aren't on steamspy)

I think I recall hearing something about a game company asking Steamspy not to publish stats for their games, it doesn't look like that's the case with Paradox games from what I can see

http://steamspy.com/dev/Paradox+Interactive

[edit]If you meant DLC stats then yeah, Steamspy doesn't show you sales for DLC just for the main game

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 11, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I think Paradox asked too, but come to think of it didn't the steamspy dude just decide to publish all the stats anyway? I vaguely remember something like that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Koramei posted:

What makes you say Third Rome was unsuccessful?

I'm basing it mostly on

Paradox, Releasing Third Rome: We're just going to make immersion packs from now on, not the full DLCs.

Paradox, After Releasing Third Rome: Nevermind.

Also the fact that I haven't really seen much enthusiasm for it, even outside of SA. I mean, I skipped it and have no real plans on getting it at least.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Koramei posted:

I expect (and hope) they'll start thinking about EU5 before too long but I expect we'll keep seeing expansions for the next couple of years even while it's in development. I think up through Rights of Man, Johan was mentioning that every expansion had more sales than the last one. I know there's a lot of doomsaying on these forums but it's mostly coming from the same half dozen people, I don't think it's all that representative of the general attitudes towards how EU4 is developing.

We better get Victoria 3 before EU5, or there will be pitchforks! :bahgawd:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Koramei posted:

I think Paradox asked too, but come to think of it didn't the steamspy dude just decide to publish all the stats anyway? I vaguely remember something like that.

Yeah, I think Kerbal Space Program got themselves take down because they were based in Mexico City and were nervous about cartels or corrupt figures moving in on the little company suddenly making bank. It might have happened too, for all we know, sounds like most of the original team quit or left.

Not sure why everything got put back up, but I'm glad they did. Hiding publicly available info for one edge case is fine, hiding it so potential Paradox investors couldn't see it... not cool

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Rapner posted:

We better get EU: Rome 2 before EU5, or there will be pitchforks! :bahgawd:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

AnoHito posted:

I'm basing it mostly on

Paradox, Releasing Third Rome: We're just going to make immersion packs from now on, not the full DLCs.

Paradox, After Releasing Third Rome: Nevermind.

Also the fact that I haven't really seen much enthusiasm for it, even outside of SA. I mean, I skipped it and have no real plans on getting it at least.

From what's been shown, it seems like Cradle is just a bigger immersion pack? Like it's got the same "add a gov button" as Third Rome, except instead of just Orthodox and EE it's a bigger area.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
I feel like I'm a decent western civ buff. Of all the pictures of rulers in the loading screen, the only one I do not know who it is, is the dutch guy, wind mills in the background. Anyone know who he is?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Uziduke posted:

I feel like I'm a decent western civ buff. Of all the pictures of rulers in the loading screen, the only one I do not know who it is, is the dutch guy, wind mills in the background. Anyone know who he is?

i assume you mean Maurice of Orange https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice,_Prince_of_Orange

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

AnoHito posted:

I don't remember us saying anything like that on EU4?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Third Rome might have still sold ok, I mean I did buy it too, because I had the tendency to buy all the DLC. But at this point the game just doesn't hold it together anymore so buying any DLC that doesn't come with a clean up is a waste of money.

I've come to the realization that Paradox is not so different from other companies anymore, just instead of releasing a broken game and not supporting it then shifting to the sequel, they release broken DLC and don't support it properly, while shifting to the next DLC. Part of this problem is money. They can't fix the interaction between all the systems because they need to work on their own, because they are all independent paid features.

Can you imagine the outcry if they'd suddenly sell all the old DLC in a single cheap pack or made those features free? Access or cheap access to all those features is kind of a requirement to make a clean up patch viable. At which point it will make more sense financially to just sell EU5.

I understand Paradox needs to make money because devs like to eat and pay their rent, but the current system isn't working anymore for me. And it looks like I am not alone with this.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Actually one of the common criticisms is that Paradox doesn't ever bundle their DLCs. And I doubt many players would complain if you made any of the DLC free

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tahirovic posted:

Can you imagine the outcry if they'd suddenly sell all the old DLC in a single cheap pack or made those features free? Access or cheap access to all those features is kind of a requirement to make a clean up patch viable. At which point it will make more sense financially to just sell EU5.

There wouldn't be an outcry. It's easy to imagine it's like that, but in truth it is not. This happens a lot with other games, like MMOs, where updates change the meta and render earlier content less useful or obsolete. Eventually there's so much content to go through to reach the new endgame that, if new players wanted to get there, they'd have to put in as much time as the old guard and that's simply not feasible. So what happens is that changes are introduced such as to allow new players to catch up, such as increased experience gain, making old rare things more common, making older DLC part of the base game and such.

Now this isn't a perfect analogy but there's one thing in common: the older players paid for things and had to put more effort in them than new players. But you'll rarely see people complain that this is unfair. Essentially what happens is, when you are buying a piece of DLC you aren't just buying access to the new content, instead you are buying the ability to access that content before it becomes freely available. So if Paradox declared that with Cradle of Civilisation they were going to integrate all DLC up to and including Art of War in the base game would I feel like my purchase has lost its value? Not really, I've played tons of games with those DLC and gotten my value's worth already. The only person that could seriously make that kind of argument would be someone that bought the DLC but didn't play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I think the concern that Tahirovic is that the whales and crybabies on the Paradox forums would bitch simply because they bitch about everything. Otherwise I completely agree with you.

• Locked thread