Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

These are really cool. I want more Doctor Who design by telephone.

I have a soft spot for the covers of the two Finnish Pertwee novelisation translations from the mid-70s, The Auton Invasion and The Cave Monsters:

The translations themselves are really interesting, too - no one had seen a second of DW this side of the Baltic Sea at that point, and the books are translated as one-and-done children's books with no knowledge of the show at large. And those Silurian designs are still better than the New Series ones.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Burkion posted:

Please tell me more images from that exist

Dalek sempai has noticed you!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

These are all so awesome. The next time they reboot anything, they should have someone novelize it and send it to someone who has never seen it before to adapt it visually.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I loving love all of these

They honestly didn't do that bad a job either, and their idea for the inside of the TARDIS is pretty cool

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Forktoss posted:

I have a soft spot for the covers of the two Finnish Pertwee novelisation translations from the mid-70s, The Auton Invasion and The Cave Monsters:

The translations themselves are really interesting, too - no one had seen a second of DW this side of the Baltic Sea at that point, and the books are translated as one-and-done children's books with no knowledge of the show at large. And those Silurian designs are still better than the New Series ones.

They remind me a bit of the Drashig, a tad.

Anyway, I found the rest of the images, and the middle ones from the ones I couldn't in my last post:
Autons:

Silurians:

The Master:

Revenge of the kawaii Dalek-chans:

Also found a blog listing the translation differences of the Dalek story, and a short animation someone made of those adorable daleks. :allears:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 8, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pretty sure that insane vehicle Three is driving in all those illustrations is because Terrence Dicks so disapproved of Bessy that in the novelization, he had the Doctor driving around on some kind of wacky moped, but I might be thinking of a later serial and the Whomobile. I guess the latter probably makes more sense given that Pertwee basically just showed up with a weird vanity car and said "I'm going to drive this in the show."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Those Daleks are actually Regice. It's science.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

Pretty sure that insane vehicle Three is driving in all those illustrations is because Terrence Dicks so disapproved of Bessy that in the novelization, he had the Doctor driving around on some kind of wacky moped, but I might be thinking of a later serial and the Whomobile. I guess the latter probably makes more sense given that Pertwee basically just showed up with a weird vanity car and said "I'm going to drive this in the show."

Nah, he drove it in Day of the Daleks when he was in the future.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

He was my first Doctor, so I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for his era. It doesn't hurt that a lot of his era loving ruled too!

Yeah there were too many 6-parters (and at least one 8-parter from memory?) and if you watch them back-to-back the plotting issues and recycled scenarios become more obvious, but it's still a really charming and fun time in the show's history.

CobiWann posted:

Inferno was seven, can't recall an eight.

All except Spearhead were 7 episodes from that series, no 8s.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
There are certainly a few Pertwees which feel like 8 episodes, though

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

sinepost posted:

There are certainly a few Pertwees which feel like 8 episodes, though

Planet of the Spiders feels like about twelve.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hot take: The War Games is 4 episodes too long.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

He was my first Doctor, so I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for his era. It doesn't hurt that a lot of his era loving ruled too!

Yeah there were too many 6-parters (and at least one 8-parter from memory?) and if you watch them back-to-back the plotting issues and recycled scenarios become more obvious, but it's still a really charming and fun time in the show's history.

You act like there is a serial that was two to three episodes of him being captured and then escaping on repeat

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A lot of the sixers during the Pertwee era could definitely have been 4 or 5. The Time Monster is a prime candidate. The Mind of Evil, the Ambassadors

TWANG!

...of Death, The Silurians, The Sea Devils.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The big finish app got a pretty major update today. While it adds the (in my opinion) rear end ugly iOS 11 headers, it also adds a details tab to every entry in your Library. Plot synopsis, cast list, covers for each story in a box set, etc.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Does anybody know if Big Finish will add Humble Bundle purchases to your account if you provide proof?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Does anybody know if Big Finish will add Humble Bundle purchases to your account if you provide proof?

You can try, but it seems not.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

Like all hot takes this is a bad opinion

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Carnival of Monsters is loving great. I know the costumes are goofy, I don't care. It manages to cram three or four Doctor Who stories into a four parter without ever making it feel like it's got Nation's "script put together entirely from half-baked fragments" syndrome.

Also, I'm finally trying Britbox because I figure, as long as I'm doing a rewatch of Doctor Who, it's worth the seven bucks to stop fighting with my casting, or fiddling with HDMI cords and having the color come through weirdly. At most, it'll take me a couple of months to get through it and then I can just cancel. So far, it's getting along pretty well with the Chromecast, although the set up is is bit counter-intuitive.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

Everybody is entitled to their opinion but when the Daleks invade I'm selling you out to them and I'm not even gonna ask for a sack of food for my troubles :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's some speculation/rumours about season 11 reported in RT.

In summary:

* 10 episodes in the season instead of 12-13.

* But they'd be a full hour each instead of 45 minutes.

* Revamped TARDIS interior and exterior plus new sonic screwdriver design.

* More adventures in history.

Interesting if any of it turns out to be true.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

egon_beeblebrox posted:

They will not, I have tried

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

In summary:

Interesting, if you take 15 minutes from each hour ep that would be 3 extra eps.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think a number of episodes in season 10 were getting close to an hour more often than not anyway.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Uhhhh I guess they've got Tom and Lalla back to record voices for an animated version of Shada...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67qiRyJ35nw

I wonder how mad Ian Levine is right now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Tomtrek posted:

Uhhhh I guess they've got Tom and Lalla back to record voices for an animated version of Shada...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67qiRyJ35nw

I wonder how mad Ian Levine is right now.

This mad:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/09/doctor-who-shada-missing-douglas-adams-story-recreated-feature-length-animation/

He's such a child

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Now the question is, does this version still exist in canon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT8K5Uqc8Wc

I love the little City of Death 'Running in Paris' sting when he mentions the Mona Lisa. :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Now the question is, does this version still exist in canon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT8K5Uqc8Wc

I love the little City of Death 'Running in Paris' sting when he mentions the Mona Lisa. :allears:

Yes. Because the 4th Doctor and Romana had the Shada adventure. Then in the future, Borusa pulls them out so they don't have the adventure, so 8 goes and gets Romana so they can make sure that the mission gets completed.

Simple.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Oh great, let's remake Shada for the 10th time! :jerkbag:

Wheat Loaf posted:

In summary:

New TARDIS designs and sonic screwdriver is hardly surprising. Not sure I'm happy about 10 episodes though. I'd rather see more stories, even if some are clunkers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm always wrong on when rumors are right or not, but I don't think they even start filming season 11 until January, so I'm going to wait until then to pay any attention to speculation. Leaks get way more likely once filming starts. The 10 episodes thing was something that was attached to (almost) demonstrably false rumors from before, and it smacks of that "easily believable, has exact numbers tied to it, and has some givens tacked on to give it more credibility" that comes with any good lie.

Astroman posted:

Eh, at least this one has Drunk Uncle T-Bakes, and it's not like it's sucking resources away from anything else. I think the Eight audio is all I really need, but I think there is a reason people are obsessed with both Shada and the unproduced scripts from the scrapped Six season.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Shada's not even that great. They should animate a Big Finish instead, see what people think of that

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

corn in the bible posted:

Shada's not even that great. They should animate a Big Finish instead, see what people think of that

Only if they edit none of the audio and just have everybody be very verbose and descriptive about what the audience can clearly see.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Make Scherzo :stare:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Make that bad one about hell that you guys keep freaking out over that I will never ever listen to

I think the Brigadier was in it too

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Animated Natural History of Fear or gtfo.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Pro tier: animated Home Truths without immediately giving away the ending

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Should've done Spare Parts to strike while the Mondasian iron was hot.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Should've done Spare Parts to strike while the Mondasian iron was hot.

The more I think about it the more this metaphor horrifies me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

The more I think about it the more this metaphor horrifies me.

code:
We doooooo not underzzzzztand thizzzz "horror" you speak of.  It wazzzzz.... re-mooooved from uzzzz.  We will.  re-moooove it. from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

I'd imagine it has mostly to do with who wrote it and (more timely) its connection to the first Dirk Gently book. I still blow general SF fans' minds when I tell them Adams was involved with the series. (To be fair, this is in the US where I have trouble convincing people that the novels were not the original incarnation, and that saying you "don't buy" Simon Jones as Arthur Dent is like saying you don't buy William Shatner as Captain Kirk.)

Also, BF getting Tom and Lalla Ward to work together probably has a lot to do with it.

Now if they really cared, they'd put "City of Death" back into print in the Region 1. :negative:

• Locked thread