Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm so happy that in 2017 a game can still be controversial for looking inviting but being a mechanically demanding experience. Maybe Vibeo James aren't dead after all.

I want to buy this on Steam, anyone having any Pc issues with it?

It can apparently sometimes crash on the opening screen, but that's pretty much it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Word all I've seen is that and the Alt-Tab//Autosave bug, so here we go!!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Managed to P-rank all Run & Gun levels. Decided to try out my fancy new black and white filter by doing the most logical thing and going off to fight King Dice with it. As expected it's now impossible to tell what parryable objects are, though in both the Rabbit and King Dice itself, hearts are always parryable. Not to mention you can cheese the KinG Dice phase by simply hiding BEHIND his hand and making sure to alternate sides of the screen.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

fadam posted:

What was everyone's favorite boss? Visually my favorite is either the frogs or the cigar, but to actually play I really liked the train and the mouse.

The robot is by far and away my least favorite boss in the game. I hate that guy.

Visually my favorite is easily the dragon. I love his animations and his design, his face especially. I love the animation that he starts the fight with with the finger waggle, and I love his phase 3 animation where the three heads keep rotating in a circle. The devil's second phase is also amazing. Love the design, love the animation when he turns his head to release those flying bombs. It's so good. But there's also just a billion other little animation touches on all the bosses that are just wonderful. The mermaid's dance when she transforms, the rat's saluting and turning animation, Sally Stageplay going YOU and pointing in the second phase, the animation of the clown jumping into his car at the start, the death animation of the bird, etc. The robot also had some amazing animations

My favorite boss to fight was maybe the candy princess? I absolutely loved that fight, I really liked the bird as well. I would've liked the train more except the weird third phase feels not nearly as solid as the other three.

edit: Also I watched a streamer fight the devil: I had NO IDEA you could kill his two big winged minions on the left and right that shoot the skulls during the third phase. That would've made the fight SO MUCH easier

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 8, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

AceOfFlames posted:

Managed to P-rank all Run & Gun levels. Decided to try out my fancy new black and white filter by doing the most logical thing and going off to fight King Dice with it. As expected it's now impossible to tell what parryable objects are, though in both the Rabbit and King Dice itself, hearts are always parryable. Not to mention you can cheese the KinG Dice phase by simply hiding BEHIND his hand and making sure to alternate sides of the screen.

It's the same with the 2-tone filter. Parriable objects are just plain red

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So can anyone confirm being able to S rank without the time bonus? I've seen a few videos where the person got S and A+ without meeting par.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Time seems to count as less than one "mistake" so if the time bonus is the only thing you're lacking you still get the rank you're after as far as I can tell

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I just wanted to say gently caress king dice and his endless loving stage.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ditty bout my clitty posted:

don't mess with him

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Oxxidation posted:

don't mess with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj4nJ1YEAp4

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Didn't see it mentioned but figured I'd post it here;

Charger is getting a hefty nerf and bug patches are on the way Source

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Everyone who beat the game with charge, your win is now invalid. Go back and do everything again!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Charger is getting a hefty nerf

noooooooooooo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Everyone who beat the game with charge, your win is now invalid. Go back and do everything again!

Besides 3 specific boss phases, I never used anything but the default weapon :smug:

I actually did try and see if I could make use of the charge shot on the last fight, but I couldn't focus on the mechanics and movement and also charge my shot at the same time. Kudos to people that can make that weapon work. The default just always felt the most right to me

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I wonder if they're gonna somehow hinder using weapon switching to boost your damage. I imagine they will since it's much stronger than using Charge.

Oh also what a waste, not calling this patch a cupdate

Nina fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 8, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I've heard people say the Devil is not that tough compared to King Dice but I'm having a lot of trouble with him, whereas the miniboss rush wasn't such a big deal for me. Sometimes in phase 1 you get a lucky break and he pulls a bunch of easy moves, like the spider head or the bouncy balls, but sometimes he'll do the loving will o' wisp move and then throw an arm slap right after that, or a Chinese dragon move just when a demon is about to enter the wrong side of the screen, he's a bit random. The spinning will o' wisp move is definitely the hardest to deal with and I don't have a good answer to it yet. Phase 2 is pretty easy to nuke down with a super and point blank spreadshots, haven't gotten past phase 3 yet.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

My take is that everyone who says King Dice is harder probably didn't pay attention to the dice rolls. And after a few runs you can start going for the minibosses that are easier for you anyway when you realize the bosses are fixed based on the panel you land on

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Nina posted:

My take is that everyone who says King Dice is harder probably didn't pay attention to the dice rolls. And after a few runs you can start going for the minibosses that are easier for you anyway when you realize the bosses are fixed based on the panel you land on

Not to mention that you can also get bonus HP for landing on certain squares

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Chinese dragon from the right is bugged, right? I get hit no matter how much I hug the left wall, doesn't happen on the other side. Even if I inviso-dash during the window where it happens, I still get hit somehow.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Shibawanko posted:

The Chinese dragon from the right is bugged, right? I get hit no matter how much I hug the left wall, doesn't happen on the other side. Even if I inviso-dash during the window where it happens, I still get hit somehow.

Are you sure you didn't get hit by one of the imps running in? The safest way to dodge that is to duck just behind where Devil's head will be at the full length and shoot any imps from that position. The Devil won't hit you when he reels back even though the animation looks like it would

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah the devil has a really bizarre hitbox sometimes. You can use this to your advantage by firing shots to the left when he transitions to the next phase, it'll do damage even though he's not on screen.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nina posted:

Are you sure you didn't get hit by one of the imps running in? The safest way to dodge that is to duck just behind where Devil's head will be at the full length and shoot any imps from that position. The Devil won't hit you when he reels back even though the animation looks like it would

Naw there's definitely a bug where you get hit in that specific spot for some reason by nothing. It's not the devil hitting you somehow and it's not one of the minions

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nina posted:

That works perfectly, thanks!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Shibawanko posted:

I've heard people say the Devil is not that tough compared to King Dice but I'm having a lot of trouble with him, whereas the miniboss rush wasn't such a big deal for me. Sometimes in phase 1 you get a lucky break and he pulls a bunch of easy moves, like the spider head or the bouncy balls, but sometimes he'll do the loving will o' wisp move and then throw an arm slap right after that, or a Chinese dragon move just when a demon is about to enter the wrong side of the screen, he's a bit random. The spinning will o' wisp move is definitely the hardest to deal with and I don't have a good answer to it yet. Phase 2 is pretty easy to nuke down with a super and point blank spreadshots, haven't gotten past phase 3 yet.
Devil tip: Duck the goat arms. Save the super for when the flying fatties spawn in phase 3, you can kill both of them in one go.

I wouldn't be surprised if they added a lag to weapon swapping, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't that's really something only speedrunners do so who cares.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If they are doing a balance patch it would be pointless to nerf charger but not the weapon swap when that glitch has higher DPS.

Of course, this is gonna result in speedrunners just running the first patch of the game because they are difficult like that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Naw there's definitely a bug where you get hit in that specific spot for some reason by nothing. It's not the devil hitting you somehow and it's not one of the minions

I bet it's the fire that closes in after the first phase, sitting slightly too close to the play area in its initial state.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It's a really strong technique. I'll have to adjust my play if it goes but it won't cripple me because honestly beating the bosses really fast isn't usually the best strategy if you want decent ranks esp because time is the least important factor

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

repiv posted:

I bet it's the fire that closes in after the first phase, sitting slightly too close to the play area in its initial state.

Maybe but you don't get hit from simply being over there. It only happens when the devil pulls his snake head back.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Beat it. Finally. Never switched from the first super move except when fighting the ghost dad train

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invincibility has some great uses but I really wish the big buff stand ghost Cuphead was more useful because it looks so cool

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I used the ghost for King Dice alone. It's nice because you get plenty of time to home in on his head between cards.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Macaluso posted:

Maybe but you don't get hit from simply being over there. It only happens when the devil pulls his snake head back.

I'm 100% convinced you're right about this. Crouching and facing the left when the snake head pull back can do damage, without any imps coming from that direction.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Games good

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cronodoculous posted:

Yeah the devil has a really bizarre hitbox sometimes. You can use this to your advantage by firing shots to the left when he transitions to the next phase, it'll do damage even though he's not on screen.

The Devil is really glitchy, that glitch you're talking about seems to occur after he does the Goat Arm attack. Here's the thing though, after that attack his Hitbox is always offscreen to the left. Meaning that once he does that attack, you can just continuously fire to the left and do damage. Funny enough you can break the game because as he's transitioning if you do enough damage to him when you fall down the hole the camera won't follow you down and the fight will never continue.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm getting a weird bug with King Dice. None of the second set of bosses (4-6) show up.

Boss 4, the domino one, you can actually see below the screen, but there's no way for me to hit him so no matter which boss I go to I can't progress.

Also the first set of bosses (1-3) have really low health and don't do any attacks.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I restarted the game and it's fixed.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Friend just sent me a link with "wow thats a obscure reference" and I'm not even sure how to react honestly

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I restarted the game and it's fixed.

Yeah I guess the game starts to have some weird issues like that when it's been on for too long. I never experienced bugs like these beyond the ones that are consistent with everyone, since I always took breaks in between bosses so I wouldn't get too tilted.

I find it interesting that a lot of these bosses are separate from things that should be just part of their animation. Like the horse skeleton not being a part of his flying disc is strange to me

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm enjoying this game but is there any particular trick to dodging Djimmi's junk collection or should I just take it as a sign to restart the battle until he throws literally anything else at me?

EDIT: Whoo, got him. Back to the lamp you go buddy.

Also it took me way too long to realize the smoke he blows at the beginning of the fight is harmless.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Managed to P-rank Perilous Piers. I never wanna do that again

• Locked thread