Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ryobi have an 18v sds drill I'd love to try out but I don't drill enough holes to justify buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

AVE tore into a pretty damned nice looking Harbor Freight 20v 1/2" impact yesterday.

I may look for a deal on one of those, perhaps instead of a 1/2" medium DeWalt. :ohdear:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
It would be good for any goons to site where generics come from (like HB)if they know :D So I can look up things in AU.
I have to move soon so most likely will have to let my air compressor go, so I'm looking at changing from air impact to battery, but of course there's no HB here.

Sometimes our cheap stores score a huge goal in quality due to buying from the same Chinese factory, ie I've got some good gear from our national hardware store (Bunnings - their home brand is 'ozito' and some of the stuff was awesome, but they have downgraded quality to make cheaper) and some from our national auto accessories store (supercheap - they pimp 'rockwell' brand these days but also sell stanley ). Both have had many worthless items too, it's a bit of a gamble. The ozito sanders, screwdriver and rotary hammer from bunnings will outlive me. But I remember when I pimped the old ozito battery screwdriver pics in a fridgie forum, someone from the UK recognized it's design and was able to find it under a UK cheapy brand.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 1, 2017

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

What's a good saw blade for a chop saw?
I just found a DeWalt 12" chop saw in a dumpster with no blade it works perfectly fibe other than the handle being a little loose.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I'd like to get a cordless ratchet. I used to have some Skil one back in the day that worked ok until it stopped charging. All my other cordless tools are Ryobi but it doesn't look like they make one. Any recommendations?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

AVE tore into a pretty damned nice looking Harbor Freight 20v 1/2" impact yesterday.

I may look for a deal on one of those, perhaps instead of a 1/2" medium DeWalt. :ohdear:

I think everybody here would have a hard time recommending the HF. They haven't been around long enough to prove whether or not they're good. Besides that, there isn't the ecosystem in place that the pro-grade brands do.

Personally, I just bought the Milwaukee 2860 1/2" Mid Torque wrench. I know their tools are more expensive, but I like knowing that it's going to do what I want it to do. There's also a ton of tools that run on the same battery. If you're OK with eBay, you can definitely find good deals on them too.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I wouldn't trust HF's batteries.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

nitsuga posted:

I think everybody here would have a hard time recommending the HF. They haven't been around long enough to prove whether or not they're good. Besides that, there isn't the ecosystem in place that the pro-grade brands do.

Personally, I just bought the Milwaukee 2860 1/2" Mid Torque wrench. I know their tools are more expensive, but I like knowing that it's going to do what I want it to do. There's also a ton of tools that run on the same battery. If you're OK with eBay, you can definitely find good deals on them too.

Nice, I think you'll be ready happy with it. The tough part now is not picking up bare tools when they come on sale.

Right now the issue with HFs new upper tier power tool line is that you can get a DeWalt for a little more money, and buy something that has a good reputation, QC, and ecosystem.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I'd like to get a cordless ratchet. I used to have some Skil one back in the day that worked ok until it stopped charging. All my other cordless tools are Ryobi but it doesn't look like they make one. Any recommendations?

I really like my Milwaukee 3/8 cordless ratchet, the speed and size helps a lot for situations like oil pans and diff covers, etc. It's a bit lacking in power but the new Fuel models are coming out soon.

The new HF cordless ratchet is worth a look too if you're ok with being a guinea pig, lots of power for cheap.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

angryrobots posted:

It's not terrible, but I'd be afraid 2Ah batteries are pretty puny. My kit came with 3Ah batteries and the 5Ah knock-off I bought from Amazon is noticeably more long lasting.

I must not work my tools too hard (heh) but I rarely have any job that requires me to recharge my compact M18 batteries or standard M12 batteries. They also recharge super quickly.

Ferremit posted:

And if you havent tried pruning blades in a recip saw yet, my GOD they're good. I take mine camping now and they'll happily chew their way through 10" diameter logs without flinching.

Link to some good ones? Milwaukee's torch blades impressed me when cutting out bushing shells.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I must not work my tools too hard (heh) but I rarely have any job that requires me to recharge my compact M18 batteries or standard M12 batteries. They also recharge super quickly.

They're only 2Ah? I agree, I have no issues with runtime with the 3Ah batteries, but I don't think I'd want less than that.

I mean you'll run an impact all day but once you pick up any kind of saw the difference is notable. They do charge very quickly though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

angryrobots posted:

It's not terrible, but I'd be afraid 2Ah batteries are pretty puny. My kit came with 3Ah batteries and the 5Ah knock-off I bought from Amazon is noticeably more long lasting.

I think if you can wait for black Friday you can probably get a better deal.

If it makes any difference to you - you mentioned the big carrying bag being a selling point for you. I've never used mine and you can have it for the cost of shipping if that helps at all.

Yeah I decided to take a pass on that deal after I realized how small the batteries are. Nice for weight's sake, but having to constantly have one charging nearby for the sake of runtime means I might as well just have a corded drill and extension cord.
I've used that same drill combo before and the batteries are just okay. But when you're running cable and you're up on a scissor lift or hanging from the rafters and your battery dies as you're trying to secure a cable tray or something heavy, it's really not a good time.
The hammer drill burns through batteries pretty quickly too.

I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled and see what Black Friday brings.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 1, 2017

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Anyone have any experience with Astro Pneumatic pop riveters? I need one to reinstall the bumper on one of my cars and it seems like they occupy a good price/performance sweet spot.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

zundfolge posted:

Anyone have any experience with Astro Pneumatic pop riveters? I need one to reinstall the bumper on one of my cars and it seems like they occupy a good price/performance sweet spot.

are you asking about astro pop riveter? i have the 30 dollar one that does up to 1/4" pop rivets and it seemed fine for the 2 rivets i've used it for so far.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Yeah, something like this one. I need to use it to install a bunch of rivets so I don't want one that's going to jam up a lot, which seems to be a common complaint with cheaper/smaller ones.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zundfolge posted:

Yeah, something like this one. I need to use it to install a bunch of rivets so I don't want one that's going to jam up a lot, which seems to be a common complaint with cheaper/smaller ones.

I have an AP 1426 and it works fine. It's awkward, can't get in small spots, and requires gravity for the rivet shaft to drop into the catch bottle, but it does work. I wouldn't use it for smaller rivets where a hand riveter would do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got their rivnut installer in that same style. Works great.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Has Harbor Freight stopped selling kit trailers entirely? I don't see any on the site anymore. The folding 4x8 owned.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
They seem to have them in the stores but I don't see them on the website.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Does anyone have a recommendation for a weight scale for general purpose garage stuff? I have been stealing the kitchen scale, but it kinds of sucks at measuring anything that doesn't fit directly in the center, and the bathroom scale is too inaccurate.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Minimum and maximum weight? Resolution? Hanging or platform?

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Something like 1 ounce resolution, 1-100lbs. I'm not sure what type I'm going to buy, just wondering what other people have found most useful to have in the garage. I have mostly needed one for measuring grass seed, fertilizer, and UPS packages lately.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hmm, I'd say buy a generic "postal scale" on Ebay or somewhere for that. I have a digital scale that I can hang from a hoist etc for weighing big stuff like engines, and I use a kitchen scale for small stuff, but I don't need it to be that accurate. If I were weighing components and the like, I'd probably get myself a "proper" scale for doing that.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I needed some more air fittings and while looking around I noticed that type V 'high flow' fittings exist so I ordered some. They're definitely much less restrictive than type A or M fittings and in fact the type M fittings can fit inside the type Vs. The milton color coded type Vs are also purple which is pretty boss.

The only trade off seems to be that the wall thickness is much smaller and they feel a lot lighter so probably not as durable.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

lwoodio posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a weight scale for general purpose garage stuff? I have been stealing the kitchen scale, but it kinds of sucks at measuring anything that doesn't fit directly in the center, and the bathroom scale is too inaccurate.

If you're weighing something that can have a rope tied around it or can be hooked onto you might look into a luggage scale. Typically they're good up to 100-120 pounds and are accurate to +/- 1/10th of a pound.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

lwoodio posted:

I have had this model for many years and its been just dandy:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultraship-Electronic-Digital-Shipping-Kitchen/dp/B000JQTVLY

e:
For higher precision, lower weight stuff (up to 5.5kg, 0.1g resolution), I use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/My-Weigh-iBalance-Table-Precision/dp/B004C3EGBA

And for even higher precision, lower weight (up to 100g, 0.01g resolution) this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012LOQUQ

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 8, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Going to bleed my brakes this week. Any recommendations on wrenches to use to open the bleeder valves? I've got lots of regular wrenches and sockets, but if there's a line wrench or something that'll help I'd like to know.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

QuarkMartial posted:

Going to bleed my brakes this week. Any recommendations on wrenches to use to open the bleeder valves? I've got lots of regular wrenches and sockets, but if there's a line wrench or something that'll help I'd like to know.

A regular box-end wrench is all you need for bleeders. Flare wrenches are what you want for actually replacing lines, but that shouldn't be necessary for bleeding.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep, just a regular box wrench since you can take it off over the bleeder. The only reason flare nut wrenches are a thing is because regular open wrenches will round flare nuts, so the opening is reduced to just the minimum to pass over the hard line.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

IOwnCalculus posted:

Link to some good ones? Milwaukee's torch blades impressed me when cutting out bushing shells.

http://www.diablotools.com//products?c=Reciprocating_Blades&material=Pruning

As per usual, Diablo's blades are pro grade. I've used em to cut up 100yr old railway sleepers and they're still sharp as poo poo afterwards and keep on trucking. You'd be lucky to cut up a single sleeper into foot long lengths with a chainsaw before having to sharpen them again

Milwaukee also have em, but i've never tried theirs before.

https://www.milwaukeetools.com.au/accessories/cutting/48001301

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ferremit posted:

http://www.diablotools.com//products?c=Reciprocating_Blades&material=Pruning

As per usual, Diablo's blades are pro grade. I've used em to cut up 100yr old railway sleepers and they're still sharp as poo poo afterwards and keep on trucking. You'd be lucky to cut up a single sleeper into foot long lengths with a chainsaw before having to sharpen them again

Milwaukee also have em, but i've never tried theirs before.

https://www.milwaukeetools.com.au/accessories/cutting/48001301

I'll echo this. I have a cheap HF recip saw with diablo blades and it amazes me how good it is for such a cheap tool.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

QuarkMartial posted:

I usually get things started with a 6-point socket just to crack it loose before I switch to my box wrench.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Cat Hatter posted:

I usually get things started with a 6-point socket just to crack it loose before I switch to my box wrench.

I find this also reduces the "god dammit why is this fucker so stuck" when you're cranking the wrong direction on the box wrench. :downs:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah going to third "if you have the room toss a 6pt socket on it".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Always wire brush bleed nipples and dose them with some penetrating oil before even looking at them funny.

I always use a ring spanner for bleeding, as it just sits there and acts as an open/close lever as required. For line wrenches, even when they're the right tool for the job, I prefer to use a crow's foot wrench unless something's 100%, definitely, loosened off a bit. They're stiffer and don't flex off the fittings anywhere near as easily.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Cool! Saves me some money, then. Brakes are acting funny, vibrating like the ABS is going off, so I'm going to swap out the 245k mile brake fluid first.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Protip, if you have a stripped bleeder valve, this thing is an amazing last resort for when nothing else will work:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SBBD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_K6G3zbYVSN08H

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

OSU_Matthew posted:

Protip, if you have a stripped bleeder valve, this thing is an amazing last resort for when nothing else will work:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SBBD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_K6G3zbYVSN08H

I'm pretty sure "last resort" is an oversized nut and a mig welder.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I just throw the caliper or wheel cylinder in the trash can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's the CSB of nutfuckers.