Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

food court bailiff posted:

i'll say it then: OoT is bad.

the gameplay and level design is very mediocre for the most part and it's all presented with absolutely garbage muddy textures and insanely repetitive music loops. like, presentation isn't everything, but i really feel like in OoT's case it genuinely hurts the experience, especially when you (tw: console wars) compare it to its contemporaries on the PSone that were finally starting to utilize the massive space of CD-ROMs

even the updated 3ds version with a bunch of mildly updated graphics and QoL improvements is just...not that good, and that's literally in comparison to other handheld games at that point

That sounds pretty good for a nintendo 64 game. The hardware does matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BotW and WW are better yeah but LttP is at least tied for third with Link's Awakening

Oh yeah, WW's big empty sea of nothing is truly the pinnacle of zelda games. The musical baton is also an inspired piece of game design, I wonder where they got that idea.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Oh yeah, WW's big empty sea of nothing is truly the pinnacle of zelda games.

I enjoyed sailing around but I know im in the minority on that one

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Meme Emulator posted:

That sounds pretty good for a nintendo 64 game. The hardware does matter

my friend, you are conflating a reasonable cause with a reasonable excuse

plenty of 64 games managed to be fun and not look or sound nearly as rear end as OoT. in fact up until the n64 or so games were more defined by hardware limitations than designer ambitions. having lousy hardware (and boy is the 64 ever a piece of poo poo in terms of memory) does not actually excuse making lousy games for that hardware.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I think Monkey Island must be one of those nostalgia things, like Transformers and He-Man. In the way that, if you weren't there the first time around, it just isn't gonna be that great.

I mean, it was ok. But people talked it up to me like it was gonna be the next side-splitting comedy game to play. And yeah, I laughed a few times. But I mostly chuckled here and there. At the end I felt my time and money would have been better spent watching cartoons on Netflix.

People playing video games back then expected something different from modern vidya players.

Not to say that anyones opinion in this situation is wrong. Just throwin' that out there.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Popular Video Game Opinion: OoT was a masterpiece in its day for MANY reasons that modern day gamers might not understand because kids today. Gloomy textures in the forest temple never bothered me and there was definitely a limit on what the hardware was capable of.

The graphics in Majora's Mask looked better but you also had to buy the N64 expansion pack to process it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Breath of the Wild's Master Sword, ability timers, and combat lock-on mechanics are horrifically implemented and as a result the game is worse. Yes please, give my abilities 3 charges and don't even begin to start the cooldown timer until the last one is used, which gives me incentive to, if I use just one charge, fire the others off randomly in the wilderness to artificially start the cooldown timers so I'll have all my charges later "when I need them." Great thinking there.

Same for the Master Sword. Yes I'd love a mechanic that puts me in the situation where I can use the sword for a while until it gets down to one hit until the warning light but I have no idea, so I start big fights with my main sword almost broken and don't find out until it's too late. The solution of which is that, if I've used the sword at all, I have to now go bang it on a wall until it breaks and then wait 10 minutes for it to recharge.

For ability charges, each of the 3 uses should have its own completely independent 10-minute cooldown period. That way I still can only fire them off at a max average of one per 3.33 minutes like the base game allows, but now I don't have to artificially blow them away then wait 10 minutes when I want to "prep" for an upcoming fight. For the master sword, just make the goddamn thing regen its health on a percentage-per-second rate over time please.

And finally, nah, nobody wants to be able to use the left trigger to lock onto enemies, then the right stick to switch between multiple ones.
Instead it's obviously better to have to hold down the trigger to lock onto an enemy and have zero ability to quick-swap your lock-on to another enemy, but instead you have to release and re-press the trigger to hopefully lock onto your preferred enemy.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 8, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i've not played it. because i refused to buy a console ever again once i realized i enjoyed games more on my pc, and the pc was way less vulnerable to a rather expensive console cycle that used to actually matter and make a bit on sense, but now just exists because selling new hardware every few years is essential to the business plans and identity of these companies.

but breath of the wild looks like nintendo looked at open ended rpgs like the witcher 3 and learned all the wrong lessons.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Witcher 3 learned just about all the wrong lessons itself, so that would make sense

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

Witcher 3 learned just about all the wrong lessons itself, so that would make sense

lol

you are the guy who implied fallout 4 was "good"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Breath of the Wild looks like it is shot through the eyes of somebody with severe cataracts, who is also submerged in a scummy fish pond.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

basic hitler posted:

i've not played it. because i refused to buy a console ever again once i realized i enjoyed games more on my pc, and the pc was way less vulnerable to a rather expensive console cycle that used to actually matter and make a bit on sense, but now just exists because selling new hardware every few years is essential to the business plans and identity of these companies.

but breath of the wild looks like nintendo looked at open ended rpgs like the witcher 3 and learned all the wrong lessons.

To be fair, if the issues I just mentioned with breath of the wild were fixed, the game would be a game for the ages. Overall it really is pretty fantastic, which makes the flaws I mentioned stick out so much.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the game trading it's Metroid-style roots of slowly giving you more items and tools that unlock more and more of the world for the new philosophy of "we'll give you like 4 tools at the beginning of the game and unlock the whole thing for you at the start" though. I suppose both have their benefits.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 8, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

2house2fly posted:

I try not to judge people based on cryptic shitposts, especially when i can't instantly recall a previous post of theirs, but you're a huge retard aren't you? Is that guy right? do you think Fallout 4 is good? You enjoy Hi-rez skinner boxes with dank laser guns?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i cannot verify if this is true because for all the poo poo Bethesda gets for making buggy pieces of crap I have legal cd-roms of gothic 2 and 3 that seem to install okay but don't accept any KB or mouse input at all when the game loads, great experience 10/10, would stare at a wall again

odd, gothic 2 works fine but yeah gothic 3 is notoriously broken because jowood wanted to beat oblivion to the market apparently and shoved out a game that was even more broken than a typically hosed up piranha bytes game lol

the community patch completely changes gothic 3, but gothic 2's patch is more about fixing some annoying bugs, otherwise it's playable and imo far more engaging than morrowind

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Fallout 4 because it FELL OUT

of a butt

a turd

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I enjoyed fallout 4, but you step off on the witcher ok pal?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Hot takes:

Fallout 4 is garbo and witcher 3 is gods gift to humanity. Hearts of Stone + Blood and Wine were literal manna from heaven.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Good soup! posted:

odd, gothic 2 works fine but yeah gothic 3 is notoriously broken because jowood wanted to beat oblivion to the market apparently and shoved out a game that was even more broken than a typically hosed up piranha bytes game lol

the community patch completely changes gothic 3, but gothic 2's patch is more about fixing some annoying bugs, otherwise it's playable and imo far more engaging than morrowind

I also never had issues with Gothic 2, but at any rate, it should be available at GOG for <:10bux:, and it is an essential game. And with the expansion you can get killed by a roach in one hit, so it is darksoulsesque or whatever

Gothic 3 is also great, but arguably also godawful at the same time.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

really queer Christmas posted:

Hot takes:

Fallout 4 is garbo and witcher 3 is gods gift to humanity. Hearts of Stone + Blood and Wine were literal manna from heaven.

Fallout 4 was sort of garbage but I've never been able to get into the Witcher 3. It's just boring and depressing and the combat is not good enough to make up for it.

But the main reason is I can't stand Geralt de Rivia's 80's action hero voice ALL THE TIME. Speaks like he's always at 60% intensity.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
you filthy motherfucker

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I also never had issues with Gothic 2, but at any rate, it should be available at GOG for <:10bux:, and it is an essential game. And with the expansion you can get killed by a roach in one hit, so it is darksoulsesque or whatever

Gothic 3 is also great, but arguably also godawful at the same time.

Yeah gothic 2 is fine I guess, Gothic 3 is good with the patch, but it's a shame the release was botched so poorly because the soundtrack is loving amazing too

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Fallout 4 was sort of garbage but I've never been able to get into the Witcher 3. It's just boring and depressing and the combat is not good enough to make up for it.

But the main reason is I can't stand Geralt de Rivia's 80's action hero voice ALL THE TIME. Speaks like he's always at 60% intensity.

How have you not been permabanned?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

fruit on the bottom posted:

How have you not been permabanned?

Beats me!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

basic hitler posted:

I try not to judge people based on cryptic shitposts, especially when i can't instantly recall a previous post of theirs, but you're a huge retard aren't you? Is that guy right? do you think Fallout 4 is good? You enjoy Hi-rez skinner boxes with dank laser guns?
I don't like its linear level-gated character progression which clashes with open-world level design, its tedious and overly-frequent combat, its stripped-down roleplaying where dialogue options are barely present to the point of being vestigial, or its quest design which usually amounts to "follow the quest marker on the map and fight the monster you find there" because they didn't want to make a good RPG so much as they wanted to make an epic cinematic adventure. But what's really going to bake your noodle is, in this post am I talking about Fallout 4 or The Witcher III: Wild Hunt?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

I don't like its linear level-gated character progression which clashes with open-world level design, its tedious and overly-frequent combat, its stripped-down roleplaying where dialogue options are barely present to the point of being vestigial, or its quest design which usually amounts to "follow the quest marker on the map and fight the monster you find there" because they didn't want to make a good RPG so much as they wanted to make an epic cinematic adventure. But what's really going to bake your noodle is, in this post am I talking about Fallout 4 or The Witcher III: Wild Hunt?

When you think about it, there is no difference between The Room and Forest Gump because both are just a series of images projected from a strip of film.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

if you ever get over the voice acting, you have to understand that the first act is more or less you traipsing in a literal active warzone, and that's depicted honestly and it's depressing. starving peasants having their grain stolen by both armies, executions for petty crimes, pillaging and rape.

But eventually you get further north of the warzone and the game gets more political, and at one point you sail across the ocean and end up in a whole different zone that's essentially Skyrim, but better.

The final DLC takes you to an area that's huge and essentially Fantasy France, with ridiculous accents, insane knights errant, and a literal magic book of fairy tales you can fall into.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

basic hitler posted:

if you ever get over the voice acting, you have to understand that the first act is more or less you traipsing in a literal active warzone, and that's depicted honestly and it's depressing. starving peasants having their grain stolen by both armies, executions for petty crimes, pillaging and rape.

But eventually you get further north of the warzone and the game gets more political, and at one point you sail across the ocean and end up in a whole different zone that's essentially Skyrim, but better.

The final DLC takes you to an area that's huge and essentially Fantasy France, with ridiculous accents, insane knights errant, and a literal magic book of fairy tales you can fall into.

Allright Basic Hitler, you've convinced me to give it another shot eventually. The first few hours aren't great, but we'll see

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

When you think about it, there is no difference between The Room and Forest Gump because both are just a series of images projected from a strip of film.

They're both similar to Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 as it happens, in that all their main characters are retarded.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Witcher 3 isn't a memorable or compelling game. The general combat, the skills, the mechanics, it's all just... Ehh. The game's biggest sin is that there's just nothing distinct enough to make it worth trudging through hundreds of hours of polished but ultimately forgettable, generic fantasy schlock.

Boss fights are the highlight but there're infrequent enough to not save the title. Meanwhile Geralt is the most grimdark anti - hero in recent memory and every time he opened his mouth it was embarrassing.

Also Skyrim was absolute unmitigated garbage, and the ferocious praise it earned exemplified the stupidity of "gamers" more than anything else I can imagine.

Cuphead is cool though.

E:

AlphaKeny1 posted:

"open world" is a really bad trend for game design and should have remained a niche

This is from page 6 and is 100% true

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 8, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
what RPGs DO have good combat

imo witcher 3 is definitely among the better ones

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Witcher 3 is really good. They are extremely proud of it and gave President Obama a copy.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Witcher 3 isn't a memorable or compelling game. The general combat, the skills, the mechanics, it's all just... Ehh. The game's biggest sin is that there's just nothing distinct enough to make it worth trudging through hundreds of hours of polished but ultimately forgettable, generic fantasy schlock.

Boss fights are the highlight but there're infrequent enough to not save the title. Meanwhile Geralt is the most grimdark anti - hero in recent memory and every time he opened his mouth it was embarrassing.

Also Skyrim was absolute unmitigated garbage, and the ferocious praise it earned exemplified the stupidity of "gamers" more than anything else I can imagine.

Cuphead is cool though.

E:

This is from page 6 and is 100% true

You're entitled to this retard rear end opinion, I hate you for it, and it's wrong, but i can't deny that you spelled out, thoroughly your retarded point.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I thought Prey was OK. It had a predictable story and I don't like how limited your combat options are. It's cool that theres a mechanic in place that dissuades you from getting too many alien upgrades but at least give you more than 3 weapons to compensate for it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Those sure are a lot of words to say something so horrendously wrong.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Ashmole posted:

I thought Prey was OK. It had a predictable story and I don't like how limited your combat options are. It's cool that theres a mechanic in place that dissuades you from getting too many alien upgrades but at least give you more than 3 weapons to compensate for it.

Is this really unpopular ? I thought Prey was generally the Okayest of games this year. Like so bland but competent it's hard to even muster up hate for it

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Is this really unpopular ? I thought Prey was generally the Okayest of games this year. Like so bland but competent it's hard to even muster up hate for it

I got attacked in the Steam thread about it so I assumed it was an unpopular opinion

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

what RPGs DO have good combat

imo witcher 3 is definitely among the better ones

I've been thinking about this and I'm not sure there's a fantasy RPG with good action/adventure combat. There's fantasy RPGs with good turn-based combat, and pew pew RPGs with good action combat, but I don't know if there's a mixture of the two. Even the best fantasy RPGs with action combat were good in spite of it, not because of it.

Willing to hear suggestions for good fantasy RPG action combat.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
When I think Geralt, grimdark really isn't what comes to my mind.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

really queer Christmas posted:

Hot takes:

This is the coldest take of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Meanwhile Geralt is the most grimdark anti - hero in recent memory and every time he opened his mouth it was embarrassing.

Have you even played the game?