Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Samuringa posted:

It does make me wonder how long is the lifespan of the current gen, or even if there is a "current gen" anymore, since they're doing incremental upgrades now. I figure there won't be anything closer to a PS5 or Xbox Duo for at least 3 or 4 years.

It's probably too far out to make a reasonable guess. One of the issues with trying to play futurist with the video game industry is that Sony and Microsoft are both big and stubborn enough to bulldog the market into some semblance of what they want it to be, while Nintendo will just do whatever the hell it wants. It's not a question of predictable evolution, but rather, what these specific players are thinking at any given point in time.

By rights, I would've expected every video game platform to basically be Steam at this point, but no one's ready to sink the physical media market just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

By rights, I would've expected every video game platform to basically be Steam at this point, but no one's ready to sink the physical media market just yet.

There's still enough chunks of North America with lovely enough connections that you'd lose a small but still part of the market if you ditch physical entirely. Plus doesn't Canadian internet still have lovely monthly caps on data? The demo for the new Gran Turismo game is 43 gigs.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
After seeing Dr. Strange, I'd like to see someone take a shot at making a video game using those twisty world mechanics.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Random thought: I wonder if Hellboy got into Injustice 2 over Spawn (or before Spawn) as a result of WB not being able to hammer out a deal with Todd McFarlane. He is a notorious self-styled business hardcase after all, so it wouldn't surprise me.

BiggerBoat posted:

After seeing Dr. Strange, I'd like to see someone take a shot at making a video game using those twisty world mechanics.

You might like DmC: Devil May Cry. Its quality is largely contested among fans, but it does have a lot of neat moments with architecture shifting around and whatnot.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 8, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm still real sad it wasn't Buffy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Todd's just waiting for Soul Calibur 6. This'll be the Summer of Necrid!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

There's still enough chunks of North America with lovely enough connections that you'd lose a small but still part of the market if you ditch physical entirely. Plus doesn't Canadian internet still have lovely monthly caps on data? The demo for the new Gran Turismo game is 43 gigs.

Yeah, it's a question of when the money you lose by ditching physical media is more than you gain by not having to spend the manufacturing cost anymore, plus the destruction of the second-hand market. There are a lot of recent practices that have been influenced, wholly or in part, by GameStop's used game policies.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

JordanKai posted:

Random thought: I wonder if Hellboy got into Injustice 2 over Spawn (or before Spawn) as a result of WB not being able to hammer out a deal with Todd McFarlane. He is a notorious self-styled business hardcase after all, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Didn't Todd say he'd basically hand over Spawn for MKX? I seem to remember him being really, really enthusiastic about the idea, like "I don't care about making money on this, I just want to see Spawn in this game."

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Skwirl posted:

The demo for the new Gran Turismo game is 43 gigs.

How in the gently caress is a demo 43 gigs? :psyduck:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

OptimusShr posted:

Laziness.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

OptimusShr posted:

It's probably a locked version of the full game.

Vakal posted:

Laziness.

Yeah, this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OptimusShr posted:

Keep in mind, PS4s shipped with a 500 gig hard drive (don't remember if the new upgraded ones have a bigger hard drive or not) and even if you own games on disc it has to install to play it so you don't save storage space, you just don't have to depend on bandwidth or connection stability to re-install games and you can resell them.

That's like 10-12 games max you can switch between without spending an afternoon deleting and installing things, on a console released 4 years ago. And that's not including DLC.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

catlord posted:

Didn't Todd say he'd basically hand over Spawn for MKX? I seem to remember him being really, really enthusiastic about the idea, like "I don't care about making money on this, I just want to see Spawn in this game."

I just read up on it and apparently WB already had Todd's blessing to put Spawn in their games as of MKX. I guess someone on the development team must've pushed for Hellboy or something!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Keep in mind, PS4s shipped with a 500 gig hard drive (don't remember if the new upgraded ones have a bigger hard drive or not) and even if you own games on disc it has to install to play it so you don't save storage space, you just don't have to depend on bandwidth or connection stability to re-install games and you can resell them.

That's like 10-12 games max you can switch between without spending an afternoon deleting and installing things, on a console released 4 years ago. And that's not including DLC.
Yeah I plopped a 2 TB drive into my PS4 which was the best thing I could have done.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

JordanKai posted:

I just read up on it and apparently WB already had Todd's blessing to put Spawn in their games as of MKX. I guess someone on the development team must've pushed for Hellboy or something!

There's no reason they can't put Spawn in later on too, if you were looking forward to sweet "Wanda!" action.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

There's no reason they can't put Spawn in later on too, if you were looking forward to sweet "Wanda!" action.

For sure, I'm just a little perplexed that Hellboy got in before Spawn seeing as Spawn won one of Ed Boon's esteemed "which of these characters would you like to make it into our game?" twitter polls.

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/799095756946886656?lang=en

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, in telltale batman, I like they reversed the Joker harley dynamic. (Look I am the only one playing it I guess so I need to babble about it)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, in telltale batman, I like they reversed the Joker harley dynamic. (Look I am the only one playing it I guess so I need to babble about it)

I didn't really like Harley until you got to talk to her alone. That conversation really helped with her character.

Next episode looks like it'll be fun.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

JordanKai posted:

For sure, I'm just a little perplexed that Hellboy got in before Spawn seeing as Spawn won one of Ed Boon's esteemed "which of these characters would you like to make it into our game?" twitter polls.

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/799095756946886656?lang=en

Sometimes you have to give the people what they really need instead of what they think they want.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Maybe Spawn will be in the next MK game.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Sometimes you have to give the people what they really need instead of what they think they want.

They definitely made the right call.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I kinda hope Spawn does make it in, I'd imagine the pre-fight banter between him and Hellboy would be great.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Spawn strikes me as a character who works in the Mortal Kombat universe, while Hellboy works for Injustice.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I haven't read a Spawn comic for a long time, but when I did, I remember stuff happening to him that would not be wildly out of place in a Mortal Kombat game, like when he ended a big crossover with Batman with a Batarang jutting out of his face.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

Spawn strikes me as a character who works in the Mortal Kombat universe, while Hellboy works for Injustice.

I hope DC makes a deal with Mignola and puts Hellboy in the Injustice comic.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

I hope DC makes a deal with Mignola and puts Hellboy in the Injustice comic.

Hellboy already crossed over with Batman and Starman once, so there's precedent!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah I plopped a 2 TB drive into my PS4 which was the best thing I could have done.

They can also use external drives now.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

You know, I have a sneaking suspicion they're putting Atom in.

I was right!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
New trailer for Insomniac's Spider-man game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hF4WVqQ_Z0

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Look at all that gameplay.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

Look at all that gameplay.

Two seconds were shown: Mary Jane will do stealth segments and Spider-Man does beat-em-up combat, gathering from literal seconds shown of actual gameplay.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They showed like 15 minutes of gameplay last time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

They showed like 15 minutes of gameplay last time.

15 minutes of QTEs you mean.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mecha-Shocker confirmed!!!!!!!!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like that Miles is in it.

It looks good, like visually. Hopefully we'll see more game play later, thought i'm expecting just Arkham style combat with prompts to interact with the world.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

twistedmentat posted:

Arkham style combat with prompts to interact with the world.

One thing I really liked about Arkham Knight was how they beefed up the environmental attacks, though you had to be within melee range of the objects to activate them. From the gameplay footage we got of Spider-Man in that construction level we saw that you can trigger them from afar with webs.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

15 minutes of QTEs you mean.

There was regular moment to moment combat and movement in the E3 trailer. Unless you count "pressing buttons to do anything in a game" as a QTE I guess. Do agree that the actual chase part was way too QTE heavy and way too long though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

There was regular moment to moment combat and movement in the E3 trailer. Unless you count "pressing buttons to do anything in a game" as a QTE I guess. Do agree that the actual chase part was way too QTE heavy and way too long though.

I mean, there's only so much you can do with a boss fight with a helicopter I guess.

I would imagine the boss fights against actual people are less like that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lobok posted:

One thing I really liked about Arkham Knight was how they beefed up the environmental attacks, though you had to be within melee range of the objects to activate them. From the gameplay footage we got of Spider-Man in that construction level we saw that you can trigger them from afar with webs.

Yea, that's exactly what I imagine it would have. I think the E3 footage showed Spidy sitting far away from goons and a prompt shows up to pull something down on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Is it just me, or do the graphics look less than stellar for current gen?