Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

I guess that's kind of my point. Nick doesn't just hurt the show in the US, it hurts the show worldwide since my understanding from talking to people on other continents is that it goes on hiatus there, too. Possibly whatever viewers you lose in the US by dropping traditional cable (and come on, really?) you'd gain more abroad.

Although since Saban started filing copyright infringement against anything that even resembles tokusatsu outside of Japan, it's possible that I just don't know what a "Power Rangers" show looks like outside in the rest of the world anymore. Is the adapted show largely for North America and the rest of the world is watching subbed sentai?

PR is an American produced show while Ladybug is French so if they were totally fine with dropping the US broadcaster since ultimately, they're beholden to their French audience. The US audience is just extras from the ability to license.

I dunno how PR/Sentai works outside the US after the reacquisition, especially since Korea just produced their own sequel to Kyoryuger via a Korean company who holds the Korean Licenses to PR/Sentai with cooperation with Toei. The situation may have changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
International Copyright/IP law is a tangled nightmare.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly Saban really needs to ditch Nickelodeon, it's going to kill the franchise eventually otherwise
I didn't even have Nick for a solid 4~ years because my cable provider and Viacom were in a huge dispute about money and I assume it's the same for other cable companies.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lizard Wizard has been doing something pretty neat in the other toku thread: Mighty Minimalist Power Rangers.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

A few months ago while on vacation, I decided to try and watch some Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on Netflix with my cousin. We agreed that there was plenty to laugh at, but that the sum of the parts wasn't great, particularly in the pacing department! Since then, I've been working to fix that by condensing each episode into a five-minute affair on average, preserving all of the best action and the "best" acting. Until now I'd been posting it in the Tokusatsu thread down in animetown, but I have now been made aware of this thread.

You can find it here, but be forewarned that I was working with really lovely and inconsistent quality rips up until episode 12, so you may or may not want to skip to that episode.

Enjoy!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

Lizard Wizard has been doing something pretty neat in the other toku thread: Mighty Minimalist Power Rangers.

What he said.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Whoops, didn't mean to steal your thunder.

It's really good though, and I think it'll the the attention it deserves here.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Always happy to have an advocate!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you don't mind Lizard, I'll send this to a podcast I listen to, Teenagers with Attitude. I feel like they'd mention it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If you don't mind Lizard, I'll send this to a podcast I listen to, Teenagers with Attitude. I feel like they'd mention it.

Sure! I need to get back to listening to them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well it's easy to fall behind when every episode is like two hours.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
On the topic of PR podcasts, does anyone listen to Ranger Danger or The Morphin Grid? I started listening to both when the movie came out, expecting that I would eventually drop one, but that hasn't occurred because the hosts and tone of both are compelling as hell.

(plus, they are at max an hour long, I don't know if I could tolerate 2h podcast episodes...)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Somebody mentioned Ranger Danger earlier this spring. I tried two episodes and the audio quality is terrible, which is a deal-killer for me.

One of the episodes was Gold Rush and they went "well I guess this show is going off the air for a number of months" when I realized that Nick is not just bad for US viewership, it's apparently damaging everywhere.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 9, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, Ranger podcasts.

I miss those.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Burkion posted:

Ah, Ranger podcasts.

I miss those.

:yaycloud:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Miss you guys too :love:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You gotta' go away to come back.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MisterBibs posted:

On the topic of PR podcasts, does anyone listen to Ranger Danger or The Morphin Grid? I started listening to both when the movie came out, expecting that I would eventually drop one, but that hasn't occurred because the hosts and tone of both are compelling as hell.

(plus, they are at max an hour long, I don't know if I could tolerate 2h podcast episodes...)

Well you gotta understand Teenagers With Attitude is mostly talking about bullshit and going on tangents. Sounds pretty unappealing when I put it that way but they're mostly charming, nice boys and girls.

Good theory craft too, such as Goldar and the putties union rules, Which actions rangers can take as a free action. How the park is an infinite space, Ernie is secretly a mobster on the run from Batman, Bulk has the mutant clown gene.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 9, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lizard Wizard posted:

A few months ago while on vacation, I decided to try and watch some Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on Netflix with my cousin. We agreed that there was plenty to laugh at, but that the sum of the parts wasn't great, particularly in the pacing department! Since then, I've been working to fix that by condensing each episode into a five-minute affair on average, preserving all of the best action and the "best" acting. Until now I'd been posting it in the Tokusatsu thread down in animetown, but I have now been made aware of this thread.

You can find it here, but be forewarned that I was working with really lovely and inconsistent quality rips up until episode 12, so you may or may not want to skip to that episode.

Enjoy!

Zach's Africa pendant in that episode. drat.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SwAyS33Uf8

New episode hot off the encoder! In today's installment, Jason doesn't seem to know the word "unicorn".

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well you gotta understand Teenagers With Attitude is mostly talking about bullshit and going on tangents. Sounds pretty unappealing when I put it that way but they're mostly charming, nice boys and girls.

I feel you. Personally, I can only tolerate long podcasts if the hosts keep the discussion on track for the duration.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzS13AAFZ7s

One more before I head off to bed. This time, evil twins. Plenty of Bulk and Skull in this one.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1407jaoYbA

Tuesday? No, Doomsday! I have so many problems with the finer points of this episode.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 10, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Related, I wonder how much they had to rewrite/re-act of Doomsday at the last minute, due to the success of the show. Like, they obviously had to because the show is 80% written like its the finale, but surely if they had time to change the last five minutes, they could've taken out a couple more minutes of the "hey do you guys not wanna be Power Rangers anymore" stuff, right?

(I may have almost written a short story where Doomsday was the in-universe end of the Power Rangers, with the Rangers collectively losing their memory of each other and their Ranger lives, IT-style, but couldn't do it satisfactorily...)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I was just reading up on that earlier today. They were going to have a scene where the Ranger stormed Rita's palace and sealed her away again.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

I was just reading up on that earlier today. They were going to have a scene where the Ranger stormed Rita's palace and sealed her away again.

Yeah, I heard something about that too, but couldn't use the existing footage because a huge chunk of it was unmorphed fights.

Oh, and this randomly popped up on my youtube feed: ever wanted to be part of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Official Fan Club? Now you can be, vicariously. It's kinda remarkably cringey, but it's really interesting that you've got the actors playing their characters, but way more like actual people than they ever were on the show.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 11, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Oh, and this randomly popped up on my youtube feed: ever wanted to be part of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Official Fan Club? Now you can be, vicariously. It's kinda remarkably cringey, but it's really interesting that you've got the actors playing their characters, but way more like actual people than they ever were on the show.

Aw, heck. I'll never be a Power Ranger - I love drugs and alcohol too much. :smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZRzpb_D9Q

Speaking of which, here's one bad weed! This episode marks the start of original footage shot specifically for the American show, and features a pretty decent performance from Squatt, making it A Good Episode.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omCvF_0JoPw
Today, Rita goes hog wild. I like this episode, the guy who voiced the monster clearly had fun.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Your edits are awesome, LW. They up the humor factor. "We need Dinozord Power, no-" "MEGAZORD ACTIVATED"

Unrelated, in that video I linked to, I just realized the red crystal thing that is underneath Zordon in the command center. Have I missed that my whole life? :wtc:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Unrelated, in that video I linked to, I just realized the red crystal thing that is underneath Zordon in the command center. Have I missed that my whole life? :wtc:

Isn't that just the alarm?

Also, have a bafflingly quiet Goldar, which didn't make the cut in this video.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This week's DC/PR crossover comic has, at long last, Lord Zedd vs the Megazord.

Except, and I'll leave it to you if this is a DC mistake or a Saban decision, it's the OG Megazord which he owned immediately upon showing up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Craptacular! posted:

This week's DC/PR crossover comic has, at long last, Lord Zedd vs the Megazord.

Except, and I'll leave it to you if this is a DC mistake or a Saban decision, it's the OG Megazord which he owned immediately upon showing up.

OC Megazord most recognizable Megazord for whoever that DC/PR crossover comic is aimed at

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
unless there was a printing delay for physical, that issue was out the last week of September.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

Lord Zedd kicked Tommy's rear end, at the height of his White Ranger / Kids Love Him powers. Of course he'd wreck the assorted shits of the first Megazord.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Double post, but it's been a bit, but I might have to pick up the Power Rangers comic set in 1969.

https://twitter.com/imkota/status/920674657581355009

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's a legit good idea

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Did issue 20 come out yesterday? It wasn't in my comic shop pull

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFUeOxhnVgM

Today, an episode that I vaguely remember, wherein Billy is afraid of fish. Also, the voice of Lord Zedd!

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 19, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MnsO5AKp9Q

A chimera! I really enjoy this episode's monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm sad you don't get more exposure. You should see if there's any Power Rangers podcasts left to prod.