Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Wild EEPROM posted:

no I don't mean the galaxy edge I mean this monstrosity

My wife had one of those. You had to squeeze the phone to get the notification screen to turn on, and the battery lasted about 4 hours on a good day. Also Facebook spammed the gently caress out of that little screen, notifying you of everything short of "Bob is scrolling his wall right now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

fishmech posted:

well you need a core i7 and 64 gb of ram to make chrome not slow

That config is +$650 and the pen is +$99 which is just shy of a $1800 chromebook lmao.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

mrmcd posted:

That config is +$650 and the pen is +$99 which is just shy of a $1800 chromebook lmao.

"it runs all your favorite apps!*"

*google apps and websites only

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
wireless* earbuds

*literally wired together

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

anthonypants posted:

it's a 2-in-1 and has a stylus

so is the Lenovo yoga and it can do more than just surf the web

a $1k+ chrome book is the dumbest thing ever, I thought the point was that it was supposed to be cheap laptop for the web??

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

My Linux Rig posted:

a $1k+ chrome book is the dumbest thing ever, I thought the point was that it was supposed to be cheap laptop for the web??

I have one of the 2015 fancy Chromebooks (also called 'Pixel' lol) that were like $1400. It's a really good couch computer and also good for traveling. Once I got gud passable at tmux it became my favorite laptop to use. However, you gotta be heavily invested in a cloud / browser style of working, and live the "never outside a fast wifi bubble" life of a sheltered SV techlord. Offline it's pretty much an expensive, shiny brick.

I didn't buy it myself though, and it's almost impossible to sell to anyone who cares about money or budget.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

My Linux Rig posted:

https://lifehacker.com/keep-a-dedicated-guest-computer-for-your-houseguests-1795485881

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

wireless* earbuds

*literally wired together

you can get those for like $30 now while "true" wireless are $200

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
hardware keynotes give me the creeps

*pudgy nerd walks on stage to rap music*

*nerd tries as hard as possible to look aspirational* "we're here to announce something..... absolutely .... incredible..."

*shows a phone 99% identical to the iphone*

*repeat every year*

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

hardware keynotes give me the creeps

*pudgy nerd walks on stage to rap music*

"we're here to announce something.......... absolutely .... incredible."

*shows a phone 99% identical to the iphone*

*repeat every year*

looks like someone forgot about dre zoll

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
or this lunacy

https://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3850056/qualcomms-insane-ces-2013-keynote-pictures-tweets

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
oh my god

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

what the gently caress

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

its amazing to me that anyone managed to top the zoll poo poo but here we are

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

its amazing to me that anyone managed to top the zoll poo poo but here we are

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how can so many of you yosposters be unfamiliar with CES 2013

BORN MOBILE

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sagebrush posted:

BORN MOBILE

Psychotic break : the keynote

was bloody amazing

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
chrome is deathly bad so i recommend that for the remainder of 2017 we revise chome to chomb (chrome tomb)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sagebrush posted:

BORN MOBILE

how can you post this without posting the amazing quick cuts video of that presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7qTHbOEiDY

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol great job guys, we'd better throw another 2 bil at this problem instead of figuring out why 4chan nazis can game our breaking news system

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

this is the leading (the only?) android cpu company lmao

poty
Jun 21, 2008

qirex posted:

lol great job guys, we'd better throw another 2 bil at this problem instead of figuring out why 4chan nazis can game our breaking news system

ah so this is why they can get oled on their phone while apple is having a supply nightmare about it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

no you dont understand

THIS is the year that google really gets serious about hardware

totally different from all those other years

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

atomicthumbs posted:

chrome is deathly bad so i recommend that for the remainder of 2017 we revise chome to chomb (chrome tomb)

chomb gang :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

poty posted:

this is the leading (the only?) android cpu company lmao
there's also samsung and mediatek. qualcomm is the biggest though by far i'm p sure

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

BORN MOBILE

first time i see that poo poo even though i followed tech in 2013, especially ces

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

as google said themselves (think i saw this on techmeme), they treat 4chan as news source because of clicks or something lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

basically they said "fake news are bad" and don't even start trying to do something about. instead, le goog has gone on rampage to try to make youtube pg-13 for the sake advertisers or something

poty
Jun 21, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

basically they said "fake news are bad" and don't even start trying to do something about. instead, le goog has gone on rampage to try to make youtube pg-13 for the sake advertisers or something

if it doesnt help them sell ads they dont give a gently caress. death to google and facebook

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sagebrush posted:

BORN MOBILE

yeah, seriously. it's like a yospos staple

You Am I posted:

how can you post this without posting the amazing quick cuts video of that presentation:

THERE IT IS

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
it's art

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
no, this is art

https://twitter.com/mehnitesh2/status/915767154590601216

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://store.google.com/us/product/moshi_usb_c_headphone_adapter_charger

a $45 dongle

move over apple, there's new donglord in town :clint:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

You Am I posted:

2014 had so much wasted potential

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4rMy1iA268

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

qirex posted:

well, at their current rate of growth, in seven years they'll control 179% of the smart phone market

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Google Fiber started off with a simple enough premise: providing lightning-fast internet and TV service to customers at reasonable prices. Given that many Americans have just one or two ISPs serving their area (usually, with just one of them offering serviceable internet speeds), the promise of gigabit internet from Google at $70/month was hard to pass up.

Last week, however, it was revealed that the TV portion of Google Fiber is being eliminated from future rollouts of the service. In a blog post, Google explained that in its newest markets, Louisville and San Antonio, it will not be providing optional TV service. "More and more people are moving away from traditional methods of viewing television content," said Google Fiber's Cathy Fogler. "Customers today want to control what, where, when, and how they get content.

"Whether it’s through YouTube TV, Hulu, Netflix, or more specific targeted services -- there are so many ways to watch what you want, when you want it."

Fogler goes on to add that Google Fiber allows customers to enjoy the aforementioned streaming services at the highest quality settings across multiple devices in your home. It's also quite possible that Google Fiber simply hasn't seen a high take rate for the TV add-on, which has probably drawn a watchful eye from parent company Alphabet. Louisville and San Antonio may be the first market to launch with a complementary TV service, but it also appears that Google is trying to push its existing TV subscribers off the train as well.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hey guess what, google home mini listens to every sound in your house and sends all of it to google, where it is saved.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/10/google-nerfing-home-minis-mine-spied-everything-said-247/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wow, no poo poo, the always on listening device you voluntarily installed in your own home is always on and listening.

amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the advertising company that has an interest in having as much data about you and your household as humanly possible said it wouldn't do that, but then it did!

no way anyone could have foreseen such an unlikely malfunction.

• Locked thread