Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

waiting for Kris Dunn to be Back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

R.D. Mangles posted:

Bad news. Kris Done

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Cool Buff Man posted:

Bad news. Kris Done

:wow:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Cavs announcer just said that Jose Calderon had a flying right elbow on his shot when he came into the NBA. Think MKGs goofy rear end motion. So Jose stood next to a wall and shot jumpshots to fix it :allears:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's crazy to me that guys come into the NBA, which means they had to completely dominate at basketball their entire lives, without being able to do the most basic, elementary basketball motion

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/swish41/status/917107206750949382

modnote: gross

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 9, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
NMS that. Gross. Ugh.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
seriously. between that and learning about toast sandwiches SA is gonna make me fuckin hurl today. hit that poo poo with a spoiler at least.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

R.D. Mangles posted:

He doesn't have anything to go Back to though

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/cavs/status/917117157271592960

:eyepop:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

Just say RC Cola instead

My favorite Coke.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Cool Buff Man posted:

Bad news. Kris Done

ahhhhhhhhhh

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Your future rookie of the year baby

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/917109130040659969

Turkish Manu

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's crazy to me that guys come into the NBA, which means they had to completely dominate at basketball their entire lives, without being able to do the most basic, elementary basketball motion

When you're so insanely good you get to the rim any time you don't need one

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Whats worse.. a point guard that cant shoot or a shooting guard who cant pass?
As always these are questions with complicated answers.

Ricky Rubio succeeds with league average three point shooting and poor finishing (with outlier seasons) because he is like the closed to humanity crystal cavern in mexico, his game holds tremendous beauty and he has knowledges of arcane secrets that prep school autists like Ben Simmons will never understand.

Not to recapitulate the Magic discussion, but lots of standing at the three point line and passing over heads to undoubled post guys will not cut it today.

MCW got hurt early and lost his ability to finish which destroyed him as a prospect. Lonzo Ball played as a sort of Draymond Green on offense )((not accurate but if you've seen him play you feel me). Aside from his top of the key off the dribble duck waddle threes, he was not running PNRs from normal places, he was running them from wing pnr initiation places, and he got most of his points at the rim not on dribble drives but on oops from his strong passing teammates TJ Leaf and coach's son and shooter Toby Alford. He is a frankly weird player and the Lakers seem to be building around him which is good, because on a regular pnr team I think he would bust.
Lonzo needs to use his strenf to get over screens and not die early to make sure he doesn't make their Robin Lopez ? Larry Nance? Anchored defense worse.

Transitioning to Rondo, Rondo Paul style hammers the ball, but can't make those Chris Paul Jumpers. He would never have been regarded as anything but a solid guy had he not been surrounded by hall of fame scorers of all types. Lonzo has been playing tiki taka euro love basketball since he was a kid, with a dash of GET YOU BUCKETS SON chucking.

The value of the pass only pg needs to include his defense and rebounding. And he's a player who demands a roster built around his limitations.

A pass never sg is the old fashioned sg, Kobe fetishists like Demar make incredible shots and maybe they couldn't make amazing midrange shots if they were thinking about teammates and not just getting the ideal angle for their shot. But no player like that has been the best player on a championship team since?? Pau and Shaq were arguably better than Kobe.

Wiggins has been only a net negative for the wolves despite scoring more and becoming more efficient. This can be partially blamed on their bigs poor defense, but he's been very very bad. If he used his world class athleticism on defense, that would change. But the Mamba mindset precludes that, I suppose. Some pass never sgs are just awful passers, like Zach Lavine, or Terrence Ross.

In cornclusion, pass first pgs need elite feel, and they need to contribute in all the non scoring parts of the game. Shoot only sgs are incredibly expensive role players.

If we roll in combo guards, the players who shoot at will but also pass and share the ball willingly tend to be on winning teams or are coveted by teams who want to be better. Players like Wiggins and Deroazan get paid because their teams are afraid of looking foolish if they drop off if they lose 20ppg and nothing else.

Klay Thompson, Gary Harris, these are the shooting guards that smart organizations want. KCP and Bradley are the sgs teams will accept as good enough. Devin Booker could be a new Klay Thompson or he could be ruined by phoenix and never fit in on a team that moved the ball and played modern basket.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Your future rookie of the year baby

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/917109130040659969

Turkish Manu
I really like him as a coin flip prospect, he's long enough and moves well, he might be athletic enough to not be totally outclassed, and in Turkey he spotted up well, important for anyone playing on a Lebron team, and was allowed to run breaks, and played some point forward.

I never have a feeling whether Euros will make it, because the length/athleticism gap is so rough, but the more skilled they are the less traumatic the transition.

The Cavs will have plenty of time to play him as Dwayne Rests and Lebron rests and Kevin Love gets to run the corner offense.

The Cavs might be fun once IT is back if he's even okay.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The Cavs have actually been fun to watch this preseason with LeBron resting, which is a huge improvement from the past two years.

AggressivelyStupid fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 8, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
*sheds a tear @the beauty of this world*

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
How do you even get a toe like that, what the hell

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
playing lots and lots of basketball, i'd imagine

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

nachos posted:

How do you even get a toe like that, what the hell

I kinda get that players toes are hosed up because of all the mileage/growing up with lovely fitting shoes and so on, but how'd his toenail get so messed up? Was he reenacting some old school Looney Tunes and dropped an anvil on it?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The feet of athletes are, quite often, the stuff of nightmares.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm still confused on what the hell happened to make this happen

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

I kinda get that players toes are hosed up because of all the mileage/growing up with lovely fitting shoes and so on, but how'd his toenail get so messed up? Was he reenacting some old school Looney Tunes and dropped an anvil on it?

Maybe a 200-300 pound man stomped or j umped on his foot dozens of times a year for ten years

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
spurs players looking a lot better after their first preseason loss

lma looks like he's in much better shape and seems to be trying his rear end off

gay played a good game tonight

bryn forbes continues to brute force his way onto the roster with fantastic shooting

white and paul seem to be good pick ups

even murray had a good game today

i think the spurs are going to be better this year than last and we haven't even seen what kawhi looks like yet

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Maybe a 200-300 pound man stomped or j umped on his foot dozens of times a year for ten years

perhaps that's why the other toe is on top of it, to protect it from further damage

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Can we get Mel United in the East please.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

spurs players looking a lot better after their first preseason loss

lma looks like he's in much better shape and seems to be trying his rear end off

gay played a good game tonight

bryn forbes continues to brute force his way onto the roster with fantastic shooting

white and paul seem to be good pick ups

even murray had a good game today

i think the spurs are going to be better this year than last and we haven't even seen what kawhi looks like yet
yeah, I'm liking what I'm seeing of year 2 Bertans every new game too. stepping up defensively. honestly if only Kawhi hadn't gone down I'd be feeling pretty optimistic about this year which isn't what I thought during the offseason. I believe in LMA, and it actually does seem like we're gonna be a better team than last year. Everyone always cries about the Spurs losing depth whenever some Spur bench dude/diamond in the rough gets headhunted but we almost always bring in enough suitable replacements.
I guess hopefully K won't miss much time and it won't be a reaccuring thing tho. no timetable but PATFO did seem optimistic about him not missing much time.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

yeah, I'm liking what I'm seeing of year 2 Bertans every new game too. stepping up defensively. honestly if only Kawhi hadn't gone down I'd be feeling pretty optimistic about this year which isn't what I thought during the offseason. I believe in LMA, and it actually does seem like we're gonna be a better team than last year. Everyone always cries about the Spurs losing depth whenever some Spur bench dude/diamond in the rough gets headhunted but we almost always bring in enough suitable replacements.
I guess hopefully K won't miss much time and it won't be a reaccuring thing tho. no timetable but PATFO did seem optimistic about him not missing much time.

i'm expecting him to play in the season opener, but wouldn't be surprised either way

i really don't see him missing anything more than 2 weeks, but lords knows i've been wrong before

anyway, spurs looking really strong, and honestly, if kawhi has to sit, rudy gay is a much better replacement for him than we've ever had before, and bp3 looks like he can fill in the 3 spot nicely, and there's always kyle anderson too.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tae posted:

I'm still confused on what the hell happened to make this happen

Looks like someone set him on fire and put him out with an ugly foot

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Lebron James binds his feet like a beautiful demure Chinese wife

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/mrjohnmichael/status/917161879637823488

N E X T
L E V E L

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Abbreviating Kawhi as K makes me think of Franz Kafka, I hope Kawhi Leonard isn't also engaged in a futile quest against hostile and alienating forces

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Jack's Flow posted:

The feet of athletes are, quite often, the stuff of nightmares.

Yeah. Ballerina's, too. Tight shoes often correlate with better performance so people do it... at the expense of kinda destroying their feet bones long term.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I love Russ

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

See this is why you just call people you don't like a clown publicly and then move on

I didn't see the text at first and thought Russell Westbrook was just supporting a good cause

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
terrance ferguson looks good

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Lonzo Ball stop ducking De'Aaron Fox

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

chunkles posted:

I hope Kawhi Leonard isn't also engaged in a futile quest against hostile and alienating forces
that's the western conference.
I like our odds as long as all Georgians are banned from games involving K though. just watch Daryl loving morey bring in Tskitishvili from wherever the gently caress he is rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/StephNoh/status/917172127064870913

• Locked thread