Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

yeah pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Actually that cartoon is more like MLKjr saying "We know you only voted for this because it was convenient, scum." and then holding a petty and counterproductive grudge.

As far as I can tell you are in favor of getting politicians who might be convinced to support your cause voted out in favor of ones who are ardently against your cause because you see purity of ideals as more important than actually accomplishing your goals, this tells me that your real goal is ideological purity instead of whatever you falsely claim to be your cause. The fact that you want to attack people who did not support your cause until it became viable for them to do so, the people who joined in for the final push to see the goal actually achieved only reinforces the fact that this was all about ideological purity and not about the goal you were pretending to pursue.
Or... it's like the analogy I gave, where civil rights movements in the 70s through today are skeptical of white liberalism, and gay rights movements of the late 2000s through today are skeptical of straight liberalism, because those same politicians in the 60s/90s are serving today and tried to sacrifice those rights on the altar of political expediency. Yes, ideological purity is a concern for minority movements that feel they are at risk of being co-opted and marginalized. I... feel like you might be somewhat unaware of MLKjr's relationship to white liberalism after 1964, or Al Sharpton's after 1968.

You also might want to think about why you're assuming I'm some sort of radical queer activist who hates all breeders based on me empathizing with a Bors cartoon, but you do you.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I really don't like this idea that forwarding human rights is only okay once it's "popular" (for a lack of a better term). And that we shouldn't expect politicians to ever take risks to try and help everyone they represent, not just whoever majority they're trying to get voting for them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ularg posted:

I really don't like this idea that forwarding human rights is only okay once it's "popular" (for a lack of a better term). And that we shouldn't expect politicians to ever take risks to try and help everyone they represent, not just whoever majority they're trying to get voting for them.

I can sorta sympathize.

I mean, no one person has the power to drag the country kicking and screaming into the 21st century for its own good.
And like it or not, the mouth-breathing inbreds who think that gay people cause global warming or that the South won the civil war still have just as much voting power as decent human beings when it comes to choosing elected officials.

It's a big, clusterfucked collaborative effort to get anything done thanks to how our government is organized and set up, and all it takes is one person loving up to throw the whole machine out of whack.

Obviously, it'd be great if we could just dig deep and go All In for basic human goodness, but as others have said, you can't effect ANY sort of change if you aren't in a position of power, and you have to be willing to make compromises in order to make any progress towards the goals you want.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's also easy to make and support compromises when it's not your rights that are being compromised on.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Democrats have gone too far with gerrymandering. ABC

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Things sure happened, huh.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Roland Jones posted:

It's also easy to make and support compromises when it's not your rights that are being compromised on.

Its even easier to support a position when you hold no office and don't need to get elected, when the position is just something to support your holier-than-thou attitude and not something that affects your life.

Seriously, most of the leftists here are saying that politicians should have all laid down their careers and gotten voted out, despite never having risked anything in THEIR life for these positions. Who here has, in their lives, been likely to lose their jobs for supporting gay marriage? Show of hands? No, not for being gay, for supporting gay marriage, there is a difference. Now imagine that if you lost your job, the guy who replaced you would absolutely drag LGBT rights backwards and make life actively worse for gay people. Seem like a good idea to throw your career down the toilet all for the sake of that precious, precious purity?

Panty Saluter posted:

Democrats have gone too far with gerrymandering. ABC

I don't think you understand how American Football works.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 8, 2017

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Fulchrum posted:

Its even easier to support a position when you hold no office and don't need to get elected, when the position is just something to support your holier-than-thou attitude and not something that affects your life.

Seriously, most of the leftists here are saying that politicians should have all laid down their careers and gotten voted out, despite never having risked anything in THEIR life for these positions. Who here has, in their lives, been likely to lose their jobs for supporting gay marriage? Show of hands? No, not for being gay, for supporting gay marriage, there is a difference. Now imagine that if you lost your job, the guy who replaced you would absolutely drag LGBT rights backwards and make life actively worse for gay people. Seem like a good idea to throw your career down the toilet all for the sake of that precious, precious purity?

Lol you are such an insufferable coward Fulchrum.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Some of you guys seem to enjoy interacting with Fulcrum, I don't recommend it this thread is stressful enough.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Fulchrum posted:

I don't think you understand how American Football works.

:ironicat:

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/881161169469403137

Even more than Fulchrum, the people who annoy me are the ones willing to give the benefit of doubt to politicians. Yes, I'm sure ambitious sociopaths in some of the highest levels of government in the USA simply hadn't heard the right pro-gay marriage arguments and their "change of heart" was based on a deeply personal epiphany that people should have equal rights. Politicians aren't your friends, they're functionally robots designed to seek out maximum profit and power, and if you're willing to believe that they make decisions based on any kind of moral compass you're naive.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Fulcrum: not even once.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

You're right. Ideological purity, now and forever! Now can I get a full list of all your beliefs so I can find the two or three points we might disagree on so I can preserve my integrity by not voting for you?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/BusterPoindextr/status/917163310876852225
https://twitter.com/BusterPoindextr/status/917166289700966405

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

If I never hear the words "ideological purity" again it'll be too soon, especially if people are gonna throw it around like it's a lefty version of "virtue signalling".

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Gary McCoy is a pathetic piece of poo poo. I fail to see how the world wouldn't be a better place if he weren't in it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tibalt posted:

Or... it's like the analogy I gave, where civil rights movements in the 70s through today are skeptical of white liberalism, and gay rights movements of the late 2000s through today are skeptical of straight liberalism, because those same politicians in the 60s/90s are serving today and tried to sacrifice those rights on the altar of political expediency. Yes, ideological purity is a concern for minority movements that feel they are at risk of being co-opted and marginalized. I... feel like you might be somewhat unaware of MLKjr's relationship to white liberalism after 1964, or Al Sharpton's after 1968.

You also might want to think about why you're assuming I'm some sort of radical queer activist who hates all breeders based on me empathizing with a Bors cartoon, but you do you.

I'm not going to bother responding to someone who puts words into other people's mouths like some right wing radio host. Bye.

tyblazitar posted:

https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/881161169469403137

Even more than Fulchrum, the people who annoy me are the ones willing to give the benefit of doubt to politicians. Yes, I'm sure ambitious sociopaths in some of the highest levels of government in the USA simply hadn't heard the right pro-gay marriage arguments and their "change of heart" was based on a deeply personal epiphany that people should have equal rights. Politicians aren't your friends, they're functionally robots designed to seek out maximum profit and power, and if you're willing to believe that they make decisions based on any kind of moral compass you're naive.

Your utter cynicism is a poison to every cause you support.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm not going to bother responding to someone who puts words into other people's mouths like some right wing radio host. Bye.

Your utter cynicism is a poison to every cause you support.

for somebody who shitposts and then goes "bye" you're really bad at actually loving shutting up and leaving

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

D.N. Nation posted:

Gary McCoy is a pathetic piece of poo poo. I fail to see how the world wouldn't be a better place if he weren't in it.

Now here's something we can all agree on.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Broken Loose posted:

for somebody who shitposts and then goes "bye" you're really bad at actually loving shutting up and leaving

I was saying Bye to that poster, not the thread in general. I'm just going to keep posting here, especially when people respond to my posts.

Here, have a cartoon:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This is unfair to Tyrannosaurs.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

D.N. Nation posted:

I'm still having a hard time believing that comic from yesterday is real, like, it's really blatantly racist even for McCoy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Missed opportunity to not have the gun bits there and just "leave it ambiguous" where the NRA was grabbing.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Why would you evolve to make yourself taste like something sweet and delicious that's known for being widely loved this time of year? Or is it supposed to be funny because the shark's all "you kidding me?" and is gonna eat the fish because his evolutionary trait is stupid?

It's not funny either way I guess so who cares.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Grimdude posted:

Why would you evolve to make yourself taste like something sweet and delicious that's known for being widely loved this time of year? Or is it supposed to be funny because the shark's all "you kidding me?" and is gonna eat the fish because his evolutionary trait is stupid?

It's not funny either way I guess so who cares.
I guess it's also an admission that evolution is real?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I was saying Bye to that poster, not the thread in general. I'm just going to keep posting here, especially when people respond to my posts.

Here, have a cartoon:

There must be an unbroken historical thread of comics about tiny presidents wearing the giant shoes of the previous incumbent. It might be possible to take Trump's height, calculate Obama's height using this picture, then find one of the comics about Obama failing to fill Dubya's shoes, use that to work out Dubya's height, and then so on until we reach the earliest shoe-filling-president comic we can find. How many miles high will that earliest president be?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Most people only know the first verse of the Guns Puerto Rico Hurricane Anthem, so they're always shocked at how it gets really racist almost immediately afterward

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ragnar34 posted:

There must be an unbroken historical thread of comics about tiny presidents wearing the giant shoes of the previous incumbent. It might be possible to take Trump's height, calculate Obama's height using this picture, then find one of the comics about Obama failing to fill Dubya's shoes, use that to work out Dubya's height, and then so on until we reach the earliest shoe-filling-president comic we can find. How many miles high will that earliest president be?

These are the only cartoons I can find about Obama filling Bush's shoes

Bush was not very popular in 2009 :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

We can start with the assumption that Barack is the size of an oak tree.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pakled posted:

These are the only cartoons I can find about Obama filling Bush's shoes

Who? There were tons of cartoons featuring Obama failing to fill the shoes of his immediate predecessors: Carter, Reagan, and uh... Margaret Thatcher.

EDIT - Branco went for the twofer!

After The War fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 9, 2017

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Jimmy Carter is a man of style and taste in footwear

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

How do these people even pass high school math?

Artificially low prices make costs go up because... ?????
People will buy up all the seats on a flight out of a disaster area so they can have the plane all to themselves!
Everyone having access to basic supplies in a disaster is bad because they didn't properly pay for them!
Health savings accounts make prices go down because... people won't be able to afford current prices anymore!
New doctors will flood into a market with "costs next to nothing!" because.... "strategy"!
"Minimizing concerns about cost" of health care is bad!
More demand for health care is bad for increasing the supply of medical services because.... ?!?!?!?!

At least we can agree that reducing the cost of health care is a good goal. A Good Panel Of A Comic.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

After The War posted:

Who? There were tons of cartoons featuring Obama failing to fill the shoes of his immediate predecessors: Carter, Reagan, and uh... Margaret Thatcher.

EDIT - Branco went for the twofer!

Goddamn those shoes are the best thing Branco has ever drawn.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

From pages ago, but nobody's gonna comment on mcconnell in a diaper ??

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Paul Ryan's looking pretty content.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

FronzelNeekburm posted:

How do these people even pass high school math?

Artificially low prices make costs go up because... ?????
People will buy up all the seats on a flight out of a disaster area so they can have the plane all to themselves!
Everyone having access to basic supplies in a disaster is bad because they didn't properly pay for them!
Health savings accounts make prices go down because... people won't be able to afford current prices anymore!
New doctors will flood into a market with "costs next to nothing!" because.... "strategy"!
"Minimizing concerns about cost" of health care is bad!
More demand for health care is bad for increasing the supply of medical services because.... ?!?!?!?!

At least we can agree that reducing the cost of health care is a good goal. A Good Panel Of A Comic.
The comic is poorly framed but I'm pretty sure it's mocking people who hold those views, not agreeing with them. The text is the "exerpt", while the illustration/word bubbles are made to illustrate how ridiculous that claim actually is.

• Locked thread