Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

October is Spooky Snype Month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/915762122755330048

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The main thing that griped me about Watchmen the move was the fact that it totally missed the reason for the 'end of the world' denouement - the squid (I don't know if they could have made it work on screen but still) is meant to be completely outré and bring together humanity against a possible common foe, Doc Manhattan is an American Asset, just saying oops he's gone rogue sorry our bad is not going to defuse international tensions like at all.

I never really liked what the movie did to the scene with Rorschach and the pedophile. It painted completely different reactions to the character for him to just meatcleaver the guy in the head, as opposed to leaving him chained in the burning house with a hacksaw. Rorschach was a very messed up individual.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

they really should have drawn that scene out more. at least put some silence in the middle, between the intrinsic field separator accident and the first time he starts to reappear. give the story time to breathe.

watchmen would have done better as a miniseries i think

pretty sure they do this in the full-length directors cut thing,

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The main thing that griped me about Watchmen the move was the fact that it totally missed the reason for the 'end of the world' denouement - the squid (I don't know if they could have made it work on screen but still) is meant to be completely outré and bring together humanity against a possible common foe, Doc Manhattan is an American Asset, just saying oops he's gone rogue sorry our bad is not going to defuse international tensions like at all.

theres also not any real indication that the fake alien thing would have actually defused international tensions long term, veidt's been wrong about things plenty of times before. additionally itd have probably looked a bit ludicrous onscreen due to whole effect of seeing it for any appreciable length of screen time versus a few panels in the comicz

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

yeah that was lame as hell as well. i imagine anyone who watched that movie without being familiar with the source material came away confused as gently caress afterwards

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

theres also not any real indication that the fake alien thing would have actually defused international tensions long term, veidt's been wrong about things plenty of times before.

yes, doctor manhattan says as much to him right at the end

but the immediate result is exactly what veidt intended, and that's about the best you ever expect

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Allatum posted:

I never really liked what the movie did to the scene with Rorschach and the pedophile. It painted completely different reactions to the character for him to just meatcleaver the guy in the head, as opposed to leaving him chained in the burning house with a hacksaw. Rorschach was a very messed up individual.

i imagine there was resistance to doing it that way because it would have been seen as too similar to saw

the miniseries will have a hard time finding someone who is as good as jackie earl haley to play rorschach

another reason why having doctor manhattan as the cause of destruction rather than a random space squid doesn't work is because the space squid contains a kernel of absurdity that shows veidt still hadn't moved beyond the ridiculousness of superheroics

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The Watchmen movie was great until the opening credits finished.
ah, so you enjoyed the subtlety of a five minute montage of times changing while bob dylan informed us that the times, they are a-changing.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

that's some edgy loving art.

really makes u think

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

The arrangement is good but isn't it a little redundant that it makes a gun AND is made of guns?

Like at least give me a skull or a sad scene or something Christ

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Linguica posted:

ah, so you enjoyed the subtlety of a five minute montage of times changing while bob dylan informed us that the times, they are a-changing.

welcome to a zak snyder film

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

SmokaDustbowl posted:

read all three southern reach books. I liked authority best I think

i hold out hope we can take the trailer literally and assume that fat Bennedict Wong is going to be playing Control, even though that will never ever loving happen in a million years

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

im not a hardware guy, what's going on here beyond 'gee it shouldnt look like that'

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fritz posted:

im not a hardware guy, what's going on here beyond 'gee it shouldnt look like that'

The chip has hundreds of tiny pins, and properly fit they should just drop into the hundreds of tiny slots. For whatever reason that wasn't possible so somebody ran an individual wire from each pin to each slot. Probably it's impossible to work because in the 2nd picture that has to be shorting out in a millions spots, but also the timing is super precise and having different wire lengths would make the clock gently caress up really bad.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lol is that leeza gibbons

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I actually preferred the movie's version a lot. The space squid is some nonsense on a lot of levels, like why anyone would believe it's a thing, or why they were able to make a psychic thing at all and their use for it is to murder people. It introduces another supernatural element into a story that was pretty well built on only having one of those things, only in a way that manages to make even less sense.

Making Dr. Manhattan play the bad guy works really well thematically and is even halfway believable within the story.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

George posted:

I actually preferred the movie's version a lot. The space squid is some nonsense on a lot of levels, like why anyone would believe it's a thing, or why they were able to make a psychic thing at all and their use for it is to murder people. It introduces another supernatural element into a story that was pretty well built on only having one of those things, only in a way that manages to make even less sense.

Making Dr. Manhattan play the bad guy works really well thematically and is even halfway believable within the story.

I feel the same way and I think it works better like the ending of The Mist film works better than the story

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

The chip has hundreds of tiny pins, and properly fit they should just drop into the hundreds of tiny slots. For whatever reason that wasn't possible so somebody ran an individual wire from each pin to each slot. Probably it's impossible to work because in the 2nd picture that has to be shorting out in a millions spots, but also the timing is super precise and having different wire lengths would make the clock gently caress up really bad.

I like to imagine it's magnet wire in the second pic, because otherwise why even bother?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

though we can all agree throwing out the pirate story was the correct decision, right?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

George posted:

that was the point, veidt was still locked into a grandiose superheroic mentality despite what he thought so of course his master plan would still have a kernel of absurdity that would lend itself to having his plan potentially unraveled by the ravings of rorschach's journal in the hands of a fringe newspaper

the point wasn't that veidt won, the point was that veidt committed an atrocity for no reason other than his own delusional beliefs

pseudorandom name posted:

though we can all agree throwing out the pirate story was the correct decision, right?

it would have never worked in the movie (especially since zak snyder couldn't have done it justice) but it is a crucial plot element that explains veidt's folly

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Furia posted:

The arrangement is good but isn't it a little redundant that it makes a gun AND is made of guns?

Like at least give me a skull or a sad scene or something Christ

america: its guns all the way down

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Stymie posted:

that was the point, veidt was still locked into a grandiose superheroic mentality despite what he thought so of course his master plan would still have a kernel of absurdity that would lend itself to having his plan potentially unraveled by the ravings of rorschach's journal in the hands of a fringe newspaper

the point wasn't that veidt won, the point was that veidt committed an atrocity for no reason other than his own delusional beliefs

it would have never worked in the movie (especially since zak snyder couldn't have done it justice) but it is a crucial plot element that explains veidt's folly

Stymie is 100% correct in this post

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Linguica posted:

things don't have to be subtle to be entertaining

for instance, i love The Rock, and it's about the least subtle film ever made

George posted:

i generally agree with this, and think that making doctor manhattan the bad guy is a lot cleaner in most ways than the whole psychic space squid thing -- except doctor manhattan is a weapon operated by the united states. what happened in the end of the movie is equivalent to an american atomic bomb detonating in every major city worldwide and then the USA going "whoops, well, one of them went off in New York too, no harm no foul"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

ive said it before and ill say it again, stymie isn't wrong 100% of the time, it's just that he's the most wrong poster

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

pirate like yarrr! pirate?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

pirate like yarrr! pirate?

in the original watchmen's world superhero comic books are dead since superheroes now exist for real. pirate comics are the new hot thing. there's a parallel story taken from one of these pirate comics threaded throughout the book that echoes the themes the main story is using

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

haveblue posted:

in the original watchmen's world superhero comic books are dead since superheroes now exist for real. pirate comics are the new hot thing. there's a parallel story taken from one of these pirate comics threaded throughout the book that echoes the themes the main story is using

I watched an unbelievably long cut (like 4 hours!) that animated the entire pirate comic

it kinda screwed up the pacing of the movie even more so it's ok that it's only referenced indirectly in the other cuts

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DiggityDoink posted:

ive said it before and ill say it again, stymie isn't wrong 100% of the time, it's just that he's the most wrong poster

what - you have Shaggar on ignore or something?

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

gently caress i completely forgot about that

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

i liked tales from the black freighter as it was used in the comics but yeah not everything works when adapting to a film

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i thought they handled it appropriately, by making it an extra cartoon on the dvd you could watch if you felt like it

too bad it was an anime

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they should have made you

pirate it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
oklahoma: not all bad

https://twitter.com/Silodrome/status/916308629858291712

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

they should have made you

pirate it

:mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

yeah but still 99.9%

• Locked thread