Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Roth posted:

Every scene with Aquaman is trying way too hard to be cool

I don't hate what I've seen of Aquaman. If they can turn him into BatB Aquaman or Marvel's Herc, I'll be super happy. So, I don't know, maybe go on the assumption that he's perpetually drunk. Maybe surface levels of oxygen gently caress him up.

SonicRulez posted:

I don't like the dialogue. There's something about it that just doesn't feel...I dunno the word. Organic? I know that's incredibly vague and a bit dumb since it's obviously not, but it's supposed to feel like actual (fantastic) people talking to each other. Instead it felt like stilted video game dialogue. "Your ride ain't over yet." "My man!" Nah.

Here's what I'm thinking - right now, this team doesn't feel cohesive. It's amazingly a team of super heroes that somehow manages to be less than the sum of its parts. You can rag on the tired old argument of "Marvel made individual movies for each character before Avengers" and point out that Batman and Superman don't need their origin stories told again. And WW just had a very good movie tell her story. But, why do we care about Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman? Not in the scope of comics, but specifically within the contents of these trailers.

I had more, but it boils down to this: Part of the appeal of Avengers was "Here's all these heroes you saw previously in the movies you (mostly) liked fighting on the same side". JL is "Wonder Woman and a bad version of Batman have to find new friends after they got Superman killed"

Retro Futurist posted:

I'd say most of my disinterest comes from 90% of the DC film universe over the last decade or so

I can't honestly claim disinterest. I'm not hopeful that I'm going to be entertained, but I'm willing to have my mind changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Every time they release more stuff for Justice League, the worse it looks to me. I think we've sunk lower than Suicide Squad here.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure. I thought the last one looked really good (and whichever one had Bruce Wayne showing up in Barry's place and throwing a batarang at him - maybe that was the same one) but this one didn't enthuse me as much. I'm not sure why. I'll have to watch it a couple more times to see if I can figure out what it is.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jamesman posted:

Every time they release more stuff for Justice League, the worse it looks to me. I think we've sunk lower than Suicide Squad here.
It just looks like more of the same to be honest, except this time you're going to get more Whedon quips

Feels like the battle stuff is going to get the same kind of complaints Avengers got with the Chitauri but x1000

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

It just looks like more of the same to be honest, except this time you're going to get more Whedon quips

Feels like the battle stuff is going to get the same kind of complaints Avengers got with the Chitauri but x1000

The "foreign faceless horde invaders" trope is problematic yeah, but at least this time it actually feels more like an invasion of an alien army, instead of a few hundred dorks in cosplay outfit. The para-demons remind me more of a swarm of locusts or something. That, and the red skies, the way the landscape looks hellish, the infinite number of insectoid para-demons, all builds up to a very ominous and oppressive setting. This actually feels like an invasion.

That said, that scene seems to take place in a small town in bumfuck, Midwest US, which kinda lowers the stake a bit.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I really wish Snyder could have finished the movie the way he wanted :(

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

I really wish Snyder could have finished the movie the way he wanted :(

I'm hoping for a directors cut of this, but that's all up to Zack. He might just not want to do one. We'll see.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm honestly torn, because I'm either putting my faith in the guy we already know can't write Wonder Woman or the guy who made Sucker Punch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ha ha! Good jokes guys, that is a funny impression of idiots on other sites.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I wonder how small a role Cyborg has in this, because he's barely said or done a thing throughout all these trailers.

Also, even in death this version of Superman remains boring as gently caress.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

I'm honestly torn, because I'm either putting my faith in the guy we already know can't write Wonder Woman or the guy who made Sucker Punch.

I'm one of those few that liked Sucker Punch. Funnily enough, one of the points of Sucker Punch is that Whedons brand of feminism isn't actually empowering, it's at best an empty gesture and at worst a shallow veneer to cover up even more gross sexualization of women (which becomes even more poignant, when you learn Whedon is a creep), so for those two to team up on this was unexpected to say the least.

Having said that, dialouge is one of Snyders weaknesses, and one of Whedons strengths, while Whedon is terrible at cinematography, which Snyder excels at. If Whedon is smart enough to know his limits, then maybe they can complement each other.

But good grief, that 10-second gag about the bat signal was the worst.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There was a 500 page screaming match over sucker punch in cined so i don't really wanna get too deep into this, but even though i liked the dream action sequences i don't think you can really call it a feminist movie

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

New trailer looks dope, Superman standing in corn, Batfleck is awesome, Ezra Miller can quip all he wants and it looks like Aquaman is just there to be thrown around and crash into things.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JT Smiley posted:

I wonder how small a role Cyborg has in this, because he's barely said or done a thing throughout all these trailers.

Hawkeye barely did anything in avengers 2 but he was pretty much the breakout character there. I have a feeling theres a lot more Cyborg stuff than seems but the people making the trailer don't know it's good

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm still kinda surprised how much more I liked Hawkeye just by having that interlude with his family

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JT Smiley posted:

The Death and Rebirth of Superman is hard to get excited about when we haven't felt his absence. When he died in the comics it's not like DC stopped all its publishing. Readers experienced the DC universe without him. But in this case we're simply waiting for the next movie to come out with nothing happening in between. I'm sure in the actual movie he'll make a late and dramatic arrival but as for anticipating the movie it's not a big deal.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 8, 2017

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

site posted:

There was a 500 page screaming match over sucker punch in cined so i don't really wanna get too deep into this, but even though i liked the dream action sequences i don't think you can really call it a feminist movie

Sucker punch is one of those movies where the creators clearly had an idea that they wanted to express, but that might not come across quite so clear in the finished product. I would call it more a manifesto against the type of hollow feminism that tends to pop up in male-dominated media (videogames, sci fi, fantasy etc). The dream sequences in of themselves are not feminist, but they are a part of the critique the Snyders were making against media where you have a badass girl in a thong outfit gleefully murdering people.

Like you said, this isn't cined, so I won't go too deep into this either (even though its fun!) but I absolutely feel SP was underrated and misunderstood. A lot of people called it sexist when it very specifically railed against sexism, so I dunno, it's either one of those movies you can appreciate what the message was, or not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

The Death and Rebirth of Superman is hard to get excited about when we haven't felt his absence. When he died in the comics it's not like DC stopped all its publishing. Readers experienced the DC universe without him. But in this case we're simply waiting for the next movie to come out with nothing happening in between. I'm sure in the actual movie he'll make a late and dramatic arrival but as for anticipating the movie it's not a big deal.

They actually did put the books on hiatus after he died.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

There wasn't nothing until he was revived is what I mean. Other DC stories continued. The Reign of the Superman story had to finish first. It's not like stories were missing. Superman was missing from the stories.

In the movies we've only had Wonder Woman come out between Superman's death and return and that movie was set before Superman was ever around in the first place.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Funeral For a Friend started up like right after #75 in November 1992.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Hawkeye barely did anything in avengers 2 but he was pretty much the breakout character there. I have a feeling theres a lot more Cyborg stuff than seems but the people making the trailer don't know it's good

Hawkeye sat out of a lot of the first Avengers movie, but he does quite a bit in the second one. That's how he ended up breaking out as a character.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Batfleck is awesome,

I like Batfleck in a bubble, but I don't think I'll ever get used to a Batman so heavily associated with bullets. It was weird to get that slow-mo shell casing shot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SonicRulez posted:

I don't like the dialogue. There's something about it that just doesn't feel...I dunno the word. Organic? I know that's incredibly vague and a bit dumb since it's obviously not, but it's supposed to feel like actual (fantastic) people talking to each other. Instead it felt like stilted video game dialogue. "Your ride ain't over yet." "My man!" Nah.

I agree, but also that's something that that trailers have a lot of trouble showing even when they're trying to. When you're doing quick cuts of what looks cool, the flow of everything's going to look disjointed and you get one-liners with no context.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Roth posted:

Every scene with Aquaman is trying way too hard to be cool

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Superman and Corn. Name a more iconic duo, I'll wait.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Superman and kryptonite?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

TheManWithNoName posted:

Superman and Corn. Name a more iconic duo, I'll wait.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Why do I visit this forum?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think I liked the former trailer better, but this is okay too. I don't think the dialogue is inorganic, exactly, as much as it feels inorganic for...well, this franchise. Most of these exchanges would have stuck out like a sore thumb during MoS or BvS, and maybe even during WW.

McCloud posted:

I'm one of those few that liked Sucker Punch. Funnily enough, one of the points of Sucker Punch is that Whedons brand of feminism isn't actually empowering, it's at best an empty gesture and at worst a shallow veneer to cover up even more gross sexualization of women (which becomes even more poignant, when you learn Whedon is a creep)

McCloud posted:

The dream sequences in of themselves are not feminist, but they are a part of the critique the Snyders were making against media where you have a badass girl in a thong outfit gleefully murdering people.
People keep calling Sucker Punch some sort of 10th-dimensional sick burn against Whedon but this always ends up coming across kinda forced because that specific sequence you brought up at the end there has literally never happened in absolutely anything Whedon has ever written.

What's ironic here is that Sucker Punch then falls into fridging its female characters in spectacularly disempowering ways, which actually is one of the most persistent Whedon sins around which Snyder just...bluntly, nakedly reproduces.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do Snyder and Whedon have some kind of rivalry I've never heard of? :confused:

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I like Batfleck in a bubble, but I don't think I'll ever get used to a Batman so heavily associated with bullets. It was weird to get that slow-mo shell casing shot.

yeah he's normally just associated with brain damage and paralysis

and bombs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn_FMsoTkGY

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Geez, what an eyesore.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SleepCousinDeath posted:

yeah he's normally just associated with brain damage and paralysis

and bombs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn_FMsoTkGY

I know I'm taking massive bait here, but I can't let you pretend Batman Returns is some kind of definitive take on Batman. It's not. You know, if Joe Chill had karate'd the Waynes to death, I'd be all in on Bat-Punisher.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do Snyder and Whedon have some kind of rivalry I've never heard of? :confused:
I'm gonna say there's one that's 100% envisioned by the fans. They're almost diametrically-different types of writer/directors who ended up helming two opposing comic universes' franchise-establishing films, so there's definitely been a CHOOSE YOUR SIDE kinda vibe on the internet that lotsa folks have fallen into (including myself).

In the case of Sucker Punch, people like to project its whole "hot girls kicking rear end is not actually empowering" message onto Whedon's works despite it not really fitting, and despite Snyder (to my knowledge) having given no indication that it was ever supposed to be an indictment of Whedon specifically.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I know I'm taking massive bait here, but I can't let you pretend Batman Returns is some kind of definitive take on Batman. It's not. You know, if Joe Chill had karate'd the Waynes to death, I'd be all in on Bat-Punisher.

You're right, the definitive take on Batman is the run done by Doug Moench and Kelley Jones.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SleepCousinDeath posted:

You're right, the definitive take on Batman is the run done by Doug Moench and Kelley Jones.

Actually it's Neil Adam's Batman Odyssey

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Actually it's Neil Adam's Batman Odyssey

It's a contender for sure.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I would love to see that on film, I love their nightmare gothic style. I have no idea how it'd actually work in live-action, but I'd love to see them try.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In general, there seems to be a desire to credit Snyder with more auteur credit than he may or may not deserve.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

I think I liked the former trailer better, but this is okay too. I don't think the dialogue is inorganic, exactly, as much as it feels inorganic for...well, this franchise. Most of these exchanges would have stuck out like a sore thumb during MoS or BvS, and maybe even during WW.

People keep calling Sucker Punch some sort of 10th-dimensional sick burn against Whedon but this always ends up coming across kinda forced because that specific sequence you brought up at the end there has literally never happened in absolutely anything Whedon has ever written.

What's ironic here is that Sucker Punch then falls into fridging its female characters in spectacularly disempowering ways, which actually is one of the most persistent Whedon sins around which Snyder just...bluntly, nakedly reproduces.

This isn't 10-dimensional sick burn, it's plain text in the movie. It's not against Whedon specifically, but against the brand of "feminism" he uses in his shows or movies.
That "specific sequence" was hyperbole, it doesn't even happen in the movie itself. The point I was making, is that the women, even in these badass fantasy lands, are still being used for the benefit of men and their sexuality. These scenes literally occur while these women are forced to placate mens sexual appetites by doing dirty dances. The meaning being, that just because you have a strong woman who can kill hordes of zombie nazis, doesn't mean it's not objectifying women, because it's still being done for the benefit of men, under the male gaze.

The killing of its female characters also has a purpose, I think. The womens plan fails because it's a plan based on using their sexuality as a weapon against men (after all, in a world where women have no other use of leveraging themselves, they will use sex), but ultimately, using sex as a weapon is still playing the game set by a patriarchal culture. It's saying "your only value to society is by being sexy". Babydoll wins because she, in the end, refuses to play the game, and instead, through love and sacrifice (traditionally seen as womanly traits) gets what she wants, i.e justice for the girls and justice for her sister.

Admittedly, it's been years since I saw the movie, so I might have gotten a few details wrong, but that's what I remember of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

In general, there seems to be a desire to credit Snyder with more auteur credit than he may or may not deserve.

And also the complete opposite.

All we can be sure of is Snyder isn't being given the just right amount of credit.

• Locked thread