Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The stealth never worked, you always just used your ring to kill everything. Ignis and Gladio path is new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RagnarokAngel posted:

While I don't hate Saint's Row I didn't think we needed 2 crime games like that
One would be nice though. I really like SR4 and GOoH, but if they made another game like SR2 I would literally throw all my money at them.

muscles like this! posted:

GTA4 actually had an in story explanation for how this could happen. When you would shoot guys in 4 they would go down but given a couple of minutes they would get back up again and stumble away from the scene. So basically you weren't really killing anyone, you were just shooting them until they gave up. Of course you could just shoot them again after the get up and they would stay down permanently.
I've played that game and watched a full let's play of it and I never noticed that. :aaa:

Inco posted:

In the same vein, I gave Shadowrun Returns another shot after bouncing off it pretty hard a few years back and got super into it. Unfortunately, a bug that's been noted since 2014 has hit me and the game softlocks in one of the combat scenes. What happens is that my runner is selected, but can't move, can't take actions, and can't switch runners. The only solution I've seen has been pretty much "reload and hope it doesn't break this time", but it's occurred 5 times in a row and I'm kind of sick of relying on luck to even keep the game running. My previous save was a ways back and I'm not going through it all again on the hope that it doesn't break again. I'll just pick up Dragonfall and Hong Kong during the next Steam sale and play those, since I'm kind of super itching for more action like that.
Dragonfall and Hong Kong are better games anyway, and if you ever feel like going back to Dead Man's Switch you can play it in Dragonfall, which improves it a bit. But they do still have those same kind of bugs (as well as less serious ones).

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Mr. Flunchy posted:

So wait, if I die against the Empire in X-Wing my character is captured and I can never use that save game again?

God drat game you are kinda fun but you are a harsh loving mistress.
You can keep playing if you die or get captured. You have to click a button to revive yourself on the profile menu, and all that does is reset your score, which doesn't have any relevance to the gameplay. You don't lose any progress.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Normally when your craft is destroyed in X-Wing and TIE Fighter, you eject and you get treated to a cutscenes of you getting medical assistance, and you try again. If your ejector system is damaged, you die, you get shown your funeral, and your total campaign score resets. If you eject near an enemy craft (especially in X-Wing it seemed), there's a chance you'll be captured.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

picked up Transistor on sale recently and have been playing through it. my game crashed right before the final boss--i'm still not certain if that was an intentional trick pulled by the game or not--but now every time i start the final boss fight none of my attack commands work. i can move around and activate Turn() but i literally cannot attack the boss, neither with my gamepad or mouse and keyboard. oh, i can drop Load() packets, but with none of my other attacks working, there's no way to detonate them, so i can't hurt the boss and they slowly just whittle away my life while talking like an idiot.
Yeah, that's a bug.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't like that I got bad at video games. I used to be good at them but Jesus Christ. I got Prey from gamefly and I just hit the Talos 1 lobby at the beginning and if I don't get murdered by the phantom I get swarmed by mimics. I feel like a few years ago I would be having no problems at all :negative:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Len posted:

I don't like that I got bad at video games. I used to be good at them but Jesus Christ. I got Prey from gamefly and I just hit the Talos 1 lobby at the beginning and if I don't get murdered by the phantom I get swarmed by mimics. I feel like a few years ago I would be having no problems at all :negative:

Naw youre fine. The games pretty harsh early on, even on normal. Like system shock 2 that it descends from it has like a reverse difficulty curve.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Len posted:

As age and decades of drug abuse further erode my reaction time I find myself enjoying tactical turn based games more and more.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

These days I find my brain/reflexes take a lot longer to switch gears from one game's button layout to another. Source: the half hour I spent dying to the first enemies in Yarnham despite having Platinum'd Bloodborne, because my hands are still trying to play Witcher III. You pick it up again eventually but it's a pain in the meantime.

Speaking of Witcher III, there's a glitch in the Hearts of Stone expansion that renders a blueprint-gathering quest unwinnable. One of the chests that should contain a blueprint sometimes... doesn't. For no particular reason. Still hasn't been patched yet, either. It would annoy me less if you could craft the other pieces, but no, you need to collect them all. Welp.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Prey's earlier game works a lot better when you overcome the mental roadblock of immediately fighting everything you encounter. It's a game built around running back and forth across the space station over the entire time with your character growing more powerful and things constantly changing due to plot progression, once you accept that it's OK to just not go into a room full of phantoms and come back later when you're more powerful a lot of the frustration vanishes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

Phantoms are super rough early on and usually, before you really start getting the goods to take them out, there will be environment traps to kill them. Like explosive tanks or fire jets. I remember at one point I was carrying turrets around to defend me, expecting them to kill phantoms. I entered a new room and BAM, two phantoms. The turret died in less than a second. So did I.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Prey's earlier game works a lot better when you overcome the mental roadblock of immediately fighting everything you encounter. It's a game built around running back and forth across the space station over the entire time with your character growing more powerful and things constantly changing due to plot progression, once you accept that it's OK to just not go into a room full of phantoms and come back later when you're more powerful a lot of the frustration vanishes.

Though sometimes the game seems intent on loving me over even then. I was scooting about the living quarters for the first time, picking up the various snippets of of voice recordings. At one point my two avenues of progression were locked behind fairly difficult fights: One would spawn in a whole bunch of upgraded phantoms that could seemingly snoop me out no matter where I hid, the other had me go up against a Telepath that can tank like a hundred shotgun shells. I had not nearly enough ammo for either of those fights, so it was time for some scrounging.

Only problem was that the fabricator on this level was locked behind one of those fights. So I went back to the previous area to use the fabricator there. But as it turned out not only were there one or two unavoidable phantoms right in my way, draining the rest of my ammo, the loving Nightmare was squatting literally right in front of the door to the room with the fabricator. So I went back another area down to the drat lobby, and would you expect it, there's a bunch of phantoms and a weaver roaming around the elevator. I basically just sprinted right past those guys into the safety of the office, and finally got around to making some ammo. Which with all the stuff I'd gathered along the way worked out to like 5 packets of shotgun shells and one or two for the taser, so really not all that much in the grand scheme of things.

So back to the elevator, but as it turned out the phantoms had ended up clustered around it in such a way that there was no way for me to sneak into it unseen. And as I learned the hard way, the elevator will refuse to operate when there are hostile enemies around. So I had to take out that bunch as well, which apart from being a pretty hard fight in general ate up like a third of my freshly crafted ammo. Once that was done I took the elevator back up, and upon arriving saw two more phantoms ambling about near the exit.

At that point I decided to take a break from the game, because goddamn. Constantly respawning very tanky enemies and fairly scarce ammo is a pretty unfortunate combination. It's pretty disheartening when my first thought upon seeing an enemy is not "how do I best approach this fight?" but rather "gently caress this is gonna set me back so much ammo".

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Perestroika posted:

respawning very tanky enemies and fairly scarce ammo is a pretty unfortunate combination.

Stun, GLOO or otherwise disable them for a massive bonus.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inco posted:

I also never finished Transistor because the game crashed (apparently) right before the end boss and wiped my save. It was the second time it had happened, too, although the first time was fairly early on and I only lost a little bit of time.

In the same vein, I gave Shadowrun Returns another shot after bouncing off it pretty hard a few years back and got super into it. Unfortunately, a bug that's been noted since 2014 has hit me and the game softlocks in one of the combat scenes. What happens is that my runner is selected, but can't move, can't take actions, and can't switch runners. The only solution I've seen has been pretty much "reload and hope it doesn't break this time", but it's occurred 5 times in a row and I'm kind of sick of relying on luck to even keep the game running. My previous save was a ways back and I'm not going through it all again on the hope that it doesn't break again. I'll just pick up Dragonfall and Hong Kong during the next Steam sale and play those, since I'm kind of super itching for more action like that.

A similar problem is stopping me from beating Torment: Numenara. The engine chugs super hard during combat, and the last fight has so many dudes in the fight that it inevitably soft locks 80% of the way through. That happened to me three times and then I gave up. Maybe they've fixed it by now though, I dunno.

Dragonfall and Hong Kong are pretty much the same thing as returns but a lot better, just play those.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Falcom's Legend of Heroes games are great. Like really great.

But both Trails in the Sky, and Trails of Cold Steel have this theme of "I want to gently caress my adopted sibling" running through them. Is that like... a Japanese thing, or just these games? It's a culture shock I'm not absorbing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

That's an anime thing alright

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah, in the United States it's loving your stepsiblings instead, much more civilized.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Captain Lavender posted:

Falcom's Legend of Heroes games are great. Like really great.

But both Trails in the Sky, and Trails of Cold Steel have this theme of "I want to gently caress my adopted sibling" running through them. Is that like... a Japanese thing, or just these games? It's a culture shock I'm not absorbing.

Incest is such a thing in japan that even adopted siblings want to get in on the fad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah, in the United States it's loving your stepsiblings instead, much more civilized.

Hey, it makes for great television. Can't believe Arrested Development was three years ago. And that the Flash tv show stumbled and broke its leg so quickly.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

And that the Flash tv show stumbled and broke its leg so quickly.

Still limping ahead into an incest wedding for this season if promos are to be believed!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Still limping ahead into an incest wedding for this season if promos are to be believed!

Oh good, I'm glad to hear that they're still charging ahead on that decision.

Honestly, I clocked out after season Zoom.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[quote="“RareAcumen”" post="“477204756”"]
Hey, it makes for great television. Can’t believe Arrested Development was three years ago. And that the Flash tv show stumbled and broke its leg so quickly.
[/quote]
The first season was some great TV though.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Leal posted:

Incest is such a thing in japan that even adopted siblings want to get in on the fad.

Game of Thrones ain't Japanese, so Western culture ain't exactly innocent either.

Edit: Should've hit F5. Guess there's lots of examples.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MiddleOne posted:

Wait this is a TV show about a dude that runs fast, right? I've never seen it so maybe it derails after a little bit.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Phantoms are super rough early on and usually, before you really start getting the goods to take them out, there will be environment traps to kill them. Like explosive tanks or fire jets. I remember at one point I was carrying turrets around to defend me, expecting them to kill phantoms. I entered a new room and BAM, two phantoms. The turret died in less than a second. So did I.

This except it was a Technopath, which immediately hacked my own turrets and killed me with them.

It was awesome, Prey owns and is the game I've been waiting for since SS2.

For actual constructive tips, foaming enemies and then beating them to death with your wrench is surprisingly effective and conserves ammo, and once you have the Psyscope you (a) can scan enemies to get information about other vulnerabilities and (b) unlock a bunch of other options for dealing with them. And yeah, Phantoms are loving nasty in the early game. Exploit environmental hazards, foam them, lure them into turrets or just sneak past.

Like SS2, the early game has you constantly on the verge of running out of ammo and scrambling for any advantage you can get, and the late game has you striding through the station casually erasing enemies in passing that would have counted as bossfights earlier.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Wait this is a TV show about a dude that runs fast, right? I've never seen it so maybe it derails after a little bit.

It's now actually about a guy that runs really fast going through tons of melodrama about his adoptive sister which he dates, is engaged to and was going to marry before a lot of stupid villain stuff happened. A female friend keeps telling me how it's all very romantic and I'm a jerk for thinking the show is garbage.

I might be exaggerating just a tad but believe me when I say the show is worse than ever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

The short and dirty of it is that the Flash's mom gets killed by the Reverse Flash, his dad goes to jail because none of the cops believe the child that his father didn't kill her and it was the yellow lightning tornado instead. So a good friend of his dad's takes him in because otherwise it'd probably be foster care or something and he's got a crush on his daughter and that continues forever throughout the series. And that's how the adoptive sister romance is created.

Oh by the way, it's by the CW.

Content: The Superstar Saga remake severely hosed up the battle theme.

Old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOC0ig2Rk1g&t=13s

New: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5XOJcYf97I

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Samus Returns you added an actual boss other than the final boss, so congrats on possibly the worst boss in the franchise* and Im counting metroid pinball here. You took the tedium of “if you dont counter the fight is extremely long” from the earlier fights but said gently caress it to the counter part and just made it boringly long.

No Mercury Stream, a boss should not do three different attacks only one of which it can be hurt during which unlocks another mechanic which if you botch you have to sit through the attacks again. If this how you make the boss, sure as heck dont make it three phases long where in the final phase you have to cycle through its pattern of 3 attacks multiple times because you cant deal enough damage to push it out of the cycle in one rotation. Worse yet, dont make it so its very, very likely the player wont finish off the boss even if they do this requiring the player to sit through a minimum of 6 more unchanged attack patterns just for another shot at killing the boss.

Did I mention the hit box is very touchy and doesnt align to when the electricty is off/the pieces stop moving and if you get hit it pushes you out of the area to hit the boss so back to waiting through its attacks.

*I am not counting Other M’s notorious find the pixel boss because thats a puzzle not a fight.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

RareAcumen posted:

Content: The Superstar Saga remake severely hosed up the battle theme.

Is that actually just a straight remake of the game? I heard about the extra stuff, and I'm wondering if it's worth picking up.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Playing Prey and enemies are just seeing me through walls. Awesome.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Futuresight posted:

You make noise when you walk or run and they can hear you.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Futuresight posted:

whisper "shhhh" to your shoes to ensure your footsteps are silent

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
No I was literally crouched in place on a save and about 10 seconds after I load it enemies start seeing me through the walls and running after me. I can run away and hide again and their detection will go down a tick, then in it will go back up to full detection in a few seconds again without me moving.

Had to book it out of the zone. Haven't bothered to return to see if it's still a problem, but it's not a problem in this other zone.

There was a nightmare in the zone if that changes behaviour to a zone-wide aggro tick.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Is that actually just a straight remake of the game? I heard about the extra stuff, and I'm wondering if it's worth picking up.

If you haven't played Superstar Saga or really liked it a lot, I'd say it is, yeah. The game lets you save anywhere and fast forward text and animations. That's a pretty big selling point on its own.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Okay yeah, it seems like aggro gets all buggy if you save close enough to an enemy through the wall while crouched as I'm now getting it again in another place. It's really weird because it's not an instant aggro like you'd expect if it was like, moving you right as it loaded or didn't load in the wall before testing aggro, etc.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Futuresight posted:

There was a nightmare in the zone if that changes behaviour to a zone-wide aggro tick.

That may very well be the case, I'm pretty sure the Nightmare always hones in on you if you have Typhoid neuromods so I wouldn't be surprised if it effected other enemies as well.

Speaking of Prey, the division of Human and Typhoid neuromods bugged me. Between the plot and the achievements the game actively encourages you to do playthroughs where you exclusively focus on either Human or Typhoid abilities but both have pretty serious drawbacks; Typhoid-only runs get it especially bad because the Human tree controls the amount of Psi energy you can have yet every major Typhoid ability is based around consuming Psi. Also Human abilities have a monopoly on increasing your inventory size and the efficacy of healing items, so Typhoid players can carry less items in a game built almost entirely around hoovering up items and recycling them into base materials and also makes it so that what few healing items you can carry are weaker. And inversely, as a Human player the entire Psychoscope system is pointless since it doesn't provide passive buffs like research abilities in SS2/Bioshock did and the back half of the game is just dull stat boosts on your guns and near-worthless turrets instead of rad powers and useful conjured allies.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

RareAcumen posted:

If you haven't played Superstar Saga or really liked it a lot, I'd say it is, yeah. The game lets you save anywhere and fast forward text and animations. That's a pretty big selling point on its own.

Fuckin' A. I loved that poo poo.

For actual content, in GTAV, gently caress the sub.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
lmao, GTAV. Oh man every character in that game except Trevor sucks. The worst part is that stupid torture scene, its so dumb where you loving electrocute some jackass' nipples, rip out a tooth, and yet the part where he exclaims "THIS IS TORTURE!" is when you waterboard him. why yes, this IS torture, that's why i've been beating the everloving poo poo out of you!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
GTAV wasn't a very good game but it was a fascinating piece of art in that it's a bunch of middle-aged game developers who are rapidly becoming old and irrelevant working through their midlife crises by making a game about a bunch of middle-aged criminals who are are trying to fight back against being old and irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Futuresight posted:

No I was literally crouched in place on a save and about 10 seconds after I load it enemies start seeing me through the walls and running after me. I can run away and hide again and their detection will go down a tick, then in it will go back up to full detection in a few seconds again without me moving.

Had to book it out of the zone. Haven't bothered to return to see if it's still a problem, but it's not a problem in this other zone.

Nightmare, if it spots you, actually can sic other enemies on you IIRC. It'll roar and that just pisses the gently caress out of mimics who will charge you from across half the drat zone to eat your face.