Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Rinkles posted:

What is the deal with mats not being auto pickup? Gems I can sort of understand because they take up inventory space, but not materials.

They did take up inventory space until the last major patch (or 2 patches ago?), slow progress... At least they've got an AoE pickup and don't use inventory space now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I bet there's a bunch of QoL improvements I take for granted

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
In vanilla, we had to have rare items identified too. The Book of Cain was not in the game from the beginning and we had to identify every item one at a time. I can't remember what patch they brought that in.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
"But players love the tension of identifying items!!"

Not when the items are useless garbage 99.9999999% of the time, Jay.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, I assumed those were lessons learned from a decade of Diablo 2. At least they did away with scrolls.

There's probably something lost with excessive streamlining, but these are smart change imo.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Toshimo posted:

The problem is that you are tying Smart Loot and the RMAH together. They weren't part of the same design decisions.

They most certainly were. Smart loot would have gutted the real money market by flooding it. The current WoW-style scenario where only people who were present for a drop can trade it is what allows for smart loot.

Dross fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 7, 2017

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Rinkles posted:

I bet there's a bunch of QoL improvements I take for granted

D3 is basically an entirely different game than it was at launch. The simple fact that you can find a full set of gear that matches and has decent stats was a complete impossibility. They carried over the normal-nightmare-hell difficulty setting from D2, plus an inferno difficulty that was a ridiculous grind for casual players at max level. Then there were a bunch of small things, like the fact that potions were consumables and had different sizes, or that crafting mats had tiers based on the difficulty. And of course, no adventure mode, so the only way to hunt for gear was to find a good spot in the campaign and grind it over and over.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Huh, I assumed all those smart little decisions were because Blizzard had smart designers, not because they were all patched in over time. Still, few games get this sort of continued support years after release.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 7, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How do you redeem seasonal rewards? The green message icon isn't showing up. I have a level 70 barbarian now

e:Oh, it's only for the first character? This is misleading

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 7, 2017

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah you only get one set of Haedrig's Gift bags per season, the other cosmetics etc. are account wide but you need to choose your 1st class then hope you get a few off class drops for your next one.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

e:Oh, it's only for the first character? This is misleading

Yup, only one per season.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Finally sat down and got the Two Minute Warning achievement with my Necromancer today. Took longer then I would have liked, I kinda felt like I was just at the mercy of the Rift generation.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

CubeTheory posted:

Took longer then I would have liked, I kinda felt like I was just at the mercy of the Rift generation.
That's because you pretty much are.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

That's because you pretty much are.

Speaking of QoL changes, I wish there was the option of closing an active rift without having to leave and remake the game.

Even if it was only an option for solo games.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 8, 2017

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

It really could just be a dialog option when the rift is open, with a confirmation box.

But honestly leave and remake is just as fast.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Minor QoL improvement I'd like: some sort of indicator that you've already extracted an item's Cube power. Also make Bounty waypoints appear immediately, ffs.

I finally got an ancient HPS. It's pretty bad (every roll is in the lower bound) but better than what I had previously (like I mentioned before, I accidentally salvaged my old okay one). What should I reroll?

Area Damage to Critical Chance?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
[quote="“Rinkles”" post="“477173237”"]
Minor QoL improvement I’d like: some sort of indicator that you’ve already extracted an item’s Cube power. Also make Bounty waypoints appear immediately, ffs.

I finally got an ancient HPS. It’s pretty bad (every roll is in the lower bound) but better than what I had previously (like I mentioned before, I accidentally salvaged my old okay one). What should I reroll?

[/quote]

The orange diamond by the legendary affix in an items text box will appear solid if you have cubes it or hollown if you haven't.

For example I can tell that you have Holy Point Shot in your cube because the diamond is solid in that image.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

The orange diamond by the legendary affix in an items text box will appear solid if you have cubes it or hollown if you haven't.

For example I can tell that you have Holy Point Shot in your cube because the diamond is solid in that image.

Haha, I was wondering what that indicated. Thanks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
[quote="“Rinkles”" post="“477173341”"]
Haha, I was wondering what that indicated. Thanks.
[/quote]

Dude we were screaming hallelujah from the mountains in this thread when someone figured that out. I seem to recall it wasn't even listed in the patch notes at the time.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Krysbin's Sentence is real. I found it. I cubed it.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA it happened, it really happened.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rinkles posted:

Minor QoL improvement I'd like: some sort of indicator that you've already extracted an item's Cube power. Also make Bounty waypoints appear immediately, ffs.

I finally got an ancient HPS. It's pretty bad (every roll is in the lower bound) but better than what I had previously (like I mentioned before, I accidentally salvaged my old okay one). What should I reroll?

That's what I would do or Vit if you're feeling like toughness isn't a big issue (which for that build it usually isn't), but I'm a filthy casual.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Keep vitality and roll off area damage because it's completely useless to shadow.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Whaaaaatt :aaaaa:

That'll make things easier at end of season when I'm trying to sort everything out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Suspicious posted:

Keep vitality and roll off area damage because it's completely useless to shadow.

I wish the game explained these things better.

e:found one basically strictly better

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 9, 2017

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Has the season needed yet?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Has the season needed yet?
S11 ends October 20th; S12 starts on November 9th.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Just cleared GR75 solo with my bonestorm necro. Finding a Wisdom of Kalan with 17% cold damage and then an absolutely bonkers SOJ with 28% elite damage, +17 max essence, 482 int, and 19% cold damage upped my damage a ton and I went from struggling to clear GR73 in time to doing 75 with 3 minutes to spare. Should be able to get my stash tab pretty easy now, hooray!

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Got my first BIS primal today.

Fresh barb, aiming for ZDPS shout n scout Support. (alot of the pieces I already have with int, so being able to carry some of weight in t6 to gear into soloing GRs is the goal here)

Was currently just using a witching hour that didnt have a main stat on it that I found with my necro.

Gambled 750ish shards and the very very last 25 shards put a Primal Chilaniks Chain in my inventory. Rolled Weapen throw and life per fury spent though. Other happier stats were STR and Vitality which I am pretty sure is far from opitimal but still very very useable.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 9, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Unless I didn't notice, I have yet to see a primal item.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

Unless I didn't notice, I have yet to see a primal item.

Have you beaten GR 70?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

[quote="“Star Man”" post="“477229022”"]
Have you beaten GR 70?
[/quote]

Yeah

They only drop in GRs?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

Yeah

They only drop in GRs?

No, they just have the chance to drop anywhere once you beat GR 70 that season. They're pretty rare and the two that I have seen were on bad items.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I would've done it earlier if I knew. Didn't realize there was anything special about that number.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
1 in [34]00 is about normal. My first primal in the season never drops in the normal range. It's always been pushing 500 for the first drop.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Star Man posted:

No, they just have the chance to drop anywhere once you beat GR 70 that season. They're pretty rare and the two that I have seen were on bad items.

:smug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

As much as I have grown to like Diablo 3, what is missing for me is a sense of adventure and journey. It's all about the end game, and the climb there is pretty boring. Once there, most of the focus is on assembling sets of equipment and then perfecting them. There's very little excitement in any individual drop.

The structure of adventure mode incentivizes just rerunning rifts. It's the most efficient way of finding good loot and growing your character. Which is fine for what it is, but like I said, it lacks any sense of adventure. There are bounties, but fast traveling from task to task isn't actually terribly exciting, and soon becomes tedious.

I'd love some mysterious dungeons to explore.

What I'm getting at isn't that I hate how Diablo 3 does things, like I said I like it but it's not what I was expecting and I'd appreciate a game with a more traditional approach. Complementing it. I'm not quitting D3.

With that out of the way, anyone want to offer any thoughts on Grim Dawn? (Or other suggestions)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I really like Grim Dawn as a change of pace but again you are running the same stuff a bunch of times. The new expansion comes out tomorrow I think.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, Grim Dawn is definitely a change of pace. It also, much more than Diablo 3, is prone to your character having real peaks and troughs in power.
Word is the new classes coming with the expansion will expand the range of fun + viable builds by a lot. Which sounds great.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I did a little more pushing and got to 105 before getting sick of it with my necro, probably going to put this on the back burner until the patch. I'm excited for the buffs to other classes and builds but rathma getting a rather large buff while already being this good makes me wonder a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I think they're aiming to put most builds on par with current Trag'Oul which tops out at 115-120 if I recall.