Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I maintain that noise marines are the best thing in this stupid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
I've been puttering on this dude for a few weeks; he seems pretty rad to me. There's a little bit of GS work to do, now that I see him all blown-up.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

chutche2 posted:

I maintain that noise marines are the best thing in this stupid game.

They need to give noise marines their guitars back.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
For the longest time I had the Noise Marine voice lines from DoW2 as my various phone tones and I was a happy nerd.

I should go stick them on this phone.

THIS QUIET OFFENDS SLAANESH.
THINGS WILL GET LOUD NOW.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

Cainer posted:

They need to give noise marines their guitars back.

They're third party, but I ordered some because I needed Noise Marines for my Black Metal Crusade.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Are the Build + Paint termos compatible with more recent terminator arms and/or legs?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Are the Build + Paint termos compatible with more recent terminator arms and/or legs?
Have you even looked at them?

No. They're ancient plastics straight from 2nd edition.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
The Landspeeder might be worth it. The Termies really don't seem to be.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Broken Record Talk posted:

The Landspeeder might be worth it. The Termies really don't seem to be.

Yeah, but landspeeders are cheap enough that the time and money you'd put into it to buy some actual weapons for the thing would be better spent just getting a land speeder box, unless you happen to have the bits already. The landspeeder from that build and play is only shown with the heavy bolter and that's probably all it comes with.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

What is wrong with you guys? You guy buy the full Calth terminator sets for around 30 shipped , and they look amazing and not trash.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Yeah, but landspeeders are cheap enough that the time and money you'd put into it to buy some actual weapons for the thing would be better spent just getting a land speeder box, unless you happen to have the bits already. The landspeeder from that build and play is only shown with the heavy bolter and that's probably all it comes with.

I'm pretty sure its the same kit they had in the 3rd ed starter so yeah, just the heavy bolter.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

I'm pretty sure its the same kit they had in the 3rd ed starter so yeah, just the heavy bolter.
If so, hahahahahaha. Those build and paint sets are targeted towards kids and they're trying to sell them that loving thing?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

BirdieBedtime posted:

I've been puttering on this dude for a few weeks; he seems pretty rad to me. There's a little bit of GS work to do, now that I see him all blown-up.

Holy gently caress this guy looks amazing. Very nice.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Question. Is it listed anywhere what kits or bits went into each of the custom regiments in the new guard book?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

If so, hahahahahaha. Those build and paint sets are targeted towards kids and they're trying to sell them that loving thing?

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't charging standard Games Workshop prices for it. The whole thing reeks of Kirby.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Safety Factor posted:

Have you even looked at them?

No. They're ancient plastics straight from 2nd edition.

They own so hard

Arven posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't charging standard Games Workshop prices for it. The whole thing reeks of Kirby.

It's like $35 for a Dreadnought + Terminator squad, paint, glue, and brush??
:confused:

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 9, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Current progress on my inceptors. Pretty close to being done, I think I'll redo the sergeant's head. Wanted to try yellow on the sergeants since it's an imperial fists successor but it doesn't look very good. Also need to work on the highlighting some.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can definitely use the new Terminator arms with the old bodies. They'll look a little short, but you can cheat the height by using card to lengthen the torso and lift the boots if it bothers you.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Artum posted:

If that's the case, that's a poo poo deal. I didn't start until the tail end of 5th Ed., so I missed those lovely kits. Sounds like there's no reason at all to get those, then.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I love the idea of them being the embodiment of excess and intensity. Andrew WK instead of S&M. Purge the whole daemon line and replace them with stuff that's fun, crazy, and designed to make everyone around them better with crazy aura effects. Basically everything is a giant, fun loving party that never stops.

Not even Andrew WK should be more Andrew WK. I'm an Emperor's Children player, and I'd rather have them squatted before that.

I think it would be rad as hell to have them be more like that dude with the flaming guitar from the new Mad Max movie, rather than anime boobs. I imagine my army being a hellish choir of sensation, giddy about making things bleed with beautiful and ornate, golden claws and weapons like opulent demonic royalty.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nurgle is like a warm family gathering. I'm talking Animal House with more drugs and ultraviolence.

I could totally see rebranding Slaanesh in the mould of Raoul Duke.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Also, from the Death Thread:

Bistromatic posted:

I hope they go all out to with female marines and making some primarchs women. Just blame it on lovely historians and let the reawakining primarch correct them.

"And who is this Leman Russ you keep talking about? Wait, you mean Herja Russ? Oh boy haha, she's never gonna let you live this one down."

Wanna watch the meltdowns if that ever happens.

I'm totally down for this. Having Leman Russ turn out to be a woman would be hilariously good, especially if nothing else about her backstory was different. So a woman who out-ate and out-drank the Emperor, and fought him face to face. Who broke Magnus the Red over her knee. Who got bored and hosed off into the Eye of Terror to kick rear end and take names.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 9, 2017

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

BirdieBedtime posted:

God drat. That looks amazing.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Leman Russ just being a straight Red Sonja ripoff would be great.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

Leman Russ just being a straight Red Sonja ripoff would be great.

"What do you mean you've had female Astartes all along."

"Why'd you think I told ya ta gently caress off with that Codex Astartes bullshit, Robbie?"

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
IG are broken

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
typically when players are discussing overpowered armies they're talking about a particular list that takes only the very best and most undercosted units in the Codex or abuses some unforeseen synergies /weird FAQ rulings. 8th edition AM seem to be on another level, maybe even to where IG players will have to go out of their way to cripple their lists in order to maintain parity. Newer players might even stumble into overwhelmingly powerful lists (because there isn't just one build) by just buying and fielding the models they think are cool, with the classic "kitchen sink" approach. It's not a good look for either the competitive or casual scenes imo but grizzled veteran players know well enough to soften or harden their lists appropriately. don't club baby seals

e: from another perspective it's the best written dex, i mean point costs are relative and it seems to have less "trap" options than other codexes which basically equates to better internal balance. which is actually good. maybe this is the new normal. it's hard to say until more Codexes (especially Xenos) have been released

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 9, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Liquid Communism posted:

I could totally see rebranding Slaanesh in the mould of Raoul Duke.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Also, from the Death Thread:

I'm totally down for this. Having Leman Russ turn out to be a woman would be hilariously good, especially if nothing else about her backstory was different. So a woman who out-ate and out-drank the Emperor, and fought him face to face. Who broke Magnus the Red over her knee. Who got bored and hosed off into the Eye of Terror to kick rear end and take names.

I really can't understand the fascination with female Marines. No one ever seems to have an idea for how it would be interesting or add anything to 40k except "that's one in the eye for the grogs!!!"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Are Taurox/Scions still busted after points adjustment? I'm about to supplement Spess Marines with the TS Start Collecting box.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Not even Andrew WK should be more Andrew WK. I'm an Emperor's Children player, and I'd rather have them squatted before that.

I think it would be rad as hell to have them be more like that dude with the flaming guitar from the new Mad Max movie, rather than anime boobs. I imagine my army being a hellish choir of sensation, giddy about making things bleed with beautiful and ornate, golden claws and weapons like opulent demonic royalty.

Doof Warrior is the perfect description for what they could become.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Play Death Korps if you're worried about being overpowered :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Corrode posted:

I really can't understand the fascination with female Marines. No one ever seems to have an idea for how it would be interesting or add anything to 40k except "that's one in the eye for the grogs!!!"

You can't understand the appeal of not having the primary protagonist faction be a hyper-macho all-boys club? Really?

Especially when the total investment in changing it would be a couple of head sprues and maybe a character or two?

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 9, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Liquid Communism posted:

You can't understand the appeal of not having the primary protagonist faction be a hyper-macho all-boys club? Really?

Especially when the total investment in changing it would be a couple of head sprues and maybe a character or two?

The hyper-macho boys club bit is the interesting part of Marine fluff though. The whole point of them is that they're humanity's greatest defenders, the supermen who protect the Imperium from the dark - but their actual reality is to be completely unlike the people they champion. Becoming a Space Marine cuts them off from normal lives completely, so they spend hundreds of years living as weirdo space monks who defend people they've never met, and more than likely anyone they were close to and felt anything like human affection towards is long dead by the time they finish training.

I can't see a way to change that organically. The Primaris introduction would have been the perfect time if they wanted to - Cawl finishes his tinkering, Guilliman wakes up, and they both go "hang on, where have all the bloody women gone?" and it turns out that later Imperial High Lords altered history for whatever reason and women were always there. Kind of a Catholic situation where the bits written or said by women are quietly altered then you pretend it was always like that.

Actually I think I've just convinced myself.

I guess my reticence is because it always smacks of tokenism. More female representation in the game, absolutely yes. Making Celestine more prominent, introducing Yvraine, Greyfax etc. are all good moves in this direction. Bring Sisters back and drop the weird fetish fuel stuff (REPENTIA), add more prominence to the races where there's well-established female presences - all flavours of Eldar obviously, but Guard too. Frankly just buy out Victoria Lamb and turn her sculpts into plastic because they're great. If this rumoured new human faction comes to light, kick it off right from the start with mixed forces. Build and add new things rather than changing what's there just because.

I'm probably being a hypocrite about this and just don't want my toys changed, and I do get that Space Marines being as prominent as they are makes it more meaningful that they be changed. It's a weird tone shift to go from female Marines being gross fetish fuel stuff by Doc Thunder to being a thing which is the super woke correct opinion though.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Liquid Communism posted:

In an ideal world, a few alternative heads would be all that's required. But I'm guessing the designers will be taking the modelling files to the power armour waist lines, and adding two new organs to the female space marine that require the front of the power armour to protrude.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

richyp posted:

In an ideal world, a few alternative heads would be all that's required. But I'm guessing the designers will be taking the modelling files to the power armour waist lines, and adding two new organs to the female space marine that require the front of the power armour to protrude.

Probably, which would be entirely counter to the point.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

richyp posted:

richyp gets it - The point being that female armoured shapes are (apparently endemically, and reinforced by cinema and games especially) entirely wrong. The funny/sad (delete to level of depression) thing being they're still different to the male shape, just not in the sexualised way they get portrayed. They SHOULD alter designs to make a female shape, just not in the way they do.

E: As the media stuff is actually more prevalent to the 'historical' stuff, the easiest way is to look at modern troops in battle dress. The woman have a distinct enough silhouette to be identifiable, but weirdly, a total lack of boob armour / windows / suggestive poses. Who knew!

E2: For me, I'm okay with Astartes being an all-male faction for lore reasons, because there's nothing inherently wrong with that, aside from how wildly over-represented they are, and how they're (ick!) described as better than everybody else. If factions were in parity, that'd be fine & well. The issue is that such a huge majority of the game, the factions, the player armies etc. are all Space Marines.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 9, 2017

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Female Primaris marines wouldn't be too hard to fit story wise, and wouldn't invalidate much of anything that happened before.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Mugaaz posted:

Female Primaris marines wouldn't be too hard to fit story wise, and wouldn't invalidate much of anything that happened before.

And yes, that'd be a very easy way to reconcile them suddenly appearing.

Has the lore provisioned any way for them to NOT be dependent on Cawl yet? Can Chapters 'grow their own' yet?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Shockeh posted:

And yes, that'd be a very easy way to reconcile them suddenly appearing.

Has the lore provisioned any way for them to NOT be dependent on Cawl yet? Can Chapters 'grow their own' yet?

No, they're still "Cawl shows up and gives you your allotment of Primaris, better hope you're still friends when you need more!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

After all that gene modding space marines are barely human, let alone male or female.