Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Ever eaten Joan of Arc?

I tend to be pretty dismissive of supernatural and other events in CK2, but drat folks we've got a new thread title here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Any tips on dealing with the Abbasid caliphate as a khaganate?
Depends, how big are your forces compared to theirs? You should be able to eat up towards the East and snake a bit into India for more land, and if you do the good old "Raid their counties into the ground to gently caress their demesne limit to make factions fire against them" that's always a plus. Remember to set your spymaster to sabotaging their capital and be ready to run if need be and they're more powerful than you.

You can always go north, but the lands there are mostly worthless, except as fodder for kinsmen to up dynastic prestige and more warm bodies to levy raise/poo poo land to give to bad nomad vassals.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

DisgracelandUSA posted:

If you really need more son's, switch to seduction and start taking ghetto concubines and legitimizing every bastard son. Everyone will hate you, but as long as you can keep your feudal vassals happy and have high enough intrigue to not get murdered early you don't have anything to worry about.

Seduce your sons' and brothers' wives, that way half the time they don't realize the kid isn't theirs and you don't need to go to the trouble of legitimizing them :eng101:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
One thing I'd like to see before development ends on CK2 is complete province localization for all cultures. You'd need to make up a lot just based on general linguistic rules for the various languages, but it'd be cool to see titles in the Middle East get renamed to something Celtic or Norse.

Or at the very least let a ruler designed Roman see the proper Roman province names.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Does anybody know what the capital of the Indian Empire is? I don't mean the Deccan Empire, Bengal Empire, or Empire of Rajastan, I mean the Indian Empire that gets created by decision when you control all of India, replacing the other three.

The wiki says it doesn't have one. Does that mean it literally has no capital or does it adopt whatever your current capital is or what?

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 8, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Honky Dong Country posted:

Does anybody know what the capital of the Indian Empire is? I don't mean the Deccan Empire, Bengal Empire, or Empire of Rajastan, I mean the Indian Empire that gets created by decision when you control all of India, replacing the other three.

The wiki says it doesn't have one. Does that mean it literally has no capital or does it adopt whatever your current capital is or what?

All the title capital entry in the files does is define which province you're allowed to switch your capital back to regardless of timer, and sometimes you need that province to create the title. Otherwise, it doesn't interact with what your personal capital is when you make the title, which stays the same (unless a title creation decision changes it for you).

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Quorum posted:

All the title capital entry in the files does is define which province you're allowed to switch your capital back to regardless of timer, and sometimes you need that province to create the title. Otherwise, it doesn't interact with what your personal capital is when you make the title, which stays the same (unless a title creation decision changes it for you).

Nah I get that the de jure capital only means that's where you can move your capital regardless of timers. I'm just a weirdo that likes to keep his personal demesne based around that capital so I was curious. Like for instance, when I had my Jewish Semien run I kept Jerusalem and Ascalon as my two duchies. In this current Buddhist Bengal run I'm based in Gauda and Varendra. So I just wanted to know exactly what was gonna happen when the day comes that I unite India and become the Samrat Chakravartin.

I think I just might make my permanent home around Delhi. Use Kuru and Vodamayutja as my two duchies, Delhi and Rajputana as my two kingdoms and set up Sindh as a vassal merchant republic. As it stands I've only got the Bengal Empire and a single kingdom in Rajastan but I'm the most powerful force in all of India so it's really only a matter of time.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 8, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Honky Dong Country posted:

Nah I get that the de jure capital only means that's where you can move your capital regardless of timers. I'm just a weirdo that likes to keep his personal demesne based around that capital so I was curious. Like for instance, when I had my Jewish Semien run I kept Jerusalem and Ascalon as my two duchies. In this current Buddhist Bengal run I'm based in Gauda and Varendra. So I just wanted to know exactly what was gonna happen when the day comes that I unite India and become the Samrat Chakravartin.

I think I just might make my permanent home around Delhi. Use Kuru and Vodamayutja as my two duchies, Delhi and Rajputana as my two kingdoms and set up Sindh as a vassal merchant republic. As it stands I've only got the Bengal Empire and a single kingdom in Rajastan but I'm the most powerful force in all of India so it's really only a matter of time.

Oh, yeah, sorry, then the answer to your question so far as I know is that if there's no scripted capital, then you don't get the free move at all.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I just loaded up an old save where I formed India and there doesn't seem to be a de jure capitol.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I really wish that they'd release the new Mid-East used in dev builds and stream to the public, if just as a beta patch.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

evenworse username posted:

I am in the exact same situation and am finding England in the Charlemagne start interesting. It's all split up into the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms so you've got at least one obvious project and you're not on the mainland getting mashed by Karlings.

Makes sense. I was also looking at Khiva.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So I just started playing this again in anticipation of Jade Dragon and I have a question: why do people keep seemingly randomly secluding themselves? Multiple times a year my councilors will go into seclusion for a month or two then come back out.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Minenfeld! posted:

Makes sense. I was also looking at Khiva.

Uppland at the Charlie start is really good. Being a viking is one of the most OP ways to play, so it's a good first real game.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

1stGear posted:

So I just started playing this again in anticipation of Jade Dragon and I have a question: why do people keep seemingly randomly secluding themselves? Multiple times a year my councilors will go into seclusion for a month or two then come back out.

Do you have Reaper's Due active? I find a lot of my courtiers keep hiding if there's any disease in my lands at all, even if it's nowhere near their holdings.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

1stGear posted:

Do they have the Paranoid Trait? Characters who are paranoid can seclude themselves at any time, and I think there's a 1 year cooldown between seclusions.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Whoever it was that mentioned the fedual Occultist guy in Boston in AtE being hilariously easy was right. Gone from just Boston to the king of New England all on that single starting guy. Easiest time I've ever had going up from a count.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

1stGear posted:

If they've got the Theologian focus, they could be temporarily secluding themselves.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is there any good way to take apart a powerful vassal? One of my vassals managed to grab a hold of 3 separate dukedoms, and after imprisoning in a revolt, I can only revoke one of them without getting a big opinion malus for all my other vassals. To make things worse, the duchy I revoked turned out to be the one he owned all the individual counties of, so I can't destroy the title or hand it off to a vassal.

Am I supposed to just keep provoking civil wars?

ShootaBoy posted:

Whoever it was that mentioned the fedual Occultist guy in Boston in AtE being hilariously easy was right. Gone from just Boston to the king of New England all on that single starting guy. Easiest time I've ever had going up from a count.

Hell, even the computer can do it. In my Connecticut game, the lands to the east of me kept flashing between realms and rulers until it became New England a couple decades in.

It's a real pain, because while disunited pagans are real nice to take bites out of, an entire united New England is terrible to fight. Lots of mostly worthless provinces for the New English army to hide in, and if there's actual defenses built up in any of them, then the supply limit easily gets smaller than the minimum amount of troops required to siege.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is there any good way to take apart a powerful vassal? One of my vassals managed to grab a hold of 3 separate dukedoms, and after imprisoning in a revolt, I can only revoke one of them without getting a big opinion malus for all my other vassals. To make things worse, the duchy I revoked turned out to be the one he owned all the individual counties of, so I can't destroy the title or hand it off to a vassal.

if you can't keep rabbit punching them with provoke/imprison/revoke then you'll have to bite the bullet and strip their titles for the tyrant hit, or if they have weak heirs imprison them and oubliette them. see if you can weaken their heirs through murder

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hell, even the computer can do it. In my Connecticut game, the lands to the east of me kept flashing between realms and rulers until it became New England a couple decades in.

It's a real pain, because while disunited pagans are real nice to take bites out of, an entire united New England is terrible to fight. Lots of mostly worthless provinces for the New English army to hide in, and if there's actual defenses built up in any of them, then the supply limit easily gets smaller than the minimum amount of troops required to siege.

chief paul of boston rarely manages to form the kingdom because he's a vassal of the nogad tribe at the start and despite his young age and monster stats the ai is not great at the sort of sneaky thinking you need to get out from under that burden

someone usually forms the kingdom though, as well as the other major pagan kingdoms (ohio, michigan, superior) just because the pagan subjugation cb means that the pagans can just beat each other raw until a king emerges, and usually it's whoever is able to take advantage of their marginally better position relative to their neighbors and snowball hardest

when you're fighting tribals remember two things

-tribal holdings are super easy to assault, way easier than castles
-build forts for 20g a pop when you're sieging to prevent attrition from wasting your forces. forts are on the same panel as hospitals and trade posts and really all they do is increase the supply limit in hostile territory

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Am I supposed to just keep provoking civil wars?
Now that you have that Duchy that he has all those counties in that he "shouldn't", you can start plotting to revoke them. Right click on the shield of the county itself to start revoking.

Leave one behind, then let him go. Fire the revoke plot, he'll say no, you lock him up again, you take another duchy, and so on.

Otherwise, it's just forcing gavelkind and uhh, plotting to murder. Personally, I prefer mega-dukes after a point because threat makes actually waging war yourself a hassle and as Norse it's a self-perpetuating murder explosion with prepared invasions.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm fine with dukes building themselves up, but I like to knock them down a few notches after a while if they're too uppity. And then if a guy who hates me and whose son hates me and whose son's son hates me is real powerful, might as well bust down the family holdings as much as possible.

Thanks for the advice about revocations, but I don't think I can force gavelkind, because I think that's not an option for Anabaptism. There's no options for different inheritance types in the laws menu.

boner confessor posted:

-tribal holdings are super easy to assault, way easier than castles
-build forts for 20g a pop when you're sieging to prevent attrition from wasting your forces. forts are on the same panel as hospitals and trade posts and really all they do is increase the supply limit in hostile territory

...I didn't...I didn't know forts were a thing...I knew there had to be a better way, but I didn't think to ask...

BRB, conquering Vermont.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 11, 2018

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah vermont is a dick because aside from boston the lands of theurge increase are the only new england holdings at game start that aren't tribal, so you can't just blitz them and you have to suffer through the pagan attrition bonus and the awful new england winters. and iirc one of the counties in southern vermont is just two castles. gently caress off

keep in mind that forts aren't permanent, you're really just spending a bit of gold to modify the attrition penalty in hostile lands and this is best explained or fit in to existing game mechanics as an offmap holding

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 9, 2017

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Forts are also great for making it take a lot longer for your enemy to re-capture the lands you've sieged.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

If there an end date for after the end, or does it just keep trucking?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I won't sleep until that angry panda coat of arms colours the entire (dynasty) map.

DLC looks great, to the point I kind of wish this wasn't a DLC and this was CK2.5 China Edition, no Europe allowed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
A Paradox game set in China would be loving fantastic but I doubt it'd have much in common with Crusader Kings mechanically.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

dat han princess drat

Wanna get in the good books with the Emperor now!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

binge crotching posted:

Forts are also great for making it take a lot longer for your enemy to re-capture the lands you've sieged.

drat, I wish I knew this when I was nine years into an invasion of Persia and the dumbfuck in charge of the siege wouldn't assault, even though we outnumbered the defenders 20 to one, had 2% warscore left, and the Persians were bearing down on our captured territories and bringing the warscore back down to zilch. :argh:

Anyway, my point is: Genocide this, bitches.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 10, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i fatfingered it and botched the chance to get a screenshot, but i just ran into a fun event bug

in after the end there are pilgrimage event chains. i was on a pilgrimage to a holy site belonging to a hostile infidel lord, but i also owned the city in that county. i was refused entry to the temple, and snuck past the walls. after doing so i was alerted that a foreign lord, me, was sneaking in past the walls in my demense. i immediately had myself imprisoned, and i was about to try to execute myself when i hit pause break instead of f12

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hi CK2 thread. I recently posted about my adventures as Scandinavia invading Egypt and then Gujarat, creating a Norse empire that was (to me) amusingly far flung.

I need some advice now. As I was conquering distant and nearby regions, I figured the best bet was to give the new land to my unlanded sons or siblings. Or anyone of my dynasty really- so long as they weren't already landed. This may have been a mistake because some of those people died without heirs and, now there are some deeply unfortunate combinations of holdings.

The duchy in the Nile delta owns a random province in Holland, while Cyprus owns the Isle of Man and half of Flanders. And most offensively the kingdom of Gujarat owns a duchy in the Netherlands, and two duchies in Ireland! The fact that the Kingdom of Ireland owns most of Saxony is barely an issue in comparison.

This is horrific! I didn't mean for this to happen... Honestly, when I conquered Egypt I hadn't formed an empire yet and was half planning to just let my realm fall apart into a few kingdoms and shift over to just playing Norse Egypt, but then everything got hosed and I needed to form Scandinavia to keep it all together or else there were going to be some really horrific borders. And it's leading to some pretty dumb AI moves too, as Gujarat doesn't seem to care about expanding India so much as messing about in the British isles, which is not what I want them to do! That's the Kingdom of Ireland's job (and they've been doing a pretty good job- powerful vassals can be fun).

Is there any good way to fix this garbage? I was really happy and excited with the way me empire expanded, but it's internal structure such an ugly mess now that I kind of want to just give up.

I guess in the future I'll be more careful to give far flung new lands to unrelated people, rather than trying to be all fancy setting up dynasty members everywhere, but I'd really like to salvage this game if I can.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Anyone else play much CK2+? My current character just found out he was a bastard and now he changed to a randomly generated dynasty. Does this happen often or what because I kinda want back in the dynasty I was playing the entire rest of the game, I can still edit the save I guess.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Eiba posted:

Hi CK2 thread. I recently posted about my adventures as Scandinavia invading Egypt and then Gujarat, creating a Norse empire that was (to me) amusingly far flung.

I need some advice now. As I was conquering distant and nearby regions, I figured the best bet was to give the new land to my unlanded sons or siblings. Or anyone of my dynasty really- so long as they weren't already landed. This may have been a mistake because some of those people died without heirs and, now there are some deeply unfortunate combinations of holdings.

The duchy in the Nile delta owns a random province in Holland, while Cyprus owns the Isle of Man and half of Flanders. And most offensively the kingdom of Gujarat owns a duchy in the Netherlands, and two duchies in Ireland! The fact that the Kingdom of Ireland owns most of Saxony is barely an issue in comparison.

This is horrific! I didn't mean for this to happen... Honestly, when I conquered Egypt I hadn't formed an empire yet and was half planning to just let my realm fall apart into a few kingdoms and shift over to just playing Norse Egypt, but then everything got hosed and I needed to form Scandinavia to keep it all together or else there were going to be some really horrific borders. And it's leading to some pretty dumb AI moves too, as Gujarat doesn't seem to care about expanding India so much as messing about in the British isles, which is not what I want them to do! That's the Kingdom of Ireland's job (and they've been doing a pretty good job- powerful vassals can be fun).

Is there any good way to fix this garbage? I was really happy and excited with the way me empire expanded, but it's internal structure such an ugly mess now that I kind of want to just give up.

I guess in the future I'll be more careful to give far flung new lands to unrelated people, rather than trying to be all fancy setting up dynasty members everywhere, but I'd really like to salvage this game if I can.

Dehumanize yourself and face to bordergore.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ok, so uhhhh.

I thought threat halved or something when your current ruler died? That was wrong, apparently. I forgot to turn it off for a Byzantine game and it's getting a little loving bit tiresome to fight the entire loving world in every single war.

you know what I'm just gonna abandon this one; my stupid loving kinsmen keep making non-matrilineal marriages and its goddamn infuriating

I DID NOT CONQUER ALL THAT loving LAND JUST FOR YOU TO poo poo IT AWAY BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO STUPID TO MARRY RIGHT

And I'd just vassalized the knights of the holy sepulchre too :(

edit:

I feel like the head of the dynasty should have more powers. Like, arranging marriages between people not directly in my court or legitimizing dynastic bastard I like.

This is stuff that seems pretty basic and was done irl. Why we don't have it is beyond me

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 10, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you can bring yourself to let go of ironman, the console 'move' command is very handy for that kind of thing

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Odobenidae posted:

Anyone else play much CK2+? My current character just found out he was a bastard and now he changed to a randomly generated dynasty. Does this happen often or what because I kinda want back in the dynasty I was playing the entire rest of the game, I can still edit the save I guess.

If bastards have children they start a new dynasty.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you can bring yourself to let go of ironman, the console 'move' command is very handy for that kind of thing
No, if I turn ironman off, I go off the deep end.

"Hmmmm, why not play as that character, take a jew loan, hire mercs and then have him declare on that duchy...
Oh and this character is loving up, better have him killed. And he has the wrong education, better fix that...
Mali is so boring, how about I make them a horde? And India is too centralized, let's create every single duchy and king title possible, then divvy them up between random culture/religion people"

and then 2 hours have passed while paused

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Deceitful Penguin posted:

No, if I turn ironman off, I go off the deep end.

"Hmmmm, why not play as that character, take a jew loan, hire mercs and then have him declare on that duchy...
Oh and this character is loving up, better have him killed. And he has the wrong education, better fix that...
Mali is so boring, how about I make them a horde? And India is too centralized, let's create every single duchy and king title possible, then divvy them up between random culture/religion people"

and then 2 hours have passed while paused

I know, awesome right?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, I was really hopeful for a nice quick and easy conquest of Vermont, but then I ran into a thing where the game kept crashing on April 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, I was really hopeful for a nice quick and easy conquest of Vermont, but then I ran into a thing where the game kept crashing on April 20.

You clearly haven't made the proper genuflection to 4/20.

• Locked thread