Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's truly incredible, when he said Hightower in the last TTAZZ I couldn't be sure he wasn't doing it as a goof. But nope, I think that's just Clint McElroy.

I can kind of see it, Highchurch is an uncommon compound word but The Hightower and jokes about it were everywhere in the 70s and 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

kidcoelacanth posted:

I am unreasonably excited about Clint doing ad reads

I think Griffin might still do them because he'll still the the one editing the podcast.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I'm really hoping they can do a season in their own normal speaking voices

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

HolePisser1982 posted:

I'm really hoping they can do a season in their own normal speaking voices

Except Justin, they just did

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Who What Now posted:

Except Justin, they just did

That doesn't help me

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

That doesn't help me

i think his gimmick is to offer inane defenses to criticism that he didn't really understand in the first place

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The joke is that Travis and Clint hardly ever remembered to do character voices.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Travis had a character voice, but it was just his normal voice with more confidence.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
It really threw me when the big twist at the end of balance turned out to be that Magnus was inside Travis all along

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

in pure unplanned councidence, the three brothers all independently land on what we can only recognize as the Shmorky Voice for the new season

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Justin and Travis, seeking inspiration for good female voices, both rewatch Monty Python.

edit: Clint also does a Monty Python woman's voice but he doesn't need to study

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I appreciated Justin mercilessly giving them poo poo for it every single time they forgot to do a voice.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

misadventurous posted:

I appreciated Justin mercilessly giving them poo poo for it every single time they forgot to do a voice.

One of the first live shows, they're going about in the usual fashion until Justin, with fury and anger, yells out "CHARACTER loving VOICES" and everyone cheers.

It was a good moment.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe the character voices were the friends we made along the way.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Justin and Travis should have all of their in character dialogue dubbed over by Sydnee (and in transformed state, Charlie) and Teresa.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Who What Now posted:

Maybe the character voices were the friends we made along the way.
No, the friends we made along the way were the creamers, which we also really were.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I loved the boys razzing Clint about having been a radio professional for decades and still loving up the ad so badly.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Ariong posted:

Your assumption that these people are being pandered to implies that those people are the only ones who spoke out against *insert controvertial thing here* which is dumb. Just because an unreasonable person says something is the case doesn’t mean that thing is not the case. You can be right and still be a dick about it.

Yep. It really blows to hear "well, I WOULD consider hearing you out, but a small minority of people who agree with you are annoying assholes, so clearly your opinion is actually meritless."

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
The most recent Sawbones is a neat entry point: what you would find in a doctors medicine bag about a hundred twenty five years ago. For the gossips (and people who've been pregnant before, and fathers) out there, it also had a definite confirmation as to the pregnancy.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 7, 2017

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Man I started getting into MBMBaM after the Adventure Zone and it kind of blows my mind that there's 370+ episodes. I thought getting caught up on Adventure Zone was an odyssey but now I've basically got what feels Infinite McElroys. It is a little weird listening to them in reverse order though, they keep talking about how they're going to do the things they talked about having done in the previous episode - would it make more sense to start from the beginning? Which is presumably so far back that Griffin's voice hadn't cracked yet.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
If you're planning on listening to it all anyway, then it makes more sense to start from the beginning. I can't imagine how weird it would be to listen in reverse order. People tend to say the early episodes are a bit rough, and I suppose they are, but they're still entertaining enough. If for some reason you can't get through the first several, just skip ahead to about #50 or so.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The earliest episodes are not as bad as the brothers make them out to be, but I think we’re all in agreement that they are of a lower quality. They’re certainly of a lower sound quality. Starting from the beginning will put the good stuff ahead of you. Also, they don’t often have running gags that last between episodes, but when they do it will work better starting from 1.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Back when I was catching up to MBMBaM, I had to buy their app to listen to the earliest episodes. You whippersnappers have it easy. :corsair:

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Dolash posted:

Man I started getting into MBMBaM after the Adventure Zone and it kind of blows my mind that there's 370+ episodes. I thought getting caught up on Adventure Zone was an odyssey but now I've basically got what feels Infinite McElroys. It is a little weird listening to them in reverse order though, they keep talking about how they're going to do the things they talked about having done in the previous episode - would it make more sense to start from the beginning? Which is presumably so far back that Griffin's voice hadn't cracked yet.

Start at 108.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I got backward to episode 360, where they played a clip from episode one they were really embarrassed about, then decided I had to start with episode one and it is definitely a blast from the past. Their very first question Griffin posits the surely ludicrous idea of someone making a thousand twitter accounts that'll follow you to boost your social media presence for 50$, and when Travis suggests someone might already be doing that they just laugh it off.

Meanwhile in 2017, Presidential elections are decided by such tactics.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Hey if anyone's interested, the comic Griffin mentioned in his description of Springheel is really good.

https://imgur.com/gallery/aD5X6

It's just a short fancomic, though.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Has anyone read Griffin’s Star Wars story?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I started listening to TAZ and MBMBaM in like, March. I listened to all of TAZ and then started going backwards through MBMBaM. I'm now around episode 80.

The McElboys like to say "skip the first 100" but there are some good jokes in the ones I am listening to. It's just that they were shittier in terms of saying things like "fat bitch" and whatever - which sucks but I'm still going to listen to all of them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The whole archive is great evidence that funny idiots from a small backwoods town can grow into being wonderful, inclusive idiots with just a little effort.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mikedawson posted:

Hey if anyone's interested, the comic Griffin mentioned in his description of Springheel is really good.

https://imgur.com/gallery/aD5X6

It's just a short fancomic, though.

drat it is very cool

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The Berzerker posted:

I started listening to TAZ and MBMBaM in like, March. I listened to all of TAZ and then started going backwards through MBMBaM. I'm now around episode 80.

The McElboys like to say "skip the first 100" but there are some good jokes in the ones I am listening to. It's just that they were shittier in terms of saying things like "fat bitch" and whatever - which sucks but I'm still going to listen to all of them.

I jumped back to episode one and am working my way forward and hoo boy, it was definitely 2010, you know?

Like Griffin just dumps hard all over juggalos yet here we are in 2017 where they're all anti-establishment heroes now.

also certain unironic detours into discussing the friendzone that would not play well today

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They also slam furries pretty hard in the first dozen or so episodes. Pretty remarkable change to now where Travis tweets about what his fursona would be if he were a furry.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

well why not posted:

They also slam furries pretty hard in the first dozen or so episodes. Pretty remarkable change to now where Travis tweets about what his fursona would be if he were a furry.

There's also one episode where they get real mad at fat people in theaters. I doubt that would go over so good if it was a new episode.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Inzombiac posted:

funny idiots from a small backwoods town can grow into being wonderful, inclusive idiots with just a little effort.

Louis Theroux just did a documentary on heroin addicts in Huntingdon. The place is a loving dump and I'm glad the brothers escaped it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fatty posted:

Louis Theroux just did a documentary on heroin addicts in Huntingdon. The place is a loving dump and I'm glad the brothers escaped it.

Justin still lives there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, I mean

Justin still lives there

And one of the main reasons they shot the show there is to show people how great their hometown is

But yeah, whatever, it's West Virginia so everyone's fat and marrying cousins. Real cool.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Huntington is a fine and liberal enough city, not all of West Virginia is hillbillies doing heroin.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Serf posted:

Justin still lives there.

Well, he dodged the opiates, I think the figure given by the program was that one in four adults were addicts. Statistically, one of the brothers should probably be shooting up in a tent.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fatty posted:

Well, he dodged the opiates, I think the figure given by the program was that one in four adults were addicts. Statistically, one of the brothers should probably be shooting up in a tent.

So that's what happened to the fourth brother...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sick Boy McElroy