Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah the main problem is that I definitely feel like iOS isn't a substantially better experience then Android on a good phone, particularly after iOS11 compared to a Pixel - it may even be worse. I just feel so used to the simplicity and...Sterility?...Of the UI that I'm having lots of problems adjusting, and I'm wondering if that has gone away for others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

IuniusBrutus posted:

Yeah the main problem is that I definitely feel like iOS isn't a substantially better experience then Android on a good phone, particularly after iOS11 compared to a Pixel - it may even be worse. I just feel so used to the simplicity and...Sterility?...Of the UI that I'm having lots of problems adjusting, and I'm wondering if that has gone away for others.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean exactly. You can set up your home screen to just be icons like iOS. Back button and app switcher are dedicated, always there things in Android, but similar enough to iOS. Sharing between apps is similar after Android moved closer to iOS there. Is it specific apps that are different, or really something about the UI between the OSes?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LastInLine posted:

This is a dumb question but didn't T-Mobile always offer $325 to bring a Pixel to them? I know I got $650 off my bill when my Pixels came in. Did they stop doing that at some point? I thought it had been there the whole time.

They stopped doing it back in April or May, whenever it was they launched the promotion that paid off your Pixel installment plan if you ported in from Verizon. IIRC the old promo was also a bill credit over 24 months (or at least that's how a friend of mine gets his), wheras now it's just a $325 prepaid debit card.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm using the Droid turbo 2 with the 'shatterproof' screen. It's been worth it. Also has aged well.

Keeping this until planned obsolescence kicks in. I hope next phone has wireless charging and I love the Moto features.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

They stopped doing it back in April or May, whenever it was they launched the promotion that paid off your Pixel installment plan if you ported in from Verizon. IIRC the old promo was also a bill credit over 24 months (or at least that's how a friend of mine gets his), wheras now it's just a $325 prepaid debit card.

Yeah it was a bill credit. Thanks for the clarification.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Has anyone tried to reapply oleophobic coating on their phone? How did it work out

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I know someone who has tried and it seemed fine for like a week before it was gone again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

Has anyone tried to reapply oleophobic coating on their phone? How did it work out

I've tried it. It's great for a couple weeks then wears off again.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've tried it. It's great for a couple weeks then wears off again.

Seems to be the consensus. Bummer

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

IuniusBrutus posted:

I had the opposite problem coming from Windows Phone, in that I was so used to the tightly compacted design of the live tile system that I couldn't get used to the Android home screen. Then I found a decent launcher and the rest is history:

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff right there. :unsmigghh:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
What's the release date and shipping look like for the Pixel 2 XL? I'm leaving for vacation on the 25th - I see October 19 tossed around but wasn't sure if I pre-order an XL 2 today from the Google Store if it'd get here in time, or if I should just wait until I get back.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I had the opposite problem coming from Windows Phone, in that I was so used to the tightly compacted design of the live tile system that I couldn't get used to the Android home screen. Then I found a decent launcher and the rest is history:

:stare:

I'm the EXTENDED FORECAST cut off by this abortion of a launcher.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Jesus, you think this is GOOD?!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

bloody hell

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

yospos bithc

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

vyst posted:

I just get a new glass screen protector every 3-4 months or so and it's as good as having the coating back

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

I just get a new glass screen protector every 3-4 months or so and it's as good as having the coating back

Do you find those glass screen protectors affect sensitivity at all? Like, even a tiny tiny bit? I'm almost considering getting one because of this

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus, you think this is GOOD?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJWWtV1w5fw

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

:dogbutton:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It started off pretty sensible and comprehensible, then I found the colour options and everything just kind of snowballed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It started off pretty sensible and comprehensible

I...don't believe you!

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Like if there's any minor quibbles people had to learn or iOS habits to unlearn. Definitely willing to adapt, just curious what others have gone through

I switched from iOS about a week ago and one of the most annoying for me is there's no universal swipe left to go back. There are software ways to do it though. Otherwise it really hasn't been nearly as deep a learning curve as I expected. A lot of it was just figuring out where various settings were.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I switched from iOS about a week ago and one of the most annoying for me is there's no universal swipe left to go back.

There's a back button. What do you mean?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's a back button. What do you mean?

I could see wanting the gesture just due to muscle memory

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Triggered. Also, clear your notifications.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you find those glass screen protectors affect sensitivity at all? Like, even a tiny tiny bit? I'm almost considering getting one because of this

Been using them on my phones and iPad for years and I haven't seen any issues with touch performance. The trick is just lining them up right when you put it on so you don't have weak spots on the edges where it's likely to crack.

I've had this one on my Pixel since July. It goes right up to the edges of the screen, and so if you apply it properly you would forget it's even there.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 9, 2017

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What launcher is that, you madman?

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Blue Train posted:

I could see wanting the gesture just due to muscle memory

Yup, exactly. After years of swiping to go back it felt really weird to not have that. Getting used to using the back button but it was definitely one of those things that took a lot of getting used to.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I moved from iOS to a Nexus 6P 1.5 years ago and there was some adjustment but I absolutely cannot go back to an Apple phone now. I try to use iPhones (helping family) and it's a nightmare. The media management too (iTunes) was always awful for me and I hear frequent complaints about it from someone that tries to use it casually. I also love the back button even when it acts funny. Having a dedicated button I can jam to fly back is great.

I am really looking forward to my Pixel 2 XL later this month.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I took my pixel xl out of the diztronic case for the first time this week and the back is scratched to hell and back. I guess dirt worked it's way back there and scuffed it up

Same for me with my HTC 10. Everything else is pristine but this will hurt my resale value. Spigen Case.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I switched from iOS about a week ago and one of the most annoying for me is there's no universal swipe left to go back.

Huh. My wife's been using an iPhone since before we met in 2011 and I never knew about that gesture.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I didn't know mission control was doing agile staffing now.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
After having her Moto G5+ for less than 7 days, my wife dropped it and shattered the screen.

One cell phone repair place said they couldn't order the screen from any of their suppliers, and another I called refused to work on it because it was too difficult. I found a couple how-to videos online, and I've already ordered a new screen, but is this going to be an impossible task?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

FISHMANPET posted:

After having her Moto G5+ for less than 7 days, my wife dropped it and shattered the screen.

One cell phone repair place said they couldn't order the screen from any of their suppliers, and another I called refused to work on it because it was too difficult. I found a couple how-to videos online, and I've already ordered a new screen, but is this going to be an impossible task?

lol

As long as you're careful and follow the videos, you'll be fine. Did you buy adhesive to secure the display? You're gonna need some.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Are there any better deals than trading in an iphone for $200-300 off for an S8 right now?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

goodness posted:

Are there any better deals than trading in an iphone for $200-300 off for an S8 right now?

Sell the iphone on craigslist/letgo/offerup

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

seravid posted:

lol

As long as you're careful and follow the videos, you'll be fine. Did you buy adhesive to secure the display? You're gonna need some.

I bought this which claims to include adhesive so I think so? Looks like the only thing I need is a heat gun.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

I bought this which claims to include adhesive so I think so? Looks like the only thing I need is a heat gun.

Oh boy. Cancel the order. These 'front glass only' parts require advanced knowledge and equipment to replace, which of course isn't stated anywhere in that link, unlike the exciting feature "You can do it!"

It's the LCD + touch screen assembly you want to get. I'm not familiar with US stores, but eBay is always an option. That store you linked sells it, too, but gently caress 'em.

Also: unless you'll be using the heat gun for other stuff, just use a hair dryer this time.

seravid fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 9, 2017

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So something like this would be what I want? Now that I think about it it was pretty suspicous that there were no cables coming out of that item
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-LCD...WwAAOSwFYxZwMeo

And yeah I was just gonna use a hair dryer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Yep, that's it.

Careful handling those flex cables, they're fragile.