Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pain and Gain is an excellent movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Feldegast42 posted:

I thought that Pain and Gain was pretty good for what it was, a Michael Bay version of Burn After Reading.

I mean you can't watch the first 15 minutes of that and not think that it was intentional self-parody.

Red Letter Media can apparently

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
well yeah that's RLM.

Pain & Gain was definitely good, and at the very least I can't imagine calling it "lovely". It's definitely one of those movies where if it had anyone else listed as "Director" it would have been more embraced and legitimized by these same people with movie hot takes.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
RLM said Chappie was bad so I can't trust them on anything.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hate all of Michael Bay's movies except Pain and Gain and The Rock. I don't have any issue praising what's actually good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
imagine actually respecting RLM's opinions. they made some funny star wars videos but c'mon. one look at their youtube audience should tell you all you need

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't look at them

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RLM is the the cynical teen years of movie critisism. They are more sophisticated and funnier than the poo poo that came before it. But now they are not so good and their opinions are garbage. I nearly passed on watching Chappie when it realeased because of them.

Best of the Worst is still worth watching. But I realized I was pretty much done with irony-watching when I passed the opportunity to buy the Samurai Cop 2 Blu-ray for $4.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 8, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
they sure have a lot of fun attacking diversity, but hey, it's just cuz it's cynical corporate diversity guys, we're not pandering to our youtube audience of "people who blather about 'sjws' and 'feminists' every other day"
I was good when they made that force awakens video and were like "WHY WOULD A BLACK KID EVEN CARE IF THEY HAD ANY TOYS THAT WERE BLACK PEOPLE??? TAKE IT FROM ME AN OVERWEIGHT OLD WHITE MAN"

hmmmmm yes that's why I'm specifically mentioning a portion of their last star wars review that was white-idiot-pandering bullshit
vvvvvvvvv

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 8, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

None of you watch RLM.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's pretty great that Michael Bay's reputation with nerds is based entirely on the Transformers movies, and a straight war movie like 13 Hours is consequently incomprehensible to them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

they sure have a lot of fun attacking diversity, but hey, it's just cuz it's cynical corporate diversity guys, we're not pandering to our youtube audience of "people who blather about 'sjws' and 'feminists' every other day"
I was good when they made that force awakens video and were like "WHY WOULD A BLACK KID EVEN CARE IF THEY HAD ANY TOYS THAT WERE BLACK PEOPLE??? TAKE IT FROM ME AN OVERWEIGHT OLD WHITE MAN"

hmmmmm yes that's why I'm specifically mentioning a portion of their last star wars review that was white-idiot-pandering bullshit
vvvvvvvvv

You know at least one is a horrible misogynist who constantly harasses female coworkers, just based on recent film news the odds are in favor of that.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

CelticPredator posted:

None of you watch RLM.

RLM said Spring Breakers had no subtext.

I like their goofy poo poo but they are not so great at film criticism.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it also seems to me that they kinda went from "hahaha, nerd culture/videogames/comic book movies are laaaaame" to "still that, I guess, but it's most of the movies and stuff we cover now, even if it's half-jokingly sometimes!"
it's all just either best of the worst, some horror movie, or star trek/star wars/comic book movie/videogame movie. again, like the racism, plays to their audience. your audience can mold you.

p.s. I know it's a TV show but the fact they got John Krasinski's "B-Rate Impression of Martin Freeman" rear end to be the current Jack Ryan is just hilarious to me. he just...doesn't have the action star look...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
He was almost Captain America.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Asnorban posted:

Pain & Gain is a legit good movie.

Absolutely.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Red Letter Media can apparently

Pain and Gain was a great movie and also a fine illustration of which critics actually do their loving jobs and which just make lazy jokes based on the conclusion they made before they even walked into the theater.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

RLM said Chappie was bad so I can't trust them on anything.

Their criticism that Gravity should have had it's first act on Earth showing training montages of them preparing for space is one of the biggest cases of missing the point of a movie I've ever seen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

weekly font posted:

They have this weird habit of judging a movie not by what the movie is, but by what they imagine the Director is. An habit that is actually surprisingly common in internet reviewers, and is loving terrible for understanding movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

weekly font posted:

And this forum adores the D.C. Movies.

Everyone's weird as gently caress with movies. I just think they're really funny, and if I disagree with them, so what. I'll live.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Everyone's weird as gently caress with movies. I just think they're really funny, and if I disagree with them, so what. I'll live.

Saying a film have no subtext, especially something like Spring Breakers, is probably more on the level of the woman who wants to eat her placenta or donating money to a failing business run by a racist because a mod swayed you into it, though.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Pain and Gain is a great, great movie, but it's an easy movie to misunderstand. Even Every Frame a Painting had a bad take on it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The MSJ posted:

Saying a film have no subtext, especially something like Spring Breakers, is probably more on the level of the woman who wants to eat her placenta or donating money to a failing business run by a racist because a mod swayed you into it, though.

Or buying a copy of Space Cop.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

pospysyl posted:

Pain and Gain is a great, great movie, but it's an easy movie to misunderstand. Even Every Frame a Painting had a bad take on it.

I feel like its very pointed take on the true crime genre was a little ahead of its time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pain and Gain is great.

I've had a friend tell me he hated Michael Bay and then a few minutes later tell me he liked Pain and Gain, totally unaware Bay directed it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Pain and Gain is good but Michael Bay doesn't quite have a normal human sense of humor so it's not great.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

pospysyl posted:

Hmm who should I trust, reviewers and film critics who are cool and good or the forums which defend Battleship and the Transformers movies. (thinks very hard)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Also I'm the movie forum that says other people's opinions are straight up wrong.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Peanut President posted:

Hmm who should I trust, reviewers and film critics who are cool and good or the forums which defend Battleship and the Transformers movies. (thinks very hard)

Wait a minute... reviewers and critics aren't cool at all! Bullshit artist!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the only good thing rlm has done is pointing out the adam sandler vacation movie swindles

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Get it right, the only opinions that are straight up wrong are the ones that disagree with me

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Peanut President posted:

Also I'm the movie forum that says other people's opinions are straight up wrong.

Forums can't talk or have opinions

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Peanut President posted:

We don't say people's opinions are wrong so much as point out the plot of whatever the movie is and then people accuse us of lying.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pain & Gain is loving incredible and I say this as someone who hates the majority of Michael Bay's other movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Their criticism that Gravity should have had it's first act on Earth showing training montages of them preparing for space is one of the biggest cases of missing the point of a movie I've ever seen.

loving seriously? I enjoy making fun of RLM, but I never actually hated them until this moment. That's dumber than people pointing out how the physics aren't perfect in the film.

Edit:

CelticPredator posted:

That's not true at all, there's a couple people who champion them and a few more who say people are being hyperbolic when calling them the worst films ever, but there's plenty of people who loving despise them. Personally I think they range from bad to interesting failures.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 9, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My point is that disliking people because they didn't get a movie you did, is dumb.

Disagreeing is totally fine though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

My point is that disliking people because they didn't get a movie you did, is dumb.

Disagreeing is totally fine though.

Disagreeing about a film is one thing, but sometimes someone has a take on a film that makes you question everything about them. People can love or hate Fight Club, but if their internet username is some variation of Tyler Durden, they're either 17 (increasingly unlikely since the film is almost 20 years old) or they're definitely an rear end in a top hat.

Thinking Gravity needed a training montage isn't the same as being a crypto-fascist, but it's really loving stupid.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
for me it's more them appealing 2 edgy racists than anything but o-k

corporate-instituted diversity really is bullshit but it's also provided an opening for them to rail against ADDING BLACK PEOPLE ~RANDOMLY~ for their fans

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

corporate-instituted diversity really is bullshit but it's also provided an opening for them to rail against ADDING BLACK PEOPLE ~RANDOMLY~ for their fans

The warning sign really should have been when their (admittedly insightful and funny for a large part of it) take down of The Phantom Menace featured the running "gag" of the narrator having a woman trapped in his basement that he tortures and assumingly rapes and eventually kills.

Was that in the first draft? or did they have an 85 minute video they wanted to hit 90 minutes and that was what they came up with to fill it out?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah all the edgy racists who liked Get Out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Yeah all the edgy racists who have a black friend

• Locked thread