I would blow Dane Cook

Credlin’s loyalty to Abbott only fuels government disunity. Paul Murray cosies up to the extremists of One Nation and the libertarian gun enthusiast from the Liberal Democrats, David Leyonhjelm. He whales into the Liberal moderate Christopher Pyne as “piss-weak”, “useless”, “a wanker” and an “arsehole”, among other things. Bolt, broadcasting from under the stairs, instructs his viewers that it’s time to give up on the Liberal Party and back Cory Bernardi’s breakaway Australian Conservatives party.

Truly, Bill Shorten must be laughing. And Malcolm Turnbull’s only comfort is that hardly anyone is watching.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Read 'em and weep.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-09/defence-admits-delay-in-informing-residents-of-contamination/9027706

ABC posted:

The Department of Defence has admitted it should have warned the public about a chemical contamination scandal three years earlier than it did — and says the cost to taxpayers to clean up the problem nationwide will mount into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-04/pm-calls-for-national-database-of-drivers-licence-photos/9014098

Old news I guess but it hasn't become law yet. If this can be stopped it needs to be. This is over reach and another nail in the coffin of your freedoms and privacy. Have the greens even spoken up against it yet?

Is there a practical difference between them having passport photos (as they do already) and having licence photos?

This seems to be the least objectionable part of the terror-scare circus, which has more interestingly shown federal ministers to be afraid of pre-teens.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

A lot more people have a license than a passport, they get updated more regularly, they're more or less essential to have.

It wouldn't necessarily be a problem if we didn't have such a predictably hopeless government that will undoubtedly misuse the data. You can guarantee this will be sold of to, like, Westfield or something so they can identify you when you walk through the door target ads at you while you shop.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Cartoon posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-04/pm-calls-for-national-database-of-drivers-licence-photos/9014098

Old news I guess but it hasn't become law yet. If this can be stopped it needs to be. This is over reach and another nail in the coffin of your freedoms and privacy. Have the greens even spoken up against it yet?

I've seen things on facebook from a few big names but couldn't be bothered trying to wrestle facebook's search algorithm for sources

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
they already have access to the drivers licence's, it is just bureaucratic rigmarole to get them and they want to speed it up. I'm sitting in the middle on this one.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The tears coming from the rent seeker class at Dan Andrews tepid tenancy reforms are pretty delicious.
The cries of "It will raise rents!" and "Supply will drop!" are hilarious given the current oversupply of apartments in Melbourne.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Unfortunately my wife has bought the "but it's for terrorism!" line all the way. I'm trying to tell her how it's a very small step from this database being available to picking out faces from a protest against the government or what have you but all they have to do is push the line of "this is for terrorism, we swear" and people buy it.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I think the important point is that a drivers license is required for you to drive a vehicle and so you are obliged to have your photo taken for that purpose. Using it for any other purpose is over reach and needs to be stopped in principle.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Unfortunately my wife has bought the "but it's for terrorism!" line all the way. I'm trying to tell her how it's a very small step from this database being available to picking out faces from a protest against the government or what have you but all they have to do is push the line of "this is for terrorism, we swear" and people buy it.
But anyone ASIO or AFP have under surveillance would already be on their records because they'd have a warrant? Like, the warrant isn't exactly a hard barrier, it just adds a step to getting the data they want.

Also the easy work around any hypothetical terror plot would have for this is to just recruit young people without licenses to carry out activities. It's not like they're not breaking the law already.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Unfortunately my wife has bought the "but it's for terrorism!" line all the way. I'm trying to tell her how it's a very small step from this database being available to picking out faces from a protest against the government or what have you but all they have to do is push the line of "this is for terrorism, we swear" and people buy it.

Maybe kindly ask your wife to stop watching channel 7 and start reading some books before she starts bringing home MAGA caps and hanging up an A3 poster of Pauline in the front room.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

But anyone ASIO or AFP have under surveillance would already be on their records because they'd have a warrant? Like, the warrant isn't exactly a hard barrier, it just adds a step to getting the data they want.

Also the easy work around any hypothetical terror plot would have for this is to just recruit young people without licenses to carry out activities. It's not like they're not breaking the law already.

i agree its a needlessexpansion of powers.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Ironically exactly the same foam has been used at basically every airport in Australia but I haven't seen much about that

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Recoome posted:

Ironically exactly the same foam has been used at basically every airport in Australia but I haven't seen much about that

Scares the poo poo outta the greyhounds

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

Maybe kindly ask your wife to stop watching channel 7 and start reading some books before she starts bringing home MAGA caps and hanging up an A3 poster of Pauline in the front room.

She's a green voter but she's staunchly anti-terrorism so there :colbert:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MysticalMachineGun posted:

She's a green voter but she's staunchly anti-terrorism so there :colbert:

if she's green she should probably see a doctor

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Essentially they're bringing private rental into line with Vic govt public housing rules. That's going to make it tough to argue against, because the public housing rules have been around for quite a while.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've gotten an emails.

quote:

From: Citizenship Testing <citizenship.testing@border.gov.au>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Invitation to participate in a confidential research trial of new citizenship test questions [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

UNCLASSIFIED
Dear Sir/Madam
Confidential research trial of new citizenship test questions

On 20 April 2017, the Australian Government announced a package of reforms to strengthen the requirements for Australian citizenship that includes:

• increasing the general residence requirement
• introducing an English language test
• strengthening the Australian values statement
• strengthening the test for Australian citizenship
• introducing a requirement for applicants to demonstrate their integration into the Australian community, and
• strengthening the pledge.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (the Department) invites you, as a new Australian citizen, to participate in a confidential research trial of new Australian citizenship test questions.

The Department has engaged the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) to review the current Australian citizenship test and develop new test questions about Australian values and the privileges and responsibilities of Australian citizenship.

ACER advises that the research trial will involve participants attending an ACER Research Office for approximately 60 minutes. ACER’s offices are in Alexandria (Sydney, New South Wales) and Mulgrave (Melbourne, Victoria). ACER will conduct the trial over three weekends in late October-early November 2017. ACER will reimburse you for any transport costs you incur in attending the research trial.

The Department seeks your permission to provide your contact details including e-mail to ACER so they can contact you directly with further details. If you wish to participate, please respond with your name, current address and current email to citizenship.testing@border.gov.au by Friday 13 October 2017.

Yours sincerely

Citizenship Program Management
Department of Immigration and Border Protection

UNCLASSIFIED

Hmmmmmmm. Might be interesting, but on the other hand they'll probably just plow ahead with it regardless of research outcomes. IF this is legit. vOv

quote:

Important Notice: The content of this email is intended only for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email by mistake, please advise the sender and delete the message and attachments immediately. This email, including attachments, may contain confidential, sensitive, legally privileged and/or copyright information.
whoops ignore this bit

is this really how they do things like this? I keep seeing so much spam that everything starts to look like spam.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've gotten an emails.

Hmmmmmmm. Might be interesting, but on the other hand they'll probably just plow ahead with it regardless of research outcomes. IF this is legit. vOv

whoops ignore this bit

is this really how they do things like this? I keep seeing so much spam that everything starts to look like spam.

If it's being run by ACER it's legit. They do a lot of testing for various reputable institutions.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
How would one demonstrate their integration into Australian community. Comedy options aside, I'm genuinely interested as to what this would look like.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Fucks per minute in normal speech.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Zenithe posted:

How would one demonstrate their integration into Australian community. Comedy options aside, I'm genuinely interested as to what this would look like.

By obeying the law.

This was a reasonably interesting discussion mainly about the British citizenship test http://www.philosophy247.org/podcasts/citizenship/

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Knobb Manwich posted:

Fucks per second in normal speech.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

ewe2 posted:

Essentially they're bringing private rental into line with Vic govt public housing rules. That's going to make it tough to argue against, because the public housing rules have been around for quite a while.

I'm pretty fine with the changes, so long as the bond is still able to be used properly by the landlords. In the short amount of time we rented out our house in Sydney before selling it all three sets of tenants managed to do substantial, expensive damage that required nearly the entirety of their bonds. So long as it's still able to do its job, I'm fine with everything else (and we allowed pets, and the 2nd of the three fuckwits managed to completely destroy parts of the house by letting their large dogs just trash the place; loving ripped the wooden floors to shreds and damaged heaps of cabinets). Although we were in NSW so I'm not sure how the laws compare, directly.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I don't know about you but I run locked at 60FPS.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
AN LNP candidate has posed with a person in blackface in an Instagram post she has since deleted.

Redcliffe candidate Kerri-Anne Dooley posted the photo over the weekend with the caption: “Got to meet the lead singer of Yothu Yindi yesterday”.

It is understood Ms Dooley was attending a house-warming party at the time

Ms Dooley has apologised for the photo, saying that “on reflection” it was a mistake to post it.

“I attended an Australian themed house warming party where guests went as icons of prominent Australian identities,” she said in a statement.

“One person was a fan of the band Yothu Yindi and lead singer, the late Mandawuy Yunupingu. I posted a photo of us together on my Instagram feed.

“On reflection it was a mistake to post this photo and unprompted, I deleted it. I apologise for any offence that this may have caused.”

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
This Queensland election is gonna be a riot.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dude McAwesome posted:

If it's being run by ACER it's legit. They do a lot of testing for various reputable institutions.

whoops its ages away gently caress that.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Anidav posted:

It was a mistake to post this photo

Translation: I'm not sorry it happened, I'm sorry there's evidence.
Top-notch non-apology

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
How do they keep loving this up?

Like if you're singing along to a song and you accidentally say the n-word it's all good just apologise and move on that kind of thing can just happen. But it's not like anyone just slips into a pool of blackface before stumbling into a party and happens to photobomb a politician who puts the photo up without realising it. At each step some idiot thought yeah, this is the thing to do. I know you have to be a certain level of stupid to be LNP anyway but come on.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Futuresight posted:

How do they keep loving this up?

They don't understand why it's bad because they don't think it's bad.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah but even small children learn to not do things to avoid getting in trouble even if they don't understand why.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Possibly they also know it plays well to their racist supporters.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Ooh, you're right, that is a possibility. Do the racism to signal the base, apologise to minimise fallout in other demographics.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Futuresight posted:

How do they keep loving this up?

Like if you're singing along to a song and you accidentally say the n-word it's all good just apologise and move on that kind of thing can just happen. But it's not like anyone just slips into a pool of blackface before stumbling into a party and happens to photobomb a politician who puts the photo up without realising it. At each step some idiot thought yeah, this is the thing to do. I know you have to be a certain level of stupid to be LNP anyway but come on.

Some voters like a controversial candidate. LNP is trying to take Phon identity to local level campaigns.

"I mean sure, he had sex with a dog but he is an outsider!"

Mainstream parties are trying to latch onto the gently caress the mainstream tidal wave any way they can and it wouldn't surprise me if it was intentionally posted just to make headlines and to rally the PC gone too far crowd.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-09/conventional-gas-drilling-ban-lifted-vic-coaltion/9029292

Victorian Liberal State leader Matthew "Lobster with a Mobster" Guy wants the Gas Drilling ban lifted if he's elected next year.

Thank you for painting an even larger target on yourself Guy. All Labor and the Greens need to do is point at Guy and tell farmers he's going to gently caress their land.

cohsae

Yiannopoulos’s tour is being brought to Australia by Penthouse magazine, whose publisher Damien Costas compared the right-wing agitator to Martin Luther King and the freedom riders of the 1960s.

quote:

Markson described it “an exciting project” and brushed aside the often extreme and divisive nature of Yiannopoulos’s rants.

“The world has changed over the last two years with Brexit and Donald Trump and I think Milo talks a lot of common sense, as does Andrew Bolt and Mark Latham,” he told Mumbrella. “Milo is amazing. He is incredibly articulate, witty, funny and politically incorrect.”

I mean these are quotes from PR people so of course they're absurd, but there is a not-insignificant number of people who actually believe this poo poo and it blows my loving mind.
Best response to Milo would be complete silence as all he knows how to do is be a troll. But of course he's apparently already lined up to do a bunch of interviews on radio and TV. Count on the mainstream media to give a platform to absolute shitheads to spread their awful views. Luckily that's never backfired in this country...

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The most shocking thing is Penthouse magazine still exists.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

cohsae posted:

I mean these are quotes from PR people so of course they're absurd, but there is a not-insignificant number of people who actually believe this poo poo and it blows my loving mind.
Best response to Milo would be complete silence as all he knows how to do is be a troll. But of course he's apparently already lined up to do a bunch of interviews on radio and TV. Count on the mainstream media to give a platform to absolute shitheads to spread their awful views. Luckily that's never backfired in this country...

Dear Australian Media,

Please do not give any coverage or exposure to known paedophile apologist George Pell Milo Yiannopoulos.

Wait.. poo poo.

EDIT: Also his last name sounds like something out of a bojack name joke.. "We can't block the talks 'cause Yiannopoulus's pedo populus will throttle us."

  • Locked thread