Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Anime-gataris seems interesting enough from the first episode. It's obviously far from being a typical anime about anime fans, but the direction it's going is still a mystery (which is very likely intended). It's a shame they couldn't get more meta with the ED, but that costs money which original series don't get much of.

edit: and if you want to talk about dark horse series that no one will take notice of, this is it. The last series that was produced by this company was Time Travel Shoujo

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

hot takes fall 2k17

drunk wife short anime - adequate? not as cute or fun as I thought it'd be. I guess there's academic value in the cocktails they'll be showing each episode.

Just Because - I like that some of these high schoolers smoke and are kind of disaffected. Does Japan have trains that connect to the rail only on the top? That's weird. I learned that the military-style Japanese uniforms are apparently called "gakuran" so that's neat. Overall, also adequate. I hope the transfer student and photography girl save the photography club. I'll watch a few more for curiosity's sake.

Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World - pretty much what I wanted, which is more Kino in fun places.

Code: Realize - A worse anime London than Princess Principal, but a welcome weird diversion. Victorian literary characters as anime is fine with me, but this one is on thin ice. Seems way generic.

Land of the Lustrous - is absolutely my poo poo. When they started talking about the different mineral girls in terms of their rating on the Moh's hardness scale I got way more into it. This is what Steven Universe should have been.

Girls' Last Tour - the tank motorcycle seems very slow. The musical choices are more contemplative and ethereal than I thought it would be. curious for the setting to get developed, and for corpses to show up in this art style. Definitely keeping up with this one.

I still need to watch Ancient Magus' Bride and BBB&Y... and whatever else ends up being good. I'm still watching Mahoujin Guru Guru, too, since that show is pure joy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Anime-gataris seems interesting enough from the first episode. It's obviously far from being a typical anime about anime fans, but the direction it's going is still a mystery (which is very likely intended). It's a shame they couldn't get more meta with the ED, but that costs money which original series don't get much of.

edit: and if you want to talk about dark horse series that no one will take notice of, this is it. The last series that was produced by this company was Time Travel Shoujo

huh. that sure explains why they referenced it, i thought i was going insane.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
[quote="“Strange Quark”" post="“477183429”"]
I, as a straight man,
[/quote]

Irrelevant to post, but it's actually the opposite, I'm gay and avoid obvious waifu shows like the plague. Which means if a show has one completely vanilla guy and a lot of eye candy women, I'll let the populace tell me if it's good or not.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm gonna recommend everyone watch the first 90 seconds of the imouto show

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Craptacular! posted:

Really? A rough image search brings up these team action shots of what appears to be about ten women and one big guy. I mean I can get down with that if the show is good enough and it's not just for the boys at home to play "find your type". The only reason I brought up gender ratio is because I usually avoid a show if it looks like it has a cast intended for gently caress/Marry/Kill.
Don't let the weird art style throw you off! LoL is absolutely not a harem show. The characters are androgynous gems without even the concept of genders. They're born from crystals in the sea foam, and while they revere 'Sensei', the male-looking figure, he is distant, alien and hoards secrets.

It's closer to Attack on Titan by way of Madoka Magicka. Over the past few years of manga, the wide-eyed naive protagonist has become horrifyingly aware of the true nature of their world, and for all the rights reasons became anime lucifer.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

:yikes:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
What should I watch this season? Nothing's really jumping out to me. The recs thread seems pretty quiet.

Recent shows I've liked:

Winter '16-17
Demi-Chan
Konosuba
LWA
ACCA
Mob Psycho 100

Spring-Summer '17
MHA
Princess Principal!
Symphogear!
Centaur's Worries

Oh god, does this mean I like moe

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 9, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If moe means "girls punching/shooting/exploding things" then yes

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that's what it means to me

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kino's journey and recovery of an mmo junkie are good and should fit with the sorts of shows you posted

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Eela6 posted:

What should I watch this season? Nothing's really jumping out to me. The recs thread seems pretty quiet.

Recent shows I've liked:

Winter '16-17
Demi-Chan
Konosuba
LWA
ACCA

Spring-Summer '17
MHA
Princess Principal!
Symphogear!
Centaur's Worries

Oh god, does this mean I like moe

houseki no kuni
girls' last tour
kino's journey

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

or you could pop back to last season for runaway hits made in abyss, gamers, and mahoujin guru guru

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

dogsicle posted:

or you could pop back to last season for runaway hits made in abyss, gamers, and mahoujin guru guru

these are all p. strong recs too

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

dogsicle posted:

Make a webm

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
thanks crew!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also if you watch the first ep of kino's journey and like it, you should check out the old show from the 2000s cause it's one of the best anime ever made and covers different material

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Knorth posted:

Make a webm

it's too lewd to post :(

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I have first-episode impressions. After experiencing Made in Abyss last season, it's nice to have so many laid-back, happy shows to watch.

Urahara: Really stylish and cheerful, but I hope they start going somewhere with it all.

Konohana Kitan: If Hanasaku Iroha took place in Japari Park, it would be a little something like this.

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou: This ended up being much more laid-back and reflective than I was expecting. Does anyone remember an old webcomic called Gone with the Blastwave? This This reminded me of it.

Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls Gekijou: More idols!

Love Live! Sunshine!!: MORE IDOLS!!!

I really got blindsided by all the shows that interest me this season. I still have to watch Kino, Yuki Yuuna, Mahou Tsukai no Yome...

... Oh, great! Now I have to watch this, too!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

dogsicle posted:

dont forget katsugeki touken ranbu

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

dont forget katsugeki touken ranbu

hmm nope, i checked my list and this one was mostly bad

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Then don't forget Princess Principal, instead.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Is Mikazuki an old man in that one?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

And then immediately stop so as to not get any kind of context. No it doesn't help and idk why they led with it besides it being how it started in the source material (I assume).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

I ended up watching the whole thing and:

First 90 seconds: :yikes: of the highest order, well past comedic spectacle territory.
Next 20 minutes: Boring, one-note characters doing nothing interesting. Also a bizarrely oversexed girl that's impossible to like.
Last 90 seconds: Maybe there is, in fact, a plot? Maybe?

So really skip 90% of the first episode and you've got a premise... maybe.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Command Ant posted:

Then don't forget Princess Principal, instead.

this whole chain was started to recommend shows to a person who has already seen pripri! gosh!!!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Knorth posted:

Is Mikazuki an old man in that one?

he's incredibly smug and wise, it's great

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Good :3:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

dogsicle posted:

hmm nope, i checked my list and this one was mostly bad

i think this is a problem with your list

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

dogsicle posted:

this whole chain was started to recommend shows to a person who has already seen pripri! gosh!!!

I don't mind

it was so good

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just watched Land of the Lustrous and Girl's Last Tour.

Lustrous: 3DCG anime has come a long way to becoming bearable, and I think it works here. The show itself is an odd one but did a good enough job with its initial setup and I love the look. Idk that I cared enough to stick with it though.

Tour: The carefree indifference of Kino's Journey set in the endless hellscape of Blame!, but rooted in WWII iconography rather than Blame!'s neo-industrial styling. No idea where this is going but it's incredibly adorable and relaxing and will hopefully scratch my Made In Abyss adventure itch.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

i'm happy to report that true dark horse of the 2017 fall season TWOCAR is, in fact, good

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ViggyNash posted:

Just watched Land of the Lustrous and Girl's Last Tour.

Lustrous: 3DCG anime has come a long way to becoming bearable, and I think it works here. The show itself is an odd one but did a good enough job with its initial setup and I love the look. Idk that I cared enough to stick with it though.

Tour: The carefree indifference of Kino's Journey set in the endless hellscape of Blame!, but rooted in WWII iconography rather than Blame!'s neo-industrial styling. No idea where this is going but it's incredibly adorable and relaxing and will hopefully scratch my Made In Abyss adventure itch.

Watched the first eps of both, will probably give it each two more.

Lustrous works with 3DCG because well, the main chars aren't human and when that gets accepted it works well (obvious CGI for non-human beings to me is perfectly fine). The Master wasn't as blatant CGI if he was anyway.

Tour on the other hand, does not do so hot in that dept, but it's cute enough anyway.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

dogsicle posted:

Lol That sure was a thing I just saw. He truly is a master of prose

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

iospace posted:

Watched the first eps of both, will probably give it each two more.

Lustrous works with 3DCG because well, the main chars aren't human and when that gets accepted it works well (obvious CGI for non-human beings to me is perfectly fine). The Master wasn't as blatant CGI if he was anyway.

Tour on the other hand, does not do so hot in that dept, but it's cute enough anyway.

Yeah... Tour's CG was not great. I expect better out of White Fox.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

dogsicle posted:

It's been a while since I've rated a show 1/10, mostly for being a nice guy and being much better able to avoid bad shows.

I have rated this show a 1/10.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i need to try the stout they drink in ep 1 before i lay out my judgment on it

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Xelkelvos posted:

This is not helped by the fact that Umaru is the worst of the four main girls.

I don't think that's fair. She's definitely a more likeable character than is Kyrie (regardless of the fact that Boomer is better than Umaru's brother). I would probably place Umaru above Sylphynford too, but I'm less sure about that one. Do her occasional moments of greatness (like her big entrance at the game in S2E1) redeem the fact that her one note competitive shtick has been old since the second time we saw it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sylphynford is the best character in the show motherfucker

you can't see my old avs so you cannot accuse me of having any bias

• Locked thread