Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yeah, the reroll grind is kind of baked in to most gacha games. It's hard to beat having an effectively unlimited wallet to try over and over to get one of the very best units in the game.

At least in FFBE once you get that top tier 5* chainer you can compile a viable team of 4*s and do anything you'd want to do. The 5* rates are absurdly awful, but you don't have to field a full team of them.

Edit: JP is getting Ronald Reagan? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I donno, I've been playing for a few months now and said "I'm really glad I have Fryevia as a chainer here" approximately zero times. She's been great on my team, but just for basic damage from her strong AoE and FFB being a self-imperil. I'd say "don't invest a whole bunch of resources into bad characters" and "get some folks on your friendslist who are willing/able to post carries for event bosses" are much more important bits of advice to keep up to speed than "throw out anything you get until you match one of the best of the best pulls."

Really what you're looking for is units who are strong and at least a bit evergreen who you can invest in without some new hotness making them "useless" next month, ideally with some TMRs you're okay dumping moogles into. You're not gonna fall rear end-first into killing current endgame stuff, that's just where you'd like to end up down the road.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Would someone with a powerful lead please friend me at 353,842,764?
I would like to finish Ayaka's quest so I can get that White Mage Robe, but I only have a pair of cactuar'd up 5*s to fight with.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Would someone with a powerful lead please friend me at 353,842,764?
I would like to finish Ayaka's quest so I can get that White Mage Robe, but I only have a pair of cactuar'd up 5*s to fight with.

Sent! woo hoo free 100 lapis

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BGrifter posted:

Edit: JP is getting Ronald Reagan? :stare:

It's the romanized equivalent of Rain's Dad, Raegen. Assumedly by the "CG", this is his post-timeskip/Season 2 version.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Chaining is a bit too strong in the game

a lot of stuff that was troublesome for me was made absolutely trivial when Orlandeau dropped. Dualandeau is loving stupid when it first came out.
Hell the tried and true gimmicky build if you wanted to chain and poo poo out damage was abusing Edgar.

Speaking of which where the gently caress is the Figabros loving 6* already? Or even a loving 5* for christ sake. I dont understand how they haven't given all of the already available FF guys 6* by this point.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shoenin posted:

Speaking of which where the gently caress is the Figabros loving 6* already? Or even a loving 5* for christ sake. I dont understand how they haven't given all of the already available FF guys 6* by this point.

Because the FF guys are a hook meant to lure in players, but the OCs are who Gumi really wants to push sales for. Consider how many Veritas or Wilhelm or Ayakas we have compared to our Orlandeaus or Onion Knights. Look at how many Gumi originals have 6* forms/ability awakenings compared to FF characters.

It's entirely possible that it's because S-E has specific rules Gumi has to adhere to with their characters, but I have no way of confirming or denying conspiracy theories like that. If they have a carte blanche with their own OCs but have to follow a set of guidelines for the nostalgiabait, then it's incredibly likely that all of the focus will go where they can just go nuts and do whatever the hell they want.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

KataraniSword posted:

It's the romanized equivalent of Rain's Dad, Raegen. Assumedly by the "CG", this is his post-timeskip/Season 2 version.

It's a drat shame. A series of American Presidents would be the best patch ever. I'd whale for FDR.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Anyone even remotely sane would quit the game and never look back after a week with unenhanced Agrias and Chizuru as their chainers.

Starting the game and hoping to luck into a 5* chainer is pretty much the worst advice you could give to a new player. The game is littered with dead accounts who did then pulled Ramza/Lightning/DK Cecil as their only 5*s in six months of play.

If you choose to start without a 5* chainer unless you're spectacularly lucky be prepared to back up a dump truck full of cash to fix your mistake 2-3 months into playing.

Are you loving running into the gilgamesh trial day 1? for about half this game's first year there were no chainers outside of a loving edgar. I went all the way up to trance terra's banner with my best unit being ligtning, y'all spoiled as hell.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 9, 2017

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Tengames posted:

Are you loving running into the gilgamesh trial day 1? for about half this game's first year there were no chainers outside of a loving edgar. I went all the way up to trance terra's banner with my best unit being ligtning, y'all spoiled as hell.

Just because you walked uphill both ways in knee deep snow doesn't mean new players should Grandpa. They have a better option.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Just because you walked uphill both ways in knee deep snow doesn't mean new players should Grandpa. They have a better option.

I beat the ultros and malboro trials with setzers and it was the easier option. Maybe you should actually learn the game beyond letting dual orlandus carry you before telling people to trash thier re-rolls.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I find that having better survivability is more useful than more damage. None of the bosses have a damage race mechanic except for beat the boss in 20 turns and that's just with Sheratan iirc.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Tengames posted:

I beat the ultros and malboro trials with setzers and it was the easier option. Maybe you should actually learn the game beyond letting dual orlandus carry you before telling people to trash thier re-rolls.

It's like you're actively trying to create another Biske. :psyduck:

Edit: I've given Ten enough poo poo for one day.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 9, 2017

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Tengames posted:

I would be, if I was starting now.

There's goons offering Gilgamesh and dark esper carry units in this thread, so clearing both of those in your first week is completely reasonable. And in discord we'll make carry units for new ELT missions when possible, so newbie can get the rewards from those.

None of the 4* DPS units are comparable to the 5* chainer DPS units (except enhanced Agarias). While the 4* healer/support units are still quite usable compared to Ayaka and Tilith.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Edit: You guys are missing Tenblade having the most hilarious temper tantrum on Discord if you're not in there. Seriously get in there!

I'm already done, people have already given plenty of counterarguements for having a dps base 5.

Don't be an rear end in the discord to people, me or otherwise. Its like literally the only rule patware made.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 9, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tengames posted:

Christ, if you get an Ayaka, KEEP HER!. this advice of seeking a chainer is terrible, no newbie is going to have the TMs to make them powerful for months, and newbies are going to have a ton of new dps banners to daily on, and a garunteed 5* banner in december (accordign to leaks) so not starting with a dps unit is far from terrible, especially with there being no shortage of them on friends lists. Until then, unenhanced arigas, ashe, and setzers will do the job just fine. Heck even chizuru can work since you can get decent katanas from the vortex, lasswells trial, and gilgamesh which someone can help you cheese.
It's super hosed up people are advocating someone re-roll this game for multiple 5* units, especially when one isn't even on-banner. If people had told me to do that when I first started I don't think I would have kept playing even. What the christ.

AegisP posted:

They need to do more of this, and I'm glad they're varying the costs for the Step Ups around.

I'm really hoping they try out step up banners on global with some of the global exclusive poo poo because they sound really cool and I want free 5*s for banners I'd be throwing my lapis at anyway.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
We chatted about this in the discord room a bit but I think I'm one of the few if not only ones to say "ayaka + something". I'm not advocating rerolling for something that specific, but basically you're going to be more limited by your highest damage dealer(s) than you are going to be freed by Ayaka to do things. She is a very nice healer. But you can absolutely get hard hosed by the RNG on pulling a top tier dps, which is an incredibly valuable thing to have in the long run. Whereas Refia, Fina, et al are perfectly capable of fill the healer slot. Hell pretty soon we'll have another pass at Y'shtola freebies for the noobs.

If you desperately want Ayaka, then at least go for her plus some good damage. If I could give myself advice for starting out right now it would be to roll a DV and go from there. BIS TM for a lot of people - himself included -, 45% AoE full break, on demand party dr and Cid chaining. The value on that guy is insane plus he's also a damage monster. But basically any of the top tier chainers are perfectly fine.

You can do any of the challenging stuff (robot, malboro, sheratan, etc) with significantly less than the highest tier of units. But you're only going to complete those once. After the 500th time of mashing your face into shadow lord you're really going to wish you had had a better dps so you could finish the fight in 2 rounds instead of 7. Or after the billionth time of beating up Rain and Lasswell farming giancrysts you're really going to wish you could have killed them in two turns instead of 5. And so on. THAT is why you want top tier dps.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 9, 2017

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Is Ayaka that goddamn good that I should throw my 25 tickets at her? I've been using Yshtola and Refia as my healers as I never got Tilith and they've seemed to fair okay...

e: I kinda wanted to save up for the fiends and Cloud but I mean if she's game busting op that's another bird, I guess

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Servaetes posted:

Is Ayaka that goddamn good that I should throw my 25 tickets at her? I've been using Yshtola and Refia as my healers as I never got Tilith and they've seemed to fair okay...

e: I kinda wanted to save up for the fiends and Cloud but I mean if she's game busting op that's another bird, I guess

If the last 50 posts show you anything, its that contextless game strat is meaningless. Who do you have that's worth more than a pizza shaped nipple?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I didn't have a 5* chainer until a year into the game and content wasn't really troublesome without one. My best character was Gilgamesh for the longest time.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
I'd honestly say that healers are more valuable just because nobody shares healers, but everyone shares chainers. You get an Agrias (you WILL get an Agrias at some point) and a Friendlandu and you're good to go for basically everything other than 10 man trials, which one 5-star DPS won't be enough to help with anyway.

For the better part of a year my only 5* damage units were un-enhanced Luneth and Yun, but I was able to get through the majority of the trials because I got Tilith super early on and she was able to keep them and my friend carry up with the toolkit and throughput that Refia, Y'shtola, et. all lacked. Ayaka is basically Tillith, but better in every conceivable way, so I'd totally be on board with keeping her and not going through the nightmare of endless rerolls chasing off-banner 5 stars that will probably end up being Ramza or Lightning, anyway.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Im trying to remember who my 1st 5* was

Think it was Donkey Kong Cecil, when everyone said he was bad but he did fine with me.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
If I were to tell someone to reroll for a unit, I'd say reroll for Onion Knight. Straight out of the gate that little guy comes out swinging. He STARTS with Dual Wield, and can wield pretty much anything you pick up. Covers a bunch of elements, has essentially Bar-agas, and he chains ridiculously with other OKs, and has massive enhancements down the pipeline when you're ready for all that. He is the best starting unit I could think of.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

BGrifter posted:

It's a drat shame. A series of American Presidents would be the best patch ever. I'd whale for FDR.

This, but Nixon. Watergate LB.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Servaetes posted:

ayaka is currently the best healer in the game, and is still one of the best in the current jp meta , with cg fina being more of a side grade.

New curaja might as well be a full heal to everyone but your tank unit, and she can dual cast by defualt, which is great because outside of event y'shtolas, the only dualcast healers you can draw is other 5* unit rem.(veritas of water has to waste a turn activating dualcast,and having spare turns is a luxury in harder content )

in addition she has built in auto refresh, full-raise, re-raise, and aoe raise, mp refresh, a regen on the level of 9s's TM skill, a heal+esunga aoe, built in camoflague, is the only unit in the entire game with innate stop immunity, can heal stop, and has a limit break that can aoe fullheal, aoe full revive, and cure stop and charm, which cant normally be healed outside of dispelling.

If you got most of those other roles, she's not as vital unless you want to never lose in arena, but for a new player she's going to cover an absolute ton of roles and make it hard to completely wipe at the beginning of the game.

If ys'htola's doing just fine and you want cloud, go ahead and draw for cloud, then wait for CG fina next year.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)

BGrifter posted:

Eisenhower

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
Listen. I have been playing Final Fantasies for more than 30 years, so believe me when I tell you that a Trump unit would be the best unit in all of the Fantasies. The best.

Make Gumi great again!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt and Lincoln. Each one's LB is a piece of Mt Rushmore and if you do all four at once there's a synergy damage boost (and extra Freedom)

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
You know they gotta put in Harding as the new Shadow

Harrison becomes either the new Bedile or the new Rassler to much annoyance.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

drat, look at this compensation!

Hi Wilhelm! (popped out of my 5* ticket)

Edit: Got Dark Fina out of the Ex Tickets too! Any ideas how to use these guys, thread?

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 9, 2017

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
SPEAKING OF Re-rolling for 5*'s, Gumi just gave a ticket for one.

will save because im that hopelessly optimistic well get the SD3 event somehow in someway.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Wilhelm is one of the best if not the best tank. Upgrade his LB as much as possible before you awaken him, it's 50% AoE damage mitgation at maximum.
Dark Fina is up there with the top magic units right now provided you enhance her Ultima and dualcast it with another DFina. However, I think TTerra and Emperor are getting upgrades this month, dethroning her.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

:eyepop: I'm hoarding this ticket until cloud gets added. Or the halloween poo poo. I haven't decided yet. Dang that's great compensation. They should do this every time they gently caress up.

Shoenin posted:

SPEAKING OF Re-rolling for 5*'s, Gumi just gave a ticket for one.

will save because im that hopelessly optimistic well get the SD3 event somehow in someway.

Aren't we getting that Valkyrie profile as a global exclusive?

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Got a Knight Delita as my guaranteed 5 star, how good is he? For comparisons sake, I DO have Orladeau.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
was it stated to be Global Exclusive? That'd be pretty weird to have that be Global only.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The man called M posted:

Got a Knight Delita as my guaranteed 5 star, how good is he? For comparisons sake, I DO have Orladeau.

His LB, when levelled up fully, is the best single-target ATK/MAG debuff in the game currently, and he has an AoE Curaga-level (except for himself) heal. Past that, his stuff is either already done by Orlandeau (Lightning Stab/Stasis Sword, Crush Weapon) or is way too awkward to use effectively (his chaining move). That said, he works well on Ashe teams and has a frame-mate with Light Veritas.

He'd be an okay finisher if you've already got Orlandeau (his finisher move is his lightning-imperil instead of an imbue, so it doesn't get in the way of a holy-elemental build really) but past that, he's mostly 10-man fodder. He's got the problem of doing a bunch of things well but not doing any of them great enough to stand out against specialized beatsticks like Orlandeau or OK.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Can someone summarize the weird rates for the 11 pulls, whether or not the 11 pull tickets work the same, and when/if they're changing anything?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Skyridge posted:

Can someone summarize the weird rates for the 11 pulls, whether or not the 11 pull tickets work the same, and when/if they're changing anything?

The +1 on a 10+1 pull is a "guaranteed 4* or better", which mostly means it boosts the rates by 5x all around - you have a 95% chance of a 4* summon and a 5% chance of a 5* (up from 19% and 1%, respectively).

Where things get weird is that the banner rates (on 5000 lapis 10+1 pulls on a banner) are not the improved rates that JP has published - instead of 4* units being 50% rate-up unit on a Guaranteed 4+ roll, they're closer to ~25% rate-up, same as if you'd done the pull normally by hand. 5* rates off a Guaranteed pull are 75% on-banner like JP advertises, however.

The 11-pull tickets pull from the General Summon rates, however, so there's no "rate up" to speak of. It's just 10 random rolls and one G4+ roll.

tl;dr: If you're doing an 11 pull on a banner, your 4* units aren't going to be any more likely to be on-banner than if you just did 11 individual pulls.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
The notables off the comp tickets: Dark Knight Cecil, Snow #2, and Gaffgarion #2 :negative:

At least another potential bracer and champ belt are nice, but oh DKC, why can't you be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So now my aspect ratio for this game is broken and everything is stretched vertically for some reason. What the gently caress?

• Locked thread