Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

i somehow forgot one of the important passwords i type in all the time and in trying different permutations of it i think i might have scrambled my muscle memory. i know approximately what it should be, is there a tool that will start with a string and generate every possible permutation of that string that substitutes single letters for other ones, then tries inserting characters, then does both? i could write a script i guess but this seems like the sort of thing that would exist

fyi that's how dictionary password crackers work. if it's not on anything that can get blocked, john the ripper and cain & abel have have generators that do just that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah or speed it up with your gpu by using oclhashcat

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
take the Archer route and drink until you remember it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It's too late, you have The Yips, that password is never coming back.

That's why I always write down my password and put it under my keyboard.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

yea sleep on it

ive forgotten passwords before but theyll come back to you if you step away and take the time (sometimes, anyway)

def dont try to bruteforce your own password, thatll probably kill your account

it's a keep rear end password so like, i can try it all i want :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rectus posted:

fyi that's how dictionary password crackers work. if it's not on anything that can get blocked, john the ripper and cain & abel have have generators that do just that

i started to set up john for this since it has a script for keep rear end but as far as i can tell it doesn't take keyfiles into account (this has one in addition to the password) and i'm not really sure how to get it to just generically spit out a list of permutations given a word so :shrug:

i'll see if it magically works in the morning

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

That's why I always write down my password and put it under my keyboard.

originally when i first made this password i wrote it on two sheets of paper and hid one under [something] and gave my wife the other one in case i, idk, died and she needed to get at some accounts

now i can't remember what [something] is and my wife doesn't remember me giving her that other paper at all so so much for that :saddowns:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

If you have a safe for documents or something, it seems like a perfectly reasonable place for Important passwords too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

[quote="“pseudorandom name”" post="“477170710”"]
my Apple ID muscle memory works flawlessly on the iOS keyboard but stutters badly on a real keyboard; maybe try replicating the circumstances where you used to type it in as much as you can
[/quote]

iOS 11 changed the iPad keyboard layout :rip:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

If you have a safe for documents or something, it seems like a perfectly reasonable place for Important passwords too.

yeah i have a envelope for my wife in a fireproof safe, labeled "open in the event of my death or long term mental incapacitation"

also makes me feel better for my own sake, to not have my memory of my keepass passphrase be a single point of failure, if i get a brain injury and am conscious and functional but selectively forget how to access literally all of my passwords

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lysidas posted:

yeah i have a envelope for my wife in a fireproof safe, labeled "open in the event of my death or long term mental incapacitation"

so how long ago did she open it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:vince:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

infernal machines posted:

the moment she realized he posts on SA

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

jesus

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

rack em

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

see you all in the new thread

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/0xAmit/status/916810108516134912

yum grocerylist

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I've never heard of the BIZERBA brand touchscreen, or is that the brand of the whole point of sale system for the self-checkout?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ive never seen a Linux based self checkout. ive seen terrible Linux based cashier facing poses tho.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

:golfclap:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

ive never seen a Linux based self checkout. ive seen terrible Linux based cashier facing poses tho.

self checkouts around here run on redhat that runs in vmware workstation that runs on windows xp. no, i don't know why. a guy was debugging one one time as i was standing there, and it booted into xp, auto logged in, ran a .bat file that started vmware, and then redhat booted up and ran in fullscreen for the ui.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the hardware only runs or is only certified for xp, the software only runs in lunix, someone was told to figure it out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Truga posted:

self checkouts around here run on redhat that runs in vmware workstation that runs on windows xp. no, i don't know why. a guy was debugging one one time as i was standing there, and it booted into xp, auto logged in, ran a .bat file that started vmware, and then redhat booted up and ran in fullscreen for the ui.

afaict everyone around here uses the same vendor for self checkout and its all windows 7 embedded.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

the hardware only runs or is only certified for xp, the software only runs in lunix, someone was told to figure it out

almost certainly, coupled with "we arent going to budget to replace hardware or software, we just bought this stuff 8 years ago" :shepface:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:drat:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mo_Steel posted:

I've never heard of the BIZERBA brand touchscreen, or is that the brand of the whole point of sale system for the self-checkout?

https://www.bizerba.com/en_gb/products/retail-scales/pc-scales-k-class-flex/k-class-flex/k-class-flex.html

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

:thurman:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Muscle memory passwords are great until you have to go to the printer and log in with their poo poo touch screen.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol if u have to log into a printer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how else do you track your billables?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

from the pc you use to send the file to the printer?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gently caress, man. enough

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

from the pc you use to send the file to the printer?

yeah, but sometimes you gotta photocopy, or god forbid, fax

gotta itemize that poo poo somehow.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

thats the pa's job

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

yeah, but sometimes you gotta photocopy, or god forbid, fax

gotta itemize that poo poo somehow.

Then use a common access card and pin what the gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, no, you use a client code, or user specific access card

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

whelp sleeping did nothing and i wrote a script to try some basic combinations that hasn't found it either :sigh:

e: wait gently caress i just realized the thing i was using to check the passwords only supports KP1 files and this is KP2 aagh

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 9, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ate all the Oreos posted:

whelp sleeping did nothing and i wrote a script to try some basic combinations that hasn't found it either :sigh:

e: wait gently caress i just realized the thing i was using to check the passwords only supports KP1 files and this is KP2 aagh

Cause your script makes keys but it's no dice
Yeah your script pastes keys but it's no dice
And it blows, yeah, yeah, yeah
'Cause you make me feel like, I've been locked out of my accounts
For too long, for too long
Yeah you make me feel like, I've been locked out of my accounts
For too long, for too long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-fA-gBCkj0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014