Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Double post but jesus gently caress this deserves it's own post.

Guardian AU posted:

The energy minister, Josh Frydenberg, says Australia’s electricity sector is looking for stability, “not necessarily” for handouts, in a signal the Turnbull government is poised to abandon the clean energy target.

In comments to an energy summit on Monday, Frydenberg pointed to the falling costs of renewable energy as one of the calculations in the government’s consideration of the clean energy target recommended by the chief scientist, Alan Finkel.

Asking whether the falling costs of renewables meant Australia no longer need a clean energy target, which subsidises renewables, Frydenberg said: “Industry is looking for stability, they’re not necessarily looking for a handout.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/oct/09/frydenberg-signals-government-poised-to-abandon-clean-energy-target

The hypocrisy loving staggers the mind.

EDIT: I fuckin die.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/oct/09/nsw-to-approve-coalmine-blocked-by-courts-for-polluting-sydneys-drinking-water

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The Clean Energy Target looks like it would be pretty easy to corrupt and use as a mechanism to funnel money to your mates anyway. Why not just do that?

open24hours fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 9, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Because the right wing of the Coalition is adamantly opposed to doing anything about climate change.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's the thing I don't get about the Abbott style of Liberal. You can still do nothing about climate change without telling everyone you're going to do nothing about climate change. There's just this pathological desire for belligerence and it never works out well for them.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

open24hours posted:

That's the thing I don't get about the Abbott style of Liberal. You can still do nothing about climate change without telling everyone you're going to do nothing about climate change. There's just this pathological desire for belligerence and it never works out well for them.

they're in government aren't they?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Sure, but only just. If they just shut up about these things maybe Turnbull wouldn't have led the party to a worse result than Tony loving Abbott.

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

open24hours posted:

Sure, but only just. If they just shut up about these things maybe Turnbull wouldn't have led the party to a worse result than Tony loving Abbott.

And if they shut up maybe Shorten will start talking, which could give the coalition the boost it really needs.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

open24hours posted:

Malcolm is a LINO, they don't care about himm, they only care that they're still setting policy and waging the culture war

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Someone needs to tell the LNP that Labor is trying to ban the consumption of mercury.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

hooman posted:

Dear Australian Media,

Please do not give any coverage or exposure to known paedophile apologist George Pell Milo Yiannopoulos.

Wait.. poo poo.

EDIT: Also his last name sounds like something out of a bojack name joke.. "We can't block the talks 'cause Yiannopoulus's pedo populus will throttle us."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_biqk-lqsXQ

Too late fucko, Sunrise will always cover Nazis.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The guy is scum, but he's obviously highly trained scum. Spent too much time interviewing Hanson and got complacent.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

open24hours posted:

The guy is scum, but he's obviously highly trained scum. Spent too much time interviewing Hanson and got complacent.

Yiannapolis isn't a very nice person either

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WHO'S HYPED FOR THIS WEEK'S HIGH COURT SHENANNIGANS?!

quote:

Matt Canavan suggests he could quit politics if high court rules him ineligible
Nationals senator says if he loses his dual citizenship case, ‘we’ll just see what happens next for me’

:allears:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't care deeply about anyone getting done in this outside of Canavan because they'll just get replaced with more dogshit. This bloke can get hosed though. He's not even crazy like the others, he's just a massive arsehole.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/philosophy-lessons-lead-to-better-behaviour-and-marks-in-sydney-school-20171005-gyusfj

quote:

Philosophy lessons lead to better behaviour and marks in Sydney school

Every Wednesday afternoon in term 3, all students at Malabar Public School put away their textbooks and gather in their classrooms to talk about everything from beauty and fear to terrorism and other global issues.

The hour-long lesson is part of a growing movement to bring philosophy into public schools.

In Kindergarten, teachers bring out a "toolbox" for discussions and ask students simple questions such as "what is your favourite fruit?"

"One of the tools might be the word 'because', which tells them that when they answer a question they need to use the because tool," said Rachel Borthwick, who is a year 2 teacher at the school.

"It equips them with reasoning skills and whether they agree or disagree with each other, they've always got to back that up."

Malabar's principal Neil Atwell, who led the initial development of a philosophy program and resources more than a decade ago when he was principal at Stanmore Public School, said his original aim was to help the school stand out and improve debating skills.

However, Mr Atwell said he soon started seeing other benefits.

"Behaviour started improving in the classroom and the playground, we weren't having children resorting to antisocial behaviours to solve problems but using words to sort their differences out instead," Mr Atwell said.

Ms Borthwick said she has seen children using their new skills to solve issues around exclusion and friendship.

"Little gripes like someone saying 'you can't play with me today', you see them using language skills to reason with each other and say things like 'we shouldn't be excluding each other because we're friends and we've all got feelings'," Ms Borthwick said.

Olivia Aristides, 11, who is in year 6 at the school, said having philosophy lessons since Kindergarten have helped her class "go really deep into everything we talk about".

"The other day we were asked 'would you rather discover a planet or find a cure to cancer," Olivia said.

"I chose find a cure and we talked about how we think of the people we love before ourselves and think of the benefits to the world beyond us.

"Our class is always having a philosophy lesson, we've learnt to justify our reasons and show our answers in that way. Using those skills helps us get higher marks in our writing and stuff like that."

Ms Borthwick said two of the three schools she has taught at have philosophy programs in place and "the difference when they didn't ... was huge".

"They're so much more articulate, you see it even when you're having discussions outside philosophy, and you see it in their writing too, that ability to reason and the skills to back up their arguments," Ms Borthwick said.

"Sometimes as a teacher, you might think something has a clear answer but then a child will throw a spanner in the works, it's interesting to see how far they can take the discussion."

Teachers at Malabar go through a two-term training program on writing philosophy lesson plans and running classroom discussions that runs after school and on weekends, and undergo regular professional development in the area.

Mr Atwell said time pressures and a greater focus on assessments have made it difficult for all schools to implement philosophy.

"It was more widespread four or five years ago but it's probably been put on the backburner with everything else that's going on in education," Mr Atwell said.

"I don't see any negatives and the positives far outweigh time concerns. We sacrifice an hour every week purely because we think the benefits are there."

This is good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

JBP posted:

I don't care deeply about anyone getting done in this outside of Canavan because they'll just get replaced with more dogshit. This bloke can get hosed though. He's not even crazy like the others, he's just a massive arsehole.

I dunno, if Joyce gets done we'll see some fun fireworks. And when Roberts has to face it (it's not an 'if' with him, he is SO hosed) we'll have some top-notch schadenfreude.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

How fuckin dare you lefty scumfucks, stick to the three Rs and getting a job that's what schools are for not some hugbox wankfest indoctrination

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
School is there to teach you enough that you can work unpaid in a factory with minimal retraining. Not to teach you to ask why you're working unpaid in a factory.

Geez.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Synthbuttrange posted:

WHO'S HYPED FOR THIS WEEK'S HIGH COURT SHENANNIGANS?!

:allears:

Good.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The ABC has once again been accused of biased reporting by a federal MP taking out an ad in a local newspaper.

Queensland Liberal Nationals MP George Christensen has admitted to using his taxpayer purse to criticise the ABC's coverage of the state's new Adani coal mine.

Christensen is the second federal MP to use taxpayer funds to attack the public broadcaster in recent days. Last week, Labor backbencher Michael Danby paid for an ad in the Australian Jewish News which claimed people have a "distorted understanding" of Israel thanks to the ABC.

Mr Christensen's ad, which appeared in the Townsville Bulletin, accuses last week's Four Corners program of being "overly influenced by the extreme green movement".

"The program avoided facts, preferring the green movement's stock-in-trade: allegations, accusations, and unsubstantiated claims," the open letter said. "But no matter how many activists the ABC turns to for comment, repeating the same misinformation does not turn it into fact."

The ad then calls on the ABC to "provide balance" by doing a story on the families in Townsville, Bowen and Mackay "desperately in need of jobs".

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

How fuckin dare you lefty scumfucks, stick to the three Rs and getting a job that's what schools are for not some hugbox wankfest indoctrination

And phonics

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

We have an extreme green movement?

Lid posted:

The ad then calls on the ABC to "provide balance" by doing a story on the families in Townsville, Bowen and Mackay "desperately in need of jobs".

Then give them yours, you turnip.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cleretic posted:

I dunno, if Joyce gets done we'll see some fun fireworks. And when Roberts has to face it (it's not an 'if' with him, he is SO hosed) we'll have some top-notch schadenfreude.

I guess the way I see it is that Joyce and Roberts will be replaced with a similar space faring nut but Canavan is a sack of poo poo despite appearing to have his marbles.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Joyce doesn't get directly replaced. His seat goes to a by-election (which he could contest).

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

ewe2 posted:

yo
*kickflips out of thread on roller blades*

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

JBP posted:

I guess the way I see it is that Joyce and Roberts will be replaced with a similar space faring nut but Canavan is a sack of poo poo despite appearing to have his marbles.

I'm not really familiar with this, what are some of the especially lovely things Canavan has done? (besides being an LNP senator)

e: ok that time when he cried about marriage equality and told people to grow spines was lovely

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

yo
*kickflips out of thread on roller blades*

How do you kickflip a rollerblade?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I'm not really familiar with this, what are some of the especially lovely things Canavan has done? (besides being an LNP senator)

e: ok that time when he cried about marriage equality and told people to grow spines was lovely

He was MInister for Rocks Resources so he is neck deep in Adani poo poo.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

hooman posted:

How do you kickflip a rollerblade?

You obviously just aren't extreme enough.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

He's a polo and boatshoes gay hater, which is worse than a stubbies and thongs gay hater.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Sydney Anglican Diocese Has Handed Over $1 Million To The "No" Campaign

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Taxfree.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Good to see the church spending their money on good causes.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It's a little late for that

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

ewe2 posted:

NSW Greens

:ssh:

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

hooman posted:

Good to see the church spending their money on good causes.

denying non-hetero people equality before the law is that important

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Unfortunately my wife has bought the "but it's for terrorism!" line all the way. I'm trying to tell her how it's a very small step from this database being available to picking out faces from a protest against the government or what have you but all they have to do is push the line of "this is for terrorism, we swear" and people buy it.

only one thing to do

:sever:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Jesus was really clear, "never mind the sick and downtrodden, just make sure those faggots know their place."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/taxi-drivers-fined-for-refusing-short-fares-from-melbourne-airport-20171008-gywryo.html

Lol taxis

Dozens of taxi drivers have been fined in a police sting for refusing to take short fares from Melbourne Airport.

Plain-clothes Fawkner Highway Patrol officers posing as passengers issued the $396 fines on Friday after receiving dozens of complaints.

Officers posed as passengers travelling to nearby suburbs and when drivers refused the fare, they were issued the $396 fine.

Once hailed, a driver cannot refuse a fare that is too short or inconvenient, according to the Victorian Taxis Services Commission.

"It is absolutely illegal," said the officer.

"They cannot knock you back. It's known as refusing a taxi fare on rank. It's a $396 fine on the spot."

The sting was carried out by plain-clothes officers because news of the operation "spread really quickly" throughout the taxi holding bay.

One taxi driver was also fined for offensive behaviour after he became aggressive to a police officer.

"One of the cabbies refused a fare to one of my workmates. [The officer] identified what we were doing and he completely flipped.

"He punched his steering wheel and swore in front of kids so we gave him another fine."

Tours operating illegally without driver accreditation or insurance were also issued fines by police for preying on domestic and international visitors.

"If you've come from somewhere like Brisbane they'll eyeball you and say 'Taxi? $65 to city'," the officer said.

"It's highly illegal. They've got no insurance and no driver certificate. They were hanging around like flies."

• Locked thread