Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

poo poo i meant to post that in the drunk thread not the army thread my bad.

Might as well be the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Bergdahl expected to plead guilty to desertion and misbehaving in front of the enemy

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

He's not Audie Murphy, he's a very naughty boy!

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Power was supposed to come back on at Irwin but it's still off an hour later.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Going on 3 years of being out, my IRR time is up in December and it's a little surreal.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Justin Tyme posted:

Going on 3 years of being out, my IRR time is up in December and it's a little surreal.

I hope nothing happens to call you back before December

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Let's hope for no declarations of war over Twitter.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
God yes they can't get me without a waiver

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Woof Blitzer posted:

God yes they can't get me without a waiver

I work for the federal govt, do I get a get out of jail free card too

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Justin Tyme posted:

I work for the federal govt, do I get a get out of jail free card too

There's only one way to find out!!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

alcoholism got me out once, it can probably do it again

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I'm just gonna keep smoking pot. They'll learn

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

Hey Justin, I need you to fast track this.

https://www.fluentin3months.com/korean/

I'll call you in two weeks. :D

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Soulex posted:

I'm just gonna keep smoking pot. They'll learn

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It's pretty weird how offended higher ups in the Army can be that I'm 30 years old with no wife and kids, that I'm somehow failing at life for actually enjoying myself on my weekends

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

It's pretty weird how offended higher ups in the Army can be that I'm 30 years old with no wife and kids, that I'm somehow failing at life for actually enjoying myself on my weekends

You're a 30 year old lieutenant?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He decided to go to OCS when he was like 26 or 27 for some reason.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it

It's also why I have like no friends among the most junior LT's, the guys I hang out with are all either prior enlisted or went college options OCS like myself

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, the stupid separate the smart and isolate them for not also being stupid.

"What!? You don't enjoy coming into work on the weekends to escape your lovely family situation?!"

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Soulex posted:

Yeah, the stupid separate the smart and isolate them for not also being stupid.

"What!? You don't enjoy coming into work on the weekends to escape your lovely family situation?!"

You're not a real NCO unless you're keeping your joes at work until 1900 because you don't want to go home.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

You're not a real NCO unless you're keeping your joes at work until 1900 because you don't want to go home.

Our new command team is all about staying late and coming early for no reason.

I also got bitched at for giving my guys the end of drill counselling and updates PRIOR to the final formation and allowing them to peace out when they were dismissed by the commander first sergeant platoon sergeant.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So I'm the Family Readiness Liaison, and apparently it's my fault I can't make the soldiers in our company give accurate email addresses for their spouses for the FRG and the CO's wife keeps bitching about emails being sent and getting returned because they're wrong and peoples spouses messaging the facebook page about not getting emails.

There's only so many ways I can say "double check the FRG roster to make sure your email addresses are accurate". It's not like I have some sort of "this email address is hosed up!" sixth sense.

My CO doesn't actually bother me at all about it, it's the 1SG because he's all about families and other such bull poo poo. Sorry I don't have a huge boner about families and kids and poo poo because I didn't knock up and marry the first chick to suck my dick.

I just want to be like "bro, I'm a single dude, I don't give a gently caress about the FRG"

Also, married people's free time is more important than single peoples for some dumb loving reason

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Mustang I'm not gonna lie but hearing your stories makes me happy that I got NPQ'd from Marine OCS

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, though some of us married people who aren't strippers, just FYI.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

I've found that very unit-dependent, as well as where you're stationed. I've been married since I was an LT, but no kids. It used to get mentioned. I'm in my thirties now, and people have stopped asking when I'm going to have kids and generally don't look shocked or weirded out if it comes up and I flatly say we never intend to have any kids. In West Texas, it wasn't so much Army people thinking it was weird, save one annoying BN CDR, it was the locals. The population was very Catholic and one civilian even assumed my wife was barren when we didn't have a kid by the age of 24, IIRC.

edit: It was considered some revelatory breakthrough when I changed "taking care of families" in a unit mission to "taking care of relationships, whether they be family or social support for single soldiers." I'd thought it up about 2 minutes before pitching slides to the boss and he was like "oh poo poo, we SHOULD ensure single people don't feel like isolated second-class citizens!"

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 9, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

I've found that very unit-dependent, as well as where you're stationed. I've been married since I was an LT, but no kids. It used to get mentioned. I'm in my thirties now, and people have stopped asking when I'm going to have kids and generally don't look shocked or weirded out if it comes up and I flatly say we never intend to have any kids. In West Texas, it wasn't so much Army people thinking it was weird, save one annoying BN CDR, it was the locals. The population was very Catholic and one civilian even assumed my wife was barren when we didn't have a kid by the age of 24, IIRC.

edit: It was considered some revelatory breakthrough when I changed "taking care of families" in a unit mission to "taking care of relationships, whether they be family or social support for single soldiers." I'd thought it up about 2 minutes before pitching slides to the boss and he was like "oh poo poo, we SHOULD ensure single people don't feel like isolated second-class citizens!"

*is a single soldier*

*cant sleep because it's 93 degrees and 85% humidity out and they haven't turned AC on in the barracks yet*

*gets a counseling statement for falling asleep during a sharp brief*

*cant find anywhere to eat because there's only one dfac open at a time and it rotates and there's no schedule posted anywhere*

*goes to sleep hungry, but can't sleep because it's 93 degrees out and 85% humidity*

*watches thermostat go up to 85 degrees in the room, then rips it off the wall in anger*

*gets a statement of charges and counseling statement*

lol I'm so happy I'm out.

I got a counseling statement once for showing up at 6am, which was 15 minutes late for the 630am first formation. Why was I late? Because I didn't want to drive back to post drunk the night before so I slept it off and drove back the next morning but underestimated traffic.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: at having to be 45 minutes early to be on time in the morning.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hey guys I know we turbo gently caress you in every aspect of your life day in and day out for being single, but we have an FRG function over the four day and we need manpower so put together a roster.

Man why does our command climate survey suck so bad? Oh well throw those out and pencil whip it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Don't forget to act shocked when you address it to the company and promise to make a change.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The dfac thing pissed me off more than anything the Army did to gently caress over barracks soldiers. Guys literally couldn't eat on long weekends because only one dfac on all of Bragg was open. While I was getting out, they let me do weekend duty every single weekend and then just not come in during the week, and I'd take the TMP van and drive the barracks kids to whatever place happened to be open

In the field, making sure your guys are fed and rested is the most basic measure of senior NCO competence but we can't do it at all in garrison?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I spent way too much money on food when I lived in the barracks. At least a thousand a month at one point.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Went down to the pizza hut wing street in your PTs?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

psydude posted:

Went down to the pizza hut wing street in your PTs?

Please, like I could have been pried away from call of duty long enough to go get my own food.

I had it delivered like a gentleman.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Will never forget the pizza guys out at Huachuca that would deliver to coordinates while we were on FTX. Those guys got tipped like mother fuckers.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Will never forget the pizza guys out at Huachuca that would deliver to coordinates while we were on FTX. Those guys got tipped like mother fuckers.

Had the same with pizza delivery at Benning. Turns out the pizza place we called knew exactly where TAA Leader was!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
On Bragg we had drivers just walking the barracks with cheese or single topping pizzas. Although it was Dominos

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
A thousand a month is a whole lot of money on food.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
At Campbell we had people waiting outside the barracks for pizza guys on the weekends saying it was their pizza.

Nobody ever paid cash so it was pretty easy to get away with.

Lasted like a month before battalion caught wind of it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

A thousand a month is a whole lot of money on food.

Now think about the fact that it wasn't even good food. Like he wasn't going to high end restaurants each weekend and ordering a round of Lagavulin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Best army pizza delivery: We were stuck in the motorpool for about 6 or 7 hours because someone couldn't find a radio. They finally decided it was a lovely admin error by an LT and CDR, so we were getting let go around midnight on a Friday. BN CDR finally arrives and people have just finished running from where they were grabbing naps to fall in. BN CDR is halfway through his intro sentence when a guy bellows words that I am paraphrasing from memory:

"YO! I know you tryin' to have a pretty formation and all but someone ordered these pizzas cash, and I got deliveries to make tonight, SIR!"

Dude's car was parked on the "no POV" line and he was even shining a flashlight at the formation. He was a pro base deliverer and would use the flashlight to light up which barracks room called for delivery.

BN CDR looked incredibly pissed then was just like "whoever's pizza that is, go pay the guy, goddamit!"