Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The memory packages are used as a childhood replacement, which is why Rachel was more believable compared to the relatively stunted Roy, Pris, Leon (?) etc from the first, their emotional responses were as stunted as a child's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
This movie made 30+ million domestic this weekend which was its initial projection until a week ago when it jumped to 50 because of the critical acclaim, but it also made another 50m overseas, which is pretty drat good. I don’t care about box office results, but to call this movie a flop is a big reach.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

starkebn posted:

When she sees it in K's room, the prostitute in 2409 specifically remarks that the horse is exactly like the one in her memory

I've seen the movie twice and she specifically says "It's from a tree", not "It's from a dream."

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Bottom Liner posted:

This movie made 30+ million domestic this weekend which was its initial projection until a week ago when it jumped to 50 because of the critical acclaim, but it also made another 50m overseas, which is pretty drat good. I don’t care about box office results, but to call this movie a flop is a big reach.

Studio's want this to flop so they don't have to put in effort to make a "good" movie.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Jack2142 posted:

Studio's want this to flop so they don't have to put in effort to make a "good" movie.

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Did anyone else think of the ending to Ikiru when K was slowly dying in the snow, satisfied with having accomplished something meaningful

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Did anyone else think of the ending to Ikiru when K was slowly dying in the snow, satisfied with having accomplished something meaningful
It didn't occur to me at the time but that's actually a really interesting comparison. Deckard meeting his daughter is kind of like the ending to High & Low too.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 9, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

starkebn posted:

the prostitute

shes the child. The memory maker person is just one of the memory designers.

Steve Yun posted:

K was slowly dying in the snow

He lived. They don't show him die.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Xenomrph posted:

Funnily enough, me too. I read them back when they were new and remember very little of them.

It also got me thinking about that Blade Runner videogame we got like 20 years ago that was like a side story to the movie. I never got to play it, but reading about it now makes it seem like it had some neat ideas from a game perspective.

i saw the excellent let's play by scorchy. it has some pretty creepy plotlines, like having a grown man be able to have a preteen girl as almost a love interest.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Jack2142 posted:

She actually is just lazy

I dunno if that's lazy or if she was just being self indulgant. Creators love to slip in references to personal stuff in their work all the time.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lord Krangdar posted:

Nothing about the Blade Runner program really makes much sense. Like why have the Voight-Kampff tests when they know exactly who the Replicants are and what they look like?

I don't really feel like any of that hurts the movie, though, because it all just seems to operate by dream logic.

I thought the test is to make sure 100% that they're a replicant, "Human until proven Replicant" if you will. I dunno, I feel like the movie doesn't make much sense and kinda sucks if Deckard's a Replicant. He's not though so gently caress it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fututor Magnus posted:

i saw the excellent let's play by scorchy. it has some pretty creepy plotlines, like having a grown man be able to have a preteen girl as almost a love interest.

Do you happen to have a link? Or is it pretty easy to find if I search YouTube?

Also Wikipedia says the game has like a dozen endings. Wikipedia also says the odds of us getting a re-release of the game are pretty low. But hey, with the renewed interest in Blade Runner thanks to the new movie, maybe Telltale Games will consider making a new game.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Xenomrph posted:

Also Wikipedia says the game has like a dozen endings. Wikipedia also says the odds of us getting a re-release of the game are pretty low. But hey, with the renewed interest in Blade Runner thanks to the new movie, maybe Telltale Games will consider making a new game.

https://lparchive.org/Blade-Runner/

It's a SS LP

The game is pretty cool though, it had some system in place were it would scramble who was and wasn't a Replicant at the start of the game.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brGguuW3Cmg - long play straight from the yubtub.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Cacator posted:

I've seen the movie twice and she specifically says "It's from a tree", not "It's from a dream."

I will have to pay extra attention during a rewatch. I doubt she would notice real wood as easily as that when Dr Badger needed an electron microscope to be sure. I would say there are plenty of faux wood objects, especially considering the fetishization of pre collapse animals and plants

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tenzarin posted:

He lived. They don't show him die.
I used a progressive tense of the verb so I think saying he was dying is still the most correct.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 9, 2017

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Seedge posted:

Is it just my interpretation, or is Luv a name she adopted? It sounded to me like she latched onto Wallace's speech mannerisms more than an actual name.

I've thought about this and I kinda love adore this theory.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's too bad he won't live. But then again who does?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's too bad he won't live. But then again who does?

That fits in so well.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I saw this at one of our Superlarge 2D screens here in the UK, (not the Imax), and I have been thinking about it ever since. The original Bladerunner is my third favourite film of all time, but this has actually surpassed it. I saw reviews in the media saying it was one of the greatest sci-fi films, sequels, the aliens/godfather part II of movies and other high praise.

I couldn't believe they were correct, but they were. I didn't realise it was 2 hours and 46 minutes long till I got out of the cinema, it surely didn't feel that way. It was so smart, but not smug smart. It was utterly packed with ideas and themes and questions and completely allowed you the space to answer them in your own way. Who on earth at one of the major studios allowed a film like this to be made in these consumerist times. I would never, ever have expected that!

Some spoilery thoughts I have:

- People have been saying Rachel died in childbirth, but I thought the photo K found had Rachel standing by the tree holding a baby. Did I see that incorrectly?

- JOI loved K. I really do feel she became more than her original programming. When K was knocked out in that spinner, she panicked like someone who loved would. If it was purely for his benefit that she speak and do things for him, he'd need to be conscious to get that. Ultimately, however, I love that both reading of who she is work. The blurring of 'programming' and 'sentience' in this universe is exactly the questions and philosophies that we are supposed to explore.

- Gosling was amazing and the moment he screamed when learning about the memory being real was phenomenal. His arc was truly amazing. He became more real than real by realising he was able to make choices. In fact he showed off all the traits that I would say we ascribe to humanity: Choice, love and desire for more.

- I like that there were several things that didn't get followed up. Wallace's goals, the resistance. These are things that are there but they are not the focal point of the film. We don't need to see a resistance resisting, we can make up our own thoughts about where that goes. I like that. I like that is more resembles life where everything is not always complete in a package. It just gives richer world building.

- I cannot believe how beautifully shot, coloured and lit it was. Surely some awards will be winging its way to these guys. Deakins and Villeneuve truly outdid themselves.

- When the resistance leader told K that he wasn't the one and he looks crestfallen, that was brilliant. All of us alive want to be something special, something more than we are. It's such a base human desire and he felt it, he believed it.

Phew! There is more but I am still digesting and I often cannot coherently explain how I feel about things. Needless to say, I am tremendously happy I got to experience this film and it has now replaced the original as my third favourite film of all time.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

VideoGames posted:

- People have been saying Rachel died in childbirth, but I thought the photo K found had Rachel standing by the tree holding a baby. Did I see that incorrectly?

It was the one-eyed resistance lady

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

It was the one-eyed resistance lady

Thank you! It was my bad eye sight then! :D

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I nearly skipped this because the (UK) trailers made it look like a suicide squad level action film, but with good visuals. Like it was just going to be scifi buddy cop movie where they fight Jared Letos private army. If the early reviews hadn't been glowing I'd have never seen it.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

Made me think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJqUEc1fUEw

edit: poo poo that did not spoiler tag initially whew

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

VideoGames posted:

- JOI loved K. I really do feel she became more than her original programming. When K was knocked out in that spinner, she panicked like someone who loved would. If it was purely for his benefit that she speak and do things for him, he'd need to be conscious to get that. Ultimately, however, I love that both reading of who she is work. The blurring of 'programming' and 'sentience' in this universe is exactly the questions and philosophies that we are supposed to explore.

Phew! There is more but I am still digesting and I often cannot coherently explain how I feel about things. Needless to say, I am tremendously happy I got to experience this film and it has now replaced the original as my third favourite film of all time.

The tragic part is He was knocked out so he never saw that, and the interaction with the big pink hologram probably mean's K either dies at the end or goes through the rest of his life thinking Joi was just programmed to please him.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 9, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jack2142 posted:

The tragic part is He was knocked out so he never saw that, and the interaction with the big pink hologram probably mean's K either dies at the end or goes through the rest of his life thinking Joi was just programmed to please him.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
RE: Joi, I found it odd (if programmed) the company would sanction having her call up prostitutes their customers thought were attractive. Because of that and her willingness to take a stand and get offloaded into the portable device alone I think she was more than standard. If that's not the case in the end what does it matter, she provided the exact thing K wanted besides touch. I also thought there might be some greater attachment to her since his existence was seen as a step down from humanity and I imagine her's was seen as another step down from Replicants.

I loved the movie but while walking out I heard someone say "I dont get why the old guy (Harrison Ford) was in it, what was the point of all that". Even if you didn't see the original and just listened during this movie you could get a base understanding.....anyway this is my one post I get from jail seeyah.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Ratios and Tendency posted:

In blade runners she's being hidden from, right.

If she was ok with doing that why withhold the truth from K when he freaks out thinking it's his?

It was shoehorned nonsense because they wanted plot twists.

Because he's a Blade Runner and she thought he'd loving kill her, which he might have at that part of the film for christ sake. Holy moly you sure had all your bases covered on that one.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Wait was she aware she was a replicant?

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
I watched it last night with some friends, in 3D.

I just kept getting a bad taste of Prometheus at the start (at least) because of how gray the color correction was. Show me some of those Neon City Lights like the first film did :(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Rachel has brown eyes in the first movie.

Wallace trots out Rachel.

Deckard: "Her eyes... were green!"

Wallace shoots Rachel.

Did Deckard just gaslight Wallace by lying about Rachel's eye color?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Syllables posted:

I just kept getting a bad taste of Prometheus at the start (at least) because of how gray the color correction was. Show me some of those Neon City Lights like the first film did :(

It's called smog.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Rachel has brown eyes in the first movie.

Wallace trots out Rachel.

Deckard: "Her eyes... were green!"

Wallace shoots Rachel.

Did Deckard just gaslight Wallace by lying about Rachel's eye color?

I don't think it was about lying. It was Deckards way of saying that it wasn't Rachel, while maintaining some level of stoicism.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Syllables posted:

Seeing it in 3D probably didn't help with that. Film was really colourful.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

HAT FETISH posted:

Pretty much... it's the only way he'd have both been programmed to find out who she was AND have her memories. Or at least the simplest explanation via Gordian knot.

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 9, 2017

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

HAT FETISH posted:

She isn't a Replicant though. Not in the strictest sense, and I guess it depends on if you think Deckard is human or not but she could be a hybrid and thus the beginning of a new kind of Human.

I think she knows enough to lie out her rear end about who she is and where she came from at least.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

QuoProQuid posted:

Pale Fire is a book about a 999-line poem, written by a fictional, recently deceased poet, with extensive commentary by one of his friends and collaborators. The friend's commentary starts off detached and academic but becomes increasingly deranged and disjointed as the book progresses. Eventually, the commentary consumes the original poem and the "friend" is revealed to be a narcissistic lunatic who believes that he is an exiled king and the inspiration of the poem itself. The friend is obsessed by what he thinks is a missing final line in the poem, telling the reader that it should be 1,000 lines long and not 999. (The poem's format suggests that this should be the case. The final line breaks off abruptly.)

At the heart of Pale Fire is a poem, also titled Pale Fire, that tells the story of the poet's life. The poet is a successful and celebrated writer who married his childhood sweetheart and had a daughter who he loved more than anything. At some point before the poem was written, the poet's daughter, Hazel, committed suicide by drowning herself. This fact utterly consumes him and leaves his old self nothing more than “a smudge of ashen fluff.” He is dead without dying, living through a world that is both real and unreal.

Some time after his Hazel's death, the poet has his own near-death experience when he collapses in the middle of a lecture. While half-dead, he sees:

A system of cells interlinked within
Cells interlinked within cells interlinked
Within one stem. And dreadfully distinct
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

He becomes obsessed with the image of a "tall white fountain" and believes that he has seen proof of life after death. He does extensive investigative work and connects with a woman who told a magazine reporter that she also saw a "tall white fountain" after a near-death experience. He tracks down the woman, expecting some kind of transcendent experience but the woman turns out to be a disappointment. The poet connects with the journalist who wrote the story, who reveals that there was a misprint. The woman saw a "tall white mountain" and not a "fountain." There was never any deep connection proving the existence of souls and the afterlife. There is no proof that he will ever reunite with his daughter. It was all just a coincidence.

Instead of collapsing into despair, the discovery galvanizes him. He recognizes that humanity is just a plaything of the gods and that it is better to keep some things hidden. There are things he can know ("I'm reasonably sure that we survive / And that my darling somewhere is alive") without ever having proof of them. He ends the poem rejecting the grand artifices that he once relied on and aspires to accept the quiet continuities of life ("Some neighbor's gardener, I guess--goes by").

I'm glad you wrote this because while I got the meta layer of the novel just fine, eventually I lost the thread of the canto and just didn't have the time to realistically go back and find it, and my professor was more interested in the meta part anyway so I focused on that. I kept the book though so I will have to make some time to read it at some point.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

titanium posted:

RE: Joi, I found it odd (if programmed) the company would sanction having her call up prostitutes their customers thought were attractive. Because of that and her willingness to take a stand and get offloaded into the portable device alone I think she was more than standard. If that's not the case in the end what does it matter, she provided the exact thing K wanted besides touch. I also thought there might be some greater attachment to her since his existence was seen as a step down from humanity and I imagine her's was seen as another step down from Replicants.

I loved the movie but while walking out I heard someone say "I dont get why the old guy (Harrison Ford) was in it, what was the point of all that". Even if you didn't see the original and just listened during this movie you could get a base understanding.....anyway this is my one post I get from jail seeyah.

The prostitutes are also a Wallace product. “Syncsex” in this case would be like ... like... an Alexa module, perhaps. Like Linguica said in a post, having actual sex with your e-waifu has got to be like item #1 on a wishlist.

The human factor is what surrounds her decision to perform that act, before and after.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yaws posted:

Ordinarily constant lingering shots of an actors face would annoy me but Gosling is such a handsome devil I didn't mind.

If I was a woman he'd make me as wet as a slip 'n' slide.

I'm going to ruin it for you, one of his eyes is higher than the other. The constant lingering shots made me notice this and it was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

I gotta hand it to them. Designing products that are sold to a third party, who then pay them so that those products can buy other products from your company, is hilariously evil and a perfect distillation of where capitalism is headed.

• Locked thread