Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So if the rats launched a top secret space mission and tricked everyone into doing rituals they could siphon power off like a bunch of trailer park Steven Hawkings, why are they doing the rituals as well? Same reason to get the horned rat up and running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't think he's really talking about Queek's start being excessively hard, he's just saying Southlands is boring without all the poo poo that's obviously planned to go in.

Yeah pretty much. I don't want to fight Brettonians I want to fight Araby. I don't want to fight Vampires, I want to fight Tomb Kings.

Southlands right now just feels like a half finished map.

^^ I wish I didn't see that. :(

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 9, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

JBP posted:

So if the rats launched a top secret space mission and tricked everyone into doing rituals they could siphon power off like a bunch of trailer park Steven Hawkings, why are they doing the rituals as well? Same reason to get the horned rat up and running?

They needed to sacrifice an entire clan it seems like, so the council, or at least the Grey Seers, basically tried to trick some other clans into doing this by having one of them smear their blood on the bell. Then scribe Skaven got upset and killed the Grey Seer rat and smeared his blood on the bell, so it was the Grey Seers who would be sacrificed, at which point the council seems to have freaked the gently caress out

genghispawn
Aug 17, 2008

Panfilo posted:

I think they need to take a look at Stormvermin. With all the upgrades, you are paying about 2.5x recruitment cost and 3x upkeep for a unit that only really gets 45 more armor, a bit more leadership, and armor piercing on the Halberd variant compared to Clan Rats. Like Mammon said, Clan Rats are a much better deal for Queek, they are very inexpensive and it is pretty easy to end up cranking out 9 veterancy ones that have quite decent leadership and some missile resistance. In contrast Stormvermin only get the option to upgrade +5 armor and skills that give them a bit of additional attack damage. But even with this their damage isn't that much higher than Clan Rats, and they are a smaller unit size.

Are you talking the halberd ones? Because armor piercing is worth it for lizardmen Saurus. They've been a game changer for me and form my main line now in concert with weapon teams and such.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I actually lost as Queek. Or lost enough I bailed, Last Defenders had an army consisting of 11 different dinos at turn 29 just roll through me, with their main stack and another full stack of poo poo in support. They were massive at that point, not sure how they got so many dinos into one random army, but it hosed me, I only had 4 lighting cannons at that stage.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I actually lost as Queek. Or lost enough I bailed, Last Defenders had an army consisting of 11 different dinos at turn 29 just roll through me, with their main stack and another full stack of poo poo in support. They were massive at that point, not sure how they got so many dinos into one random army, but it hosed me, I only had 4 lighting cannons at that stage.

There's a ritual that just gives you a ~10 stack of dinos for free, it's probably that.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Last Defenders get real swole real quick. I had two full stacks against his one and it was still pretty close run.

The little High Elf islands are the worst poo poo for Skaven though. Playing with Queek and Skrolk I had a forever war with them because they couldn't get off the beach and boats are a great way for Skaven to lose their entire army with nothing they can do about it.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 9, 2017

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

genghispawn posted:

Are you talking the halberd ones? Because armor piercing is worth it for lizardmen Saurus. They've been a game changer for me and form my main line now in concert with weapon teams and such.

The problem with stormvermin is that's it's difficult to justify blowing them up with artillery/globadiers to instakill all of those saurus', which isn't a concern with skavenslaves/clanrats.

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking
Five cannons and five catapults, plus an engineer kills basically everything before it can reach the lines anyway. AI seems to be doing a weird dance thing to try and avoid incoming projectiles and doesn't attempt to move forwards. Stormvermin are really only worth taking to protect the flanks and destroy the occasional wavering unit that staggers into the gun line at 10% health.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Vargs posted:

The problem with stormvermin is that's it's difficult to justify blowing them up with artillery/globadiers to instakill all of those saurus', which isn't a concern with skavenslaves/clanrats.

And the upkeep on them is silly compared to their effectiveness. I am going to try and unit the homeland, get some quick tech, then send a prayer army with queek up the coast and try and get an early foothold in elfland. It'll at least involve more than just dinosaurs.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Clanrats are op and need leadership nerfs. By midgame they would fight as long as, say, empire swordsmen. They should be cowardly and easily spooked, not a mainline unit 90 turns in.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I really hope CA takes a page from the paradox patching mechanism and sets fire to unfun mechanisms. They are much too conservative in changing released content. This game needs naval battles, but naval battles have always been terrible. So just mash the ships together and add some giant turtles or whatever so you can have land battles on the sea. Also enforce the vortex mechanism more, if you want to paint the map you can play the other map.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

New Butt Order posted:

Last Defenders get real swole real quick. I had two full stacks against his one and it was still pretty close run.

The little High Elf islands are the worst poo poo for Skaven though. Playing with Queek and Skrolk I had a forever war with them because they couldn't get off the beach and boats are a great way for Skaven to lose their entire army with nothing they can do about it.

I had to rescue them from an entire continent of vampires as Mazda. Dudes were asleep at the wheel big time.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
All skaven infantry that isn't skavenslave stuff is overpriced. Part of the incentive to take skavenslaves is to offset that problem. Stormvermin are pretty decent, imo. Saying halberds "only get x more weapon damage" is very misleading, since the 2/3 of their damage ends up AP damage. They can punch out Chaos Warriors in a 1v1, can swarm and take down monstrous infantry/monsters, and still end up with large unit sizes compared to other "elite" skaven infantry. The sword and board variant is capable of destroying enemy mid-tier stuff on their own with no issues, which means you can focus your nasty killy spells and arty pieces on the enemy elites instead. Their high melee defense / armor is pretty rad against lizardmen, who generally have low attack/high damage, which results in clanrats trying to fulfill that same role just get eviscerated in too short a time to be useful. They're still too pricey to be your army's backbone: that's still the job of skavenslaves and clanrats. But as a supplemental force, of around 4-6 guys, they serve an unorthodox but sometimes very vital role of "armored infantry capable of killing other infantry and monsters".

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 9, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

genghispawn posted:

Plague Monk Censer Bearers are a better armor piercing unit for the price range. They have Magical Damage, Poison, and Frenzy. Even Skavenslaves can bloody the noses of a unit so heavily debuffed. Their upgrades are also pretty decent, getting comparable overall damage as Stormvermin along with better Leadership, Physical Resistance (which tends to be more useful than armor) and Skrolk gives them a massive upkeep discount.

The problem with Stormvermin is that they don't seem to pan out nearly as well as Clan Rats do. Late game Clan Rats are practically Stormvermin that have a third the upkeep cost. There's not enough benefit toward even Halberd Stormvermin in lieu of other options.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I have a lot of love for plague monks as my main dudes. I guess I am more interested in fast victories and dispensing death as skaven than having units that will hang in there as a line (even though they're ok with this). I also like sending armies of slaves around on assist patrol basically looking for targets of opportunity or serving as a big swarm movement penalties I can throw bombs into the middle of.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Skavenslaves are great because even though their stats are garbage there are so many support units that make them exponentially better.

Plague Monks/Censer Bearers debuff the enemy's defenses and make the Slaves punch relatively harder. Ditto for Death Runners.

Poison Wind Globadiers/Warpfire Throwers focus fire enemies bogged down by swarms of slaves. Friendly fire doesn't matter since non-slave units don't receive leadership penalties for slave casualties.

Any little bonus, be it +5 armor, leadership, or charge bonus actually gives a big overall benefit when you consider the sheer number of little rats that are slightly improved.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Eshin units are funny when fighting against the elf gates. Stick them all to one side, the AI won't put any defenders there if there's nothing obviously visible. You can have them all scale the walls and take the gates and hold them while your main force comes around for an easy stroll through the enemy defenses.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Stormvermin do mostly feel like a luxury unit, but them being a credible threat to large units is still a pretty good incentive to take them once you can afford to. Gives you more flexibility when choosing targets for your Warp Lightning Cannons since a cavalry flank won't be as threatening with halberd Stormvermin around.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Holy poo poo, I was wondering why I couldn't overcast pit of shades once I'd upgraded it on Morathi. They set the thing that should enable it to -15 instead of 1.

E: If anyone can think of more spells they think they should be able to overcast but can't lemme know and I'll post a fix for it until they patch it.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 9, 2017

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Ammanas posted:

Clanrats are op and need leadership nerfs. By midgame they would fight as long as, say, empire swordsmen. They should be cowardly and easily spooked, not a mainline unit 90 turns in.

The perhaps best way I can come up with is to largely shift the buffs you get from research and lord skills so they do not improve the raw stats of Clanrats, but improve the Strenght in Numbers passive. So your mid-lategame Clanrats will be pretty swole and disciplined. Right up until they hit half health, then they start to fall apart pretty quickly.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Meanwhile, two very rude things I did during my campaign.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Is there some trick to getting your faction's second legendary lord? I confederated the Cult of Pleasure as Malekeith but Morathi is nowhere to be found.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

caedwalla posted:

Is there some trick to getting your faction's second legendary lord? I confederated the Cult of Pleasure as Malekeith but Morathi is nowhere to be found.

If they're not currently in the field you won't get them. So maybe she's wounded. You can't recruit her can you? Scroll to the bottom and see if she's greyed out and in recovery.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It should be possible to get achievements post-victory right? Swear I should have triggered some but haven't seen a pop-up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
AI declares war on my ally elf faction that only has the Eagle Gate and is no where near them.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

caedwalla posted:

I believe there is a bug right now that if Morathi is dead she won't be available to you. Load a save and wait til you see her on the campaign map.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Mechanic is such a great follower. It gives you 2x the siege towers your normally would get.

I'll take a lord specced for slaves/artillery backed by a lord with a more balanced army. You quickly get tons of siege towers docked and once there they can't be destroyed so other units can keep piling in.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

:thunk:

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

Fun fact - you also can't build siege towers/battering rams when besieging the gates.

Or at least my co-op partner couldn't. Seems like the flag for if gates have walls is bugged.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ibblebibble posted:

It should be possible to get achievements post-victory right? Swear I should have triggered some but haven't seen a pop-up.

Some of the achievements seem to be screwed - I should have gotten the ones for building the Black Pyramid of Nagash, and the special lizard building that goes in Itza, but they didn't proc. Also apparently 0% of the playerbase has either one.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

AI declares war on my ally elf faction that only has the Eagle Gate and is no where near them.

"gently caress these elves in particular."

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ran into a rather unpleasant issue tonight where I could do nothing about a Chaos army spawned by another faction's ritual raiding my territory. Specifically, as Kroq-Gar I took one of Queek's ritual cities the turn or two after he started one, before either of the Chaos armies that spawned nearby really did anything. One of them wandered off over the sea towards his other ritual site (Fortress of Dawn - also his last province period), but the other one just stuck around and raided the province. At this point I obviously wanted it gone, so I attempted to attack it - and ran into the war declaration pop-up with the "Declare War!" section completely greyed out, rendering this impossible. Thus forcing me to just continuously be raided until they finally vanished due to the ritual period ending.

I think I understand why they might have programmed those pop-up armies as they did in terms of diplomacy, but that's really lovely and should probably be fixed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vargs posted:

That guy isn't working on SFO anymore, fwiw. Some other dudes have taken over.

Are you sure about this? Their patreon page still mentions Steel Faith, the nazi dude.

I hope it's true, mind.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

JimmyT64 posted:

Fun fact - you also can't build siege towers/battering rams when besieging the gates.

Or at least my co-op partner couldn't. Seems like the flag for if gates have walls is bugged.

I think that's just their thing. The elf gates won't let you bring siege engines so you have to fight it out. It's meant to be harder because these gates are impregnable in the lore or something.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Kanos posted:

Are you sure about this? Their patreon page still mentions Steel Faith, the nazi dude.

I hope it's true, mind.

Ventris has taken lead, SF is apparently starting a new job and will be too busy to do most of the work anymore.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

I hope it's true, mind.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/704361604/1519260397797559736/

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The steam workshop is starting to look good.

better camera mod
better campaign camera mod
warhammer 1 campaign camera mod
better trade (apparently CA increased trade amounts for WH2)
hydra and carnosaur skin variations
building progression icons
better banners
and ratling guns

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
In case you want your nuclear-powered magic lightning cannons to be even more obscenely powerful, I can confirm that Bless With Filth works on them too. I don't know how explosive green lightning bolts can also poison their targets, but it sure is disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

toasterwarrior posted:

In case you want your nuclear-powered magic lightning cannons to be even more obscenely powerful, I can confirm that Bless With Filth works on them too. I don't know how explosive green lightning bolts can also poison their targets, but it sure is disgusting.

doesn't filth gimp the units it's on? it would seem penalties on weapon teams would be quite significant