Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

Flanian pobble beads.

How many Altairian Dollars is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Started working on the X wing tonight. Just did some cosmetic changes and redid the side panels so they don't look so boat-like and stick out as much. I definitely don't think I'm going to try and reinvent the wheel on this one, but I still want to redo the blasters and maybe change up some stuff on the engines. Think I want to change to nose too but I'm not sure how yet.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Speaking of Lego manuals.

Does anyone know when they started adding the precise pieces in each step? Also, why are the colors so inaccurate? Makes very little sense.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
They've always included the parts needed for each step for Technic and Model Team sets since the 1980s, possibly late 70s. I believe they started doing it for every set around 2009.

As for the inaccurate colours, I'd guess that it's a limitation of whatever printers they use. It certainly doesn't help that modern Lego is made in so many different colours and some of them are very similar to each other.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They should mention what color it is. Sometimes whatever printer they have just doesn't have enough detail to know exactly what part to use.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
#1 suggestion I would give to Lego is to stop printing the instructions on black paper.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
One thing I noticed while building Destiny's Bounty was the colours in the printing were uneven page to page. Like, you could look at the left page and easily make out the dark brown from the light brown, and the dark red. Then on the right page, it's almost impossible to differentiate.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

One thing I noticed while building Destiny's Bounty was the colours in the printing were uneven page to page. Like, you could look at the left page and easily make out the dark brown from the light brown, and the dark red. Then on the right page, it's almost impossible to differentiate.

There's Dark Red in the DB? Sigh.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waltzing Along posted:

There's Dark Red in the DB? Sigh.

It's a generically Asian boat, you bet your rear end there's dark red all over it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

It's a generically Asian boat, you bet your rear end there's dark red all over it.

And you are sure it's not Reddish Brown? I mean...they look exactly the same! And RB is used far more often.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

And you are sure it's not Reddish Brown? I mean...they look exactly the same! And RB is used far more often.

Errrr.. now I don't know either way. :(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

Errrr.. now I don't know either way. :(

The set uses both colors.

One thing that Lego have definitely improved on is the numbered bags. In general you don't get multiple colors of the same part in the same bags unless there is a big enough difference in color that it is obvious. No more reddish brown/dark red of the same piece type in the same section.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Waltzing Along posted:

And you are sure it's not Reddish Brown? I mean...they look exactly the same!

Woah, woah, woah, let's reign the racism in a little bit, fellas.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
[quote="“Waltzing Along”" post="“477147674”"]

One thing that Lego have definitely improved on is the numbered bags. In general you don’t get multiple colors of the same part in the same bags unless there is a big enough difference in color that it is obvious. No more reddish brown/dark red of the same piece type in the same section.
[/quote]

Except for having orange and metallic gold in the same bag. gently caress those tiny shine marks...

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

One thing that Lego have definitely improved on is the numbered bags. In general you don't get multiple colors of the same part in the same bags unless there is a big enough difference in color that it is obvious. No more reddish brown/dark red of the same piece type in the same section.

The Saturn V was the first set I've built in at least 10 years, and I think the first set I've ever built with numbered bags. I almost dumped them all out and knolled everything and I'm glad I didn't.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Knolling is awesome, but with the piece count these days on some sets, you'll be there for weeks. Also, running out of flat surfaces.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I always want to knoll things out like Adam Savage does everytime he does one of these things. Then I remember I don't have any room to do that, and it's just as easy to just dump the pieces into plastic bins and look for them in there.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

The_Doctor posted:

Knolling is awesome, but with the piece count these days on some sets, you'll be there for weeks. Also, running out of flat surfaces.

Truth. I had to do that with my UCS Sandcrawler when moved countries and it took at least three times as long to build it the second time.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Mega Blocks can gently caress right off. I bought the Arcadia Jumpship because I like Destiny and it was on clearance for $7. Biggest mistake I've ever made. I've had to take an exacto knife to a few pieces to remove excess plastic and get them together. I quit last night when I couldn't get the rear engine piece on. It just keeps popping off for no obvious reason. Also, I had 7 bags opened by step 6.

Kjermzs fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 8, 2017

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Kjermzs posted:

Mega Blocks can gently caress right off. I bought the Arcadia Jumpship because I like Destiny and it was on clearance for $7. Biggest mistake I've ever made. I've had to take an exacto knife to a few pieces to remove excess plastic and get them together. I quit last night when I could get the rear engine piece on. It just keeps popping off for no obvious reason. Also, I had 7 bags opened by step 6.

I can't excuse the rest but Lego has a patent on numbered/step ordered bags. Which, when you think about it, is kind of a petty dick move.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't excuse the rest but Lego has a patent on numbered/step ordered bags. Which, when you think about it, is kind of a petty dick move.

Haha, I didn't know this.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Kjermzs posted:

Haha, I didn't know this.

I think for their UCS equivalent sets Mega uses plastic trays with the parts distributed into seperate compartments to get around this, kind of like the presentation boxes Lego used to do.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

PriorMarcus posted:

Man. gently caress lawyers.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Will call right away now for the NY ComicCon exclusive. No waiting until the end of the day.

Edit: we'll see if this drives down the cost on the secondary market.

Edit2: the designer is not here today so no signed copies.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 8, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kjermzs posted:

Mega Blocks can gently caress right off. I bought the Arcadia Jumpship because I like Destiny and it was on clearance for $7. Biggest mistake I've ever made. I've had to take an exacto knife to a few pieces to remove excess plastic and get them together. I quit last night when I couldn't get the rear engine piece on. It just keeps popping off for no obvious reason. Also, I had 7 bags opened by step 6.

Their Destiny sets are really awful, but the minifigs are pretty great. I don't know if they're still available, but they had stand-alone packs with a fig and 3-4 guns that were decent grabs. Apparently they've started doing the same kind of thing for other licenses now. Picked up Captain Picard and a Xenomorph the other day for $5.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Kjermzs posted:

I got a couple of the World of Warcraft sets on super Walmart clearance a few years ago, and had the same problem trying to build Sindragosa. The molds look fantastic for the special pieces and the mini dogs are great, but trying to get large assemblies to snap into single large pieces is a nightmare, and in retrospect is an issue with tolerance stacking that Lego absolutely does not have.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Saturn V does seem to have a relatively large number of bags: 12. Compare to something like the Detective Office modular that is 300 more pieces but only has 4 bags. It makes it a lot easier to build imho.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

[quote="“smackfu”" post="“477182051”"]
Saturn V does seem to have a relatively large number of bags: 12. Compare to something like the Detective Office modular that is 300 more pieces but only has 4 bags. It makes it a lot easier to build imho.
[/quote]

Destiny's Bounty has 15 bags. And the Detectives office definitely had more than 4.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Picked up Coles Fire Mech and got the Batman Bricktober minifigs. Should fill out the empty batsuitsuit slots in the batcave set nicely.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

[quote="“The_Doctor”" post="“477182843”"]
Destiny’s Bounty has 15 bags. And the Detectives office definitely had more than 4.
[/quote]

I think it had more than four but they were only numbered 1-4 so you had to open all the bags with a given number to do each level.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CommanderApaul posted:

Picked up Coles Fire Mech and got the Batman Bricktober minifigs. Should fill out the empty batsuitsuit slots in the batcave set nicely.

Are they still on sale? I mean the normal sets. They were 20% off last week.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

smackfu posted:

The Saturn V really nailed the bag system. It was great.

I wish modular's were divided the same way. I don't often have time to build an entire floor in one sitting and the organised loose pieces actually take up a fair amount of desk space.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Are they still on sale? I mean the normal sets. They were 20% off last week.

Some of the sets still had a sale tag on them, I think the creator sets and some of the Batman Movie stuff. All the Ninjago stuff was retail price. I was too busy trying to wrangle my kids. "Dad, are you buying legos AGAIN?"

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

PriorMarcus posted:

The Saturn V really nailed the bag system. It was great.

I wish modular's were divided the same way. I don't often have time to build an entire floor in one sitting and the organised loose pieces actually take up a fair amount of desk space.
Destiny's Bounty, as mentioned, and also Ninjago City did this extremely well. Ninjago City is a particularly great example because it's a multi-floor modular sort of building, but for 5 floors, it had 17 numbered sets of bags. Much more manageable and easy to build with limited space.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Destiny's Bounty was also a great build and a good selection of parts in cool colours. So many tiles.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Destiny's Bounty was also a great build and a good selection of parts in cool colours. So many tiles.

It's so large too! I literally have nowhere to put it!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok, these are the people I have down for a Lester minifig:

Waltzing Along
Carbohydrates
tomapot
PriorMarcus
Huge Fucker Bitch
Kjermzs
Pyroclastic
DrChud

Anyone else?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah I'll take one if it's not too much trouble.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The_Doctor posted:

It's so large too! I literally have nowhere to put it!

Same. But I'm moving soon at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Ok, these are the people I have down for a Lester minifig:

Waltzing Along
Carbohydrates
tomapot
PriorMarcus
Huge Fucker Bitch
Kjermzs
Pyroclastic
DrChud

Anyone else?

I'd like to order 2 if that's alright. I see you've already got my name down.