Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Mezzanon posted:

What country has Uber but you also have to boil your water before you drink it?

How some of you morons misinterpret such simple things and jump to the most ridiculous conclusions continually astounds me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

The USA. For reals, I live in NOLA and there are pretty frequent boil advisories down here, it's pretty ridiculous tbh. Like the pumping station loses power for something like 20 mins pretty regularly.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

ArbitraryC posted:

Not to say the obvious problem isn't the friend weirdly intruding because he clearly has a thing for her but the whole story reads like she's on the spectrum and doesn't understand how to handle simple emotions.

It actually reads more like he's on the spectrum, speaking as a dude who is, in fact, on the spectrum. He's completely oblivious to how normal social interactions between platonic friends are supposed to work and has a really inappropriate sense of personal boundaries. Obviously has a thing for her but if he is on the spectrum he probably has trouble processing his feelings appropriately in a way that doesn't overwhelm him, and he clearly values her as a friend and he's probably petrified of risking the status quo by mentioning anything that would change the way she thinks of him.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Yeah that guy is a weirdo and has serious boundary/personal space issues. Seems like he's carrying a torch for her.

On the other hand, what is this 'girl toilet and boy toilet' stuff about? Fair enough splitting public toilets by gender, but when you're living in a house with someone a bathroom is just a bathroom...right??

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

OP sounds like she's ESL, so maybe it's just a thing in some cultures.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It actually reads more like he's on the spectrum, speaking as a dude who is, in fact, on the spectrum. He's completely oblivious to how normal social interactions between platonic friends are supposed to work and has a really inappropriate sense of personal boundaries. Obviously has a thing for her but if he is on the spectrum he probably has trouble processing his feelings appropriately in a way that doesn't overwhelm him, and he clearly values her as a friend and he's probably petrified of risking the status quo by mentioning anything that would change the way she thinks of him.

Yeah I have no qualms with saying he doesn't understand boundaries I just think her writing and the things she focuses on are oddly specific and not really the problem at hand. Their schedule, the bathrooms, the water, the whole reiterating they're not a couple constantly. Like a normal person writing that story would be "an old friend came for a visit and it got awkward cause he had feelings for me", a page of text about his bathroom and water infractions just comes across weird.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Me [F32] with my overly generous co-worker [F34] making me fat

quote:

So this is literally the most first world problem ever but it's kind of escalating and I'm not sure what to do. My coworker is very generous. We often run errands in our business park, and sometimes we go for coffee on the way back. Even if she's not having coffee, it becomes a battle to see who can get their money in first. Take today as an example. When she went to get lunch, she bought me a brownie, even though I said I didn't want/need one.

This will happen several times a week and while it sounds great in theory I'm currently trying to lose weight, and as I'm lazy, I have to ration my treats carefully when I'm not exercising to accomodate. Once she's bought the items though, I feel obligated to eat them, especially if she's watching, even though I don't want them. She won't eat them herself as she's pregnant and sweet food makes her ill. She won't accept money for them either - not that I wanted to buy them in the first place.

She's definitely got worse since she got pregnant too - maybe it's hormonal? Meanwhile I have a drawer full of chocolate bars, muesli bars, biscuits and so on I don't want or need. She's so lovely, and I am grateful that she is thinking of me, but she's incredibly persistent and I don't want to hurt her feelings. A simple no doesn't work and neither does telling her I am trying to lose weight - she just tells me I'm wasting away! Ordinarily I hide them in my drawer but if we are having coffee together it's hard to get out of it. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to approach this without hurting her feelings.

Like, no joke as I was typing this out she came in with two Ferraro rochers to say thank you for doing a rush job on something for her - but she already offered me some earlier in the day and I said no! This is getting insane. She is going to make me obese! How can I say no when she isn't listening to what I say?

TL;DR - my coworker is low key forcing me to eat all.the.time, and "no" isn't working. How can I refuse more firmly without hurting her feelings?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Haifisch posted:

This is gonna turn into one of these things were someone ends up on my 600 pound life, isn't it?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Haifisch posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Force Feeding Real Hahahaha Just Walk Away From The Brownie Like Close Your Mouth Haha.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
How about, "Oh, no thank you, I'm on a diet." No? Impossible to form those words with your mouth? Ok, then I guess it's not your fault you're still fat.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Refusing to eat the drat treat just once will either make her understand or she'll get in a huff. Either way problem solved.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Outrail posted:

Refusing to eat the drat treat just once will either make her understand or she'll get in a huff. Either way problem solved.

she keeps hiding them after politely accepting, just say no and if she insist on leaving it leave it where she left it. next time she comes by with a "treat" she'll see the leftover untouched one and should get the message p fast.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Haifisch posted:

I (28F) am annoyed by my high school friend (28M) who is visiting me. He expected to be drove around, wanted me to treat him like he is my bf but he made it clear we are not.
It's fascinating sometimes the phrases or words that ESL people learn. This woman clearly isn't fluent, but somewhere along the line learned "apeshit crazy".

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

epsilon posted:

How some of you morons misinterpret such simple things and jump to the most ridiculous conclusions continually astounds me.

What did he misinterpret here? The post says "Uber and Grab". Grab is a taxi app in Southeast Asian cities only, so very likely that drinking tap water might be iffy.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Me [30F] with my husband [31M] is convinced my father [60sM] is meddling with my ducks

My parents live a few hours away so it makes sense that when they visit they stay in the guest room, right? My husband and I have noticed (and find it very odd) that whenever my father is staying there is a duck issue (I foster injured ducklings/orphaned ducklings until they are well enough to be released/rehomed.

Only wild ducks are released into the wild, I am not one of those people who just dump a duck off at a pond etc) but anyway, my mother has stayed alone and there have been no problems so that rules her out of the picture.

Whats been happening: About a year ago a duckling mysteriously managed to escape (keep in mind this had NEVER happened before) and he was the only one who knew about it. I wasn't suspicious, I caught the duckling again, checked its enclosure, I couldn't see a way it could have gotten out so I popped it back in. It didn't get out again.

Six months ago another duckling escaped while he was staying (keep in mind there had been no escapees since his last visit). It was the same situation, he was the one who found it running loose and when I put it back in there was no obvious way it could have gotten out. It didn't get out again.
He is always making negative comments about them, saying they are too 'loud' etc. We also clash a lot (our personalities are very different).

Anyway, the latest incident. The other night it was quite stormy, I had four decent sized ducklings outside for the night so I put them in their crate so they'd be safe. They were all perfectly fine the day before, no signs anything may be wrong. I let them out in the morning and one of them has died. I am seriously confused, it also looked like it had happened within the past hour or so. It had no blood on it either but another one had somehow had a piece taken out of its beak, it was bleeding. I was very upset and took the live ones inside to see what else I could find and to tend to its beak (which will be fine, thankfully). He was not surprised when he heard the news one had died, didn't say anything, only let out a loud sigh when I took the remaining three inside.

Keep in mind when he is not here there are NO problems at all with the ducks! Absolutely no issues. My husband has noticed this and he is convinced that my father is behind the issues, thinks he heard them chirping when the sun came up and shook the crate so wildly he killed one and how one got an injured beak (there was a small pottery cat bowl in there and he thinks that is how it was injured). I thought maybe they had gotten spooked by something (it was stormy) and it had gotten trampled, it was the second smallest though but perhaps a bigger one somehow stood on its neck causing it to suffocate? I have had them (and 50+ other ducks over the years) spend a night in there before and had no issues.

I asked my mother about it, doesn't she think it is odd etc and she said I was 'bringing up the past' when I mentioned how the ducklings escaped only when my father is here, never any other time. She was angry that my husband thinks he has something to do with the death of the duckling, said she didn't want a fight but became crazily defensive of him. and she became very upset, on the verge of tears. It was not a confrontational conversation, just a "Do you think he may have had something to do with it? We think he may have shaken the crate."

TL;DR: Husband thinks my father is endangering my ducks and caused one to be killed.

Edit: Will also add that when I was living at home he would run outside and chase them off the property, one time a small duckling became trapped in the property and before I could even do anything he had cornered it and threw it over the fence, the poor thing had tiny wings and would have landed quite hard.

Edit #2: Have come to the conclusion that yes, it is him who has been doing all this. It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that someone, especially my own father is capable of doing such things. It makes me feel sick. He will not be staying over again, or spend any time in my home where he may have a moment to himself. Thanks to everyone for providing your opinion from an outsiders perspective.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Serial duck murder.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

What the duck

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Outrail posted:

She refuses them all the time. In fact:

quote:

Like, no joke as I was typing this out she came in with two Ferraro rochers to say thank you for doing a rush job on something for her - but she already offered me some earlier in the day and I said no! 

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

blarzgh posted:

How about, "Oh, no thank you, I'm on a diet." No? Impossible to form those words with your mouth? Ok, then I guess it's not your fault you're still fat.

She tried that:

quote:

So this is literally the most first world problem ever but it's kind of escalating and I'm not sure what to do. My coworker is very generous. We often run errands in our business park, and sometimes we go for coffee on the way back. Even if she's not having coffee, it becomes a battle to see who can get their money in first. Take today as an example. When she went to get lunch, she bought me a brownie, even though I said I didn't want/need one.

This will happen several times a week and while it sounds great in theory I'm currently trying to lose weight, and as I'm lazy, I have to ration my treats carefully when I'm not exercising to accomodate. Once she's bought the items though, I feel obligated to eat them, especially if she's watching, even though I don't want them. She won't eat them herself as she's pregnant and sweet food makes her ill. She won't accept money for them either - not that I wanted to buy them in the first place.

She's definitely got worse since she got pregnant too - maybe it's hormonal? Meanwhile I have a drawer full of chocolate bars, muesli bars, biscuits and so on I don't want or need. She's so lovely, and I am grateful that she is thinking of me, but she's incredibly persistent and I don't want to hurt her feelings. A simple no doesn't work and neither does telling her I am trying to lose weight - she just tells me I'm wasting away! Ordinarily I hide them in my drawer but if we are having coffee together it's hard to get out of it. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to approach this without hurting her feelings.

Like, no joke as I was typing this out she came in with two Ferraro rochers to say thank you for doing a rush job on something for her - but she already offered me some earlier in the day and I said no! This is getting insane. She is going to make me obese! How can I say no when she isn't listening to what I say?

TL;DR - my coworker is low key forcing me to eat all.the.time, and "no" isn't working. How can I refuse more firmly without hurting her feelings?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

HoAssHo posted:

She tried that:

yeah I really think she just needs to say no and not take them, even out of politeness. If the fatty friend just refuses to take no for an answer and leaves them on her desk just let the treats pile up as some sort of awkward monument to her pushyness.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I asked my mother about it, doesn't she think it is odd etc and she said I was 'bringing up the past' when I mentioned how the ducklings escaped only when my father is here, never any other time. She was angry that my husband thinks he has something to do with the death of the duckling, said she didn't want a fight but became crazily defensive of him. and she became very upset, on the verge of tears. It was not a confrontational conversation, just a "Do you think he may have had something to do with it? We think he may have shaken the crate."

This is obvious, but I'll go ahead and say it: not only did the dad 100% kill those ducks, he has clearly done similar things in the past that his wife has tried to turn a blind eye to. Other animals? Maybe he abused her or other people in a similar way? A reaction like that could be powered by shame; maybe she feels complicit in some way.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
'No thanks... Oh all right."
- A person who's really, really good at standing up for themselves.

She needs to learn that no means no (and stop crumbling under pressure).

Also duck couple need to put up a camera. An obvious one. "Yeah there's a camera now Dad. We think someone's been having a go at the ducks. Maybe a fox or fox-like parental figure."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Me [30F] with my husband [31M] is convinced my father [60sM] is meddling with my ducks
:murder: him before he murders more ducks.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Fiance[24M] went to great lengths to hide spilled ash at my parent's house. In the process, he ruined a mattress and got an Uber without telling anyone

been together 4 years

My fiance and I were staying at my parents' house. They don't really approve of us sleeping together in their house so we stayed in separate bedrooms. We went to bed and I guess my fiance decided it would be a great idea to smoke in my parent's house (it's not legal here)

This itself isn't a huge deal as it's something I used to do. Probably not something I'd do when staying at his parent's house but whatever.

From what I gather, this is what happened: Fiance vaped a lot of weed and watched netflix. I could hear him giggling through the wall at this point and he wasn't checking his phone. Fiance was collecting abv for later use. He didn't have anything to put it in so he decided to hollow out my mom's display soap bar, put the abv in there, and cover it with foil he found in the closet.

Obviously, this was a dumb idea. The abv spilled all over the bed after he laughed particularly hard. This is a rough estimate of what he did from what he's managed to tell me. He poured a bottle of water on the ash, and when that made it worse he began to scrub the spot with the bar of hollowed soap. He forgot there was more abv in there, making it worse yet again.

In the end, there was a concoction of dish soap, vinegar, window cleaner and drain cleaner that soaked up into the mattress. The tiny spot of ash now led to a giant, soapy sopping wet area that covered 1/4 of a king bed.

Fiance decided, high out of his mind, that his only coarse of action was to get an uber and leave. He didn't tell me he was leaving and we discovered this massive mess in the morning. He didn't answer his phone until an hour ago and he sent me a text apologizing and saying that he panicked and would refund the mattress. He hasn't sent me anything else

I don't know what to do. He isn't replying to any of my texts or calls now. My parents are furious and telling me that I'm making a huge mistake to marry someone who would abandon me like that

tl;dr: fiance left a huge mess at parents and gtfo. Not responding to texts/calls anymore

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not allowed to pet puppies or kittens for the same reason that dad shouldn't be around ducklings. I'm just too ripped and strong. I keep accidentally crushing them into diamonds.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

cumshitter posted:

I'm not allowed to pet puppies or kittens for the same reason that dad shouldn't be around ducklings. I'm just too ripped and strong. I keep accidentally crushing them into diamonds.

I could use a guy like you on my farm, alfalfa season is coming up.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Outrail posted:

I could use a guy like you on my farm, alfalfa season is coming up.
Sure, sure, he's just gotta touch your hair first.

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Fiance[24M] went to great lengths to hide spilled ash at my parent's house. In the process, he ruined a mattress and got an Uber without telling anyone

I want some of whatever this guy's smoking

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
noooooooooooo the mattress time to ruuuuuuuuun

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
no mattress brigand will marry my daughter!

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I've done a lot of drugs and never ruined a mattress before. That must be some good poo poo.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

blarzgh posted:

"I know you're trying to be nice but if you buy me that brownie I'm throwing it straight in the garbage"

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
SeriousEmergency pooped in public (possibly private) parking lot near spouse's work
u/notsophantomshitter

quote:

First off a few notes:

California

I'm dead serious

I'm ashamed

I have IBD or something

It was (honestly) unavoidable

My car is not working

I've never done this before

My spouse doesn't know (this happened tonight)

I'm writing this from the toilet

Edit: I also have a one year hold on Jury Duty due to this condition, if that's relevant

My car is broken, my spouse (JAMIE) is working nights. Jamie works about 1.5 miles from where we live, so I walk with Jamie to work to make sure everyone is safe plus it's a nice, quiet walk for us. Tonight I walked with Jamie all the way to work and started to leave when I realized I had an issue. I've had about 4 really close calls before this, but every time have been extremely lucky. Stories for another time. This time, I knew I had about 60 seconds tops. No time for Uber or finding a bathroom close by. I texted Jamie (knows of the condition, not the incident) but it was shift change and the doors auto-lock. No response from Jamie within 60 second window.

I did a rudimentary check for a blindspot, some bushes, anything. The parking lot is fairly long and the street beyond it is all open and lit (obviously). I checked for cameras and tried to avoid them and ducked into the dumpster enclosure, dropped trou, defecated.

I looked up and saw a camera I hadn't seen before. It was directly in front of me. Obviously, I knew there were cameras and I'm certain at least one saw me walking with Jamie and probably saw me duck into there anyway. This camera was dead on (I think) looking at me so there's no real denying anything. I cleaned up with tissues I had on hand (wiped up and put the stuff in the dumpster). And then Jamie texted me and I went in the business to get rid of more stuff (yeah, there was a lot).

The job shares a parking lot with several other businesses, the dead-on camera is not part of the wife's job, but her job definitely has cameras. I don't know how many see the dumpster or not, but I assume a few do. It's a locking dumpster shared by a few businesses and there are a few homeless people around the area, so I imagine they have pretty decent cameras even in the dark.

I know it was wrong and believe me, it was an emergency I've done my best to avoid. I understand there are consequences and in a moment of panic I didn't think of all the consequences and knew I couldn't walk 1.5 miles with lovely underwear.

Notes:

I'm a fairly unique looking person and was wearing some unique clothing at the time. (Sports team from different state, rare in this area.)

I've walked with my spouse several times prior to this

I literally walked spouse to the door tonight, then pooped, then went back to the door.

My spouse is the gainfully employed one, I am not at the moment. I'm fighting this issue and if I could have, I'd have fixed the car earlier and driven. We chose to walk even when the car was working, but maybe I would have driven. Spouse loves and values the job. It's also a smaller company so spouse knows everyone that works there. I know losing the job would suck financially and emotionally for spouse. I don't want to be the reason for Jamie losing a job. Seriously, this is already embarrassing I don't want to gently caress up Jamie's life. I'm so sorry it happened and I wish to God there was somewhere else I could have gone. I'm terrified this will be the most expensive poo poo of my life. If spouse loses job, we're a month or so from paycheck to paycheck and we could lose our apartment. With a broken car, we're hosed.

Questions:

How hosed am I?

What can I do to limit legal/monetary consequences? Legitimately I do not know the law and while I hope people would understand it was an emergency, I have no idea the amount of poo poo they put up with and would understand if they have a zero tolerance policy.

Should I tell my spouse or limit their involvement to help them?

Should I email spouse's boss (I know him personally) and let him know prior to them reviewing tapes?

Should I leave anonymous notes with some money at each door apologizing?

Should I just pray it all blows over, not acknowledge it, never go back?

Should I get a lawyer?

TL;DR - Emergency poo poo near spouse's work, probably caught on camera. What can I expect, what can I do to limit fall out?

Edit from SA: someone link to a mad pooper gif from Bob's burgers. I can't do it from here.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 9, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That's probably not the kind of illegal dumping they expected to catch with that camera

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

OP is going to a lot of trouble to hide the fact that Jamie is a woman. Slipped up and said "wife" once, but other than that it's all really weirdly awkward use of "spouse" and avoiding pronouns at all costs.

What the poo poo is this? :psyduck:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Trying to hide personally identifiable information and sucking at it?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Might be a woman trying to hide that they're married to a woman to avoid lesbian poop jokes/perving

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bertrand Hustle posted:

OP is going to a lot of trouble to hide the fact that Jamie is a woman. Slipped up and said "wife" once, but other than that it's all really weirdly awkward use of "spouse" and avoiding pronouns at all costs.

What the poo poo is this? :psyduck:

Inescapable Duck posted:

Trying to hide personally identifiable information and sucking at it?

Yeah, I was going to say, I assumed they were just trying to hide specifics, but then given how many times they wrote SPOUSE I don't understand why they bothered to include a name for them. I think they might just be panicky and confused because they just dropped a deuce outside their SPOUSE's office.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Lmao he hosed this up like a king. However, this isn't something you tell your daughter not to marry somebody over, what the hell. They must hate his loving guts and are trying to use this to manipulate the daughter to get rid of him. Bad choice though, makes the intent pretty transparent. The guy should officially apologise, pay for the mattress and accept that he'll get to live with the story being brought up every Christmas but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

dog nougat posted:

The USA. For reals, I live in NOLA and there are pretty frequent boil advisories down here, it's pretty ridiculous tbh. Like the pumping station loses power for something like 20 mins pretty regularly.

And, y'know, Flint, Michigan is still a thing.