Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

It's a concrete countertop that wasn't sealed properly. So it's basically a giant hyper-porous sponge and impossible to keep clean because they cut corners and are stupid.

Even so, bleach is still a thing. It couldn't be that hard to have some intern come in on Friday night and wipe down those counters with a bleach solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Viscous Soda posted:

Even so, bleach is still a thing. It couldn't be that hard to have some intern come in on Friday night and wipe down those counters with a bleach solution.

Try cleaning a porous material with bleach then removing that bleach completely so you can prepare food on it. You'll never be certain if you got rid of all the bleach. And besides, whoops, a tiny bit of milk spilled and is sinking into the surface! Either I let it sit there and let it stink, or I bomb the entire place with disinfectant again :suicide:

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Viscous Soda posted:

And then seal it.

Is that pic for real?
My wife would go ballistic with a countertop like that.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
this eerie 3.0 silence rules

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

If you were to lock all the staff currently working on star citizen in any way, shape or form into a contained location, how long would it take for them to complete the game? (All features included)

In this scenario they still sleep, are fed, and have other life support. They can spend as much time goofing off or socializing as they want, so they aren't forced to work on the game, but they cannot contact friends or family, or spend any of their hard-earned money until they complete the game and leave.

All of the staff have been injected with anti-aging serum. Additionally, sleeping gas and tasers, straight jackets and more are used to prevent them from committing suicide or killing each other.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Trick question, it's the technology that just isn't there yet. It takes however long until the tech companies finally get off their asses. Clearly you know nothing about vision development.

Could be worse though, ask Ben, he knows all about reverse vision development.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Gosts posted:

If you were to lock all the staff currently working on star citizen in any way, shape or form into a contained location, how long would it take for them to complete the game? (All features included)

In this scenario they still sleep, are fed, and have other life support. They can spend as much time goofing off or socializing as they want, so they aren't forced to work on the game, but they cannot contact friends or family, or spend any of their hard-earned money until they complete the game and leave.

All of the staff have been injected with anti-aging serum. Additionally, sleeping gas and tasers, straight jackets and more are used to prevent them from committing suicide or killing each other.
2 weeks

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

The before pic was 10 seconds before Chris made a coffee, poo poo's hard when you got severe Wavy Hand Syndrome

Allows for record time wallpaper installations thought.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

You're not reading the right books.

This one is way better.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I dont know how you deal with something intellectually but hes not wrong on the other stuff. For this topic in particular.

Hes hosed up to probably need some of that mental illbess help tho

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Dogeh posted:

This one is way better.

Holy poo poo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AlbieQuirky posted:

I assume we've already made fun of "fideles quoad decedemus" at some point, yes?

Fidelitis quoth deroberts

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Fidelitis quoth deroberts

At this point his Name shouldn't be mentioned, out of respect. He should simply be referred to as "Commander" or "The Spaceman." Someone who knows Latin should hook it up.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 9, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dogeh posted:

This one is way better.

Oh my god

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Hopper posted:

Could be worse though, ask Ben, he knows all about reverse vision development.

reverse vision development.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

I though CIG's watermark was 123rf?

:vince:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

toanoradian posted:

edit: tax

What the hell are pop-up parties

I have pop up in the attic

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Tippis posted:

Well, yes. The trick is tracking it live — again, in a static screen, it'll be a non-issue regardless. The whole system relies on 1) the user streaming content, b) not making any effort to hide or alter the string, and iv) being pretty much guaranteed to capture something CIG doesn't want to show in public.

The last point is a given, but the rest is just their being stupid. Same as the people who have supposedly been banned or evicted so far.

e: qne, wtf

Typical blurs are trivial to reverse.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

AlternateAccount posted:

It's a concrete countertop that wasn't sealed properly. So it's basically a giant hyper-porous sponge and impossible to keep clean because they cut corners and are stupid.

Lol idiot, you know nothing about counter top development. It is just the first iteration.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
The pop-up parties are going to have "unplanned" auctions of real RSI office furnature as a fun gift to the fans.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
That other Smoke 'n Mirrors company (MagicLeap), has released a new video. This time it's an 'inspirational' one, rather than a demo of non-existent technology:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/06/magicleap_update/

quote:

Pattern
In fact, we can start to identify the elements that allows this peculiar phenomenon of a technology firm with no technology to persevere:

● A super-believer founder who seeks out press attention.

●Brand-name investors (in MagicLeap's case Qualcomm, Alibaba and Google; in Theranos' Walgreens, Partner Investments).

●Big-name board members (for MagicLeap it's Google CEO Sundar Pichai, for Theranos it was former top politicians William Perry, Henry Kissinger and others).

●Industry buzz and fawning media articles.

●Periodic promises of the most amazing thing ever – just sit tight and believe.

The parallels with SC are uncanny.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

Star Citizen is like when you invite your scrawny goony friend and his really fat girlfriend over, and they drop the good news on you: they're expecting. And you're like "that's great!" and ask when the baby's due, and they're like "we're not sure, probably anytime now" and that raises your red flags, and so you inquire further while they talk about how they're setting up the baby room and baby clothes and how daycare prices are atrocious and the schools nearby and all that jazz, and you find she stopped having her period like 8 months ago and they've never gone for a prenatal. Because she doesn't believe in doctors, you see. So they're going to do a natural birth with a certified midwife, of course. "Oh" you reply, and you desperately want to drop the topic, but you really can't hold it in, so instead you point out a checkup would still be a good idea, which gets her upset, but your friend tries to smooth over the situation and eventually they kind of nod that yeah they'll make an appointment.

So a couple months pass and you're having a cup of coffee with your friend and you go "so how's the baby doing?" and he goes "oh, it's all good, it's taking its time". And alarms start blaring in the back of your head so you ask "I thought you said it was almost due" and he goes "we must've miscalculated the date" and you go "oh, so what did the doctor say, is it going to be a boy or a girl?" and you can see the emptiness behind his eyes as with an awkward smile he tells you how they still haven't gone for a prenatal checkup.

Then a month later you spot your friend online and you really haven't seen him around these past few weeks, so you go for some PUBG duos and you're having fun, right, and you casually drop "so how's the girlfriend?" and you regret it almost immediately. Of course, she's doing fine. Of course, she's still pregnant. Of course, they haven't gone to the doctor. And with a sinking feeling on your stomach you tell your friend that they really ought to go for a checkup because the "baby" could be having issues.

And he just flips out, that you should mind your own loving business, the baby is doing fine, okay? It's just taking its time, and they want the gender to be a surprise so they aren't doing an ultra-sound. So why don't you shut up about it?

But a couple days later he messages you through facebook, apologizing for yelling at you, that was uncalled for. And you say it's cool, you're just worried about him. And he says he understands, but everything is fine, really, and he starts linking you to all these 'medical' articles about how sometimes pregnancies last more than usual and it's all healthy and natural so you've got nothing to worry about.

And so you're staring at the chat window, in which your friend is telling you how his girlfriends 11 months "pregnancy" is fine and healthy, and his wall is filled with pictures of how they've arranged the baby's room with so many comments expressing congratulations and support, and you can just tell that if you suggest a doctor one more time you won't be friends anymore.

This almost reads like it could fit in the relationship subreddit thread

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Since the whole networking discussion has flared up again with the 3.0 alpha i compiled a little effort Post for those of you that want to have some arguments and knowledge about networking and it's limitations from someone that actually optimized highly sensitive banking software and network critical applications. (these are excerpts of my presentation/pitch for clients, i can't post the full thing since it contains too much sensitive data)

quote:

No matter where you put your server, your farthest customer will be halfway around the earth. Your average distance to all customers is one quarter of the earths circumference. In a vacuum photons travel around the earth 7.5 times a second. The refraction index of fiber cables is 1.467 so in a fiber cable the photon travels 5 times around the earth (200ms per circumnavigation). In contrast, Electrons take 18 seconds for one circumnavigation. In most coastal cities copper is all but gone, however in more rural areas and the southern hemisphere we still see significant copper networks. On average the remaining copper ads about 5ms which equals to around 10km of copper wiring. Network Infrastructure like routers and switches, especially the conversion from fiber to copper and back will add to the latency. A typical switch processes 64-byte frames in roughly 10 microseconds and through intelligent routing this can be reduce to become pretty much negligible. Given the above numbers we are looking at a theoretical average latency of around 105-110ms to a client anywhere on the globe.

worldwide fiber network infrastructure (2016)

quote:

This brings us to the most important and most overlooked part of any application: Serialization. All your data that you send to your clients has to be serialized into frames and packets before it can travel across the internet. Think of your frame as a train, your packet as train wagons and your data as passengers in these wagons. Just like with trains, the loading and unloading of passengers at stops takes a long time and introduces latency.

The maximum frame size is 1518 bytes and it takes 8ms to serialize it on a 1.5Mbit link and 1.2 microseconds on a 10Gbps. A significant amount of latency is introduced in the scheduling of these packets both inside your network and on the internet.

A server can not send out all packets to all clients at the same time. He needs to schedule them. This is where the biggest challenge lies in most network optimization tasks. If your client sends a request to the server and there are 50 other clients in front of him, the packet has to wait serialization time * 50 before his packet gets processed and sent back. If the queue get's too big the server will have to drop packages. This is where software has to decide which packets are high priority and which are not, which packets need to be encrypted and which ones can be sent without encrypted as the encryption process adds even more latency. A typical scenario in banking is to send the share price change (not the price itself) with highest priority and all other meta data with low priority.

Infrastructure can to a certain extend alleviate the serialization problem by adding more interfaces to your servers but you will gain the most by introducing specialized servers and software to take care of this while your backend is tasked with with the actual calculation of the data.

This just scratches the surface of networking on the physical level. You can do a lot on the software side and with your actual infrastructure. This was meant to illustrate how no matter what you do with software, you can;t magically break the physical limits of how our internet is built.

Just shouting "muh server mesh" will not reduce latency or break the speed photons travel through fiber cables.

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 9, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Bofast posted:

This almost reads like it could fit in the relationship subreddit thread

Seriously.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Risc1911 posted:

Since the whole networking discussion has flared up again with the 3.0 alpha i compiled a little effort Post for those of you that want to have some arguments and knowledge about networking and it's limitations from someone that actually optimized highly sensitive baking software and network critical applications. (these are excerpts of my presentation/pitch for clients, i can't post the full thing since it contains too much sensitive data)

This just scratches the surface of networking on the physical level. You can do a lot on the software side and with your actual infrastructure. This was meant to illustrate how no matter what you do with software, you can;t magically break the physical limits of how our internet is built.

Just shouting "muh server mesh" will not reduce latency or break the speed photons travel through fiber cables.

Thanks, I am learned more stuffs.

This good for Star Citizen.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Risc1911 posted:

Since the whole networking discussion has flared up again with the 3.0 alpha i compiled a little effort Post for those of you that want to have some arguments and knowledge about networking and it's limitations from someone that actually optimized highly sensitive baking software and network critical applications. (these are excerpts of my presentation/pitch for clients, i can't post the full thing since it contains too much sensitive data)

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Solarin posted:

I have pop up in the attic

The mere fact that you call playing Star Citizen 'pop up' tells me you're not ready for 3.0.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
https://clips.twitch.tv/EagerSolidSalamanderCorgiDerp

Who could it be?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

I rate this post 'informative'!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Of course WTFO is the streamer who is recruiting org members by doing ship giveaways.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Tokamak posted:

Of course WTFO is the streamer who is recruiting org members by doing ship giveaways.

It's weird, after his 3.0 meltdown he's gotten a lot more shilly.

Almost as if he's realized he has no other option other than the lovely non-game he hoisted his Twitch flag on.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Gosts posted:

What would be the status of their skeletons? What kind of electricity would be used to motivate them?

These are important considerations.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Do we have any leaked footage from the 3.0 Evocati build?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

kikkelivelho posted:

Yes.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

kilus aof posted:

The mere fact that you call playing Star Citizen 'pop up' tells me you're not ready for 3.0.

It's as Ben as the nose on PARP's face.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[quote="“Tokamak”" post="“477202744”"]
[/quote]

Wait, really? I thought he quit. drat, that's hosed up.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Gosts posted:

This is how the 4th Stimpire started :ohdear:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

kikkelivelho posted:

Yes but it's all come from bug reports, which is how we know important things like "Yes the rings of Port Olisar spin again, and yes they go flying off into space for no reason again"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Doesn't WTFO being a trust fund kid or whatever give him the ability to ride this trainwreck until there's nothing left while claiming he stays because it's the only game he likes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Gosts posted:

In the last 6 years, RSI has infected four offices, which it has united into one nonstop agile waterfall sprint, CIG. RSI has origins from the Kickstarter Sham in which a bunch of hopefuls and has-beens rode the nostalgia train to riches. All studios except for RSI swore reasonable development time upon their citizens. There are no exit doors in an RSI studio, and all communication with the outside world has been cut off and drinking coffee has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to the developers and artists. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into an espresso machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with donuts and garage door openers. After the painful, 2 week surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps anti-aging serum into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the RSI is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their space jet nipples will be subjected parping around in space without a space suit. Offenders would also be forced to show their parps on youtube to soothing tunes and dulcet tones, and furthermore.

Otherwise, backers would be dazed with the worst type of development in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness all over Reddit. The development time would also triple every second, but no 3.0 would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all whale unit forces must buy more ships to block this effect.

However, entertainment is also questionable in RSI offices. Sporting events end with the losing team being forced to stick weapons through their heads, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands stretched out like rubber, flight races would end with the losers having to play the actual module, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves waiting for RSI to gently caress up, which also causes madness if the content isn't fed to the locusts. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Weekly reports are broadcast, and actors are actually murdering their lines just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into meetings and waved hands at haphazardly. Any film that does not feature some kind of a fuckup will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - subsumption.

All go, no-go meetings are also broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will not miss much. All citizens must boo at the presenters and try to spot flaws in the green screen, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause grief forever, making them immortal but feelings of grief tenfold every millisecond. They cannot stop watching, but they will also feel tane.

Forums by this RSI will be razed, and all the posts archived in the same way as their release dates are. The records are then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly. Promises are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Ship Artists undergo years of relentless and endless refactoring, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the wear another jacket. All employees are placed into cubicles and closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some employees are also subjected sleeping gas and tasers, straight jackets to prevent them from committing suicide or killing each other. Employees sentenced to Wing Commander archiving are locked up until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous system is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

All employees can spend as much time goofing off or socializing as they want, but they must all share one grotesque looking concrete counter for food preparation. They are stuck in RSI until they complete the game and can leave. RSI orders at least 1 million MoCap sessions every day, as they are afraid the artists and developers may overthrow them. But only one studio is cared for, and the rest are banned from drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching walls, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Commandos are in every office, and they ensure that netcode is never improved.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything but loving RSI with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and elite teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the office space of this sickening company.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 9, 2017